Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 07:28:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Buy and Hold vs. Market Timing : Which is Better?  (Read 442 times)
EditorX (OP)

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 13, 2018, 08:42:04 AM

Buy and hold strategies are often recommended for long-term investors who have time to ride out the ups and downs in the markets over a period of years. They are also typically appropriate for novice or uneducated investors who do not understand the markets but still need long-term growth or income.

Market timing strategies may work in any time frame as long as the market is timed correctly. This, of course, does not always happen, and no timing strategy has ever shown itself to be foolproof.

Which investment strategy do you prefer?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SuperD007

Activity: 294
Merit: 12

Treat People How You Would Like To Be Treated.

View Profile
May 13, 2018, 08:47:04 AM

I guess you also have the option of splitting the investment

Maybe something like 50% on buy & hold and the other 50% market timing.
no0dlepunk

Activity: 490
Merit: 258

View Profile
May 13, 2018, 08:51:55 AM

Buy and hold strategies are often recommended for long-term investors who have time to ride out the ups and downs in the markets over a period of years. They are also typically appropriate for novice or uneducated investors who do not understand the markets but still need long-term growth or income.

Market timing strategies may work in any time frame as long as the market is timed correctly. This, of course, does not always happen, and no timing strategy has ever shown itself to be foolproof.

Back in the days when I was refraining from a day job, I prefer trading over HODLing - because I have all the time to watch the market pumps and dumps. However, after the ATH I have decided to get back to the office and never trade that often - therefore I bought and HODL.
cyriljundos

Activity: 432
Merit: 10

Bitfresh - iGaming with 90s UI

View Profile
May 13, 2018, 09:15:08 AM

this is the chance to buy a bitcoin and hold it because if it pumps big money the harvest from bitcoin

Pursuer
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1163

Where is my ring of blades...

View Profile
May 13, 2018, 09:37:27 AM

both at the same time is best suited for most cases in my experience.
you buy some amount of bitcoin that you can afford to lose. lets say you buy 1BTC. you hold this amount as your long term investment but at the same time you can do trading with a smaller amount and because trading (or short term investments) are always riskier you choose a smaller portion of it. lets say 0.1BTC. this way you have your long term investment and also you increase it little by little by trading on the side.

Only Bitcoin
1020kingz

Activity: 350
Merit: 106

Telegram Moderator, Hire me

View Profile
May 13, 2018, 09:44:43 AM

For me i choose buy and hold, because im not pro in trading, holding a coin especially bitcoin is worth it, i know this coin will give me profit not that huge but enough for my capital. Im not dreaming of something big in return but if given the opportunity why not? Holding is the best strategy for a newbie like me.
Miraz69
Copper Member

Activity: 238

View Profile
May 13, 2018, 09:49:15 AM

I think holding Bitcoin is better option when you buy it. Treading is also good but at this case you must to have enough idea about treading, and it's also profitable.
lizardbtc

Activity: 448
Merit: 109

View Profile
May 13, 2018, 09:55:22 AM

I do both of these, however I think that for me personally holding is better. This comes as a result of me not being so good at watching charts to see the best opportunites. Most of the time I go in and throw money around, yes I can flip some but I don't really think it impacts me in the good way as I see only clicking with mouse and not doing anything productive. While with holding you have much more freedom as you only buy once and can yet even forget about how many cryptos you own. You have it written down somewhere if in future you want to take a look and see the value of it. But mainly with holding I can go and do something productive plus I don't get that stress I get while trading.
elimi

Activity: 255
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 13, 2018, 10:06:04 AM

I will use both because it seems to be making a profit that can double. Market timing strategies may be for daily profit
bitfocus

Activity: 532
Merit: 15

View Profile
May 13, 2018, 10:31:48 AM

Holding Bitcoin for long term is the perfect strategy as per I think.
SUDARMONO

Activity: 504
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 13, 2018, 10:32:53 AM

I myself prefer the second strategy, some of which I have coin I use some for long-term investments and some for daily or weekly trading, and that's the strategy I do.
Dudeperfect

Activity: 1190
Merit: 534

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2018, 10:37:45 AM

If I am not wrong then, in other words, you are asking about the difference between investment and trading. I believe that each method of making money out of the market has its own pros and cons and when it comes to trading one must have availability of time and flexibility to take decisions on the other hand the investor should have the ability to analyse the situation considering comparatively larger time scale and to deal with the volatility even when things are worst. I won't uphold any single method because I believe that it is the subject matter of the user and his skill sets to determine which one is better for him and the answer will differ from person to person.
Jenros

Activity: 85

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2018, 10:42:00 AM

Well for now i'm a beginner in it so i usually just buy and hold. I think i will learn other strategies to gain profit differently.
Tynovten_

Activity: 420
Merit: 101

View Profile
May 13, 2018, 11:03:28 AM

I have option for short trading and investment, i will invest on top 10 coins and i will do the short trading in indodax exchange. In the spare time i do my own analyze but in my busy time i use signal group in telegram. But there are sometimes have more times many do interesting things buy coin in one exchange and sell it in another exchange with certain price that of course have many different.

ajochems

Activity: 1305
Merit: 511

View Profile
May 13, 2018, 11:07:28 AM

Every traders had their own strategy.Some will use to hold huge bitcoin and some use to buy more and sell with in a week.Other may use to do day trade for small profit .My strategy is used to hold 50% of bitcoin and used to day trade 50% of bitcoin .With the profit,I will buy some more bitcoin.

████▄██████████▄
███▄████████████
▄███▀
████
████
████
▀███▄
███▀████████████
████▀██████████▀

▄██████████▄
████████████
███████████▀███▄
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
▀███▄███████████
████████████████
████▀██████████▀

▄██▄█████████▄██▄
▀████▄█████▄████▀
▀████▄▄████▀
███████████
▄███▀█████▀███▄
█████████████████
█████████████████
█████████████████
▀███████████████▀

▄███████████████▄
█████████████████
████▀███▀██████▀
███████▄█████▀
████▄▄██████████▄
▀▀██████▀███████
▄██████▄███▄████
█████▀██████████
▀██▀███▀████████▀

████▄███████████
████████████████
▄███▀███████████
███████████████
██████████████
████████████████
███████████▄███▀
████████████
▀██████████▀
████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
████████
|
Listed
on
BINANCE
KUCOIN
Gate.io
|
Red-Apple

Activity: 1470
Merit: 655

View Profile
May 13, 2018, 11:13:52 AM

it depends on which market you are talking about.
* investing in something that is more or less stable with a nice small and slow growth or investing in some business that has returns is what is suggested to long term investors who seek less risk and small profit and also to those who are new to investment
* investing in bitcoin that has a good future but is still risky and quite volatile is only suggested to those who can handle the higher risks.
* investing in other things with no future and extra huge risks such as ICO and altcoins is never suggested to anyone unless they want to gamble.

--signature space for rent; sent PM--
ladydark

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 13, 2018, 11:14:36 AM

Buying and holding for a long term is good for bitcoin investments and investing in a short term is better for altcoins as its highly volatile.Man have started to buy bitcoins and hold it instead of day trading which is very risky as well as i gives only small profits when compared to holding bitcoin.

Xester

Activity: 994
Merit: 544

View Profile
May 13, 2018, 11:18:02 AM

The best strategy is still the long term hold since we are talking about bitcoin. On other altcoins there are coins on which we may use it but for others it could not be used. In the field of bitcoin people who have bought bitcoin and have applied this principle have experiences the magic and we call it from rugs to riches. This point of time it is still applicable to bitcoin and if you buy today and hold it long term you may be one of the millionaires in the future.
turcalata

Activity: 574
Merit: 13

View Profile
May 13, 2018, 11:25:27 AM

There is not one correct answer to this question. I think it's very important to know when to buy and sell. Sometimes the market is shouting like that something is going to happen. But since we always feel like we are going to rise, we are lost because we move with the sense of FOMO. No matter what, it is necessary to think twice to move right. If I had sold the tokens I had been hesitant to sell or sell before the last Gox event, I would not have lost 0.2-0.3 BTC now.
Markmolotok1488

Activity: 322

View Profile
May 13, 2018, 11:27:09 AM

Of course, only a hold. For trading you need a lot of knowledge and time, this is not suitable for everyone. I tried both options and decided to hold.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: