Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 11:05:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Please help!! R9 290 CGMINER  (Read 21734 times)
miztaziggy (OP)

Activity: 432
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 11:43:32 PM

Hi wondred if anyone on here had any idea what may be wrong with my R9s (Sapphire)

The plan is for 5 on one board, I have 10 in total and 2 boards.
I am waiting for powered risers to come, so only tried 3 in one board. I used 1x risers to connect all 3.

Now connecting one card works fine, connecting 2 cards to the 16x slots (with 1x risers) works fine too and boots to windows showing the bios screen and everything in between.

Adding a 3rd card makes the screen blank until it gets to Windows where it appears. It does detect all 3 cards in device manager OK.

Now with 2 cards installed I can mine with similar settings to those in these posts with about 830 KH but every time I quit CGminer I get BSOD with ati driver error. Perhaps it's the 13.12 new driver I upgraded to?

If I install the 3rd card, CGminer opens but almost as soon as it starts, Windows goes to black screen and BSOD restart.

I am at my wits end with it. Not sure what it could be other than these:
- 13.12 drivers? Maybe roll back to 13.9 but do these work with the R9 290?
- Powered riser required for 1x PCI slot and not enough power crashing the card?
- Incompatible motherboard? I am using Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 with celeron 1155 processor and 8GB ram. Although with the same motherboards i have rigs set up running 3 x 6970 and 3 x 6950.
Funnily enough one rig with 1 x 6950 and 2 x 6970 only shows the screen when it gets to windows and is blank before that.
- Maybe the wire to short the 1x PCI slot, but I am using the 1st slot which doesnt usually require that wire, and also Windows does detect it as a card.
- Maybe the R9 isnt supposed to go 3 way?

*Image Removed*

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DrJimmy

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 12:33:54 AM

I also have Sapphire R9 290. My computer crash if I exit cgminer by pressing q, however, clicking x works fine. I don't know what the problem is.

Tried on two different motherboards, Z87 MSI and Z77 Asus.
pungopete468

Activity: 1470
Merit: 504

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 03:41:07 AM

You need to uninstall Catalyst Control Center completely, uninstall AMD APP SDK if you have it installed.

Google "how to completely uninstall AMD drivers manually" and follow the steps. (I don't like driver sweeer or other automated sweepers.)

Download the CCC Beta installer for R9 series cards and when you install DON'T FORGET TO RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR. I had a similar problem and that's all it ended up being...

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
miztaziggy (OP)

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 09:06:59 AM

You need to uninstall Catalyst Control Center completely, uninstall AMD APP SDK if you have it installed.

Google "how to completely uninstall AMD drivers manually" and follow the steps. (I don't like driver sweeer or other automated sweepers.)

Download the CCC Beta installer for R9 series cards and when you install DON'T FORGET TO RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR. I had a similar problem and that's all it ended up being...

Ok thanks, ill give that a try.

Why does removing and reinstalling seem to work I wonder?

I was going to try uninstalling 13.12 and reinstalling 13.9 and then trying the 13.11 beta drivers.

Which ones are you using?

*Image Removed*
miztaziggy (OP)

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 05:26:27 PM

I tried new drivers and doesn't seem to work.

I tried the 3rd card powered with another supply and that doesn't work as it should either.

Windows pretty much freezes as all 3 start to run, then eventually reboots.

On another note - my PSU keeps turning off. I have it shorted between green and black wire but after a few minutes it turns off. How do I get it to stay on?

*Image Removed*
Vivisector999

Activity: 541

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 06:49:33 PM

More than likely your Power Supply can't handle the load.  What type of PSU do you have?  If your planning on running 5 cards, you better have a few PSU's in your rig.

Check out AC3  @ https://ac3.io/
broken_pixel

Activity: 770

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 06:51:42 PM

I also have Sapphire R9 290. My computer crash if I exit cgminer by pressing q, however, clicking x works fine. I don't know what the problem is.

Tried on two different motherboards, Z87 MSI and Z77 Asus.

That happens with my 290x just close the command prompt and it wont crash.

GA-990FXA-UD5, 1x 7970L, 2x S1, AX1200i, RIVBE, 2x R290x, NEX1500, BTC: 1G9cQix8bMgh35MQ9wY3Rb9yNSSCtnoRmK, DGC: DFo9FcKYsutv9Vx5c5xUzkrt7VJdECZWTM, LTC: LaAN33aktPGaimN5ALL9kjHjuJekfmKfTh
broken_pixel

Activity: 770

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 06:55:10 PM

More than likely your Power Supply can't handle the load.  What type of PSU do you have?  If your planning on running 5 cards, you better have a few PSU's in your rig.

It is not a PSU problem it has to do with cgminer. I have tested my 2x 290x on two different boards, a UD5 with AMD chip, 1200 watt PSU and my RIVBE with intel i7 cpu with a 1500 watt PSU. If you press "q" it will reboot the computer, if you simply click the X to close the cgminer window it stops like it is supposed to.

If you plan on using 5 gpus you need to install the 13.6 drivers (I think) as they are the last of AMD drivers that support more than 4 gpus.

GA-990FXA-UD5, 1x 7970L, 2x S1, AX1200i, RIVBE, 2x R290x, NEX1500, BTC: 1G9cQix8bMgh35MQ9wY3Rb9yNSSCtnoRmK, DGC: DFo9FcKYsutv9Vx5c5xUzkrt7VJdECZWTM, LTC: LaAN33aktPGaimN5ALL9kjHjuJekfmKfTh
Orai

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 07:09:46 PM

i have r290 and there is this problem too.
1. run setx gpu_max_alloc_percent 100
2. It`s help me - run new cgminer BAT file, and then stop old cgminer process.
Fahim

Activity: 280
Merit: 101

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 07:24:22 PM
Last edit: May 12, 2018, 10:15:14 AM by Fahim

I do not know if this will help, but my friend had a BSOD with some customization.
I do not know how this works. But he says that everything is fine.
miztaziggy (OP)

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 02:19:59 PM

More than likely your Power Supply can't handle the load.  What type of PSU do you have?  If your planning on running 5 cards, you better have a few PSU's in your rig.

It is not a PSU problem it has to do with cgminer. I have tested my 2x 290x on two different boards, a UD5 with AMD chip, 1200 watt PSU and my RIVBE with intel i7 cpu with a 1500 watt PSU. If you press "q" it will reboot the computer, if you simply click the X to close the cgminer window it stops like it is supposed to.

If you plan on using 5 gpus you need to install the 13.6 drivers (I think) as they are the last of AMD drivers that support more than 4 gpus.

Thanks for the reply.

I don't think 13.6 will support the R9 290? I know that the 13.9 driver doesn't I have to use 13.11 or 13.12.

Got 4 cards working fine now, but add a 5th and windows detects a driver error and the 5th card doesn't work.

I can have 4 cards working in any of the 5 slots which should mean the PCIE slots are OK, but there is an issue with having 5 cards plugged in.

Any ideas?

*Image Removed*
gwedo

Activity: 83
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 07:03:53 PM

Could you share with me CGminer settings for litecoin (and other scrypt coins) mining??

Unfortunately I am able to mine only with GUIminer but it doesnot allow me to control voltage and temperature of GPU etc and I am able to mine on average 200 KH/s what is deeply below my possibilities
My PCs configuration is
-   1 x Sapphire R9 290 4GB GDDR5 with original fan (I bought Arctic Cooler Accelero Xtreme III but they refused to change fans I am still searching for someone who would change it)
-   16 Gb RAM
-    Intel Core i7-4930K
-   PSU Be quiet 850w
-   Windows 8.1
-   I installed AMD-APP-SDK = AMD-APP-SDK-v2.9-Windows-64.exe z http://developer.amd.com/tools-and-...-sdk/downloads/ and also  AMD_Catalyst_13.11_BetaV9.5

I downloaded CGwatcher http://manotechnology.blogspot.cz/p/cgwatcher.html but it doesnot communicate with GUIminer, so I tried CGminer 3.7.2 (because they write that 3.8.0 is not good? https://litecointalk.org/index.php?topic=6925.0 )
I downloaded it and installed into C:\Users\Gwedo\Downloads\cgminer-3.7.2-windows\cgminer-3.7.2-windows
(and the same I copied also into C:\Users\Gwedo\Downloads\guiminer-scrypt_win32_binaries_v0.04\cgminer)
I renamed example.conf to CGminer.conf a and into this I wrote the same things from http://rumorscity.com/2013/12/03/litecoin-gpu-mining-with-amd-r9-290-and-r9-290x-sweet-spot-for-1000khashsec/ but I doesnot work so I adjust it
{
“pools” : [
{
"url" : "stratum+tcp://cryptoworld.eu:3333",
"user" : "<username>.<myworker>",
"pass" : "<passwrd>"
}
],

“intensity” : “18”, ##I wrote here lower number in comparison with instructions
“vectors” : “1”,
“worksize” : “256”,
“lookup-gap” : “2”,
“thread-concurrency” : “32768”,
“gpu-engine” : “940”, ## I wrote here lower number in comparison with instructions
“gpu-fan” : “40-100”,
“gpu-memclock” : “1350”,
“gpu-powertune” : “20”,
“temp-cutoff” : “99”,
“temp-overheat” : “85”, ## I wrote here lower number in comparison with instructions
“temp-target” : “80”, ## I wrote here lower number in comparison with instructions

“api-port” : “4028”,
“expiry” : “120”,
“failover-only” : true,
“gpu-threads” : “1”,

“log” : “5”,
“queue” : “1”,
“scan-time” : “60”,
“temp-hysteresis” : “3”,

“scrypt” : true,
“kernel” : “scrypt”,
“kernel-path” : “/usr/local/bin” ##I would write here another path but I dont know on which file i tis pointing at
}

But this doesnot work – computer freezes and GPU is making sounds like it could die in a moment (GUI miner with intensity 20 was more like loud fan)
So I tried different advices, to create „start-ltc.bat“
But with the same result – computer frezes after 30-120 secunds
In this file I wrote
color 02
setx GPU_MAXALLOC_PERCENT 100
cgminer --scrypt --no-submit-stale -o (cryptoworld.eu:3333) -u (worker) -p (psw) --thread-concurrency 32768 --gpu-fan 90-100 --temp-overheat 80 --intensity 14 --worksize 256 -g 1 --gpu-engine 920-1000 --lookup-gap 2 --auto-gpu --temp-target 63 --temp-overheat 65

or I tried to lower numbers to
color 02
setx GPU_MAXALLOC_PERCENT 50
cgminer --scrypt --no-submit-stale -o (http://cryptoworld.eu:3333) -u (worker) -p (psw) --thread-concurrency 8192 --gpu-fan 60-80 --temp-overheat 63 --intensity 12 --worksize 256 -g 1 --gpu-engine 800-900 --lookup-gap 2
##(i wrote here http... because it apperaed message cannot regognize url)

I also tried instructions from http://cryptocur.com/litecoin/litecoin-ltc-gpu-mining/ so …in order for the litecoin client to support mining you’ll have to create an ini file in the %appdata%\litecoin folder. And rename it to litecoin.conf
What I did but nothing hapened.
 I tried to find something also in https://litecointalk.org/index.php?topic=6842.600 but there is anything I coould use.

Could you help me what I made wrong and what I should do. It seems to me in discussons they expect I know everything and they explain just one half
Does it matter in which folder I install LitecoinQT and CGminer or not?
Perhaps I should delete some XXX.conf files in order to have only one but which I should delete?

Thanks in advance

Hello world
JKBtCn

Activity: 224

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 12:15:20 PM

4x R9 290x with windows 7 using wifi for Internet.
cgminer and guiminer crash after 1-2 seconds. Cant even get running. Seems like driver issue. Running catalyst 13.11 and cgminer 3.7.2 (tried others versions). Wifi is ok yea?

Any ideas on what to do?

NXT-XFAH-7N9C-6AS6-B3GLZ                BTC: 1MMzqYNNqQMMhY524Z9ThuQrRQW2whCmGk
NHZ: 8709719431783299770                 QORA | 2ND GEN | NEW SOURCE CODE | Qi24ssRqmEo3Wepv9pgdmqNuTDKQByiEfd
tramphuochuy

Activity: 193

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 06:10:23 PM

4x R9 290x with windows 7 using wifi for Internet.
cgminer and guiminer crash after 1-2 seconds. Cant even get running. Seems like driver issue. Running catalyst 13.11 and cgminer 3.7.2 (tried others versions). Wifi is ok yea?

Any ideas on what to do?

Delete all .bin file in cgminer folder

chuck2

Activity: 1

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 03:34:36 PM

Hi wondred if anyone on here had any idea what may be wrong with my R9s (Sapphire)

The plan is for 5 on one board, I have 10 in total and 2 boards.
I am waiting for powered risers to come, so only tried 3 in one board. I used 1x risers to connect all 3.

Now connecting one card works fine, connecting 2 cards to the 16x slots (with 1x risers) works fine too and boots to windows showing the bios screen and everything in between.

Adding a 3rd card makes the screen blank until it gets to Windows where it appears. It does detect all 3 cards in device manager OK.

Now with 2 cards installed I can mine with similar settings to those in these posts with about 830 KH but every time I quit CGminer I get BSOD with ati driver error. Perhaps it's the 13.12 new driver I upgraded to?

If I install the 3rd card, CGminer opens but almost as soon as it starts, Windows goes to black screen and BSOD restart.

I am at my wits end with it. Not sure what it could be other than these:
- 13.12 drivers? Maybe roll back to 13.9 but do these work with the R9 290?
- Powered riser required for 1x PCI slot and not enough power crashing the card?
- Incompatible motherboard? I am using Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 with celeron 1155 processor and 8GB ram. Although with the same motherboards i have rigs set up running 3 x 6970 and 3 x 6950.
Funnily enough one rig with 1 x 6950 and 2 x 6970 only shows the screen when it gets to windows and is blank before that.
- Maybe the wire to short the 1x PCI slot, but I am using the 1st slot which doesnt usually require that wire, and also Windows does detect it as a card.
- Maybe the R9 isnt supposed to go 3 way?

I have this same issue,  I get a BSOD when I press q to quit in cgminer with an R9 290,  I can just close the window and it'll quit out fine.  I found the issue for me is when I change the gpu-fan settings,  if I don't touch that setting it works fine and I can press q to quit without issue.  If I change the setting and close the window, the fan will still spin at whatever setting I told it instead of going back down,  I use Afterburner to spin the fan back down as needed.  I did not have this issue with cgminer and a 6870.  My guess is something in cgminer's shutdown sequence and fan settings doesn't sit well with a 290.

I was using Catalyst 13.12 and changed to 13.11 beta using the uninstall/install directions in this thread, but that didn't change it.
maugli

Activity: 1

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 05:48:06 PM

Well. I could be added to the list of people heaving the same issues with the multiple cards.
I have tried everything i read on this forum and on others, and so far the things are getting worse.
On win7 three cards were stable on 13.12 with win8 it crashes as soon as the third card is turned on.
The cards are MSI R9 290 all the same.

Did anyone make the R9 290 series work properly in bands of 4 or 5?

If not then the simple $45.00 board with three PCI-e slots  will become a solution. Will have to make more of them. :-(

richtrix

Activity: 11

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 12:10:09 AM
Last edit: January 26, 2014, 12:22:09 AM by richtrix

For the folks who are using multiple PSU and complaining that the 2nd PSU is shutting down I am pretty sure this is not because you are overloading the PSU with the card but that you are sending excessive current to the primary PSU and tripping the internal breaker. I've fried a card by having it run on the 12v MB power of the primary and the 12v aux power of the secondary PSU. If, for example, we have PSU1 running at 12.3volts and PSU 2 is running at 11.9V that difference, will cause current to flow from one PSU to another. There may be other factors with combining of multiple PSU rails that could cause this problem as well. The last time I accidentally set something like this up. The secondary PSU cut off and afterward I noticed that the IEC power cord that goes to the wall was was HOT and limp as a noodle. It then subsequently cooled and was RIGID... Like a stick and you could snap and shatter the wiring that had re-solidified. The PSU was fine, the cable was toast. There is a fix for this though. I would recommend that if you use 2 PSUs you use powered risers connected to the secondary PSU that is providing the Molex connected aux power. On those powered risers sever the 12V connections to the motherboard. Pin 1-3 on side B (I think) and 2-3 on side A. Double check those are the right pin somewhere. I always forget which side is A and B and have to look at a picture or riser I've already modified.
dmeter

Activity: 630

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 06:03:06 PM

may bat file

setx GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100
setx GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS 1
C:\multipool\cgminer.exe  --config C:\multipool\cgminer.conf

cgminer.config

{
"pools" : [
       {
      "name" : "poolerino",
      "url" : "stratum+tcp://doge.poolerino.com:3334",
      "user" : "xxxxx",
      "pass" : "x",
      "pool-priority" : "0"
   },          
        {
                "name" : "multipool-doge",
      "url" : "stratum+tcp://eu.multipool.us:3352",
      "user" : "xxxx.1",
      "pool-priority" : "1"
   },
   {
      "name" : "dogehouse",
      "url" : "stratum+tcp://stratum.dogehouse.org:3334",
      "user" : "xxxx.1",
      "pool-priority" : "3"
   }  
],
"api-allow" : "W:127.0.0.1",
"api-listen" : true,
"api-port" : "4028",
"failover-only" : true,
"scrypt" : true,
"auto-fan" : true,
"auto-gpu" : true,
"gpu-threads" : "2",  (---------if like high tc choise 1)
"gpu-engine" : "1000,950,950,1000",
"gpu-fan" : "50-90",
"gpu-memclock" : "1450,1500,1500,1450",
"gpu-powertune" : "5,5,5",
"intensity" : "17,20,20,20",
"temp-target" : "85",
"temp-overheat" : "97",
"temp-cutoff" : "99",
"temp-hysteresis" : "2",
"lookup-gap" : "2",
"thread-concurrency" : "29756,29756,29756"  (--------- if like biger number to 37756 change gpu-threads to 1)
}

normaly this is 2 PSU

one PSU name primary power

MB,one GPU or 2 card and all power riser
second PSU power only GPU not molex power riser
revoltex

Activity: 2

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 01:53:00 PM
Last edit: January 31, 2014, 02:25:23 PM by revoltex

Hi,

I have the same problem with Sapphire R9 290 2x also BSOD, and blackscreen issue's.
The BSOD issue didnt occur lately anymore although (because i dont open the browser anymore) i still get the black screen as soon as it needs to do some work or it crashes when opening MSI afterburner.
Also after a few hours mining the second card crashed and the first card kept on mining, and they use the exact same settings 25500 TC Worksize: 512 Intensity-19. (830-850 khash each)

The rig setup is as following.
CPU: AMD Sempron
RAM: Kingston Hyper X 2 x 4GB
MoBo: Asrock 970 Extreme 4
GPU: 2 x R9 290 (sapphire)
PSU: Aerocool Strike-X 1100 Watt

Im using as mining program GUIMiner, and as OC software MSI Afterburner (Core clock: 1000  Memory clock: 1375 Fan 70%)

I've been told that Linux BAMT works better than windows with the R9 290 graphics card.
Maybe that is something to give it a try.

Can someone try to take a stab at the problem why the second card fails after a period of time.
Because it has ran perfectly the several days and yesterday evening i did a reboot on it and started the mining process.
And today i connect to the machine and i see the second CGminer only has 560 shares and the other card has 5k + and still mining.
Also when i started it again without a reboot it couldn't get higher than 150-160 khash.

AMD CCC 13.11 installed stock drivers from sapphire.
Tryed several other drivers without success with drivers not even detecting the graphic cards.
BTCIRV

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 05:03:55 PM
Last edit: January 31, 2014, 05:16:09 PM by BTCIRV

I'm getting the same here. Running Windows 7 64 Ult., I went from 1 to 2 to 3 cards, then a forth - no problem. Added #5 and all hell breaks lose. Down for a day and a half, the CGMiner sees the cards as something else, the standard settings that I've used for my R9s suddenly stopped working properly. I reinstalled Windows twice / three times since this is a dedicated mining machine - there's NOTHING else on it, but the drivers, CGminer and some bat files - and still it doesn't want to work - even back down to one card.

It's the AS Rock H81 BTC Pro mining board - 2 R9 290x's - red vacuum cleaners, and 3 tri-x R9 290x silent dream cards - all Saphire. 8GBs of ram, low end Pentium Dual core - perfect for the job. Flew like a dream for a week until I added that 5th card, now no matter of reinstall or anything else is bringing it back. Pentium barely gets to 2-4%. RAM is hardly used. I've swapped the ram already - no change.

Oh, same here also on the BSOD hitting Q with the R9 290x's - works fine on all other cards on other systems - i.e., my 7970s have no problems.

What the hell would make a bat file work one day and not the next? Why 4 cards work and not one, or 5 - on a board that's made just for this job?
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: