Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 10:48:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What about a host which doesn't discriminate against people?  (Read 3828 times)
davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2011, 05:52:39 PM

I thought the blockchain was downloaded from peers in the network and not from a central server...
It is, IRC is used to find the first ones to connect to.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 18, 2011, 05:56:19 PM

I thought the blockchain was downloaded from peers in the network and not from a central server...
One website provided a direct download to the current blockchain.  Not sure where it is though, but it was meant to be a high-speed way to get your blockchain up to speed for a new client download.  Sometimes the P2P download can take forever, especially if you only have 8 peers connected.
davout
Legendary

1davout

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2011, 06:03:05 PM

If somebody explains to me how to setup an offline downloadable block chain I'll happily host it at bitcoin-central.net

zellfaze

Activity: 141
Merit: 101

Security Enthusiast

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2011, 06:06:36 PM

It is, IRC is used to find the first ones to connect to.

I wouldn't exactly call that a centralized system...

If somebody explains to me how to setup an offline downloadable block chain I'll happily host it at bitcoin-central.net

blkxxxx.dat files and blkindex.dat just need to be copied out of your data directory and into their data directory.
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Data_directory

A+, CCENT, CCNA
Security Enthusiast
PHP Coder

Not that I expect anyone to, but should you like my post, please donate:
Donate: 1BRbfqii6Sm9tEUE8A16H7QeDmYFjyBZ7V
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
August 18, 2011, 06:22:05 PM

Probably a good idea to close the client before copying the files just in case a new block is being downloaded i guess

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
memvola

Activity: 938
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 18, 2011, 06:35:20 PM

Someday, bitcoin clients will simply bootstrap their chain using the bittorrent protocol
Well, what it currently does is essentially the same thing as the bittorrent protocol. It would be way better if they made the download more efficient. You can always download the blockchain externally using bittorrent, though you have to make sure they are signed by, preferably multiple, trusted developers.
davout
Legendary

1davout

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2011, 06:43:06 PM

Well, what it currently does is essentially the same thing as the bittorrent protocol.
Well, yeah, bitcoin is peer-to-peer...

You can always download the blockchain externally using bittorrent, though you have to make sure they are signed by, preferably multiple, trusted developers.
You don't even need to, you just need to check that once you start using it, you receive blocks built upon it, or ask a few peers for block hash at height X and check that it matches your chain.

But I guess the fact that it's PGP signed can't really hurt Smiley

Lolcust

Activity: 112
Merit: 11

Hillariously voracious

View Profile
August 18, 2011, 08:28:12 PM

I'd like to humbly point out that somewhat blindly trusting fellow peers when connecting (w/o TOR, or mayhaps even with it) from a place that has draconian and fairly intrusive government with competent people on payroll is not a particularly cheery idea.

Geist Geld, the experimental cryptocurrency, is ready for yet another SolidCoin collapse Wink

Feed the Lolcust!
NMC: N6YQFkH9Gn9CTm4mpGwuLB5zLzqWTWFw67
BTC: 15F8xbgRBA1XZ4hmtdFDUasroa2A5rYg8M
GEG: gK5Lx6ypWgr69Gw9yGzE6dsA7kcuCRZRK
memvola

Activity: 938
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 19, 2011, 01:09:09 AM

I'd like to humbly point out that somewhat blindly trusting fellow peers when connecting (w/o TOR, or mayhaps even with it) from a place that has draconian and fairly intrusive government with competent people on payroll is not a particularly cheery idea.
+1

I think it will be safe to use until the State decides that it's a threat. It can take a long time. Until then, I suppose we need to pay our pledged bounties and create new bounties for support for pseudonymous overlay networks.

You can always download the blockchain externally using bittorrent, though you have to make sure they are signed by, preferably multiple, trusted developers.
You don't even need to, you just need to check that once you start using it, you receive blocks built upon it, or ask a few peers for block hash at height X and check that it matches your chain.

Wow, this is really pratical. Does the current software do such checks? It has to I guess, and if so, downloading blockchain from an external source is much less dangerous then I first thought. You could even embed the executables' checksums in the block chain, hehe... No, no, bad idea...
zellfaze

Activity: 141
Merit: 101

Security Enthusiast

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2011, 01:44:08 AM

+1

I think it will be safe to use until the State decides that it's a threat. It can take a long time. Until then, I suppose we need to pay our pledged bounties and create new bounties for support for pseudonymous overlay networks.

Wow, this is really pratical. Does the current software do such checks? It has to I guess, and if so, downloading blockchain from an external source is much less dangerous then I first thought. You could even embed the executables' checksums in the block chain, hehe... No, no, bad idea...

Unless everyone starts to do it.

If a million people download the Bitcoin client today and with it the wrong block chain....

A+, CCENT, CCNA
Security Enthusiast
PHP Coder

Not that I expect anyone to, but should you like my post, please donate:
Donate: 1BRbfqii6Sm9tEUE8A16H7QeDmYFjyBZ7V
CyberPhunk

Activity: 124
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 19, 2011, 02:05:38 AM

Open directory on my seedbox with current clients:

Here

Let me know if there are any problems. Also, would be nice to include a link to the current checksums, but can't seem to find them.

List of client download mirrors / Older Catalyst drivers/SDK
13dRbbqBpfZEmZiXXdLM4NKNoJYsgHbuFJ  <- might as well, in case someone feels generous. Wink
Xenland
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1003

I'm not just any shaman, I'm a Sha256man

View Profile
August 19, 2011, 02:14:02 AM

Open directory on my seedbox with current clients:

Here

Let me know if there are any problems. Also, would be nice to include a link to the current checksums, but can't seem to find them.

if you've downloaded your clients from source forge you can checksum them your self
CyberPhunk

View Profile
August 19, 2011, 02:19:48 AM

if you've downloaded your clients from source forge you can checksum them your self

'k, will do, thanks.

Hmm, that begs the question, how to verify the checksum for those downloading them?

Say, I post a checksum for each client in a txt file. How do people downloading them know that it is valid?

Is there a way to point to an official/verified checksum that they can check against?

13dRbbqBpfZEmZiXXdLM4NKNoJYsgHbuFJ  <- might as well, in case someone feels generous. Wink
Xenland
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1003

I'm not just any shaman, I'm a Sha256man

View Profile
August 19, 2011, 02:24:13 AM

'k, will do, thanks.

Hmm, that begs the question, how to verify the checksum for those downloading them?

Say, I post a checksum for each client in a txt file. How do people downloading them know that it is valid?

Is there a way to point to an official/verified checksum that they can check against?

Thats a good question, If you can't find the original checksums, maybe there will be enough people to provide their checksums and you can get enough of the same confirmations to affirm that is the correct checksums.
CyberPhunk

View Profile
August 19, 2011, 02:31:10 AM
Last edit: August 19, 2011, 02:49:20 AM by CyberPhunk

Thats a good question, If you can't find the original checksums, maybe there will be enough people to provide their checksums and you can get enough of the same confirmations to affirm that is the correct checksums.

'k, I'll search for them, and create a topic with the current client file names and relevant checksums. Then I'll put a link to the thread.

Link

put a .txt file in the directory with the url of that thread.

ThiagoCMC
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

฿itcoin: Currency of Resistance!

View Profile
August 19, 2011, 03:31:14 AM

Bit Bit Bit! I love that word!!!   :-P

I know Torrent as created for huge files transmissions but, I see another potential for Torrent... BACKUP!

So, I'm already seeding the Bitcoin oficial clients with MD5 included.

Bitcoin Bittorrent
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=28689.0

I propose a mirrored Bitcoin repositories across the globe. Just like Debian, Ubuntu...

bitcoinbrasil.com.br/bitcoin
bitcoinchina.ch/bitcoin
intersango.com/bitcoin
etc.com/bitcoin

With rsync working automatically in the background...

Cheers!
Thiago
CyberPhunk

View Profile
August 19, 2011, 03:37:58 AM

So, I'm already seeding the Bitcoin oficial clients with MD5 included.

Cheers!
Thiago

Would it be okay to add the .torrent links to the mirror/checksum thread I created?

joepie91

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 19, 2011, 08:54:27 AM

Regarding the blockchain downloading... I'll be mirroring the blockchain periodically at http://cryto.net/mirrors/ - I believe that by just running the Bitcoin client for a while, it'll verify that the blockchain it has is legitimate, right?

Like my post(s)? 12TSXLa5Tu6ag4PNYCwKKSiZsaSCpAjzpu Smiley
Quote from: hawks5999
I just can't wait for fall/winter. My furnace never generated money for me before. I'll keep mining until my furnace is more profitable.
film2240
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2011, 08:21:08 PM

speaking of hosting places.Try hosting in Iceland as the laws are more favourable on privacy as well as not embargoing countries the US has issues with (I think.I got that impression from the pro freedom press law for the net in Iceland which prevents foreign countries trying to silence critical materials hosted on Icelandic placed servers)

It may help? (or it may not as I don't know fully about these kinds of things)

[This signature is available for rent.BTC/ETH/LTC or £50 equivalent a month]
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: