Bitcoin Forum
September 02, 2024, 05:22:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 1993-xx-xx The Internet in 1993: If you're using Bitcoin, you are here  (Read 2226 times)
pabloangello (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 04:21:18 PM

The Computer Chronicles - The Internet (1993)

Here --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_o8gerare0

"What makes INTERNET so special, as opposed to Compuserve, or AOL?"
"Decentralization. It's not owned or controlled by a single company..."

pabloangello (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 04:53:45 PM

No mention of bitcoin. Not even remotely related to bitcoin.

The situation of decentralized internet beeing and its consequences are very related. We are talking about currency right now, previously it was the way to achieve such a tool. Today we are about to use such a tool in sense of currency without governments.

ps. I wasn't so sure if it realy fits this subforum, I posted this thread with little bit of uncertainty. If moderator decides it's unrelevant, please move then.

ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 05:09:26 PM

It is very relevant to Bitcoin because Bitcoin it at the same stage in development today as the Internet was in 1993.

PS: 5.25in floppy disks can be a great way to back up your wallet.dat

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
beckspace

Activity: 931
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 06:47:05 PM

No mention of bitcoin. Not even remotely related to bitcoin.

Remotely related:

http://youtu.be/U_o8gerare0?t=9m13s
- What’s the big deal about Internet? Why is everybody making such a fuss about it? Why is it better than Compuserve or Prodigy etc?
- The chief benefit is that it’s not owned by one company, or even a conglomerate of companies

http://youtu.be/U_o8gerare0?t=10m58s
- So you actually can buy stuff on the Internet?
- It’s a very sticky situation because one of the biggest problem, the security and transfer of money, that kind of thing
- Yeah…
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4144
Merit: 1307

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 06:52:56 PM

If we are looking at it from a UI perspective, we're definitely 1993 or before.  Pre-Netscape, using gopher, ftp etc etc.  While obtaining and using bitcoin is easier than before, it is not yet easy enough for everyone.

From a search engine perspective, we are  pre-Google, around an aliweb, web crawler, lycos.com search, so maybe 1994-1995.

If we are looking at it from a domain name perspective, I'd say we are 1995ish.  A lot of the really valuable domain names have been registered, there are some still out there, but a lot of are gone - a lot of coins have been mined, you can still mine them with ASIC etc, but not like even a year ago.

Whatever the case, although the link doesn't really involve bitcoin, it hopefully is a good indication of where we are on the adoption curve.

beckspace

Activity: 931

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 07:10:53 PM

A thread about how the growth of bitcoin is similar to the growth of the internet (there are already a dozen of these threads, btw) belongs in the Bitcoin Discussion forum, not in the Press forum.

I see your point and agree.
protokol
Legendary

Activity: 1188
Merit: 1016

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 12:11:04 AM

NICE!
seriouscoin

Activity: 658

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 03:25:24 AM

So are you going to also post documentaries on the histories of cars, airplanes, telephones, VCRs, DVDs, music, antibiotics, electronics, cellphones, thermostats, GPS, televisions, radios, spacecraft, astronomy, satellites, air conditioning, weight-loss drugs, dairy production, remote controls, computers, electronics, etc. etc, etc.?

They are all related to bitcoin in the same way.

Anyway, this forum is for articles about bitcoin. The purpose is to let people know what other people are saying about bitcoin. If it doesn't even mention bitcoin, it obviously doesn't belong here. A thread about how the growth of bitcoin is similar to the growth of the internet (there are already a dozen of these threads, btw) belongs in the Bitcoin Discussion forum, not in the Press forum.

Wow someone can make such analogy should be shot.... sorry.,....

bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 1217

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 02:57:08 PM

Floppy drives are difficult to get these days and not many systems are compatible with it. I'd rather prefer a 2 GB USB drive. As secure as any other media.
pabloangello (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 06:28:25 PM

So are you going to also post documentaries on the histories of cars, airplanes, telephones, VCRs, DVDs, music, antibiotics, electronics, cellphones, thermostats, GPS, televisions, radios, spacecraft, astronomy, satellites, air conditioning, weight-loss drugs, dairy production, remote controls, computers, electronics, etc. etc, etc.?

They are all related to bitcoin in the same way.

Anyway, this forum is for articles about bitcoin. The purpose is to let people know what other people are saying about bitcoin. If it doesn't even mention bitcoin, it obviously doesn't belong here. A thread about how the growth of bitcoin is similar to the growth of the internet (there are already a dozen of these threads, btw) belongs in the Bitcoin Discussion forum, not in the Press forum.

Wow someone can make such analogy should be shot.... sorry.,....

Basicly this is it! We are at the begining of mega boom if Bitcoin will become more user friendly. Yes like cellphones, cars etc.

ButchHashidy

Activity: 76
Merit: 10

...and the BitcoinKid

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 10:39:36 PM

This really is a great insight.  A window into p2p decentralized systems' future.  No one could've guessed in their wildest dreams what the internet would be giving us today (including the trolls).  Bitcoin presents an amazing system of credibility that takes human corruption out of the picture.  What it will be used for is yet to be known.  So again we're in a new era where the nerds educate the luddites on a potentially monumental advancement.

Jumpin' Jack Hash is a gas gas gaas
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 07:32:43 PM

This really is a great insight.  A window into p2p decentralized systems' future.  No one could've guessed in their wildest dreams what the internet would be giving us today (including the trolls).  Bitcoin presents an amazing system of credibility that takes human corruption out of the picture.  What it will be used for is yet to be known.  So again we're in a new era where the nerds educate the luddites on a potentially monumental advancement.

I think this is why we get so much resistance.

Down deep, people don't like creative types. Geeks are creative, their canvas is a processor, their paints are the higher-level languages that tell it what to do. Geeks understand the abstract. You have to, just to visualize how functions work and how to make programs flow the way you want them to.

Regular people don't like creative people, because it takes insight, some smarts, and just general ability. Even if you don't brag about it, just the fact that you can DO the things you can makes regular people uncomfortable. It usually manifests in the stumbling awkward admission of "...well, I wish I could do what you do..."

The "norms" believe that learning abstract concepts is out of their reach, so they resent someone who grasps it easily.

No wonder the first thing that leaps from their lips is "funny internet money" and "tulips" and "I'll make BOBCOIN, LOLOLOL HERE'S 100 BOBCOINS FOR YOU". It's the easy-and-obvious way to strike back at someone that has this idea that they can't immediately grasp. They don't even try to.

And frankly, after trying for a good amount of time, rebutting every FUD piece, writing scathing replies to those that openly attack Bitcoin, I had to scale back. That was just my personal decision, but its also a very geek-oriented one, isolating the problem and routing around it.

And that's where we are - in the middle of routing around all of these people who think Bitcoin is inconsequential and useless. Imagine their surprise, when they are smacked with it front-and-center, intruding into their lives. Perhaps it will be the full "wrap" advertisement on a Bus, or the fact there's that funny "B" symbol on their dinner menu. Even better, if during a job interview, they're asked a random Bitcoin question, just to see if they're keeping up with current technologies.

That's when it will be driven home, that sinking despair that perhaps the geeks weren't wrong, every mocking word now a chained weight around their neck, submerged in the dark waters of regret.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
Wekkel
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531

yes

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 08:14:25 PM

Down deep, people don't like creative types. [...]

No. The one thing that most people absolutely fear is .... CHANGE.

They would rather complain but stick to their current miserable but known situation than to accept ... change.

Change is fear
Change is uncertain
Change is doubt

This will cause the slow advancement of crypto currency instead of a 2 year walk in the park. That's why I am so grateful for Dogecoin. It takes away the fear while showing the potential.

cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4144
Merit: 1307

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 09:17:31 PM

Bitcoin is doing well even given how early we are in the process, but ease of use is sorely lacking.  The technical minded can do it, but it needs a Netscape-type increase in ease of use, or an iPhone-type innovation in terms of smartphone ease of use.  Bitcoin will do well without that, but the market will expand tremendously if it is as easy as using a credit card.

That my 0.02 BTC
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: