Bitcoin Forum
June 25, 2024, 05:58:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: WHY SHOULD YOU BOYCOTT ICOS THAT DEMAND KYC?  (Read 600 times)
louie69

Activity: 322
Merit: 12

View Profile
May 14, 2018, 01:37:30 AM

I am also not in favor of ICO that demand kyc to the bounty hunters since they will already know your true identity and who knows that someday it will leak information of the person giving their identities and will be use in illegal activity like scamming or hacking of the person's account. Anonymity will never serve it's purpose in the crypto currency community.

❤   humancoin   ❤   Join our whitelist!      ❤   humancoin   ❤
██████                   A new era of charity                    ██████
▄ ▄ ▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  Telegram | Reddit | Medium | Twitter | ANN Thread | Facebook   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄ ▄ ▄ ▄
bitcoinbox

Activity: 675
Merit: 254

So far so good

View Profile
May 14, 2018, 01:42:12 AM

I will never ever invest in an ICO that makes KYC mandatory. The article explains well all the risks of taking part of the KYC process.
IMO the main risk is a leak of personal data. What happens if the ICO turns into a scam or if the team doesn't secure the data properly?
sabine80

Activity: 728
Merit: 14

View Profile
May 14, 2018, 01:54:04 AM

I will never ever invest in an ICO that makes KYC mandatory. The article explains well all the risks of taking part of the KYC process.
IMO the main risk is a leak of personal data. What happens if the ICO turns into a scam or if the team doesn't secure the data properly?

that's exactly how it looks like. i do not want to give my data to any people i do not know. no one can say what's really going on with the data. therefore, i also renounce icos, that kyc demands.
Azzhan

Activity: 210
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 14, 2018, 02:18:39 AM

I don't think KYC is necessary.
Because KYC authentication violated the principle of cryptographic money market anonymity, I did not agree that the bounty thread should be KYC.

DCC│Distributed Credit Chain
    Empower Credit, Enable Finance   
GithubFacebookMedium ‹‹‹dcc.finance››› RedditTwitterTelegram
Art99

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 14, 2018, 02:28:54 AM

Unfortunately I see it as a necessary evil as cryptocurrencies make their way into the mainstream.
Hallmader

Activity: 1123
Merit: 253

View Profile
May 14, 2018, 04:07:46 AM

KYC (Know Your Customer) is an infamous procedure we have mostly run into while dealing with banks.
Sadly for the whole blockchain industry we see many ICOs demanding KYC in vain.
Read below why you should boycott such ICOs:

https://medium.com/@filip.poutintsev/why-you-should-boycott-icos-that-demand-kyc-29a5b43904fb

Why do you have to boycott such ICOs? For me, I don't boycott ICOs simply because they are asking for KYC. I invest in ICOs because my personal assessment and the reviews I read about their project are saying that they are going to become successful. The KYC will follow much later. If I found out that the ICO I want to invest asks for KYC then I will just comply rather than totally forgetting the prospective gain that I will have from such ICO investment.

JACS|JUST ANOTHER
COMMUNICATIONS
STACK
██     ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████     ██
████████████ █▄
████████████ ███▄
████████████ █████▄
████████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████
███████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
▄█████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████
██████████████████▀▀███████
█████████████▀▀▀    ███████
████████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ████████
█████▄     ▄█▀     ████████
████████▄ █▀      █████████
█████████▌▐       █████████
██████████ ▄██▄  ██████████
████████████████▄██████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
███████████ ██ ████████████
███████▀▀▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀██████████
████████▄   ▄▄▄▄  ▀████████
█████████   ████   ████████
█████████         ▀████████
█████████   ████    ███████
████████▀   ▀▀▀▀   ▄███████
███████▄▄▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄▄█████████
███████████ ██ ████████████
█████▄    ███████▀    ▄████
███████    █████▀    ██████
███████     ███▀     ██████
███████ █    █▀ █    ██████
███████ ██     ██    ██████
███████ ███   ███    ██████
█████▀   ▀██ ███▀    ▀█████
█████▀               ▀█████
████▌                 ▐████
████       ██▄▄        ████
████       ██████      ████
████       ██▀▀        ████
████▌                 ▐████
█████▄               ▄█████
allycn

Activity: 420
Merit: 110

View Profile
May 14, 2018, 07:26:18 AM

KYC (Know Your Customer) is an infamous procedure we have mostly run into while dealing with banks.
Sadly for the whole blockchain industry we see many ICOs demanding KYC in vain.
Read below why you should boycott such ICOs:

https://medium.com/@filip.poutintsev/why-you-should-boycott-icos-that-demand-kyc-29a5b43904fb

For me the main reason I wouldn't participate in an ICO that requires KYC (never say never though), is because since there is no guarantee the ICO will be successful or even meet its softcap, why should I share my info with a project that might not even launch? Why should they make more money for selling my data? ... Please note I always research every project I invest in, in depth, but wanting it or not, luck also plays a factor in the success of the project.
chipzeru

Activity: 686
Merit: 39

View Profile
May 14, 2018, 07:27:24 AM

I personally don't like the KYC requirement but i think this trend is hard to stop. Almost every ICOs nowadays requires KYC in order to compliant with SEC regulations. Crypterium was the last ICO i invested in that didn't requires KYC.
matico

Activity: 504
Merit: 100

The Standard Protocol - Solving Inflation

View Profile
May 14, 2018, 07:31:37 AM

I find it disgusting that an open based platform like ethereum holds so many bankster minded operators of ICO on it's platform demanding kyc for community that it's value is in opposite of KYC! We can not let this continue because we are for freedom not bondage!

rarg

Activity: 224

The revolutionary trading ecosystem

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2018, 07:35:14 AM

I consider KYC positively a good protection for investors and I am not boycotting.  Anonimity is always the game of crypto and there are people who are taking advantage of it.  KYC protects crypto from being used for money laundering and illegal deeds.
LOL, how come you can trust strange people to protect investors personal data?
Even big company like Facebook can leak your data. The crypto world is very so wild, so do not believe in any stranger people easily. I do not think it should be boycotted. A few months ahead I think everyone will be more aware of the importance of personal data. The more people fear of spreading personal data, the ICOs that use KYC will not have big participants.

Bittalk12

Activity: 434
Merit: 11

View Profile
May 14, 2018, 09:27:44 AM

Are you serious? I hope you know what you are talking about. What if that ICO really is promising and composing of well known and big time team members? What if that ICO already built strong partnership before they will be released in the market? They demand KYC because they have to comply with the rules and regulations set in cryptocurrency to avoid Anti Money Laundering just like what other trading platform does.
bbdoss

Activity: 10

View Profile
May 14, 2018, 09:35:03 AM

KYC for ICO is a complete nonsense, since most of them accept crypto only.
I strongly believe that KYC should be performed only when fiat money is exchanged with crypto.
bolbau

Activity: 574
Merit: 102

View Profile
May 14, 2018, 09:38:47 AM

i think the KYC system is good. this is a transparancy to make sure that the investors and any related to the ICO get their token. and the token that they use is not for a criminal thing. this KYC is already used in the conventional bank long time ago, so for now this is just kind of a collaboration between an ICO and old idea. maybe until we find a good alternatives and solutions about this case.
charly1987

Activity: 9

View Profile
May 14, 2018, 11:27:45 AM

Will definitely use it!
poutintsev (OP)

Activity: 164
Merit: 3

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2018, 01:34:29 PM

Why do you have to boycott such ICOs? For me, I don't boycott ICOs simply because they are asking for KYC. I invest in ICOs because my personal assessment and the reviews I read about their project are saying that they are going to become successful. The KYC will follow much later. If I found out that the ICO I want to invest asks for KYC then I will just comply rather than totally forgetting the prospective gain that I will have from such ICO investment.

Because that is the only way to change things. If the majority of ICO investors would boycott ICOs that require KYC, then ICOs would soon notice this and stop demanding KYC.

And the problem would be solved.

My trust score has been ruined by fake negative reviews by lying users. Click on my "trust" and then "reference" to see for what exactly I got them.
masulum
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1597

hmph..

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2018, 02:00:32 PM

if developers not use KYC for ICO investor with huge value, how to avoid people, who use cryptocurrencies for money laundry (example) with join ICO?

I think, we can't blame developer watching investor with KYC, because real dev project will safe investor document and will never sell their investor data.

Last, research before join ICO is the key, if you think not safe to join ICO with KYC, skip it.

HOLD...
ChampionsoftheChain

Activity: 10

View Profile
May 14, 2018, 02:04:56 PM

It is a gray area with a lot of good arguments from both sides.  Personally I do not care for KYC procedures and it kind of defeats the purpose of anonymity in this technological space.  The person or group that can satisfy both requirements without opening up a purchaser to full disclosure will get my money for future investments.
ungongbuotan

Activity: 290

View Profile
May 14, 2018, 02:08:30 PM

I don't know how it started but recently a lot of ico have implemented kyc. For me I have a mixed feelings about this, yes kyc is a good way to know each other in the ico but some like to keep their privacy for safety purposes. I think kyc should be voluntary and not mandatory, its up to the member if he wanna share his private info and they respect others who choose not to share their private info as well.
hanson.field

Activity: 21

View Profile
May 15, 2018, 09:56:28 AM

i think that we don't have to boycott icos with KYC.
I know that privacy is important, and it's not ok for me for example when they ask for cell number, but if crypto wants to be taken seriously, crypto need KYC Smiley
Nagibator007

Activity: 238

View Profile
May 20, 2018, 01:47:54 PM

personally, I wouldn't participate in an ICO or a bounty that requires knowing your client to do anything. I don't want to disclose my confidential information to people who are not trusted and then my information is sold and then used by hackers to carry out illegal activities.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: