Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 06:04:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Beware of scammer like this.....  (Read 269 times)
Flame Dragon King (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 4

View Profile
May 15, 2018, 03:12:59 PM
Last edit: May 15, 2018, 03:23:58 PM by Flame Dragon King
Merited by paulmaritz (1)

I want to share my experience about a person in this forum who just try to scam me.

Beware of the username quintiilieo in bitcointalk. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=715575 this is the link.

He pm me and say Hi! then he gave a link. After clicking it, the website is like as the bitcointalk welcome page. Then asking for me to login, I notice that I already login and there is no CAPTCHA required. So I dont login.

BEWARE TO ALL. HOPE TO HELP YOU WITH THIS. THANKS!

▬▬▬▬ ViValid.io  |  every item has a story
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ PRE SALE 14th May 2018
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Zwei

Activity: 487
Merit: 536

All I need's a win.

View Profile
May 15, 2018, 03:19:34 PM

Report the PM to Admin, so he get perm ban.

ASKING THE RIGHT QUESTIONS
IS AS IMPORTANT AS ANSWERING THEM.
Flame Dragon King (OP)

View Profile
May 16, 2018, 03:57:57 AM

Thank you for reporting, we don't need scammers like him on the forum.

Of course, who need a scammer ? we all don't need it. Very non sense reply, please be careful of what you reply. Just saying.  Smiley

Flame Dragon King (OP)

View Profile
May 16, 2018, 04:02:18 AM

Thank you for the tip, I will do it. People like that deserve to be banned permanently. They have no help in this forum yet they infesting here in community.

LTU_btc
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1330

Slava Ukraini!

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2018, 02:09:22 PM

As I understand, he gave you link to a phishing website? Good that you didn't tried to login. Otherwise I would recommend to change your password ASAP.
I see that this guy was already tagged as account farmer in past. I suspect that he is hacking accounts with help of phishing links. If victim tries to login on phishing website, he just collect login details, change password and later sell account.
Scammers can't get ban on bitcointalk, but I think he can be banned for spreading phishing links. Report him to global moderator would be a good idea.

Dudeperfect

Activity: 1190
Merit: 534

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2018, 05:13:21 PM

Yes, Sometimes even Google results show mirror sites above than the original site. The phishing is gaining momentum these days and it's not just about Bitcointalk but even this is happening in the case of popular crypto individuals or exchanges. Just go through tweets of any popular crypto exchange, you will find dummy accounts with exactly same information replying with a fake giveaway. Since crypto is all about self-responsibility, one should take extreme precaution while taking any decision.
Flame Dragon King (OP)

View Profile
May 17, 2018, 04:34:51 AM

Yes, Sometimes even Google results show mirror sites above than the original site. The phishing is gaining momentum these days and it's not just about Bitcointalk but even this is happening in the case of popular crypto individuals or exchanges. Just go through tweets of any popular crypto exchange, you will find dummy accounts with exactly same information replying with a fake giveaway. Since crypto is all about self-responsibility, one should take extreme precaution while taking any decision.
Thank you for the lesson. Your security is all depended in your own hand.  It is a pleasure to be notice by a hero member like you.

Flame Dragon King (OP)

View Profile
May 17, 2018, 04:40:33 AM

As I understand, he gave you link to a phishing website? Good that you didn't tried to login. Otherwise I would recommend to change your password ASAP.
I see that this guy was already tagged as account farmer in past. I suspect that he is hacking accounts with help of phishing links. If victim tries to login on phishing website, he just collect login details, change password and later sell account.
Scammers can't get ban on bitcointalk, but I think he can be banned for spreading phishing links. Report him to global moderator would be a good idea.

Two hero member in one topic so glad to be notice by you two. The website that he send is too suspicious, so I didn't login. Hackers are upgrading this days so upgrade yourself too to prevent lost. Thanks by the way. Smiley

cryptomadu

Activity: 350
Merit: 2

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2018, 02:19:34 PM

Scammers can't get ban on bitcointalk,

Why scammers can't get banned from the forum. Is there any rule like that ?. But I have seen lots of people have been banned due to posting same thing again and again/ sending PMs/ etc. So why scammers can't get banned ?

┈┈┈┈┈ CyberFlix TV App (https://cyberflixapktv.xyz) ┈┈┈┈┈
LTU_btc
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1330

Slava Ukraini!

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2018, 04:24:02 PM

Scammers can't get ban on bitcointalk,

Why scammers can't get banned from the forum. Is there any rule like that ?. But I have seen lots of people have been banned due to posting same thing again and again/ sending PMs/ etc. So why scammers can't get banned ?
According to forum rules:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=703657.0
19. Possible (or real) scams and Trust ratings are not moderated (to prevent moderation abuse).

But that guy can be banned because he break 6th rule:
6. No linking to phishing or malware, without a warning and a valid reason. [e]

paulmaritz

Activity: 672
Merit: 274

View Profile
May 17, 2018, 07:36:21 PM

I want to share my experience about a person in this forum who just try to scam me.

Beware of the username quintiilieo in bitcointalk. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=715575 this is the link.

He pm me and say Hi! then he gave a link. After clicking it, the website is like as the bitcointalk welcome page. Then asking for me to login, I notice that I already login and there is no CAPTCHA required. So I dont login.

BEWARE TO ALL. HOPE TO HELP YOU WITH THIS. THANKS!

Thanks for the heads up. Much appreciated.

According to his history, he started at least one bounty program: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1995197.msg19866306#msg19866306

P.S. And this makes for an interesting read: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1983595.0
paulmaritz

Activity: 672
Merit: 274

View Profile
May 17, 2018, 07:50:56 PM
Last edit: May 17, 2018, 08:04:29 PM by paulmaritz

It gets better. He carries the signature and avatar of this bounty campaign: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2436249.0

Yet, his username isn't on the spreadsheet of their signature campaign. That's nothing though, check the trust rating of that bounty manager (aTriz). I smell a big fat, dead rat there!
jak3
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
May 17, 2018, 07:57:06 PM

I don't get it, does phishing attacks works till now? I thought they are useless nowadays as because everyone knows about them. And I think this user is just wasting his time by sending others a phishing link there is no way that someone will click on that link and fill it with their real username and password. Come on it's 2018 bro no one is stupid enough to do that. It's good that you report to admin he should be perm ban for trying such stupid stuffs.
fraufreiheit

Activity: 252
Merit: 6

The Premier Digital Asset Management Ecosystem

View Profile
May 17, 2018, 08:04:10 PM

I don't get it, does phishing attacks works till now? I thought they are useless nowadays as because everyone knows about them.

Yeah, they still work and not only for stealing forum accounts, as in this case, but to steal users money as well. I see so many posts about ETH and tokens stolen from MEW after a person enters his private key on phishing MEW

||   ICONIQ HOLDING   ||
The Premier Digital Asset Management Ecosystem, Powered by the ICNQ Token
darkangel11
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1345

Defend Bitcoin and its PoW: bitcoincleanup.com

View Profile
May 17, 2018, 08:04:23 PM

It's a common thing since bitcointalk accounts are worth quite a lot of money. Even more after the introduction of the merit system.
I'll repeat for those who tend to skip to the last post ignoring the rest of the content:

1. Never click on suspicious links from random people, especially if those links are being PMed to you.
2. Report PM spam, unwanted advertising, links.
3. Check the person's trust page and leave negative trust. Een if this won't be visible as red trust because you aren't trusted yourself, you will be seeing this person as untrusted (painted red) until you decide to remove the comment. This will help you to avoid him later on and possibly make others do the same.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
iCryptoPro

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 19, 2018, 02:02:36 AM

This is why I never click on links from people that I don't know.

It's kinda crazy that someone would want to hijack a BitcoinTalk account haha. Never would've expected it.
wiser
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1029

View Profile
May 19, 2018, 04:26:41 AM

This is why I never click on links from people that I don't know.

It's kinda crazy that someone would want to hijack a BitcoinTalk account haha. Never would've expected it.

Established forum accounts are worth quite a lot, actually, and people do try to steal them, so you want to protect them in two ways.
1. Use a robust password and change it periodically. Definitely change it since your account was targeted, just in case.
2. Protect your reputation. Be careful about what you promote and how you behave on this forum.

In general, don't click on links you don't know, and certainly don't enter any credentials into them. You can go to the sites you go to by finding them on your own, typing in the url yourself, etc. Check for spelling as phishing sites are often just off by one character.

If you suspect that you compromised your account, then your best recourse is to quickly change the password to a new one, and be more careful.

So glad you caught on to this early! Great job!
ErrorLogCEO

Activity: 49

View Profile
May 19, 2018, 12:52:07 PM

It's a common thing since bitcointalk accounts are worth quite a lot of money. Even more after the introduction of the merit system.
I'll repeat for those who tend to skip to the last post ignoring the rest of the content:

1. Never click on suspicious links from random people, especially if those links are being PMed to you.
2. Report PM spam, unwanted advertising, links.
3. Check the person's trust page and leave negative trust. Een if this won't be visible as red trust because you aren't trusted yourself, you will be seeing this person as untrusted (painted red) until you decide to remove the comment. This will help you to avoid him later on and possibly make others do the same.

But how to know who to trust when a member that has 200+ merit does this kind of things?
I though that the more merit the member has the more trustworthy that person is.
Zwei

Activity: 487
Merit: 536

All I need's a win.

View Profile
May 19, 2018, 04:52:52 PM

But how to know who to trust when a member that has 200+ merit does this kind of things?
I though that the more merit the member has the more trustworthy that person is.

that a big mistake most newbies do, you don't trust someone according to his rank or merit, you trust him according to his trust rating and deals he had in the past.

ASKING THE RIGHT QUESTIONS
IS AS IMPORTANT AS ANSWERING THEM.
ErrorLogCEO

Activity: 49

View Profile
May 20, 2018, 09:05:29 AM

that a big mistake most newbies do, you don't trust someone according to his rank or merit, you trust him according to his trust rating and deals he had in the past.

I guess I can't see that trust rating yet.
Thanx for the tip.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: