Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 02:26:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: WHY SHOULD YOU BOYCOTT ICOS THAT DEMAND KYC?  (Read 583 times)
poutintsev (OP)

Activity: 164
Merit: 3

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2018, 08:18:00 AM
Last edit: May 12, 2018, 10:00:02 AM by poutintsev

KYC (Know Your Customer) is an infamous procedure we have mostly run into while dealing with banks.
Sadly for the whole blockchain industry we see many ICOs demanding KYC in vain.
Read below why you should boycott such ICOs:

https://medium.com/@filip.poutintsev/why-you-should-boycott-icos-that-demand-kyc-29a5b43904fb

My trust score has been ruined by fake negative reviews by lying users. Click on my "trust" and then "reference" to see for what exactly I got them.
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ICO Lancer

Activity: 182
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2018, 09:24:35 AM

I mean they're just covering themselves and playing it safe. I hate KYC as much as the next guy but it makes sense why they'd want to do it.
crampus

Activity: 252
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 12, 2018, 09:31:36 AM

all probably know about ICO in which they asked to pass KYC in the end all passed, and they were told to pay extra for etherium
Road445

Activity: 224
Merit: 11

The Experience Layer of the Decentralized Internet

View Profile
May 12, 2018, 09:34:24 AM

First, most of the bounty threads do not require KYC data.
Most people resist the need for a KYC bounty thread because it exposes privacy.

Mr. Art

Activity: 350
Merit: 100

HiveNet - Distributed Cloud Computing

View Profile
May 12, 2018, 09:37:32 AM

ICO with KYC is far away from the main purpose about why cryptocurrency being created
because there is no privacy anymore in cryptocurrency if KYC procedure will be implementated on every crypto project
just my personal opinion  Wink

sunX3

Activity: 182

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2018, 09:37:56 AM

Which makes sense why a lot of people dislike KYC so much. I wouldn't send someone a scanned picture of my ID either
JoBiLee

Activity: 392

View Profile
May 12, 2018, 09:44:50 AM

Which makes sense why a lot of people dislike KYC so much. I wouldn't send someone a scanned picture of my ID either

Agree. Always ignore ICOs that ask for it.
manlyxman

Activity: 168

View Profile
May 12, 2018, 09:50:11 AM

Maybe if you trust them with your documents. This is unusual but if everything checks out, I'd consider it. Such ICOs are really rare though
mariaana

Activity: 399
Merit: 16

View Profile
May 12, 2018, 09:57:23 AM

I consider KYC positively a good protection for investors and I am not boycotting.  Anonimity is always the game of crypto and there are people who are taking advantage of it.  KYC protects crypto from being used for money laundering and illegal deeds.
BitcoinBallerina

Activity: 308

Presale is live!

View Profile
May 12, 2018, 10:05:12 AM

I would never participae in an ICO or bounty that requires know your customer to do anything. I do not wish to expose sensitive information of mine to people that are not trusted and then having my information sold and then used by hackers to carry out illegal activities. Don't do it people, this is not right and they should find a way to curb this because they are getting more and more everyday.

GhostWithin

Activity: 644
Merit: 145

View Profile
May 12, 2018, 10:11:21 AM

ICO with KYC is far away from the main purpose about why cryptocurrency being created
because there is no privacy anymore in cryptocurrency if KYC procedure will be implementated on every crypto project

Anonymity is not beneficial for the state. They will fight it. Therefore, more and more ICO will require KYC. After all, this is necessary for our security  Grin
For the bounty this is a good way (the most effective at the moment) to deal with multi accounts.

But,

Be careful, when providing your personal information. There is always a probability different from zero that tomorrow you will take a loan in a bank of some country or you will be involved in money laundering and so on.

At a minimum, check to whom you transfer your personal data, the name of the company, which have registered the company, to whom, and so on. There are ICOs, where there is not a word about it, but they are demanding KYC. Such projects should be treated with double attention.
zikabra

Activity: 574
Merit: 139

View Profile
May 12, 2018, 10:12:40 AM

I joined crypto community and I never agreed on KYC. I won't invest in any project which will enforce KYC but it seems that more and more projects are doing KYC and I think in future all projects will ask investors for identification.
Whole crypto is going into different direction.
xOdiumNostrumx

Activity: 1064
Merit: 101

View Profile
May 12, 2018, 10:18:54 AM

The fact is that right now 90+% of legitimate ICOs are requiring KYC. Especially the ones that stands out from the crowd and where the most ROI can be made. So in boycotting these you basically loose most of the opportunity to make big gains (ofc if that is your purpose in the crypto space).
herromerro

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 12, 2018, 10:43:25 AM

I don't like KYC requirements but as one said they try to play safe. Maybe they become more reputable project too by doing KYC.
3kpk3

Activity: 882
Merit: 148

View Profile
May 12, 2018, 12:21:56 PM

The fact is that right now 90+% of legitimate ICOs are requiring KYC. Especially the ones that stands out from the crowd and where the most ROI can be made. So in boycotting these you basically loose most of the opportunity to make big gains (ofc if that is your purpose in the crypto space).
The entire KYC aspect goes against what Bitcoin and the cryptocurrency market stands for which is anonymity. My primary reason for investing into this market was because I was able to conduct financial transactions online without any outside interference by banks etc. KYC goes against this entire logic which is why I don't support and never will. If you are willing to participate in such campaigns, do your research since your personal details are at stake here.

marcbitcoins

Activity: 854
Merit: 108

View Profile
May 12, 2018, 12:23:28 PM

The legit ICO can't do anything about KYC because it was required by the regulation for the protection of both the ICO owners and the investors to ensure Crypto currencies investments will not be a scam and it will not be in used money laundering. If the regulation will not required ICO to facilitate KYC then the ICO will very happy to oblige because KYC reduce the numbers of investors but i support KYC because as long as ICO is legit and we have nothing to hide then this requirement will be peace of cake for me.
Sharcade02

Activity: 27

View Profile
May 12, 2018, 12:25:03 PM

I think these KYC are just there requirements, the government is the one we should be blaming. If not because of their regulations, we wont be seeing these kind of authentications with our accounts.
bitcoinliker999

Activity: 9

View Profile
May 12, 2018, 12:28:20 PM

Very interesting!
macchiato

Activity: 420
Merit: 103

View Profile
May 12, 2018, 12:39:56 PM

The KYC policy has its own good reason for implementing such rule. Besides, if it was announced earlier then investors nor bounty campaign participants have nothing to complain about. Also, complying to such rule is our own decision. The responsibility and the blame must not be shouldered by the team behind it entirely, maybe just 70%? Because 30% of it is the person himself deciding to risk his personal info despite of knowing that anything human-made is not completely secure.

ShareAccepted

Activity: 336
Merit: 11

Victorieum Digital Wallet Revolution

View Profile
May 12, 2018, 12:43:44 PM

It is very difficult to find ICOs that are not asking for KYC, this is the effect of having the US SEC invading the world with their own crap and threatining citizens all over the world.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: