Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 03:29:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Coming Very Soon, a real Bitcoin you can hold! (and is worth 1 BTC)  (Read 9231 times)
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2011, 05:21:00 AM
Last edit: August 19, 2011, 05:40:07 AM by casascius
Merited by ChiBitCTy (1)

I have decided to create some real physical Bitcoins.  Here's what's to come.  Cost: 1.15 BTC + shipping, with bulk discounts available.

Each coin has a private key embedded inside worth 1 BTC, covered by a custom Casascius hologram.  I'm just waiting on the holograms, then these are ready to go!  I will have the ordering website available when they are.  I can hardly wait to see them, they're supposed to be gold and have, among other things, a giant sparkling golden B logo in the middle.

Diameter: 1.125 inches.  Material: brass.  Price subject to revision with Bitcoin price fluctuations.  The back side is flat for the hologram, except for a small circular well which holds the private key.  The first 8 characters of the public Bitcoin address are visible on the outside, pre-printed on the hologram by the hologram manufacturer.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinStars.com

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 19, 2011, 05:23:29 AM

very interesting  Cool

good luck with your new business
geek-trader

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 19, 2011, 05:26:23 AM

This is super cool, and I will buy at least 1 when they are available

Make 1 deposit and earn BTC for life! http://bitcoinpyramid.com/r/345
Play my FREE HTML5 games at: http://magigames.org  BTC donations accepted.
MrJoshua

Activity: 76
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 19, 2011, 05:29:16 AM

Hey, casascius I'm a big fan.  I think we are the two first people to have bitcoins in our head.  I have a question though.

How is the public key displayed?

j

The value of bitcoins is not a theory, predictions of it's failure are what is theoretical.
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2011, 05:35:26 AM

How is the public key displayed?

Answer added to original post

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
joulesbeef

Activity: 476

moOo

View Profile
August 19, 2011, 06:10:50 AM

thought your paper wallet was pretty cool.. this is better.  I think you will do well. they would be good to give out to get people into bitcoin.
I dont know if you have, but you should either develop of link to one of the apps that make it easy to add keys to your wallet as i take it these will have to be broken open to put online?

it would be nice if one day they had something like a micosd card inside that you could just insert in a phone or a pc reader and point your wallet at it and go.(noted that would make them much more expensive)

Still I think these will sell well. It would be nice to see if some of the merchants who have adopted bitcoin will take them.

mooo for rent
borgfish

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 19, 2011, 06:36:29 AM

so , the coin with the hologram , the work arround it (filling adresses with 1 btc and so on ) for just 0.15 btc ?

i cant believe you get those done that cheap ...
CyberPhunk

Activity: 124

View Profile
August 19, 2011, 06:41:12 AM

Sounds interesting.

List of client download mirrors / Older Catalyst drivers/SDK
13dRbbqBpfZEmZiXXdLM4NKNoJYsgHbuFJ  <- might as well, in case someone feels generous. Wink
spiccioli
Legendary

Activity: 1378
Merit: 1003

nec sine labore

View Profile
August 19, 2011, 08:20:43 AM

I have decided to create some real physical Bitcoins.  Here's what's to come.  Cost: 1.15 BTC + shipping, with bulk discounts available.

casascius,

the correct Latin phrase is 'vis in numeris' (not vires).

my 2 satoshis Smiley

spiccioli.
BitcoinBug

Activity: 196

View Profile
August 19, 2011, 09:00:40 AM

Google seems to disagree with you...
http://www.google.com/webhp?q=%22vis+in+numeris%22
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
August 19, 2011, 10:20:31 AM

Price subject to revision?  So a Bitcoin will be pegged to a Bitcoin of a different value?  So, one of these Bitcoins that is worth 1 BTC can also be worth a different amount than 1 BTC?  This is all getting very confusing.  "Hey!  I have 20 BTC! They are worth 15.5 BTC!"
timmey

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 19, 2011, 10:57:05 AM

Call me dumb but i don't get the hologram/private key thing...
If the coin holds the private key, what prevents someone from reading it, sell the coin, and move the BTC away after it's sold? :-/
Can someone explain please?
spiccioli
Legendary

Activity: 1378

nec sine labore

View Profile
August 19, 2011, 10:59:55 AM

Google seems to disagree with you...
http://www.google.com/webhp?q=%22vis+in+numeris%22

Google is not able to correctly translate Latin Smiley

I've studied Latin in high school (5 years) here in Italy and my wife teaches Latin in high school.

'Vires' means 'soldiers', 'armed forces'.

When used in its plural form 'vires', it may mean 'strength', but only in sentences like 'vires defiunt' which means 'I'm becoming dizzy' (my 'forces' are going away, literally).

If you want to correctly translate 'strength (is) in numbers' the Latin for it is: 'vis in numeris'.

It was even used before, see:

http://articles.latimes.com/2000/dec/17/news/ss-5286

or a manuscript

De numeris: MS Hannover, Landeskirchlichen Archiv D 10 Nr. 1 (PfA Bissendorf HS 20) ff. 186r-195v [inc: Quanta sit vis in numeris noverant...

"How much strength is in numbers ... "

spiccioli.

TTBit
Legendary

Activity: 1136
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 19, 2011, 12:26:20 PM

If the coin holds the private key, what prevents someone from reading it, sell the coin, and move the BTC away after it's sold? :-/

Its just a single hop. Once it's revealed, you would want to withdraw.

good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment
Meatpile

Activity: 277

View Profile
August 19, 2011, 01:20:40 PM

Its "supposed" to be gold?? How could you have no idea what you are making?

Whoops, reading comprehension fail.
Piper67
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 19, 2011, 01:26:41 PM

Its "supposed" to be gold?? How could you have no idea what you are making?

That's just for the hologram.
Gerken

Activity: 126

View Profile
August 19, 2011, 02:41:27 PM

So is there a discount because of the shoddy translation or is it a "collectible unique" now?

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2011, 02:49:45 PM

Upon reading this thread, I came up with another brain-fart. What if there was a physical Bitcoin designed for each country?

• USA: Eagle
  • Canada: Loon
  • Turkey: Fez
  • France: Duck!
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2011, 04:18:19 PM

They would have to destructively tear off the hologram to read the key. These holograms tear in a tamper evident pattern.

kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1792

View Profile
August 19, 2011, 04:30:31 PM
Merited by ChiBitCTy (1)

I think there will probably never a need to tear off and read the key. These coins hold value and are meant as a physical btc exchange medium. Once the BTC is revealed and withdrawn, these coin's only value is its artistic+metal value. Thought there should be a way (like a serial number), for the holder to verify through your website, that the coin is not easily counter-feit and the key is valid.

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: