Bitcoin Forum
June 03, 2024, 03:01:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbies don't mine!  (Read 3272 times)
kwiktech

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 12:41:11 PM

boogercoin. ima mine the shiz out of that

who wants to start up w/ me

I feel some mega booger nuggets coming my way

aight
CarbonAssassin

Activity: 37

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 01:09:02 PM

I disagree with this as ive made a decent amount of free money from this as my rig was bought for gaming. Its no extra expense and is free money back. Although i do agree you shouldn't buy hardware for it at this stage.
nortingon

Activity: 18

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 01:37:50 PM

no use in mining with low spec pc. trading the best
crypto_girl

Activity: 58

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 01:40:06 PM

I agree that mining Bitcoin, Litecoin or any other established coin is no longer profitable, but spending a day on something new is worthwhile for a chance of someday increase in value.

So only for early adoption Smiley
mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 2610

In a world of peaches, don't ask for apple sauce

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2013, 04:10:23 PM

I agree that mining Bitcoin, Litecoin or any other established coin is no longer profitable, but spending a day on something new is worthwhile for a chance of someday increase in value.

Well, if Bitcoin was to start rising again, it might regain its profitability.

bitpop (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2013, 04:12:06 PM

But you would make much more if you just bought coins now

r_deut

Activity: 5

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 05:03:19 PM

it is strange to read such suggestions.
mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2013, 05:04:03 PM

But you would make much more if you just bought coins now
Maybe. However if you want a heater as well, you can mine them. Tongue

elbedog

Activity: 9

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 05:06:52 PM

So I guess the best way to earn money is buy cheap alt currencies and trade them?

Sounds like wallstreet to me
mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2013, 05:11:06 PM

So I guess the best way to earn money is buy cheap alt currencies and trade them?

Sounds like wallstreet to me
BTC<->USD is still a viable market, so trading there might get you something.

jasonxion

Activity: 12

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 07:24:43 PM

I mine LTC with 2 video cards and Xeon CPUs and making money. I would agree mining for BTC with Video cards is a loosing proposition.
Sharrow

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 07:52:54 PM

I agree with OP that mining isn't worth while investing in at present. Not unless you've got thousands spare to buy a Bitcoin ASIC machine, which you probably wouldn't see for months. Even when it arrives, it will probably be superseded in a few weeks by bigger and better versions, not to mention the difficulty increases when thousands of these units are widely available to the public.

And unless you've got a PC with serious Radeon graphics power, then you're stumped with Litecoin and scrypt derivatives. Getting hold of decent Radeons is practically impossible in most countries, unless you have loads of cash to spare on an eBay bidding war.

Personally, I believe the best option is to do some homework and invest a few hundred into some of the new currencies. Whether you choose to keep them in the long term, or sell them quickly when they make a profit, then reinvest them, is up to you. Whichever way, get in ASAP and you will make a good return some day. I believe cryptocurrency is the biggest thing since teh interwebz and the sooner you can get on the bandwagon, the more you'll make on an incredible journey that's only just setting off.
bitpop (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2013, 09:07:21 PM

Let's just say, the Neptune I have coming, won't make my btc back by the time I get it. Buying btc now would have been a much better option but I'm stubborn.

Cor2

Activity: 595
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 09:27:49 PM

i'm mining with my pc @ 380 kh/s and laptop @ 40kh/s since 1 week 24/7, and having a lot of fun   Grin Grin Grin
Hi Erre,
For mining 1 Bitcoin you need approx 200Gh/s running for 2 weeks, after that the difficulty increases and you need at least 250-260 GHz for the next 2 weeks.
Your laptop at 40kh/s is mining approx 1/5000 Bitcoin in 2 weeks, so you get about a dime worth of Bitcoin after your laptop runs 2 weeks straight. Your electric bill is likely a dime per day for running your laptop 24/7. Also, running a laptop 24/7 at max performance will likely cause it to wear and break much faster - I know, because I tried a couple years ago with another distributed computer project. While I normally would expect a quality laptop to have no problem until it is obsolete after some 5 years, this one started giving problems after 2 years and occasional overheating caused the processor to start failing and become extremely slow (I think an on-chip cache failed).
So, while I agree with your learning and fun to have the experience, I doubt that you are even earning back the electricity that your computers are using for the hashing... So, don't expect that you are earning money by mining!

Edit: Oops - I was calculating that you were running Mh/s, but you have actually only 1/1000 of that power.
Going to the street and walk around until you find a penny will earn you money faster than mining ;-)

SYNC: Sd3XBRmhrrr39Wj4rtjb3YAkwWvCze44BZ                    ORB: odyWi677JDQy7Gc6Nv6kCdnajmScqgTkDE       Honest pools (payout matching calculation):
TransferWise: International money transfer for 1%fee        Doge to the moon! D9FGY7Bhwbj2jrnk7v8VR47HTu7vfVu1gV         Nut2pools and Steadymining
Cor2

Activity: 595
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 09:39:31 PM

Can I earn some crypto-money with some mining in an old computer ?
Hi Ivan,
Yes - you can mine with an old computer.
However, if you want to make money then you best switch off the computer.
Savings from the electricity will be more than you can generate in crypto-money with an old computer.
If the computer needs to run anyway, then you can use the idle time to generate a little crypto-money,
but I think you should be happy if you can make it generate a few pennies worth.
So, do it for the experience if you like, not to earn money.
Success,
Cor.

SYNC: Sd3XBRmhrrr39Wj4rtjb3YAkwWvCze44BZ                    ORB: odyWi677JDQy7Gc6Nv6kCdnajmScqgTkDE       Honest pools (payout matching calculation):
TransferWise: International money transfer for 1%fee        Doge to the moon! D9FGY7Bhwbj2jrnk7v8VR47HTu7vfVu1gV         Nut2pools and Steadymining
bitpop (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2013, 09:41:54 PM

i'm mining with my pc @ 380 kh/s and laptop @ 40kh/s since 1 week 24/7, and having a lot of fun   Grin Grin Grin
Hi Erre,
For mining 1 Bitcoin you need approx 200Gh/s running for 2 weeks, after that the difficulty increases and you need at least 250-260 GHz for the next 2 weeks.
Your laptop at 40kh/s is mining approx 1/5000 Bitcoin in 2 weeks, so you get about a dime worth of Bitcoin after your laptop runs 2 weeks straight. Your electric bill is likely a dime per day for running your laptop 24/7. Also, running a laptop 24/7 at max performance will likely cause it to wear and break much faster - I know, because I tried a couple years ago with another distributed computer project. While I normally would expect a quality laptop to have no problem until it is obsolete after some 5 years, this one started giving problems after 2 years and occasional overheating caused the processor to start failing and become extremely slow (I think an on-chip cache failed).
So, while I agree with your learning and fun to have the experience, I doubt that you are even earning back the electricity that your computers are using for the hashing... So, don't expect that you are earning money by mining!

Edit: Oops - I was calculating that you were running Mh/s, but you have actually only 1/1000 of that power.
Going to the street and walk around until you find a penny will earn you money faster than mining ;-)

Im assuming he meant ltc

droptable

Activity: 363
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 09:56:35 PM

A: to be new here, doesnt mean to be new at bitcoin.
    I read for more than a year and mine for 10 month.

B: some dont mine to become rich. some mine to can tell their grandchildren about it.  Grin

DΛRKCOIN -> is now -> DΛSH
----------
not DashCoin, not DarkDash, not anything. The Name has been / is changed the tech stays the same
infinitybo

Activity: 28

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 05:30:16 AM

You guys should sell some Bitcoin and back to the future Grin
fongfc

Activity: 11

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 05:37:12 AM

mining with a 290khs device Roll Eyes hoping to gain some money Grin
pstop1

Activity: 19

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 05:39:52 AM

i once mined with my laptop, then i realized i was losing more money than i was making
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: