Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 08:56:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: We should be happy tyranny is allergic to bitcoin, not sad.  (Read 4773 times)
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 03:24:04 AM

China.. China... China. Is not a democracy. I never understood why people were so happy to learn about China's love for bitcoin. Suddenly the country that is happy to see Tibetan Monks on fire became Disney World. We have our iPads and Galaxy S4 so we are happy.

Obviously I am in for the experiment and the long run and not for making a quick bux. I perfectly believe it is normal for countries or people to make money, in and out with bitcoin. Market manipulation or not, this is perfectly normal, it is pure human behavior. But to feel sad China is refusing to deal with bitcoin when you need a VPN because 2 million civil servants are paid to spy on their own on the net is bizarre. This is not a Nation simply trying to tax bitcoin users.

Bitcoin is freedom of speech. A notion a Chinese citizen cannot even google search. Hopefully most here are not forgetting this, while making money.
BittBurger

Activity: 924

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 03:32:46 AM

China.. Suddenly the country that is happy to see Tibetan Monks on fire became Disney World.

Good point.

Bitcoin is freedom of speech. A notion a Chinese citizen cannot even google search. Hopefully most here are not forgetting this

Again.  Good point. 

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
taltamir

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 03:50:06 AM

China.. China... China. Is not a democracy. I never understood why people were so happy to learn about China's love for bitcoin.

China the government was never happy about bitcoin. Chinese PEOPLE were happy about bitcoin and people were happy for them. As it meant thy were using it to bypass and hopefully overthrow a large portion of the tyranny of their government.

It was wishful thinking to believe this would succeed though because their government holds a monopoly on military power
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 04:01:28 AM

China.. China... China. Is not a democracy. I never understood why people were so happy to learn about China's love for bitcoin.

China the government was never happy about bitcoin. Chinese PEOPLE were happy about bitcoin and people were happy for them. As it meant thy were using it to bypass and hopefully overthrow a large portion of the tyranny of their government.

It was wishful thinking to believe this would succeed though because their government holds a monopoly on military power

Yes. It was. But that does not stop Chinese citizen to accept or send bitcoin. The same with Tibetan monks.
TippingPoint
Legendary

Activity: 905
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 04:15:40 AM

Bitcoin is freedom.

Enjoy it while you can.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 04:37:31 AM

This guy doesn't seem so sad. At least he did it to himself.

China is not the only country that shits on its people.

I don't think China and the US are far apart on this: https://talesfromthelou.wordpress.com/2012/07/30/nypd-consistently-violated-basic-rights-during-occupy-protests-study/

China is at least honest enough to openly control their people. The US tries to pretend they're free.

The citizens of both countries need the right to decide Bitcoin for themselves but likely neither of them will get the chance.

Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 04:48:06 AM

This guy doesn't seem so sad. At least he did it to himself.

China is not the only country that shits on its people.

I don't think China and the US are far apart on this: https://talesfromthelou.wordpress.com/2012/07/30/nypd-consistently-violated-basic-rights-during-occupy-protests-study/

China is at least honest enough to openly control their people. The US tries to pretend they're free.

The citizens of both countries need the right to decide Bitcoin for themselves but likely neither of them will get the chance.

At least China made its position clear: the red army' boots they use to step on their own people won't be bought in bitcoins... That is comforting.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 04:52:38 AM

The government never would have used Bitcoin. They actually have their own currency. The people of the country could have used it to hide money from the government.

taltamir

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 04:56:01 AM

some blog said that some newspaper said that some college professors said that police is violating human rights of occupy protesters, failed to produce any evidence.

I wish they actually produced some evidence. Remember the youtube video "don't tase me bro"? Or that one showing 2 cops beating an old cripple? Or the ones showing canadian cops forcing someone's eye open so they can dab pepper spray in it with q-tip? Where are those videos for this claim? Did all the occupiers lose their cellphones?

Also, its pretty damn ironic because the occupiers are the morons who keep on voting for pro-police state candidates.

PS. when a blog or a new site explicitly links the source of their reporting and it turns out the source is another new site and the blog is just a reprint then you should FOLLOW THE LINKS and actually link the original source.

PPS. that article is 2 years old, has there been any followup information on this subject?
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 05:01:13 AM

some blog said that some newspaper said that some college professors said that police is violating human rights of occupy protesters, failed to produce any evidence.

I wish they actually produced some evidence. Remember the youtube video "don't tase me bro"? Or that one showing 2 cops beating an old cripple? Or the ones showing canadian cops forcing someone's eye open so they can dab pepper spray in it with q-tip? Where are those videos for this claim? Did all the occupiers lose their cellphones?

Also, its pretty damn ironic because the occupiers are the morons who keep on voting for pro-police state candidates.

PS. when a blog or a new site explicitly links the source of their reporting and it turns out the source is another new site and the blog is just a reprint then you should FOLLOW THE LINKS and actually link the original source.

You mean The Guardian?

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2012/jul/25/nypd-occupy-protests-report

No new info. I'm sure the government swept it under the rug just like every other human rights violation. Hell I'm surprised blacks don't still have to ride in the back of the bus.

taltamir

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 05:03:12 AM

You mean The Guardian?

The guardian was the "some newspaper" in the "a blog said a newspaper said some college professors said". The guardian didn't verify its veracity or provide any evidence, they only regurgitated a few points about how a group of college professors published a study that states such and such.

At least they linked to a pdf of the study... which has since be TAKEN DOWN by its authors.
http://chrgj.org/projects/suppressingprotest.pdf
the above is the link the guardian posted as their source. They couldn't be assed to mirror it

PPS. Its not that I am saying that there isn't police brutality in the USA. the entire swat thing is out of control. Midnight raids on houses in ski mask wearing swat members where by policy they are to put to death all pets in the house... instead of knocking on the door at noon with a warrant
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 05:07:58 AM

You mean The Guardian?

The guardian was the "some newspaper" in the "a blog said a newspaper said some college professors said". The guardian didn't verify its veracity or provide any evidence, they only regurgitated a few points about how a group of college professors published a study that states such and such.

At least they linked to a pdf of the study... which has since be TAKEN DOWN by its authors.
http://chrgj.org/projects/suppressingprotest.pdf

Occupy is only one tiny example of human rights violations in the US. The shocking thing is that it keeps happening and citizens do nothing. What can they do really? Probably nothing more than the Chinese citizens can do. Be afraid and stay quiet.

taltamir

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 05:09:08 AM
Last edit: December 19, 2013, 05:21:28 AM by taltamir

Occupy is only one tiny example of human rights violations in the US. The shocking thing is that it keeps happening and citizens do nothing. What can they do really? Probably nothing more than the Chinese citizens can do. Be afraid and stay quiet.

Citizens do worse then nothing, they keep on voting pro police state candidates from BOTH parties.

The entire occupy movement is an astroturf retaliation against the tea party who are the only people who actually protest the loss of our freedoms. Tea party is enemy #1 for the republicans who ally with the democrats against them.

That being said, every actual investigation and evidence I have seen (which admittedly was not much so it could very well be wrong) shows that the occupy thing was one of the very rare cases where the police is getting falsely accused. If there were genuine rights violations they are buried beneath mountains of false reports
deism

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 05:15:10 AM

I see your point about not being overly upset that Bitcoin is not going to be easily traded in China, but it would have been helpful for the Chinese people to be able to bypass currency controls.  It would also have diminished the power of the government to control the economic lives of its citizens.  
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 05:15:18 AM

Citizens do worse then nothing, they keep on voting pro police state candidates from BOTH parties.

The entire occupy movement is an astroturf retaliation against the tea party who are the only people who actually protest the loss of our freedoms. Tea party is enemy #1 for the republicans who ally with the democrats against them.

Yep, that's right. I was talking to friend about the Boston bombing that happened recently. He was all happy that the LEOs handled it so quickly and kept talking about what a great job they did. All I could see when looking at the still images and videos was flash backs of studying WWII Germany. Jackbooted soldiers marching into peoples homes without Martial Law and without a warrant. Scary!

beetcoin

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 05:23:28 AM

so we should be happy that centralized governments will try to do anything and everything to destroy cryptocurrencies?
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 05:59:48 AM

so we should be happy that centralized governments will try to do anything and everything to destroy cryptocurrencies?

What would you do if they were championing bitcoin?

Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 06:02:33 AM

I see your point about not being overly upset that Bitcoin is not going to be easily traded in China, but it would have been helpful for the Chinese people to be able to bypass currency controls.  It would also have diminished the power of the government to control the economic lives of its citizens.  

The only way for the Chinese people to use bitcoin to its fullest is to have the Chinese politburo not using bitcoin. Now bitcoin will play its role in china, NOT the other way around. You do not need authorization.

No compromise.
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 06:04:10 AM

Yes.
Nancarrow

Activity: 492
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 06:44:29 AM

I suppose this is going to be the first test of just how well Bitcoin's revolutionary credentials stack up. We have this idea that it is unstoppable, that its a tool for financial (and other) freedom that responds to government sanctions by simply ignoring them, that it gives the Joe Schmoes of the world the power to store and transact wealth that no centralised authority can take away from them no matter how much it wants to. We need to test Bitcoin's robustness in an ever more hostile and ruthless environment. So let's thank the Chinese government for their eagerness to assist our experiment.

If I've said anything amusing and/or informative and you're feeling generous:
1GNJq39NYtf7cn2QFZZuP5vmC1mTs63rEW
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: