Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 10:56:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Server Power Supply Interface Board - for standalone miners and GPU rigs  (Read 120479 times)
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3346
Merit: 1858

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 11:42:43 PM

Once we get some standing stock and a webstore put together, we'll be selling direct. Should be next week. It's taken longer than I'd have liked, to the tune of about two weeks, but my goal is to open general sales by next Wednesday.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
Cheshyr

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 12:13:13 AM

Once we get some standing stock and a webstore put together, we'll be selling direct. Should be next week. It's taken longer than I'd have liked, to the tune of about two weeks, but my goal is to open general sales by next Wednesday.
Nice work dude! Glad to see this coming together.

I've still got that open quote with FCI if you need it.
freddyfarnsworth

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 02:29:27 AM

power draw, energy crisis? i heard these are up to 95% efficient

They are, however servers now days use 1/4 the load, everything is low power blades.
The machines these were originally powering, were full of gold, built of stainless steel and massive, 100+ lbs each.
One ALR server with 6 PPRO cpus was $226,000 retail.
Some brands used three of the 2000watt jobbers.
It all comes from a time long ago, lost to us.

BTC: 1F1X9dN2PRortYaDkq89YJDbQ72i3F5N3h MEOW: KAbvy9jrrajvN5WLo7RWBsYqYfJKyN9WLf DOGE: DAyKSrTiVeRZaReTu1Cyf5Je6qPdKTuKKE
klondike_bar
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 08:54:38 PM

I have a problem - a second DPS-800GB A that was powering a single antminer just died. wont start up - just clicks and seems to spin the fan but no DC power output. In comparison i have an identical HP supply ( ATSN-7001044-Y000) running 2 antminers without any trouble. Is this an issue with the older supply?

I swapped in a DPS-670CB A and after a few hours that failed and seems like it intermittently switched on and off for about 10minutes at a time until I found it with the warning LED lit and not providing power. Unplugging and replugging has the miner running again.  At 375MHz I dont beleive that the miner can be using anything over 500W (<75% of the rated power). Is this something to be concerned about in terms of either the particular antminer or the 670W server PSU?

edit: the psu is pushing only 11.82V - probably that is the issue, considering I have a second identical suply that only provides 11.24V and makes a strange 'clickering' noise (as in a randomized clicking similar to a bulb that is flickering) somewhere near the 120V side of the board

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
No longer a wannabe - now an ASIC owner!
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 09:01:40 PM

I haven't lit up any loads on a DPS-800 yet, but I have a Z750P powering a Cube on full clock and a AntMiner running 400MHz with zero problems for a month now. I did some load testing and the Ant pulled about 30A, but the cables I tested with were kinda crappy so the terminal voltage at the Ant was only about 11.5V

Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
joeventura

Activity: 854
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 09:42:23 PM

I was going to buy a bunch of these, but at $42.50 each, even with power supply for $12 that's more than $52 then I have to buy cables and such and put it all together.

I can get a power supply with cables ready to go for $50

http://www.outletpc.com/zk2737-sdgr-750e-solid-gear-750w-power-supply.html

So it does not make any sense unless you have these PSUs laying around and you want to make good use of them.

At $25 each I'd take a bunch, at $42.50 I'd buy one.

BotwinBG

Activity: 588
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 10:02:53 PM

sidehack - do these prices reflect only the Z750P connectors?

Also, I got a bunch of DPS-1520AB A PSUs, do you plan on making connectors for them as well?

AMEPAY
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄█████████▀▀▄▀▀█████████▄

▄██████▄▄█▀ ▀█▄▄██████▄
███████  ▀▀█▄██▀▀▄███████
███████ █ ▄ █ ▄▀▀▄███████
████████ █ █ █ ▄▀▀▄████████
▀█████████▄█ █ ▄██████████▀
▀████████  ▀▀▀  ████████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
│▌
AMEPAY IEO
▄██████▄ ▀██████▄
█████████  ▀█████
███████▀     ▀███
██████▀  ▄█▄  ▀██
██████▄  ▀█▀  ▄██
███████▄     ▄███
█████████  ▄█████
▀██████▀ ▄██████▀
AMEPAY LISTING
   ▐███▄
   ████▌
▐██████████▄
████████████
 ████▌  █████
▐████  ▄████
██████████▀
 ▀█████▀▀
▐│
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄

▄██████▄▄█▀ ▀█▄▄██████▄
▀█████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
klondike_bar
Legendary

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 10:10:13 PM

I was going to buy a bunch of these, but at $42.50 each, even with power supply for $12 that's more than $52 then I have to buy cables and such and put it all together.

I can get a power supply with cables ready to go for $50

http://www.outletpc.com/zk2737-sdgr-750e-solid-gear-750w-power-supply.html

So it does not make any sense unless you have these PSUs laying around and you want to make good use of them.

At $25 each I'd take a bunch, at $42.50 I'd buy one.

Not a bad PSU if its a single 12V rail - but server PSUs can be very cheap to modify yourself - Ive been able to get 800-1000W ones for $5 each, plus maybe $5 of 14AWG wire and an 30-45 min to wire it up depending how tricky it is to achieve the PS-ON function. (add in a one-time cost for solder and a 100W soldering gun)

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 10:25:03 PM

One of the benefits here is, if the supply fails you're only out the $12 for a new supply, don't need to do anything with the wires either or rebuild another supply. Also if you want more than 750W without worrying about overload, these load-balance and tie together for redundancy.
That $50 supply, will that run all 750W on the 12V or how is it split up? How long will it run on heavy load? Does it run 90% efficient? Also would you have to paperclip-trick it, or does it have a real switch? Or the ability to auto-on from an external signal? Also does it have all the cables you'd need, or will you have to splice? And what about all the cables it has that you don't need?

At $25 each, we'd be taking a loss on parts and labor. That's the cost of quality components and domestic manufacture - if we used garbage parts and outsourced to China it could be cheaper, but I would have no part in it. They're as cheap as they're gonna get unless somehow we get free parts or decide to stop paying employees.

Right now only the Z750P boards exist. I'll have some DPS-2000 boards in the next few weeks hopefully, which will be more expensive - integrated fan controller, and all the copper and terminals required to distribute 160A. I'll have DPS-800 boards soon also, which will probably be cheaper than the Z750 boards since those supplies handle fan and low-volt internally. As far as I can tell though, the Z750P is still the cheapest supply to acquire (can be found in large quantities for below $10 per) which should help offset the total cost.

RickJamesBTC

Activity: 378

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 10:51:39 PM

You really need to have some sort of extension pci-e power cables made up. I'd be all over them, instead of making them myself Tongue  36" 10 GA blk/ylw to four pci-e power connectors on maybe 10" leads
Perfect !
BotwinBG

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 11:00:03 PM

Speaking of DPS-1520AB A, does anyone have a pinout for that?

AMEPAY
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄

▄██████▄▄█▀ ▀█▄▄██████▄
▀█████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
│▌
AMEPAY IEO
▄██████▄ ▀██████▄
█████████  ▀█████
███████▀     ▀███
██████▀  ▄█▄  ▀██
██████▄  ▀█▀  ▄██
███████▄     ▄███
█████████  ▄█████
▀██████▀ ▄██████▀
AMEPAY LISTING
   ▐███▄
   ████▌
▐██████████▄
████████████
 ████▌  █████
▐████  ▄████
██████████▀
 ▀█████▀▀
▐│
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄

▄██████▄▄█▀ ▀█▄▄██████▄
▀█████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 11:48:42 PM

We're going to stock 18" 16AWG 6-pin and 8-pin. I can see what it'll take to make that thing you said. How well does 10AWG handle that current? Depending on what you run, those four PCIe could be drawing 60A through the home run. Also the screw terminals on these boards are rated for 20A, so it'd have to splice out to multiple spade contacts anyway... I'd probably run several smaller wires bundled together instead if I were producing.

joeventura

Activity: 854
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 12:16:21 AM

One of the benefits here is, if the supply fails you're only out the $12 for a new supply, don't need to do anything with the wires either or rebuild another supply. Also if you want more than 750W without worrying about overload, these load-balance and tie together for redundancy.
That $50 supply, will that run all 750W on the 12V or how is it split up? How long will it run on heavy load? Does it run 90% efficient? Also would you have to paperclip-trick it, or does it have a real switch? Or the ability to auto-on from an external signal? Also does it have all the cables you'd need, or will you have to splice? And what about all the cables it has that you don't need?

At $25 each, we'd be taking a loss on parts and labor. That's the cost of quality components and domestic manufacture - if we used garbage parts and outsourced to China it could be cheaper, but I would have no part in it. They're as cheap as they're gonna get unless somehow we get free parts or decide to stop paying employees.

Right now only the Z750P boards exist. I'll have some DPS-2000 boards in the next few weeks hopefully, which will be more expensive - integrated fan controller, and all the copper and terminals required to distribute 160A. I'll have DPS-800 boards soon also, which will probably be cheaper than the Z750 boards since those supplies handle fan and low-volt internally. As far as I can tell though, the Z750P is still the cheapest supply to acquire (can be found in large quantities for below $10 per) which should help offset the total cost.

You make very valid points sir!
klondike_bar
Legendary

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 02:46:51 AM

how do you load-balance server PSUs, specifically ones like the DPS-800GB? Can I simply tie all the positive leads to one terminal block and all the negatives to another and get n*800W (n being the number of parallel supplies) of available power, or is there another step? Also, I imagine you couldn't balance a 600W and an 800W together because the 600w will fry, or will it work for ~1400W output?

sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 02:57:55 AM

I haven't poked around on the DPS-800 yet (been busy scaling up manufacture on the Z750P boards) but I believe they should be able to load-balance. Just a matter of finding the current-share pin. The Z750P boards break it out so tying the SHR pins together on several boards, and tying the rails together, will load-balance. The DPS-800 board should operate the same way, just gotta find out how.

klondike_bar
Legendary

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 03:06:06 AM

I haven't poked around on the DPS-800 yet (been busy scaling up manufacture on the Z750P boards) but I believe they should be able to load-balance. Just a matter of finding the current-share pin. The Z750P boards break it out so tying the SHR pins together on several boards, and tying the rails together, will load-balance. The DPS-800 board should operate the same way, just gotta find out how.

okay - I have access to a box of ~20 of them at $5 each but seeing as how 2 failed on me (one mightve been bad from the start and i didnt test right before modding, the other after ~24 hours of operation) I am slightly skeptical. I have a few more to wire up and try with but they seem like great candidates for solid power, with enough for 2 antminers at 375MHz it seems

sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 03:24:42 AM

Should be enough for at least that, yeah. That's the supply of choice to drive a backplane of Blades, which would pull at least 700-800W steady.

mxz280

Activity: 100
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 01:04:12 AM

Speaking of DPS-1520AB A, does anyone have a pinout for that?
Pin A1 to B1 to power up
BotwinBG

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 01:58:14 AM

where do you start to count the pins though? and where are the 12v ground - left or right?

AMEPAY
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄

▄██████▄▄█▀ ▀█▄▄██████▄
▀█████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
│▌
AMEPAY IEO
▄██████▄ ▀██████▄
█████████  ▀█████
███████▀     ▀███
██████▀  ▄█▄  ▀██
██████▄  ▀█▀  ▄██
███████▄     ▄███
█████████  ▄█████
▀██████▀ ▄██████▀
AMEPAY LISTING
   ▐███▄
   ████▌
▐██████████▄
████████████
 ████▌  █████
▐████  ▄████
██████████▀
 ▀█████▀▀
▐│
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄

▄██████▄▄█▀ ▀█▄▄██████▄
▀█████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
BotwinBG

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 02:22:32 AM

sidehack - how much are the pcie connectors ? I have 7 Z750P units here and about 5 of DPS-800/2500/1520 - can I have the rebate on the them all, ie. 40 USD,  or do I need to count each separate PSU as a separate order?

AMEPAY
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄

▄██████▄▄█▀ ▀█▄▄██████▄
▀█████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
│▌
AMEPAY IEO
▄██████▄ ▀██████▄
█████████  ▀█████
███████▀     ▀███
██████▀  ▄█▄  ▀██
██████▄  ▀█▀  ▄██
███████▄     ▄███
█████████  ▄█████
▀██████▀ ▄██████▀
AMEPAY LISTING
   ▐███▄
   ████▌
▐██████████▄
████████████
 ████▌  █████
▐████  ▄████
██████████▀
 ▀█████▀▀
▐│
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄

▄██████▄▄█▀ ▀█▄▄██████▄
▀█████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 »
  Print  

Jump to: