Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 10:05:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Server Power Supply Interface Board - for standalone miners and GPU rigs  (Read 120476 times)
freddyfarnsworth

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 03:05:36 AM

Not trying to control the current flow, just making sure the bottom can feed as much as the top, all current will source the path of least resistance, seems you are quite aware Smiley

BTC: 1F1X9dN2PRortYaDkq89YJDbQ72i3F5N3h MEOW: KAbvy9jrrajvN5WLo7RWBsYqYfJKyN9WLf DOGE: DAyKSrTiVeRZaReTu1Cyf5Je6qPdKTuKKE
RickJamesBTC

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 03:19:27 AM

Not trying to control the current flow, just making sure the bottom can feed as much as the top, all current will source the path of least resistance, seems you are quite aware Smiley

The pci card itself will draw from 20-75 watts through the pcie board connection, depending on card. The pci-e power plugs get the majority of the business. I'm fairly certain they power separate circuits.
repairguy

Activity: 252

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 05:23:33 AM

I really would like to advise you, but I have no idea what you are trying to say.  If you want the bottom to have the capability to feed as much as the top(idk why because each 12v circuit in the card is isolated so the card isnt going to balance from feeds) then you would simply use the same size wire.
repairguy

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 05:26:31 AM

I'm fairly certain they power separate circuits.

Yep and they are all electrically isolated from each other.
freddyfarnsworth

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 05:30:10 AM

I really would like to advise you, but I have no idea what you are trying to say.  If you want the bottom to have the capability to feed as much as the top(idk why because each 12v circuit in the card is isolated so the card isnt going to balance from feeds) then you would simply use the same size wire.

Only variable is the PCIE card... In a MB the PCIE wires feeding those cards do not get hot. No matter the load.
So I believe the reason the Heavy custom wires are hot, is the only difference I see and that is a custom PCIE Slot setup.

Makes no sense the 12-10 ga wire would even be warm at all. Something is off, trying to help.

BTC: 1F1X9dN2PRortYaDkq89YJDbQ72i3F5N3h MEOW: KAbvy9jrrajvN5WLo7RWBsYqYfJKyN9WLf DOGE: DAyKSrTiVeRZaReTu1Cyf5Je6qPdKTuKKE
repairguy

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 05:31:15 AM

Using my risers, I have the pci-e plugs AND the +12v line from the riser card powered by the server PSU. I pair the grounds up to keep them in sync, and connect the +5V line from the risers to a molex connector on the controlling computer.

Nice, Do you have any idea how many amps @5v each card uses?

Also just to state I power everything on the mobo/powered risers(when I use them) from the atx supply and just use the server supply for the 6pins
repairguy

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 05:34:11 AM

Just a thought. if regular MB supplies xx amps to the GPU (usually max design is 3 very rare 4 GPU slots), were not the PCIE aux 6-8 pin headers added as a afterthought when big cards started coming out.

So can you bump the bottom supply current so the pcie headers do not have to work so hard ?

Got ya.  Just saw this one sorry.  The answer is no.
RickJamesBTC

Activity: 378

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 05:51:51 AM

I really would like to advise you, but I have no idea what you are trying to say.  If you want the bottom to have the capability to feed as much as the top(idk why because each 12v circuit in the card is isolated so the card isnt going to balance from feeds) then you would simply use the same size wire.

Only variable is the PCIE card... In a MB the PCIE wires feeding those cards do not get hot. No matter the load.
So I believe the reason the Heavy custom wires are hot, is the only difference I see and that is a custom PCIE Slot setup.

Makes no sense the 12-10 ga wire would even be warm at all. Something is off, trying to help.

6x 18 ga = more wire than 1 x 12 ga. Quite a bit more actually. In the case, or running from a power supply, you have many smaller wires, with more total cross section. I was cheating a little at 12 ga, and it is working fine, just warm Tongue  
Repair guy, I measured everything. The 5v lines see very little action, I've measured .5-.7 A per card, at full hash speed.  The 12v line on the riser card uses 2.7 A, at full power, on a 280x. I power those from the server psu because I use very small cheap psus in each case, just to run the mobo. I don't have the capacity for 5 x 35-40 watts extra on each board.
repairguy

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 06:04:16 AM

6x 18 ga = more wire than 1 x 12 ga. Quite a bit more actually. In the case, or running from a power supply, you have many smaller wires, with more total cross section. I was cheating a little at 12 ga, and it is working fine, just warm Tongue  
Repair guy, I measured everything. The 5v lines see very little action, I've measured .5-.7 A per card, at full hash speed.  The 12v line on the riser card uses 2.7 A, at full power, on a 280x. I power those from the server psu because I use very small cheap psus in each case, just to run the mobo. I don't have the capacity for 5 x 35-40 watts extra on each board.

Thanks for the info.

I got ya.  Yeah a 600watt will run 6 cards and a mobo for about 3 minutes before it takes a dump.
thm001

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 06:43:53 AM

Interested for sure!! looking forward to picking some of these up
kaimee

Activity: 14

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 11:41:34 PM

Looking forward to the release of these!

Would you consider offering a discounted DIY-Kit option with the board and components included?

Also, what do you imagine shipping to the UK to be?

Smiley
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3346
Merit: 1858

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 12:56:05 AM

I considered a DIY kit, but there is a fair bit going on (thru-hole parts, and surface mount on both sides), it'd only save about five bucks, and I like being able to test stuff before sending it out, so if we do it won't be until we get some kinks worked out with manufacture and streamlining.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
grandfatman

Activity: 2

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 12:18:05 AM

Total noob here. I got here by extensively "googling" this exact problem.

I was advised to buy this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200987480857?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

For some miners that need 2 PCI E 6 pin connectors. So, it's on its way, here is me thinking "oh its a PC power supply im sure i can buy an adapter" such as a molex to PCIe right? WRONG!

I want to do exactly this with the PSU i linked above, As the pinouts on all these seem slightly different? I'm a dab hand at soldering so that isn't an issue (actually building something) But something ready to buy would make a LOT more sense for me due to time restrictions with work etc.

Also, can i hook up MULTIPLE PCIe 12v pins to a single 12v pin on the PSU?

I THINK im headed in the right direction.
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 12:49:06 AM

If I eyeball that feller right, it looks to be almost but not quite a compatible connector. The blade spacing is 0.25", instead of the 0.2" on the Dell Z750P this board is designed to work with. It is possible to jerryrig that supply without an external board, and there's pinout information linked to in this thread that would be a start.

Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
grandfatman

Activity: 2

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 01:00:15 AM
Last edit: January 27, 2014, 01:27:09 AM by grandfatman

Yeah we are considering directly soldering the PCIe directly to the 12v pins (and ground obviously)

"EDIT"

I've been looking around for the pinout on the Z750P to get one switched on for testing, but I'm having trouble tracking this down. Does anybody know if the pinout is the same as on the NPS-700AB (see pic below)? The connector looks the same, but I'm guessing that the pinout could be different. Any help gratefully received Smiley.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/romr2009/2011-04-16_231015_tjintech-howto-dell57a-04.jpg

I noticed you too were looking at the NPS-700ab. And for anyone else, i just found this!

http://www.raptortechnique.com/12vpower.htm
kaimee

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 07:42:10 PM

I considered a DIY kit, but there is a fair bit going on (thru-hole parts, and surface mount on both sides), it'd only save about five bucks, and I like being able to test stuff before sending it out, so if we do it won't be until we get some kinks worked out with manufacture and streamlining.

Fair enough. Wink
Any idea how I could mcguyver the Z750P to power my ant without completely ruining the connector for future integration with your plug? I've got one sitting here but don't want to butcher the connector as I plan on using your solution when it becomes available. Smiley
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 08:34:21 PM

Quarter-inch quick-connects will fit on the blades, but be careful and make sure they stay in place. Might even wad some hot glue on them. The things to watch for are the centermost blades shorting against each other, and one lead popping off and putting an extra current strain on the remaining wires. Also make darn sure you wire things up with the right polarity.

kaimee

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 09:05:31 PM

Quarter-inch quick-connects will fit on the blades, but be careful and make sure they stay in place. Might even wad some hot glue on them. The things to watch for are the centermost blades shorting against each other, and one lead popping off and putting an extra current strain on the remaining wires. Also make darn sure you wire things up with the right polarity.

Thanks I'll give it a go! I'll probably cake in hot glue or poss silicone to keep them secure, I think silicone might be easier to remove when it comes to removing the spades, although I believe silicone creates acetic acid when curing which could attack the copper in the connections. :/

Maybe, heatshrink tubing would be better, or a combination....

klondike_bar
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 10:18:57 PM

Thanks I'll give it a go! I'll probably cake in hot glue or poss silicone to keep them secure, I think silicone might be easier to remove when it comes to removing the spades, although I believe silicone creates acetic acid when curing which could attack the copper in the connections. :/

Maybe, heatshrink tubing would be better, or a combination....

do it right and solder the connections. nothing worse than the connecting coming loose and either turning off the miner unexpectedly or shorting across to another pin and damaging equipment.

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
No longer a wannabe - now an ASIC owner!
pontiacg5

Activity: 364

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 10:48:31 PM

If you solder to the outside of the terminal and use wick to get the remnant off I don't see how you could have a fitment issue. The contact points are the outside of the "fingers," the space between them is room for them to spring together to enter the slot. So long as you don't solder the two fingers together you should be fine.

Arcing is a strong possibility at these currents, I wouldn't want any loose connections.

Please DO NOT send me private messages asking for help setting up GPU miners. I will not respond!!!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 »
  Print  

Jump to: