Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 02:20:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Suggestions to significantly increase bitcoin's users  (Read 17471 times)
Suggester (OP)

Activity: 97
Merit: 11

View Profile
February 03, 2010, 06:40:19 PM
Last edit: March 06, 2010, 07:32:13 PM by Suggester

[Edit: Most of these suggestions should've been directed to NewLibertyStandard not Satoshi. At the time I made the post, I didn't realize that they were actually two separate people:)]

Hi Satoshi. I like the bitcoin concept a lot, and I think implementing one or more of these ideas will significantly increase your fan base!

1. Bitcoin cannot survive with only one exchanger. You need to raise your buy/sell margin to at least 1%-2% to give others an incentive to "compete" with you. With more exchangers offering their services (perhaps through a reputation system posted on the site?), more people will be attracted to the "global" project as it's not solely based on you anymore.

2. Automate the exchange operation. Professionals don't trade with emails on a one-to-one basis! You can make it personal for huge operations only (eg. >$100)

3. keeping with the anonymous theme, ditch paypal. Or at least, use other anonymous services in addition. I suggest eCache (tor-based virtual currency), Unlinq.com (provides virtual debit cards), Pecunix, C-gold, and Liberty Reserve. This might even be safer for you to avoid legal problems which will inevitably arise sooner or later if you use paypal or other non-private services.

4. Force-https your site, and redirect from bitcoin.com Smiley

I wish I'd see bitcoin grow in the near future. Thanks and good luck!
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SmokeTooMuch
Legendary

Activity: 860
Merit: 1021

View Profile
February 03, 2010, 11:12:33 PM

Can you give me working link of an eCache interface or something like a homepage ?
Can't find a working link of eCache in the .onion network

Date Registered: 2009-12-10 | I'm using GPG, pm me for my public key. | Bitcoin on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/btc
BitcoinFX
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1720

https://youtu.be/DsAVx0u9Cw4 ... Dr. WHO < KLF

View Profile WWW
February 03, 2010, 11:25:45 PM

Sure.

http://ffij33ewbnoeqnup.onion/

or

https://ffij33ewbnoeqnup.onion.meshmx.com/

eCache is an anonymous bank operating through interfaces in the Tor network. The bank issues cryptographic certificates, Digital Bearer Certificates, that can be exchanged among the bank's users. The certificates can be bought and sold for real money through the bank. The owners and operators of the bank are unknown, and the bank is said to operate outside the laws of any country.

Cool

Oh, looks like it might be 'down' atm, good job this can't happen to Bitcoin  Wink

"Bitcoin OG" 1JXFXUBGs2ZtEDAQMdZ3tkCKo38nT2XSEp | Bitcoin logo™ Enforcer? | Bitcoin is BTC | CSW is NOT Satoshi Nakamoto | I Mine BTC, LTC, ZEC, XMR and GAP | BTC on Tor addnodes Project | Media enquiries : Wu Ming | Enjoy The Money Machine | "You cannot compete with Open Source" and "Cryptography != Banana" | BSV and BCH are COUNTERFEIT.
giik

Activity: 24
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 04, 2010, 12:11:52 PM

For several months, I've tried to reach the eCache website. Only once did it work! (and only through meshmx.com, the .onion did not succeed). eChache is a beautiful currency, but an unreliable website, makes it hard to trust/use.

I've seen a TorBank on the onion-layer of the Internet, but I don't know what currency it uses. Their site stated that TorBank should become the number one paymentservice in onionland. But it is in beta/alpha/whatever-status.
SmokeTooMuch
Legendary

View Profile
February 04, 2010, 03:46:56 PM

everytime i try to access the eCahce site it is down ... hmm.

Date Registered: 2009-12-10 | I'm using GPG, pm me for my public key. | Bitcoin on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/btc
Suggester (OP)

Activity: 97
Merit: 11

View Profile
February 06, 2010, 06:26:42 PM

Maybe they turned out to be crooks lol. I never understood how can their currency be backed up by insurance companies when they never specified which companies! How can this even happen when the bank's operators are unknown?
The Madhatter

Activity: 490
Merit: 509

My avatar pic says it all

View Profile
February 09, 2010, 03:14:39 PM

I "know of" the man who runs ecache. I suspect he abandoned it due to lack of interest.

Maybe they turned out to be crooks lol. I never understood how can their currency be backed up by insurance companies when they never specified which companies! How can this even happen when the bank's operators are unknown?
I-am-not-anonymous

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 17, 2010, 03:36:30 AM

Somebody needs to sell something very desirable and only accept bitcoins as payment.  Maybe one of the Canadian MOM companies can be persuaded to accept bitcoin.

But more importantly than this is: Safety Safety Safety, people need to be assured that bitcoin is foolproof against attacks from powerful adversaries (this will obviously come much later).  A method of rating merchants who use bitcoin (i.e. reputations) might also increase the sense of security.

They also need some way of knowing how their exchange of bitcoins into other currencies will be protected from snoopers.

I could be wrong, but I also think that the easier it is to use bitcoin in conjunction with .onion e-comemrce sites, the more popular it will become.

I-am-not-anonymous

Activity: 23

View Profile
February 24, 2010, 02:02:04 AM

Get Schools/Universities Involved in Bitcoin.  Encourage it's use within an economics class or within an economics project.

I'm sure it could somehow be worked into the curriculum. 
The Madhatter

View Profile
February 24, 2010, 02:33:48 AM

I have been covertly advertising bitcoin over the last month. Tongue

I have a lot of business contacts (over 30,000) in the tech/online business realm. I will start pushing it here soon. (Once I have automation up and running on my network). If even 1% of my contacts start using BC it will grow the network a LOT.

As long as exchangers can keep up with the business demands, I don't see any reason for BC to fail. Smiley

sirius
Bitcoiner

Activity: 429
Merit: 974

View Profile
February 24, 2010, 03:35:14 AM

A great way of advertising: Instead of shopping with a credit card, withdraw cash from an ATM and write "bitcoin.org" on each bank note that passes through your hands Grin

Iris — for better social networks
I'm not a forum admin - please contact theymos instead.
BitcoinFX
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2010, 04:05:49 AM

Classic idea sirius-m you crypto anarchist you ! Cheesy

Better still, you could make 'rubber stamps' for this very purpose and then set-up a website charging Bitcoins for them ! lol

On a more realistic note I've started promoting Bitcoin.org at various internet traffic / hit exchanges. This should add about 1000+ hits per week. Grin

"Bitcoin OG" 1JXFXUBGs2ZtEDAQMdZ3tkCKo38nT2XSEp | Bitcoin logo™ Enforcer? | Bitcoin is BTC | CSW is NOT Satoshi Nakamoto | I Mine BTC, LTC, ZEC, XMR and GAP | BTC on Tor addnodes Project | Media enquiries : Wu Ming | Enjoy The Money Machine | "You cannot compete with Open Source" and "Cryptography != Banana" | BSV and BCH are COUNTERFEIT.
The Madhatter

View Profile
February 24, 2010, 04:58:32 AM

I would deface bills with "bitcoin.org", but I don't have any space left after I ink on "Of what?" on each bill. Tongue
SmokeTooMuch
Legendary

View Profile
February 24, 2010, 12:09:24 PM

haha, reminds me of this http://encyclopediadramatica.com/Operation_LIONCASH ^^

Sabunir

Activity: 41
Merit: 13

View Profile
February 25, 2010, 04:45:56 AM

Writing "bitcoin.org" on paper money is not good, I think. Is it not illegal to deface money? Does Bitcoin need to come to governments' attentions in form of a crime?
The Madhatter

View Profile
February 26, 2010, 02:22:04 AM

It is only illegal in my country (not the US) to deface coins. Bills are fair game. Wink

Writing "bitcoin.org" on paper money is not good, I think. Is it not illegal to deface money? Does Bitcoin need to come to governments' attentions in form of a crime?
BitcoinFX
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2010, 02:53:44 AM

I don't think that any of us were actually going to 'deface' anything or intentionally do anything 'illegal'. Roll Eyes We were just being humorous. Grin

P.S. I'm just off to go and get Bitcoin.org tattooed on my forehead. Undecided

The Madhatter

View Profile
February 26, 2010, 03:07:20 AM

Oh, I know. Smiley I don't advocate illegal activity either. However, I can deface bills legally where I live. Tongue That was all I was saying.

I don't think that any of us were actually going to 'deface' anything or intentionally do anything 'illegal'. Roll Eyes We were just being humorous.
nandnor

Activity: 15

View Profile
March 05, 2010, 04:06:03 PM

I think that since bitcoins primary utility will (at least for the forseeable future) be as a sort of underground currency like egold, for less-than legal activities like tax evasion and underground business rather than generic money substitute. As such, currency exchangers should cater to that crowd and offer anonymous bitcoin-dollar exchanges where the clients are..
DannyM

Activity: 275
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 06, 2010, 03:25:33 PM

I think that since bitcoins primary utility will (at least for the forseeable future) be as a sort of underground currency like egold, for less-than legal activities like tax evasion and underground business rather than generic money substitute. As such, currency exchangers should cater to that crowd and offer anonymous bitcoin-dollar exchanges where the clients are..

While I certainly do not wish to make a ethical judgment on "less-than-legal" activities, I would like to register my opposition to a plan to explicitly "cater to that crowd", for at least strategic reasons.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: