Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 01:20:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: European Union is robbing its citizens' bank accounts. 9.9% to be confiscated.  (Read 33189 times)
mobodick

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 08:05:23 PM

Now group B decides not to deliver any water to group A. In fact, group B decides that since they don't want to waste their water on the infidels of group A they would much rather just wait untill they all die out.

You make a lot of assumptions and emotional appeals. But no, group B cannot be forced to deliver water to anyone. They can trade it voluntarily with others.
This example has little to do with assumptions or emotional appeals. It is how humans interact. History is absolutely full of examples of groups unwilling to share their natural resources and many people died in wars fought over resources.
If this group B cannot be forced into cooperation then what use do your DRO's have? Exactly, zero.
Group A will start a war for water because they have no future anyway. Instead of stabilizing this plateau of trust you put societies in a ring and go "Fight!". Sure, a winner will emerge, but at what cost? And who would be willing to pay this cost?

The logic is that science allows us to check the premises of our gut feelings of ethics.
It makes ethics more rational.

With universally preferable behavior the scientific method is used to come to a rational framework for ethics. This also allows to check the "gut feelings of ethics".

But then it must be wrong because as i've explained before there are no universally preferable behaviours. What is or is not preferable behaviour is defined by a point of view. Points of view are not universal.

Maybe you can give an example of one of those universally preferable behaviors?

PS. you still haven't explained what the actual function is supposed to be for these DRO's.
They are these mystical entities that somehow manage to fix these big issues between groups of people that in the end have to fix their own problems.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Peter Lambert

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 06:38:31 PM

Maybe you can give an example.
Say you have a water dispute between two geographically close regions. Group A doesn't have enough water to give to its people and the only economically viable source is group B.
Group B has plenty of water and because of that, they also have plenty of food and are basically self sufficient.
Group C also has water but they live so far away that acquiring that water becomes financially impossible for group A.

In a free world the clear solution is to have people move from group A to group B and C. Either move the resources to the people or move the people to the resources. Without the artificial boundaries created by governments we would not have the problem you are describing.

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
mobodick

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 06:57:55 PM

Maybe you can give an example.
Say you have a water dispute between two geographically close regions. Group A doesn't have enough water to give to its people and the only economically viable source is group B.
Group B has plenty of water and because of that, they also have plenty of food and are basically self sufficient.
Group C also has water but they live so far away that acquiring that water becomes financially impossible for group A.

In a free world the clear solution is to have people move from group A to group B and C. Either move the resources to the people or move the people to the resources. Without the artificial boundaries created by governments we would not have the problem you are describing.

And what if the people that live by the resources do not want to give up the resource?

deeplink

Activity: 728

In cryptography we trust

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 08:55:03 PM

This example has little to do with assumptions or emotional appeals. It is how humans interact. History is absolutely full of examples of groups unwilling to share their natural resources and many people died in wars fought over resources.
If this group B cannot be forced into cooperation then what use do your DRO's have? Exactly, zero.
Group A will start a war for water because they have no future anyway. Instead of stabilizing this plateau of trust you put societies in a ring and go "Fight!". Sure, a winner will emerge, but at what cost? And who would be willing to pay this cost?

Of course this is how some humans interact, but we still live in a pre-civil society. I'm not going to pretend I know into detail how a real free and civil society should look. And that is exactly the point: Neither do you. If you did, you should be made dictator of the world and I'd probably support you Wink The best way to create a civil society in my opinion would be to let the market (i.e. all of us) find the solutions to complex problems. That's what free markets do best. The market can supply defense agencies, law enforcement, etc. just like it already supplies basic necessities today like food, shelter, clothing, insurance, etc.

So in short, your solution to have a "civil" society is to use violently enforced political structures? Your solution is to use force to have group B to give up the resource? In the end you'd have to be willing to kill to enforce that. I don't see how it is a valid argument to use force, coercion and violence to get what you want in any non-theoretical scenario.

But for the sake of argument I'll bite.

You say group B has plenty of water. What is the reason that these people don't want to give up their surplus of water? If they have plenty, wouldn't it be in their own economical interest to trade with group A instead of outlawing themselves from the rest of the world? Because surely the rest of the world would take notice and refuse to deal with these people. I think it would not be in their own interest to refuse to trade if they had such a rare and valuable commodity.

Secondly, can you think of any resource in real life, that is

1) as rare as you described
2) necessary for life
3) can be held hostage by one group of people
4) cannot be engineered around (drinkable water can be created in many other ways)
mobodick

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 11:32:21 AM

Of course this is how some humans interact, but we still live in a pre-civil society. I'm not going to pretend I know into detail how a real free and civil society should look. And that is exactly the point: Neither do you. If you did, you should be made dictator of the world and I'd probably support you Wink The best way to create a civil society in my opinion would be to let the market (i.e. all of us) find the solutions to complex problems. That's what free markets do best. The market can supply defense agencies, law enforcement, etc. just like it already supplies basic necessities today like food, shelter, clothing, insurance, etc.

It's sad to have to explain that we, humans, are not capable of what we think is good behaviour.
The point is not that that is how some humans act but that there always will be people that will act like that.
We have a lot of built in biological systems that take precedence over reason and we cannot allways control all of these systems.
I may not be able to predict the exact future but i can sure tell you what will motivate people, even in the future.
I can also tell you that, for instance, greed is one of those built in systems.
Greed evolved because apparently it alowed humans to somehow survive better in the past. The greedy monkeys survived and it is us.
So any system you propose will need to be able to cope with these human factors or else it has failed before you can even implement it.

The error you make is thinking that humans are these mythycal rational beings. We are not, we are pretty amazingly irrational overall and its amazing we survived so long. My guess is that overall a general concensus of rationality started to form but it not something that supports itself automatically. It needs to be cultivated. And then it turns out that not everyone agrees so the potential of education has its limits as well. You can tell people what is best for them but not everyone will agree.

The point about violence is that it has been proven to be needed to organize large groups of people into something we call a society.
The less precense the state has the more violence it needs to excert to keep parasites in society low. This becomes clear from statistics on criminal activity. It is a fact that if you remove state organized control you get an increase in internal conflicts. People start strealing because they think (rightfully) that they can get away with it. The only known solution against this internal combustion is the threat of violence. That is the only thing thiefs will understand.
But this, of course, brings in a new problem.
Who is controling the controler.
And i think this is what we need to address.

It is not that there is no need for control overall, its that this control is taking on forms that are not in the best interests of society.
It is increasingly being abused to protect the structure of corporate entities instead of protecting the structure of society itself.

So even the free market entities will destroy themselfs.
If you have two competing security firms then between them the easiest way to compete is to make the other organization smaller. It is more efficent to just kill off the competition than putting resources in competing on product quality.
A bullet is cheaper than changing your ways so without a bigger force there is noone to stop them from taking the easy (and economic!) path.
So there will be a natural tendency of hostility between such groups. There will be a power struggle in no time. When such a group also starts spewing political rhetoric they can even get support from society and you have yourself a freaking monster.
And again, this has played out many times in different versions for different reasons.
The only conclusion you can take from this is that humans are not capable of sustaining their ideals and need help to at least keep society pointed towards these ideals. Without this help people will fork out each others eyes over the most stupid shit.
Just take a look at countries where family feuds are still accepted. People do these type of stupid shit. It is in our genes to just take and not think about giving. Giving needs to be asured by the largest power structures to make society work because people fail to do it by themselfs which invariably leads to conflict. The role of the large power structures is to prevent internal conflict.
But it is also true that by suppressing conflict this structure also can suppress usefull dynamics (and even some conflict can be usefull as long as it doesnt escalate too much) and that leads to oppression.
So as i tried to explain before, it is all about balance. And to be able to have this balance the big structure needs to be controled by society as well. Just not too much by group think because that brings out our non-rational part.
But for the sake of argument I'll bite.

You say group B has plenty of water. What is the reason that these people don't want to give up their surplus of water? If they have plenty, wouldn't it be in their own economical interest to trade with group A instead of outlawing themselves from the rest of the world? Because surely the rest of the world would take notice and refuse to deal with these people. I think it would not be in their own interest to refuse to trade if they had such a rare and valuable commodity.
Primary reason is that group A has nothing of economic value for group B. And they have a different religion and the gods of group B forbid them to trade with groups that eat purple things and it happens to be that the main food source of group A is a small purple cactus fruit. How convenient. But have you never heared the story that people who eat pork are unclean?
And altho they have enough water they know that their supply can end some day.
They are just greedy bastards and they figure its better for them to survive twice as long instead of sharing but having half as much water. Even taking the risk of not having enough water is enough to not share with the infidels.
They are self sustaining anyway so they don't need the broken economy of the waterless state.

Meanwhile another group somewhere has oil but no water.
Now group B is interested because oil is cool.
They make a deal with this group to exchange water for oil.

But. Group A still doesn't get anything and even worse, because of the water shortage they are unable to produce anything of value.
Do you think group B cares? Of course not!
They are HAPPY. If group A dies out it means group B has become stronger and it is only natural because group B is the chosen group, at least that is what the shaman said last week.
What they don't realize, of course, is that by making themselfs stronger and larger they put a bigger strain on their natural resource and in the end this leads to the same conflict as between group A and B but then fully within group B.
You get classes of people controling the water and classes of people being deprived of it. This will then lead to civil war etc etc etc. Like i said, history is full of these type of interactions (group X being selfish about a resource or just generally selfrighteous which leads them to think they are the only group that should survive and makes them act on that belief). Power corrupts.

As i said, most wars are about resources. This has always been so, no matter the explanation. Taking land means you take over the resources of someone else.
This is what humans instinctively do unless there is a stronger force above them stopping them from taking over.
It is what out ambitions lead us to and it cannot be fantasized away.
This is exactly why we are in this tangled mess of global relations and it is not something that you can solve by resetting the system.
By reseting the system you will force all these relations to become re-evaluated by everyone. This means massive war on all sides and total chaos. Noone will be sure anymore about whether they can assure enough resources for the future of their population (you need to think ahead many years to have a steady supply of resources to survive as a civilization) and the only way to be sure is to take it and sit on it.
Groups of people united under whatever cause tend to become pretty egotistical when pushed.

And you want these groups to compete. I don't think that is a good idea.

So in short, your solution to have a "civil" society is to use violently enforced political structures? Your solution is to use force to have group B to give up the resource? In the end you'd have to be willing to kill to enforce that. I don't see how it is a valid argument to use force, coercion and violence to get what you want in any non-theoretical scenario.

I propose that the threat of violence is the only way to ensure the cohesion of political structure.
One of the problems is that if you look realy close every single person on earth has a different sets of ideal.
So in the end, if you want a perfect society where everyone can do what they want you will get conflicts.
We can then write laws that prefer one subset of ideals over another but you can do that ad nauseum until you discover that everyone needs their own government to represent them fully.
Coflicts between people is natural and you cannot let all conflicts simply play out because humans let this escalate into fights to the death. The only mechanism know that can prevent this is the threat of a bigger force telling the parties to stop fighting or else.
Adults are actually big children. We have realized this and recognized that the world needs parents of some sort.
Problem is, our parents are becoming abusive again.

Secondly, can you think of any resource in real life, that is

1) as rare as you described
2) necessary for life
3) can be held hostage by one group of people
4) cannot be engineered around (drinkable water can be created in many other ways)

Water is scarce in large parts of the world. Those parts are often in wars with goups that have the water.
Food is scarce in large parts of the world. Those parts are often in wars with groups that have the food.
Energy is scarce in many parts of the world. Those parts are often in wars with groups that have the energy.
Land (for human use) is scarce in most parts of the world. A lot of wars have been fought over land.
In fact land is such a good general resource (it often has the potential to bring both food and water, both are needed for survival at the most basic level) that it touches humans on a personal level. Having and protecting a piece of land is seen as the penultimate token of achievement in many societies. Land allows the owner to survive. This scales from the individual level all the way to global-ish levels as do  the conflicts over land.

What would happen if the arab countries would increase oil price by 10x?
I'll tell you what will happen. The west will start a war against them to ensure their oil supply.
The war in Irak was because Saddam decided he doesnt want to sell his oil into the dollar economy.
Did you notice how the second Irak war was glued to the Afghan war? Like, "Ow, and we did Irak too".
It was a powerfull signal to the oil producing countries to STFU and start pumping.

This is how stuff works geopolitically and no construction of plan will change these kinds of relations.
There will always be people living nearer resources than others (we cannot all live in saudi arabia) and these people will have the position to control the access other groups will have to this resource.
What if group A was 20x larger than groupb B and the water could not ever be enough to support both groups?
Group B will commit suicide along with group A if they share this resource.
And this can even play out like the story of the cricket and the ant. Group X saves a resource (like food) for late and group Y does not. When the bad years come group X will have food but group Y does not. Group Y now has a very had incentive (survival) to rob group X of their food.

If you have no plan to solve these disputes then your plan will not solve anything and will destroy everything as it will force an evaluation. It will trigger a global game of dominoes and the whole structure we have now will break. If group X doesnt get its oil from group Y it cannot produce the goods that are needed for the survival of group Z and group W that does a lot of transporting of goods will lose out on the action and perish as well. All infrastructure, all production, all food suplies, all energy supplies, all medical care etc,etc, etc. Everything will stop functioning while the dominoes fall into their new stable point.  By the time we manage to get things going again most people will be without jobs and without food.
You'd realy have to hate the whole of humanity to give up on what we achieved now to go through the brutal process that will surely follow a sudden re-evaluation of relations in the world.
deeplink

In cryptography we trust

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 02:04:42 PM

The point about violence is that it has been proven to be needed to organize large groups of people into something we call a society.

I propose that the threat of violence is the only way to ensure the cohesion of political structure.

Thanks for your argumentation. I admit that your point of view is the position held by most people in society today.

I am going to stop here, because it is clear we will not be able to convince each other.

Our discussion has re-confirmed my bias to what the nature of most of my fellow human beings is. I thank the internet in general and some users on this forum in particular for opening my eyes to this reality.
mobodick

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 03:45:32 PM

Thanks for your argumentation. I admit that your point of view is the position held by most people in society today.

I am going to stop here, because it is clear we will not be able to convince each other.

Our discussion has re-confirmed my bias to what the nature of most of my fellow human beings is. I thank the internet in general and some users on this forum in particular for opening my eyes to this reality.

Just to conclude, this point is held by people for a reason. Humans are far from perfect and so are our ideas.
The problem with any ideology is that it always requires the consent of a large enough part of society.

Recently here in the netherlands a large group of youth decided to organize through facebook in a celebration of pure freedom from society.
Here are some pictures:

http://www.dvhn.nl/anp_images/article9396171.ece/BINARY/original/img-230912-159.onlineBild.jpg

I call it the human situation because these kinds of things are nothing new.
And yes, it saddens me too.
 Undecided
deeplink

In cryptography we trust

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 03:56:32 PM

Recently here in the netherlands a large group of youth decided to organize through facebook in a celebration of pure freedom from society.

I'm very aware of Project X in Haren. I am absolutely unconvinced by your, our politicians and the main stream analysis that forcing people to obey is the way to solve this. What you see is the result of not so intelligent people unsatisfied with current suppressive society, which uses coercion, force and violence. Opposing this with institutionalized violence called the state is the worst solution. Time will tell and when the SHTF I'm going to watch it with disgust from a distance. Because Project X will probably be a picknick compared to what is coming to The Netherlands.
mobodick

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 04:31:21 PM

I'm very aware of Project X in Haren. I am absolutely unconvinced by your, our politicians and the main stream analysis that forcing people to obey is the way to solve this. What you see is the result of not so intelligent people unsatisfied with current suppressive society, which uses coercion, force and violence. Opposing this with institutionalized violence called the state is the worst solution. Time will tell and when the SHTF I'm going to watch it with disgust from a distance. Because Project X will probably be a picknick compared to what is coming to The Netherlands.

I'm just convinced that we cannot do completely without.
I'm also not sure force is per se a good way to solve this. But often it is the only way to prevent incidents and promote stability.

Maybe a good thing about institutionalized violence (as opposed to naturally occuring random violence like being pillaged by the neighbours) is that it does have to act less to have an effect. Once a party is established as a controller there will be less competition for that role. This mechanism is a heritage from times when we were less evolved but its still pretty active in humans.

The reason it was teenagers that broke the rules in haren is a direct consequence of teenagers having lots of hormones that drive them to opposing the controller without any real reason. Their genes are telling them: fuck the police, I AM the police, I AM the youth and you will grow older and then i will beat you into submission and be the new top dog. Of course they don't understand this themselfs very well.
And after puberty we learn to control these urges and see that all we actually want for ourselfs is a stable life with food on the table for as many people as possible.
And then we start to see that this greater control mechanism is pretty usefull, especially when not acting. It's a referecne point to everyone in society who wants to use violence against a fellow citizen.
Of course this is the general idea and you can put forward good arguments about how certain situations will drive people into violence anyway and you'd be right. But all that would not be possible if there was not a more or less stable substrate in the first place. Having your rights taken away is meaningless if they hadn't been established in the first place. A few hundred years ago most people had no rights whatsoever in society, so we're making progress here.

But again, we need to be ever watchfull to prevent this overarching mechanism from smothering society as this is a very real problem. My feelings are that democracy can only achieve this partially and so i think we need new tools for controling our governments.

Humans cannot have a society in complete freedom and they cannot have a society under complete control.
In the middle we need to find a road that will ensure our survival in the long run.

deeplink

In cryptography we trust

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 05:07:44 PM

Humans cannot have a society in complete freedom and they cannot have a society under complete control.

I hear you saying that but that doesn't make it true. You are so convinced of your opinion, that you are willing to use force against me and other people that don't share your opinion. You refuse my right to act on my own beliefs. I reject this and refuse to obey rules that go against my conscience. As long as I am not harming anyone, I reject that anyone has the right to tell me what to do.

I see a future in which you will have to use increasing amounts of force to make people obey. It will create an opposite reaction and you will have to throw many in jail or kill them if they resist.

In my opinion you fail to see that you're part of the problem, not the solution.
mobodick

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 06:49:24 PM

I hear you saying that but that doesn't make it true. You are so convinced of your opinion, that you are willing to use force against me and other people that don't share your opinion. You refuse my right to act on my own beliefs. I reject this and refuse to obey rules that go against my conscience. As long as I am not harming anyone, I reject that anyone has the right to tell me what to do.

I see a future in which you will have to use increasing amounts of force to make people obey. It will create an opposite reaction and you will have to throw many in jail or kill them if they resist.

In my opinion you fail to see that you're part of the problem, not the solution.

Well, i haven't told you what to do at all.
I just told you a little bit about how the world works.

I also have hopes for humanity but they are distant because i understand that a real solution can only be found in biological changes to our species.
And these changes, if successfully selected for naturally, take time to spread because genetics is pretty amazingly slow compared to a human life.

Of course its a different thing when you're oppressed by your government.
That's absolutely undesirable and should be prevented at any cost. Power of the people and all that.
I agree that many things need to change. But its impossible to just swap out the ground rules of the global chess game while its being played. Real changes take time and have big consequences.
That's why real revolutions usually are bloody.  Lips sealed

Sergios

Activity: 64
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 10:30:50 AM

That cyprus thing is the same as the Icelandic people had/have to deal with. Iceland has it even worse since nearly every Icelander has to pay back all the loss form the Isave banksters. After the people are neraly drained and the EU is in trouble.. low and behold "Das Gösses Deutsches Reich" will save the day... but at a price. While most countries are struggling because they get hit left , right and center by companies that are leaving etc gladly accept the German's help. ANd seeing that the average politician doesn't have any brains at all, even most of them have multiple masters degrees from "reputable universities", and just agree with the German "aid" do not read the small letters in the contract..something I advice EVERYONE to do.
So conclusion the hardworking, normal people are slapped in the face yet again. Look at Greece (politicians go behind the backs of the people to get huge loans that Greece never could afford). Then the crises hit, Greece can't pay up and gets nearly drowned. Who are the instigators? the politicians and the banksters ( goldman sachs is one of them). Who is suffering? not the pricks that made the mistakes and also not the filthy rich (who could actually pay that loan 50 times over) It's Jack and Jane Public that are paying for their mistakes.
The fact that the filthy rich are now buying up huge parcels of land all over the south of Europe, and also in Greece, may be an indicator that the "crisis" was just a ploy to scam the regular people out of their hard earned money.
Low and behold now bitcoin and other crypto currencies are on the rise the banks and the filthy rich want a huge part of the pie but can't have any. SO like little children they throw a tantrum and activate their well oiled and funded lobby and PR machine to discredit crypto currencies. If they, with all their power and wealth didn't feel threatened in any way they wouldn't make a fuss about it.
Sergios

Activity: 64
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 11:07:42 AM

Well, i haven't told you what to do at all.
I just told you a little bit about how the world works.

I also have hopes for humanity but they are distant because i understand that a real solution can only be found in biological changes to our species.
And these changes, if successfully selected for naturally, take time to spread because genetics is pretty amazingly slow compared to a human life.

Of course its a different thing when you're oppressed by your government.
That's absolutely undesirable and should be prevented at any cost. Power of the people and all that.
I agree that many things need to change. But its impossible to just swap out the ground rules of the global chess game while its being played. Real changes take time and have big consequences.
That's why real revolutions usually are bloody.  Lips sealed

I completely agree with mobodick's views on this matter. To all the nay sayers and those that do not think mobodick is right I suggest that you read some history. The current system is one of the best, so far, we had. The problem, like with all kind of governments is the corruption level. Every man has its price. Also some may think that communism is a better way to go but it failed horribly and was equally plagued by the same problems as the democracy system.
A "society" that has no government and no "policing force" is doomed to fail and you are probably thinking of some clan kinship tribe thing. That wouldn't work either because you will always have some form of leader or governing body. "the freedom to do whatever i want when i want" is an Utopian view on things. It just doesn't work. A prime example is Afghanistan during the rule of the Taliban. Rapes, summary executions, etc because there is no governing body or policing force to stop it etc.
Do you really think that the ruling elite will give their power up willingly? No they will keep the reigns in their hands and no one else. that is reality. If you think otherwise that is your right but you do not know how the real world works. This is can be explained that you maybe a teen and do not have actually real world experience.
Did I say this democracy is the best thing that ever happened? Well on paper YES, but in reality? no but it is a far better system than we had in earlier times.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16]  All
  Print  

Jump to: