Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 12:58:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [namecoin] new concept of domain names alltogether possible?  (Read 1244 times)
speedybugsy (OP)

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 15, 2011, 08:04:45 PM

with the emergence of distributed dns's such as namecoin, could the fundamental logic of domains be redefined alltogether?

could a url be made to look like this?:

protocol://space.subspace1.subspace2.subspace3/folder/file?=POST_DATA

with 'space' being the domain name and the idea of TLD's and country name suffixes dropped entirely?

I'm writing this because I had a science ficticious hallucination last night and a white-bearded guy with a pointed hat and an e-cigar told me the domain name system was gonna be renamed to 'space name system' (SNS) and that those www.'s and dot-something's were gonna be a thing of the past.

I also saw something about desktops disappearing and 3d nodebrowsers...uh never mind

Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
August 15, 2011, 08:21:53 PM

with the emergence of distributed dns's such as namecoin, could the fundamental logic of domains be redefined alltogether?

with 'space' being the domain name and the idea of TLD's and country name suffixes dropped entirely?

I'm writing this because I had a science ficticious hallucination last night and a white-bearded guy with a pointed hat and an e-cigar told me the domain name system was gonna be renamed to 'space name system' (SNS) and that those www.'s and dot-something's were gonna be a thing of the past.

I also saw something about desktops disappearing and 3d nodebrowsers...uh never mind

Were you smoking bitcoins on a bit pipe?

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

speedybugsy (OP)

View Profile
August 15, 2011, 08:24:46 PM

dude.. don't ask
goodlord666

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

100%

View Profile
August 18, 2011, 07:23:44 PM

That's a rather powerful spell to use on something as trivial as that.

Mageant
Legendary

Activity: 1145
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2011, 08:48:38 PM

It's actually more consistent to start with the top level names on left unlike the current domain name system.

protocol > top level name > subspaces > folders > file
(everything neatly in order)

When surfing using namecoins we could use a different protocol identifier like nc:// or sns:// ?

cjgames.com
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2011, 09:02:08 PM

I saw the same dude, speedybugsy, holding a fresh pot of bitbrew: http://bitbrew.net/

speedybugsy (OP)

View Profile
August 19, 2011, 03:46:59 PM

That's a rather powerful spell to use on something as trivial as that.

Huh? Spell? What do you mean?
lazycodre

Activity: 25

View Profile
September 05, 2011, 10:58:46 PM

subdomains = suffixes?

I kind of like the idea of having an infinite number of suffixes for a single registered TLD..

keeps the squatters out.

Stalin-chan

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 12:07:22 AM

www.enjoy.coke

This is my new idea for name systems.
Sekioh

Activity: 181

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 08:38:11 AM

why the hell would you save the www after all that talk of redoing the internet naming scheme?

bit://enjoy.coke/

makes more sense at that point... because you could already get that domain if you made a top level named coke. Which is where we got all these other top level names from such as .info, .name, .biz

<OPEN MONEY | Powering Blockchain Acceptance [ICO]
███████████████    ▬▬▬▬▬▬ Blockchain Meets Mainstream! ▬▬▬▬▬▬    ███████████████
Whitepaper  ●  Slack  ●  Facebook  ●  Twitter  ●  Reddit  ●  Telegram>
Jessica

Activity: 174

View Profile
September 14, 2011, 10:09:40 AM

Hmm. Could be possible if enough people ended up using it. Spaces and subspaces sound complicated, though.
speedybugsy (OP)

View Profile
February 08, 2012, 11:07:30 PM

why the hell would you save the www after all that talk of redoing the internet naming scheme?

bit://enjoy.coke/

makes more sense at that point... because you could already get that domain if you made a top level named coke. Which is where we got all these other top level names from such as .info, .name, .biz

The first part (enjoy) would become the TLD.
Registering that would enable you to create urls like
...://enjoy.coke/
...://enjoy.pepsi/
...://enjoy.watching.pics.of.my.naked.sister/cherrypie_mayhem.jpg
for example Smiley

Registering "www" first you could sell as many traditional looking web addresses as you want and thereby adopt the entire web while youre at it...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: