Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 02:07:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: This forum's software is horrible  (Read 1369 times)
Biggen (OP)

Activity: 160
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 03:20:48 AM

This is the most user un-friendly forum software I have ever seen.  I can't believe people actually post here.  If you aren't waiting the allotted time between searches, you certainly can't post because you haven't met the appropriate "waiting time" for a new user.  Then when you finally get posting privileges, type out your message, and then hit "Post", an error comes back saying you have to wait 360 seconds because it says something to the effect of you are posting too much and have to wait...

WTF?!  Is it the general mentality of the admins that they don't want easy use of their forums?  Because if that is the case, mission accomplished!!
ak84

Activity: 126

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 05:28:37 AM

SMF is on ver 2.x now, maybe they should upgrade..

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ Edutainment.Tech ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Double ICO: Games for smart and games for business
SmartGames    ◼ CorpEdu
SaltySpitoon
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 05:32:15 AM

This is the most user un-friendly forum software I have ever seen.  I can't believe people actually post here.  If you aren't waiting the allotted time between searches, you certainly can't post because you haven't met the appropriate "waiting time" for a new user.  Then when you finally get posting privileges, type out your message, and then hit "Post", an error comes back saying you have to wait 360 seconds because it says something to the effect of you are posting too much and have to wait...

WTF?!  Is it the general mentality of the admins that they don't want easy use of their forums?  Because if that is the case, mission accomplished!!

Those of which you speak are the newbie restrictions, those are completely necessary and here to stay.

SMF is on ver 2.x now, maybe they should upgrade..

New forum software is being built as we speak which will replace the outdated model.
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 05:33:25 AM

New forum software is being built as we speak which will replace the outdated model.
Really really? o.O
SaltySpitoon
Legendary

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 05:39:39 AM

Really really? o.O

Yeah, thats one of the reasons that Avatars haven't been fixed yet, why fix the old system that is going to be replaced soon anyway.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=371810.msg3988831#msg3988831
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 06:10:42 AM

Really really? o.O

Yeah, thats one of the reasons that Avatars haven't been fixed yet, why fix the old system that is going to be replaced soon anyway.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=371810.msg3988831#msg3988831

Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3640
Merit: 1569

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 10:57:41 AM

They've been building new software for a few years now I hear. Spending 6k btc on it too! If they really wanted new software they could just go out and buy vbulletin or xenforum for half a btc.
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1255

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 11:15:36 AM

They've been building new software for a few years now I hear. Spending 6k btc on it too! If they really wanted new software they could just go out and buy vbulletin or xenforum for half a btc.

No
Theymos was waiting for years, but the actual software started being developped only recently

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
Biggen (OP)

Activity: 160

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 07:59:31 PM

Buy vBulletin and be done with it.  Why re-invent the wheel by coding a whole new forum from scratch? Vbulletin is $250.  I bet if you asked your membership to take up a collection you would have enough BTC to pay for 1 license 10 times over within the week.
SaltySpitoon
Legendary

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 08:22:16 PM

No
Theymos was waiting for years, but the actual software started being developped only recently

This, and I'm pretty sure Theymos isn't spending $4M on forums software.

Also, I probably shouldn't have said soon, since I have no idea when it will be live, however its in production now.
ak84

Activity: 126

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 04:44:00 AM

You could just click "Upgrade to SMF v2.0.x" in the admin panel...

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ Edutainment.Tech ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Double ICO: Games for smart and games for business
SmartGames    ◼ CorpEdu
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1128

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2013, 10:48:35 AM

You could just click "Upgrade to SMF v2.0.x" in the admin panel...

That would likely break the custom mods he's done.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
Morbo

Activity: 115
Merit: 11

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 09:31:20 AM

Where is the code? Or the new forum software is proprietary?

http://drunkyoda.tk/ - Bitcoin blog by newbie for newbies (no ads, no reflinks, no donation begging)
dewdeded
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1011

Monero Evangelist

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 11:15:08 AM

Is there really a proprietary forum coming?
superresistant
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1130

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 11:26:10 AM

I am satisfied with the forum and the restrictions are more than needed.
Spam could kill the forum really fast. Would you post on a dead forum ?
the_poet
Legendary

Activity: 1137
Merit: 1035

Bitcoin accepted here

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 10:48:55 PM

"I'm confident the new forum script will be ready within a couple of weeks" ...he said in 2018! Cheesy

Under construction.
Faince1985

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 05:18:48 AM

You don't have to worry about those as soon as you become a junior. I guess this restrictions is because of auto-bots posting about crap and mods would need hours to clean the place if they were left loose.

Morbo

Activity: 115
Merit: 11

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 01:02:48 PM

I guess this restrictions is because of auto-bots posting about crap

Most bitcoin faucets use recaptcha, which means it provides enough protection against bots. Auto-bots could be stopped by recaptcha as well here, management just chooses the easy way for them, sometimes at the expense of our user experience Smiley

http://drunkyoda.tk/ - Bitcoin blog by newbie for newbies (no ads, no reflinks, no donation begging)
howzar

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 06:56:04 AM

The issue isn't about the software but the requirements set by the operator I think. The 360 seconds after any action shortens massively with time and reach 30-45 when you reach higher membership groups.
jonanon

Activity: 154

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 08:35:39 AM

If you don't like it don't use it. I think you'll find that most people agree these restrictions are necessary for the greater good of the forum.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: