Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 03:31:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why doesnt someone make a cash only exchange?  (Read 4724 times)
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 08:31:37 AM

who says the website needs to be based in the US?

and we have taken the "cash" out of the equation

It would be great if someone could write down a half-page summary of current idea, so I can try and wrap my head around it.
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
exapted

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 10:49:33 AM

When I exchange money at a money changer counter, I am not asked for ID, so why can't money changers do the same with bitcoin?

In a country where bitcoin is not considered a currency, and where there are no regulations requiring ordinary businesses to obtain ID of customers who pay via bank deposit or other indirect means, then deposits can be anonymous because AML / KYC regulations might not apply. I'm not sure about that but I'm looking into it.

A money changer deals with currencies. Bitcoin is not a currency in virtually every country on the planet at the moment. That's why money changers can't "do the same" with bitcoin.

I was not assuming that Bitcoin is a currency. I ask, where is the precedent for requiring ID checking of customers for cash-only small-quantity Bitcoin exchanges, when the same requirement does not apply to cash-only currency exchange below some value per transaction?

Secondly, I have a question for anyone here: Iff Bitcoin is not a currency, then how and when should KYC regulations apply to deposits/withdrawals to/from Bitcoin exchanges?
empoweoqwj

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 01:54:55 PM

When I exchange money at a money changer counter, I am not asked for ID, so why can't money changers do the same with bitcoin?

In a country where bitcoin is not considered a currency, and where there are no regulations requiring ordinary businesses to obtain ID of customers who pay via bank deposit or other indirect means, then deposits can be anonymous because AML / KYC regulations might not apply. I'm not sure about that but I'm looking into it.

A money changer deals with currencies. Bitcoin is not a currency in virtually every country on the planet at the moment. That's why money changers can't "do the same" with bitcoin.

Secondly, I have a question for anyone here: Iff Bitcoin is not a currency, then how and when should KYC regulations apply to deposits/withdrawals to/from Bitcoin exchanges?

Because people withdraw fiat from bitcoin exchanges.
t1000

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 01:58:02 PM

I was not assuming that Bitcoin is a currency. I ask, where is the precedent for requiring ID checking of customers for cash-only small-quantity Bitcoin exchanges, when the same requirement does not apply to cash-only currency exchange below some value per transaction?

I would imagine a crypto only exchange would not necessarily need to comply with AML/KYC at this point. Bitcoin is either a currency or it is not.  Applying currency rules to it in some places and not other is double standard.

Did you find my posts helpful? Did I say say something nice? Your generosity is much appreciate.
BTC: 1G7chBLoYqGfdyfkrox53yDn6sS65PgFYk
LTC: LiYeFdbv5oxin9S3Wmn4v84LuGZ9nsE4XZ
empoweoqwj

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 02:52:49 PM

I would imagine a crypto only exchange would not necessarily need to comply with AML/KYC at this point. Bitcoin is either a currency or it is not.  Applying currency rules to it in some places and not other is double standard.

You cannot say "bitcoin is either a currency or not" unfortunately. Each country has a right to decide on that question, and it will take years for some to answer it. Very few have to date.
t1000

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 03:06:50 PM

You cannot say "bitcoin is either a currency or not" unfortunately. Each country has a right to decide on that question, and it will take years for some to answer it. Very few have to date.

Ok. In a given country that is governed by law, bitcoin is either legally a currency or it is not legally a currency.

Did you find my posts helpful? Did I say say something nice? Your generosity is much appreciate.
BTC: 1G7chBLoYqGfdyfkrox53yDn6sS65PgFYk
LTC: LiYeFdbv5oxin9S3Wmn4v84LuGZ9nsE4XZ
User705
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1006

First 100% Liquid Stablecoin Backed by Gold

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 01:57:06 AM

All businesses that are open to the public and deal with cash must have aml/kyc policies in place.  That doesn't mean they will check everyone's ID it means that there must exist policies and procedures to deal with it.  Just like a gold coin shop doesn't check ID for small deals the same would apply to a cash for bitcoins business.  Crypto to crypto exchanges will likely not need aml/kyc unless governments accept cryptos are real currency.  Some have, some haven't.

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: