Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 07:04:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 17 blocks in the last hour?  (Read 3273 times)
Cryptoman (OP)

Activity: 726
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 24, 2011, 03:32:36 PM

At this rate, the difficulty will be 100,000 in no time.  I guess it's the end of easy mining profits.

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history." --Gandhi

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
February 24, 2011, 03:36:20 PM

At this rate, the difficulty will be 100,000 in no time.  I guess it's the end of easy mining profits.

I call it: The Lucky Time.

ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
February 24, 2011, 03:40:14 PM

Six blocks in ten minutes, between 14:51 UTC and 15:01.
Cryptoman (OP)

View Profile
February 24, 2011, 03:59:15 PM

The upside is that transactions are confirmed very quickly and the network is very resistant to attack.  Unless, of course, this is an attack.

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history." --Gandhi
Mahkul

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Every saint has a past. Every sinner has a future.

View Profile
February 24, 2011, 04:27:59 PM

Only shows how small we have been and how little is needed to come up with the processing power greater than the network provides...
dust

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2011, 04:55:48 PM

This is probably just variance.

Cryptocoin Mining Info | OTC | PGP | Twitter | freenode: dust-otc | BTC: 1F6fV4U2xnpAuKtmQD6BWpK3EuRosKzF8U
theGECK

Activity: 411

View Profile
February 24, 2011, 04:59:22 PM

One hour does not a trend make. Wasn't there a time when a block wasn't solved for almost 10 hours? Maybe this is the other side of that. Just shows that even half of a day isn't enough to say that a trend has been spotted.

Use my referral codes for Bitcoin faucets and I'll send you 30% of my referral bonus - Win/Win! PM for details on all sites available or use one of the links here.

FreeBitco.in | FreeDoge.co.in
Mahkul

View Profile
February 24, 2011, 05:06:26 PM

Code:
Difficulty	        36460
Est. difficulty 51742
Diff. changes in 691 blks

Another significant jump is awaiting us.
Raulo

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 24, 2011, 05:12:08 PM

This is probably just variance.

A bit. But last 24 hours network hashspeed is 399 GH/s anyway which corresponds to difficulty 55702.

For a broader perspective, at difficulty of 100k, the network speed will be roughly equal to Tianhe-1A, the fastest supercomputer and at difficulty 200k roughly to Folding@Home, the most popular distributed computing project. This is no longer small potatoes and we are very close. 

But I wonder if anyone is surprised. The BTC jump to parity made mining extremely profitable (and I laugh at anybody who thinks it's good for him because due to resulting increase in difficulty, the individual mining output drops significantly). A lot of new people started mining (you can count mining related posts on the forum) and lot of people increased their previous mining capacity. If the BTC price stays the same, the increases in difficulty will slow down after about 50% jump during the upcoming round and likely 30%+ for the next one.

1HAoJag4C3XtAmQJAhE9FTAAJWFcrvpdLM
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
February 24, 2011, 05:30:23 PM

For a broader perspective, at difficulty of 100k, the network speed will be roughly equal to Tianhe-1A, the fastest supercomputer and at difficulty 200k roughly to Folding@Home, the most popular distributed computing project.

I foresee two more slashdottings on the way then!
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2011, 06:08:16 PM

I will agree wholeheartedly when there is a flood of 5970s on eBay that are hard to sell.

Obviously I have been promoting a lot of mining lately. And as you know from my YouTube video, I am pretty heavily invested into mining myself. So why would I want to shoot my own production in the foot?

I believe difficult mining will pave the way for BTC to go up and stay up for real.  Who will pay $10 for a BTC if it can be mined for 5 cents?  Solve that problem by promoting mining.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2011, 06:15:04 PM

I am going to make a large buy of BTC at MtGox in the next 10 seconds.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2011, 06:17:28 PM

I am going to make a large buy of BTC at MtGox in the next 10 seconds.

There, now we are one hundredth of a cent away from dollar parity again.

Cryptoman (OP)

View Profile
February 24, 2011, 06:21:38 PM

Good job, thanks!

kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
February 24, 2011, 07:04:50 PM

Then it got plopped down.

casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2011, 07:07:19 PM

Then it got plopped down.

Yeah true, only because someone sold 10 BTC... will pop right back up with the next buy of 10 BTC.

Ricochet

Activity: 373

View Profile
February 24, 2011, 08:06:17 PM

Wasn't there a time when a block wasn't solved for almost 10 hours? Maybe this is the other side of that.

I know there was a time in which slush's pool did not solve a block for 10 hours, but I suspect other blocks outside the pool were solved during that timeframe.
theGECK

Activity: 411

View Profile
February 24, 2011, 09:26:27 PM

Wasn't there a time when a block wasn't solved for almost 10 hours? Maybe this is the other side of that.

I know there was a time in which slush's pool did not solve a block for 10 hours, but I suspect other blocks outside the pool were solved during that timeframe.

I thought that the network was always working on the same block, and the first one to find it was considered the winner. Perhaps I've been sorely mistaken this whole time.

Use my referral codes for Bitcoin faucets and I'll send you 30% of my referral bonus - Win/Win! PM for details on all sites available or use one of the links here.

FreeBitco.in | FreeDoge.co.in
Mahkul

View Profile
February 24, 2011, 09:38:36 PM

I thought that the network was always working on the same block, and the first one to find it was considered the winner. Perhaps I've been sorely mistaken this whole time.

You are 100% right. The fact that slush's pool did not solve a block doesn't make any difference; the pool was just unlucky, while others were solving blocks with no problems (but the OP said that no block was solved for almost 10 hours generally, not just by slush's pool - I guess?).
eMansipater

Activity: 294
Merit: 273

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2011, 09:45:17 PM

Technically, each and every block attempt is unique:billions and billions of them every second.  It's just that once a new block is made you have to be sure to include its hash in your continuing attempts.  There's not really any sense in which everybody is working on the *same* block, except that if you are very unlucky and make a new block just after someone else did, but failed to include theirs, your attempt fails.  It's much more like each hash attempt is a lottery ticket, where you can make as many lottery tickets as you want and the odds of winning per ticket don't change until the difficulty is adjusted.  So when someone outside the pool finds a block, the pool doesn't "give up" and move on.  It just adds in that information, just like it did all the transactions that were coming in as it worked away.

You are 100% right. The fact that slush's pool did not solve a block doesn't make any difference; the pool was just unlucky, while others were solving blocks with no problems (but the OP said that no block was solved for almost 10 hours generally, not just by slush's pool - I guess?).

No, the OP meant only that none of the pool's lottery tickets turned out to be winners for 10 hours straight.  The network rate of wins varies but these days it would be extremely rare to go 10 hours without a winner anywhere on the network.

sincerely,
eMansipater

If you found my post helpful, feel free to send a small tip to 1QGukeKbBQbXHtV6LgkQa977LJ3YHXXW8B
Visit the BitCoin Q&A Site to ask questions or share knowledge.
0.009 BTC too confusing?  Use mBTC instead!  Details at www.em-bit.org or visit the project thread to help make Bitcoin prices more human-friendly.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: