Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 07:28:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: IXcoin -- enough is enough!  (Read 8982 times)
AngelusWebDesign (OP)

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 15, 2011, 07:13:40 AM

I hope not too many people are taking this "fork" seriously.

Come on. Taking the BTC source code, changing almost nothing but the name, and trying to compete with Bitcoin (after mining 500K coins for himself, of course)?

It's not like he's actually solving any problems with this rollout. If anything, several problems with BTC (inflation, for example) are being made *worse*.

And people are falling for it?

To better illustrate what's wrong with IXcoin, try to picture what *would* be a welcome rollout. Say a developer came up with a fork, but also had a business partner who had lined up several websites/programs/an exchange/trust system/reviews system/etc. and rolled it all out at once. Then you might be tempted to think, "Hey, maybe this will be just what we need! This could take over where Bitcoin left off!"

But this fork is a total wannabe in every way. I don't know why anyone's buying into this nonsense.

Here is a post someone else wrote, which sums up the situation nicely. I will only add that "Thomas Nasakioto" is a re-arrangement of the letters in "Satoshi Nakamoto":

I mean it should be obvious from his original post.  He comes up with a japanese name and puts a japanese picture as his avatar so he can siphon off a supposed "Satoshi"-esque aura "hey, he is from japan.  must be awesome!!11!".  Then someone finds out he stole some random dude's picture.  He responds by saying "oh, I have him as an avatar because I like that guy".  Convenient.  On top of that, his name is found to be an anagram of Satoshi's full name.  Which is particularly odd because he advertises his real name as such and even went as far as to create a facebook account with the same/name picture to make himself appear as a real person. http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002513086401

And obviously the whole mining 500k coins before presenting it to the rest of the community.  All it takes is a little bit of research to find this all out.

I mean, is he claiming to be Satoshi? He better be. You just don't have two guys with the same letters in their names independently coming up with BTC and IXC.
Sorry, I don't believe in those kind of coincidences. I'm not a fool.

I mean, the British Pound and US Dollar weren't invented by two guys named George Franklin and Franklin George!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
August 15, 2011, 07:17:06 AM

I hope not too many people are taking this "fork" seriously.
I think it is you who is taking IXcoin too seriously!
AngelusWebDesign (OP)

View Profile
August 15, 2011, 07:17:48 AM

I thought about that -- just starting a thread about it gets people talking about it. I know what you mean.
I certainly don't intend that!

If this is a tempest in a teapot, I apologize.
Oldminer
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 15, 2011, 07:20:55 AM

If you don't like it - just ignore it.

Wow...

If you like my post please feel free to give me some positive rep https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=18639
Tip me BTC: 1FBmoYijXVizfYk25CpiN8Eds9J6YiRDaX
Clipse

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
August 15, 2011, 10:10:39 AM

All these stupid threads about a new fork, wether it changed just the name or not is pointless.

Do you understand the concept of free market? If people want to use ixcoins and make profit or lose money then its up to them.

Thus far ALOT of people have been profiting from ixcoins, not just the creator.

If I start up a new fork and call it bitixcoins and people want to trade it, its up to them and I have the freedom to decide wether I want to invest even 5minutes to create such a fork.

You will be surprise what people see as value were you can have just the name ixcoin meaning potentially more to alot of people than the name bitcoin and it doesnt matter which came to be first. Only a namechange can have a bigger impact or a greatest downfall, no one can say for sure right now.

...In the land of the stale, the man with one share is king... >> Clipse

We pay miners at 130% PPS | Signup here : Bonus PPS Pool (Please read OP to understand the current process)
timmey

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 15, 2011, 10:37:43 AM

Come on. Taking the BTC source code, changing almost nothing but the name, and trying to compete with Bitcoin (after mining 500K coins for himself, of course)?
The pre-mining of 580K Coins was just too much.

I've just bought my 2000 IXC for a very cheap 12BTC
http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/9859/eb6c.jpg
PiGames

Activity: 110
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 15, 2011, 10:48:13 AM

I doubt anyone will take it to seriously. Maybe some miners will just because they can mine 'bigger' numbers. But like you said..it didn't change anything but the name.
I've mined namecoins (because I like the idea behind them) but haven't done so with ixcoins, I don't really see the point.
Oldminer
Legendary

View Profile
August 15, 2011, 10:49:03 AM

The pre-mined coins were held so bounties could be offered to promote and expand iXcoin

https://ixcoin.org/wiki/index.php?title=Category:Bounties

If you like my post please feel free to give me some positive rep https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=18639
timmey

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 15, 2011, 11:05:31 AM

The pre-mined coins were held so bounties could be offered to promote and expand iXcoin
Even if he pays all the bounties as promised there is still a +380K overhead, the bounties sum up to ~200K.
Brian DeLoach
VIP

Activity: 166
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 15, 2011, 11:05:39 AM

Which only adds up to 228,500 ixcoins. He kept 351,500 for himself! (you really think he'll even pay a quarter of those bounties?)

He's got 2,109 equivalent in bitcoin at .006 exchange rate. Bitcoins are trading at 11.5 at the moment, so he's holding about $25,000. That's not to mention that tens of thousands he mined after announcing. The only person benefiting from ixcoins is the Nasakioto, who only ripped off bitcoin and added minor changes. I've got to hand it to him, he knows how to profit big off suckers.
MaGNeT
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1002

Waves | 3PHMaGNeTJfqFfD4xuctgKdoxLX188QM8na

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2011, 11:12:25 AM

IXCoin is fine.
You are just making free publicity...

The software is open-source and everyone can start a new blockchain...
If you don't like the chain, don't use it...
payb.tc

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 15, 2011, 11:15:23 AM

I will only add that "Thomas Nasakioto" is a re-arrangement of the letters in "Satoshi Nakamoto":

On top of that, his name is found to be an anagram of Satoshi's full name.

seems you didn't 'add' much Tongue
Nefario

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2011, 11:21:28 AM

He did change something, two numbers.

The number of blocks to be solved in specified time.

And the number of coins per block.

The consequences of said changes are:

A much larger block chain (storage wise), and the 21million limit will be hit much earlier than with bitcoin.

Looking at it from a free market point of view, comparing two products, bitcoin and....ixcoin.

What are the advantages of ixcoin:Get's to leverage bitcoin technology base, essentially it would be trivial for people who are already accepting bitcoin to accept ixcoin.

what are the dissadvantages: no one is really accepting ixcoin yet, massive initial inflation, steep drop when minting ends.

What are the dangers of holding ixcoin? Apart from their possible loss of value (if there is any there already) the possible (probable?) collapse of the network when minting limit is hit, or even if the network is abandoned before this event.

Sure go ahead with ixcoin, but don't say you haven't been warned.

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
payb.tc

Activity: 812

View Profile
August 15, 2011, 11:26:34 AM

What are the dangers of holding ixcoin? Apart from their possible loss of value (if there is any there already)

seems it reached a peak of about 0.009 btc and is now hovering between 0.004 and 0.005.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
August 15, 2011, 11:34:11 AM

Better i make gabicoin then...

Oldminer
Legendary

View Profile
August 15, 2011, 11:42:56 AM

Even if he pays all the bounties as promised there is still a +380K overhead, the bounties sum up to ~200K.

You will see at the bottom of the page it also says - 'Please add your bounties here' (I'm guessing this means more monies will be needed to cover these bounties?). As I understand it it has already been stated publicly that some of the remaining coins have been set aside for additional promotional purposes.

Btw, didnt Satoshi mine Bitcoins before releasing it to the public? And what were these coins used for?

wallet.dat

Activity: 253

View Profile
August 15, 2011, 04:45:06 PM

IXCoin is fine.
You are just making free publicity...

The software is open-source and everyone can start a new blockchain...
If you don't like the chain, don't use it...

This.  I don't understand why this infinitely simple concept is so hard for some people to wrap their heads around.

"MOOOOOOOM! THE MEATLOAF!!! F**K!"
shotgun

Activity: 98
Merit: 11

View Profile
August 15, 2011, 05:33:00 PM

Which only adds up to 228,500 ixcoins. He kept 351,500 for himself! (you really think he'll even pay a quarter of those bounties?)

He's got 2,109 equivalent in bitcoin at .006 exchange rate. Bitcoins are trading at 11.5 at the moment, so he's holding about $25,000. That's not to mention that tens of thousands he mined after announcing. The only person benefiting from ixcoins is the Nasakioto, who only ripped off bitcoin and added minor changes. I've got to hand it to him, he knows how to profit big off suckers.

People are suckers and only suckers care about IXcoin.

<luke-jr> Catholics do not believe in freedom of religion.
Mousepotato

Activity: 896

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
August 15, 2011, 05:37:15 PM

People are suckers and only suckers care about IXcoin.

That's what everybody told me about Bitcoin.

Mousepotato
AngelusWebDesign (OP)

View Profile
August 15, 2011, 05:46:44 PM

When you're talking about an open-source alternative currency, forks are NOT a good thing.

If you're talking about software, electronics, etc. then competition is great. The more the merrier.

But Bitcoin is already around -- it's open source, not owned by one company. We should *want* everyone's efforts concentrated on one electronic currency. Competition is a bad thing in a case like this.

It's less like Verizon vs AT&T and more like VHS vs Beta or HD-DVD vs Blu-ray. Until one prevails, everyone's going to "wait and see". You can't have umpteen open formats competing for the same 5,000 people.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: