Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 12:31:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Electrical Concerns for Mining  (Read 874 times)
slinkyslick916 (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 09:00:23 AM

I may be getting to a point soon where I'm going to want to run a mining rig of my own which may put out approx 4000 watts in 1 room. I'm no expert, and I assume if I was to run that much power through the outlets in 1 room I'd create an inferno inside the walls.. leading to the burning of my home or at the very least frying all my equipment.

So my question comes in three parts:
1) Is it possible to run 4000w continuous in 1 room of the house?
2) If it is possible, how can it be done as SAFELY and efficiently as possible?
3) How much might an electrician charge me to make it all good to go?

I want to run 10x GPU's in this room running at about 300 watts each drawing around 10-12 amps each. Any advice on this would be EXTREMELY helpful and appreciated! Thank You!

jazarja

Activity: 21

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 09:48:39 AM

I think you should consider to use ASIC miner if you want to mine sha256 based cryptocurrency, its more power efficient.

I believe 4000watt should be okay, if you electrical infrastructure (cables, etc) has larger capacity.
Heutenamos

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

Act #Neutral,Think y'self as a citizen of Universe

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 09:55:23 AM

Depends on quality of wiring, I would start with half, 2000 W and see after few days if you smell anything. In hot summer it can be more problematic

yo
skuter

Activity: 9

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 10:02:14 AM

Well,

rom my point o view 4kWatt's is ok to run i 1 room, BUT u must make sure no one will use same electrical circuit to power ie. electrical heater, hairdryer or anything that can use more than 1kW, or else you will blow your circuit fuse Wink
superresistant
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1121

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 10:12:01 AM

I may be getting to a point soon where I'm going to want to run a mining rig of my own which may put out approx 4000 watts in 1 room. I'm no expert, and I assume if I was to run that much power through the outlets in 1 room I'd create an inferno inside the walls.. leading to the burning of my home or at the very least frying all my equipment.
So my question comes in three parts:
1) Is it possible to run 4000w continuous in 1 room of the house?
2) If it is possible, how can it be done as SAFELY and efficiently as possible?
3) How much might an electrician charge me to make it all good to go?
I want to run 10x GPU's in this room running at about 300 watts each drawing around 10-12 amps each. Any advice on this would be EXTREMELY helpful and appreciated! Thank You!

Check your electrical installation, there is of course a limit to the power usage. If you don't know how to do, contact an electrician.

The theoretical consumption is not the effective consumption. Check the reported/measured consumption from users here and here.

Consider undervolting all GPU and the CPU. Check undervolting guide on forum/internet.
I can be easily done with CGminer for GPU.

Also, some people report a lower watt consumption when GPU is watercooled.
Example : R9 290X drop from 325 to 271.
Kasandra

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 11:41:14 AM

4kw should be no problem if your house is not older than 60-70 years.

Lisk.io - Dapp & Sidechain Platform
nette

Activity: 14

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 12:48:30 PM

Try to call your electricity operator. You should ask them what is maximum power for your electrical installation.
Regards
DrG
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 01:18:49 PM

It sounds like you're mining in the US, so I assume 110V.  4K off one circuit = fiery death.

Read this for tips:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=355305.0
infinitybo

Activity: 28

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 02:54:09 PM

Certainly that is possible to run a mining rig continuously in your room, linkyslick916.
ScripterRon

Activity: 136
Merit: 120

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 09:27:06 PM
Last edit: December 20, 2013, 09:49:32 PM by ScripterRon

Power = (Voltage * Current) for a DC circuit.  This yields the peak power for an AC circuit.  The average power will depend on the power factor (the phase shift between voltage and current) and can be lower for the same voltage and amperage.  So you should not try to draw the maximum rated current for a long period of time.

4000W at 115V is 35A.  Most home circuits are not rated for that kind of current (ranges and dryers are usually 220V to reduce the current required).

Plus, that is 96 KWH per day or 2880 KWH per month.  You should check your electric bill to see what your rate is.  My utility (I'm in NY) charges around $0.08/KWH, so that works out to around $230/month for electricity.
vadoff

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 10:43:37 PM

You'll be charged out the ass. There's a baseline electricity usage for homes, if you go above that you'll get charged in tiers.
At that usage, you'll be charged at the highest tier, meaning probably 2.5-3x normal price.

I would expect at least $800+ per month (depending on where you live ofc)
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 11:15:45 PM

You'll be charged out the ass. There's a baseline electricity usage for homes, if you go above that you'll get charged in tiers.
At that usage, you'll be charged at the highest tier, meaning probably 2.5-3x normal price.

I would expect at least $800+ per month (depending on where you live ofc)
This is true for a lot of places in the US, and maybe elsewhere. It's a retarded system. You should check in with your electricity provider to see how they handle "excess consumption."

As mentioned before, 35A off one line is probably not doable (without expensive, likely invasive upgrades to house's wiring). 17.5A off two lines is more plausible, though it's still borderline dangerous if your lines are rated for 20A, which is quite likely for house wiring. You'll probably want to run it off three different lines. You should check your circuit breaker, first to see what they're rated at, and also to see which lines go where (you'll have to shut them off one-by-one and have someone checking which outlets shut off). After, you want to check the physical lines (it's usually printed all over them in big, black text) to make sure they're rated significantly above what you want to run on them, especially if it's an older house.

To be truly safe, you should probably thoroughly check the wiring and outlets to make sure they're in good condition. Finally, if you use a lot of electricity (electric dryer, multiple refrigeration units, electric heat or A/C, TVs and game consoles running, trash disposal, etc), you should try to guesstimate the maximum current consumption of your house in a "worst-case scenario" (having someone turn on a bunch of high-use appliances while you look at the power meter to make guesstimates would be reasonable), then add 35A to it to make sure you won't be tripping the main breaker, which your significant other would probably be quite annoyed by.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: