Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 12:46:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Internet billionaire donates $1.25 million to create libertarian islands  (Read 6418 times)
FirstAscent

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 03, 2011, 05:58:05 PM

Has anyone written a fictional story about what it would be like to live on a libertarian island that was intentionally built that way? I'm having a difficult time with understanding how it would work. After the headache Ayn Rand left me, I would hope that this idea has improved in the last several decades.

Oath of Fealty by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cryptobard

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 03, 2011, 06:00:36 PM

Also I think someone wrote a book about island countries. Not having any luck remembering the author or title name, though, so hopefully it all comes back to me.

"Lord of the Flies" - William Golding

The one I'm thinking of was a "how to" guide lol
The Script

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 05, 2011, 07:58:51 PM

Has anyone written a fictional story about what it would be like to live on a libertarian island that was intentionally built that way? I'm having a difficult time with understanding how it would work. After the headache Ayn Rand left me, I would hope that this idea has improved in the last several decades.

I sympathize with the Rand headache.  I only made it about half-way through Atlas Shrugged before the dramatic, long-winded prose, and idealistic two-dimensional characters defeated me.  Withur We might be what you are looking for.  I believe it's the author's first book and the writing seemed a little stilted to me at the beginning but I think it improves throughout the book.  Libertarianism and Austrian economics are littered throughout the book, but the story is interesting and I thought the anarchic society was handled even-handedly.  I don't want to say much more because I don't want to spoil the story.  It's a novel with a definite ideological bias but it's pretty good reading.
stevendobbs

Activity: 95
Merit: 1

View Profile
September 07, 2011, 08:46:59 AM

so the billionaire cares enough about this idea to donate less than 0.1% of his gains from society to it?
cryptobard

Activity: 42

View Profile
September 07, 2011, 10:19:09 AM

so the billionaire cares enough about this idea to donate less than 0.1% of his gains from society to it?

You speak as if society did not gain from his idea. Do you hold this sentiment or am I reading too much into your question?
stevendobbs

Activity: 95
Merit: 1

View Profile
September 07, 2011, 10:53:44 AM

You speak as if society did not gain from his idea. Do you hold this sentiment or am I reading too much into your question?

gained? what about net gain? a billionaire's effect on the economy skews production priorities a lot. So in production, market forces lead society as a whole to cease production of needed items and produce more luxuries. With less competition for goods afforded and needed by ordinary people cost of living goes up.

The net loss is shared by billions to cater for a billionaire. no thanks.
GimmeDemBitz

Activity: 14

View Profile
September 22, 2011, 03:13:41 PM

Does Bioshock count?
Minsc

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 22, 2011, 09:39:24 PM

Does Bioshock count?

Maybe Gulliver's Travels?

1DcXvfJdeJch9uptKopte5XQarTtj5ZjpL
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
September 22, 2011, 11:26:30 PM

Does Bioshock count?

Psychic mutants and Lilliputians are just as believable as a Libertarian society.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
GimmeDemBitz

Activity: 14

View Profile
September 23, 2011, 12:00:56 AM

Does Bioshock count?

Psychic mutants and Lilliputians are just as believable as a Libertarian society.

Really, the best custom-tailored make-believe world where libertarianism totally works is... Atlas Shrugged.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
September 23, 2011, 12:47:21 AM

Does Bioshock count?

Really, the best custom-tailored make-believe world where libertarianism totally works is... Atlas Shrugged.

Sadly, this is probably true.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Minsc

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 23, 2011, 01:45:40 AM

Does Bioshock count?

Oh wait, there's 4chan's /b/.  Well back when /b/ was good.

1DcXvfJdeJch9uptKopte5XQarTtj5ZjpL
zer0

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 23, 2011, 05:08:44 AM

at least the guy on sealand had weapons
what's to stop anybody from seizing millionaire ideologue refuge island? last time i checked history, independent countries with no defence or intl treaties end up getting fucked. i don't see why anything would change now. hey somali 'fisherman'.. go seize this place and plant a Puntland flag.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: