Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 02:14:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Amazon GC safe to trade?  (Read 3109 times)
accord01 (OP)

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 12:04:50 AM

Not sure where to post this, but i'm wondering if Amazon GC are safe to trade.  I read somewhere that Amazon GC's can also be reversed!!!! so now I am afraid to trade.

Thanks.
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ceyre

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 12:08:29 AM

I'm actually curious myself.
If they can be reversed that is some bad news. 
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2013, 02:01:26 AM

As a seller yes, buyer no

TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2013, 02:04:24 AM

Easily reversed by chatting to Amazon customer support.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 02:09:58 AM

They're a nightmare for escrow, too, since either party could profit by lying. I refuse to touch them. You should only buy Amazon GCs from vendors you trust enough to not want escrow.
Doge Road

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 04:52:13 AM

No, can they can and are often be faked or carded. So Amazon is often removing Gift Money balance from your account and often also closes Amazon account, where faked or carded gift vouchers are credited to.

Hope this helps.

Steve
Doge Road Crew
AltorXP

Activity: 71
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 05:48:00 AM

No, can they can and are often be faked or carded. So Amazon is often removing Gift Money balance from your account and often also closes Amazon account, where faked or carded gift vouchers are credited to.

Hope this helps.

Steve
Doge Road Crew

As there is no way to tell if the Amazon GC is carded or not, don't take the risk.
They are also very easy to SE, so I highly don't recommend it.
michagogo

Activity: 80
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 12:27:41 PM

You are now connected to Christine from Amazon.com
Me:I had a question about the way your gift card system works. Is it possible for a gift card to be revoked or reversed, once it's redeemed to an account? If so, what happens to the account that the card was redeemed to? Is it safe to use an Amazon gift card in trade or barter, with the transaction being assuredly final once the claim code is entered and verified? (I understand that it *is* possible to get an unredeemed gift card cancelled and reissued, my question is, can a gift card, once deposited, be considered final?)
Christine:HI, my name is Christine. I would be happy to help you today.
Once a gift card has been used, or redeemed to an account we generally can't un redeem it.
Are you asking because you want to purchase an item and the seller is asking you to pay with a gift card code?
Me:I'm not asking for any one specific case
I'm trying to understand if, in general, if someone gives you a gift card code, can you safely accept it?
Christine:Okay so if for example
Me:Or is there a risk that the person who gave you the the code might contact you and try to retract the code, perhaps by claiming fraud?
Christine:Okay I see
Once the code is applied to your account, it is redeemed.
We can transfer gift card balances between accounts when there is a request, but we would never do that with unrelated accounts
If the question of fraud came up
We would look into the matter to determine if there is any merit to the accusation
But we wouldn't just remove the gift card
Me:Okay, thanks for the information.
Christine:You're welcome.
accord01 (OP)

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 01:58:03 PM

You are now connected to Christine from Amazon.com
Me:I had a question about the way your gift card system works. Is it possible for a gift card to be revoked or reversed, once it's redeemed to an account? If so, what happens to the account that the card was redeemed to? Is it safe to use an Amazon gift card in trade or barter, with the transaction being assuredly final once the claim code is entered and verified? (I understand that it *is* possible to get an unredeemed gift card cancelled and reissued, my question is, can a gift card, once deposited, be considered final?)
Christine:HI, my name is Christine. I would be happy to help you today.
Once a gift card has been used, or redeemed to an account we generally can't un redeem it.
Are you asking because you want to purchase an item and the seller is asking you to pay with a gift card code?
Me:I'm not asking for any one specific case
I'm trying to understand if, in general, if someone gives you a gift card code, can you safely accept it?
Christine:Okay so if for example
Me:Or is there a risk that the person who gave you the the code might contact you and try to retract the code, perhaps by claiming fraud?
Christine:Okay I see
Once the code is applied to your account, it is redeemed.
We can transfer gift card balances between accounts when there is a request, but we would never do that with unrelated accounts
If the question of fraud came up
We would look into the matter to determine if there is any merit to the accusation
But we wouldn't just remove the gift card
Me:Okay, thanks for the information.
Christine:You're welcome.

I'm not sure if she is actually competent in this matter.  Perhaps have her talk to her manager.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: