Bitcoin Forum
July 02, 2024, 10:19:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do coins encourage early adoption? (A lot)  (Read 1820 times)
Cognate (OP)

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 06:15:04 AM

So I often seen coins that give out higher amounts (x2, x5) on the first few days, or their blocks halve after a certain amount of time.

I know early adopters and people with big amounts of shares in a coin are essential to making it grow; but people don't want to participate in it because they miss this big adoption period.

If I remember correctly I saw Stable Coin started out with low block rewards and the blocks actually increased as time went on. This made it so late adopters don't feel any less screwed.

What is it about giving the first few people that jump on board hundreds of thousands or millions (depending on the coin) within the first few days?

Why are a few days worth several months later? Why don't coins simply have the distribution change based on the difficulty of the coin instead of halving it and leaving the late adopters out in the rain?

Can anyone explain to me why its set up this way? It just seems to be greed to me. The developers are more active and can mine a lot more coins while the difficulty is low AND with their boosted block payouts. I'd really appreciate if someone could honestly explain it. Does inflation really play that big of a role in it?
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2013, 06:27:16 AM

They are deliberate scams, designed to fail, deliberately not caring that they are insecure because they have no intention of leaving any of the wealth that they scam out of people sitting there in the designed-to-be-PWNed blockchain that they deliberately deployed and hyped despite it being quite clear from the outset that there was no chance that the chain could ever be secured thus in effect it was deliberately designed not only to scam people with a pump and dump but also to be abandoned before the fact that it has less than half of the hash power causes it to be PWNed by some other criminal(s) than its own developers.

Basically being crooks they know damn well their chain is designed to be PWNed but do not care because they plan to run off with the loot before some other gang of crooks does so by using hashpower.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
xploited

Activity: 304
Merit: 252

CLAM Dev

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 06:31:45 AM

It takes resources to mine and a new coin has a much higher risk associated with it then a coin that is already established. Theres the chance the coin will fail (and they do) and the resources you put into it will go to waste while you could have been mining something more gaurnteeded to give a positive return but with less possible potential growth.

Someone who is willing to take a larger risk (imo) should be rewarded proportionally as they also stand to take the biggest hit.

Whoisthelorax

Activity: 370
Merit: 251

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 06:32:22 AM

yep. greed mostly.
BlueDragon747
Legendary

Activity: 1509
Merit: 1030

Solutions Architect

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2013, 06:32:27 AM

So I often seen coins that give out higher amounts (x2, x5) on the first few days, or their blocks halve after a certain amount of time.

I know early adopters and people with big amounts of shares in a coin are essential to making it grow; but people don't want to participate in it because they miss this big adoption period.

If I remember correctly I saw Stable Coin started out with low block rewards and the blocks actually increased as time went on. This made it so late adopters don't feel any less screwed.

What is it about giving the first few people that jump on board hundreds of thousands or millions (depending on the coin) within the first few days?

Why are a few days worth several months later? Why don't coins simply have the distribution change based on the difficulty of the coin instead of halving it and leaving the late adopters out in the rain?

Can anyone explain to me why its set up this way? It just seems to be greed to me. The developers are more active and can mine a lot more coins while the difficulty is low AND with their boosted block payouts. I'd really appreciate if someone could honestly explain it. Does inflation really play that big of a role in it?

Blakecoin has a fair reward that increases over time based on difficulty and did not give any extra reward early just lower difficulty

most coins have no long term plan apart from dump the huge pile of coins devs got from the awful reward system they coded in the wallet and very often they only mine their own coin for a few days at the beginning then find a way to get listed on the exchange quickly so they can dump it  

it is greed and they are not trying to create anything useful but people seem to love it as long as it has a catchy name plenty of hype and maybe a few joke images

I failed to read the book on how to con people before I made Blakecoin  Roll Eyes

Info: GithubBlakecoin.org - BCT Blakecoin thread - Twitter - BCS - BlakeZone  Trade Blakecoin: Xeggex.com Merged Mining Pools: EU3 - NY2/AT1 - LA1
Donation Addresses: BLC: Bd3jJftFbwxWSKNSNz35vkDd57kG6jHAjt PHO: BZXPMc8eF9YZcJStskkP2bVia38fv9VmuT BBTC: 2h8c4NbzXJXk6QQ89r7YYMGhe13gQUC2ajD ELT: e7cm6cAgpfhvk3Myh2Jkmi1nqaHtDHnxXb 
UMO: uQH9H17t7kz3eVQ3vKDzMsWCK4hn5nh2gC LIT: 8p8Z4h5fkZ8SCoyEtihKcjzZLA7gFjTdmL BTC: 1Q6kgcNqhKh8u67m6Gj73T2LMgGseETwR6
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2013, 06:37:07 AM

It takes resources to mine and a new coin has a much higher risk associated with it then a coin that is already established. Theres the chance the coin will fail (and they do) and the resources you put into it will go to waste while you could have been mining something more gaurnteeded to give a positive return but with less possible potential growth.

Someone who is willing to take a larger risk (imo) should be rewarded proportionally as they also stand to take the biggest hit.

They deliberately design it to be insanely high risk, notice for example that they prefer to use scrypt even though as soon as there are two scrypt coins in existence it is very very unlikely that neither one of them has less than half of the scrypt hashpower and as soon as there are three or more scrypt coins in existence it is mathematically inevitable that all but possibly maybe one of them has less than half the hashing power.

So basically it is not "risk" except in the sense that deliberately playing a ponzi game aka gold-game is a "risk": the gamble aka risk is that you might not manage to get the hell out of there fast enough so will be one of the bag-holders aka losers aka victims.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
BlueDragon747
Legendary

Solutions Architect

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2013, 06:42:45 AM

They deliberately design it to be insanely high risk, notice for example that they prefer to use scrypt even though as soon as there are two scrypt coins in existence it is very very unlikely that neither one of them has less than half of the scrypt hashpower and as soon as there are three or more scrypt coins in existence it is mathematically inevitable that all but possibly maybe one of them has less than half the hashing power.

-MarkM-

I am less worried about network hashing power as Blakecoin has 100GH/s+ due to the fast and efficient Blake-256 algorithm

• 5.1GH/s on a AMD ATI Radeon 7990
  • 2.2GH/s on a AMD ATI Radeon 7970
  • 1.4GH/s on a AMD ATI Radeon 6970
  • 1.3GH/s on a AMD ATI Radeon 5870
  • 1.6GH/s on a ZTEX USB-FPGA 1.15y Quad Spartan-6 LX150 Development Board

with the higher hash rate should make for better mean averages for block finds (larger set)

Info: GithubBlakecoin.org - BCT Blakecoin thread - Twitter - BCS - BlakeZone  Trade Blakecoin: Xeggex.com Merged Mining Pools: EU3 - NY2/AT1 - LA1
Donation Addresses: BLC: Bd3jJftFbwxWSKNSNz35vkDd57kG6jHAjt PHO: BZXPMc8eF9YZcJStskkP2bVia38fv9VmuT BBTC: 2h8c4NbzXJXk6QQ89r7YYMGhe13gQUC2ajD ELT: e7cm6cAgpfhvk3Myh2Jkmi1nqaHtDHnxXb 
UMO: uQH9H17t7kz3eVQ3vKDzMsWCK4hn5nh2gC LIT: 8p8Z4h5fkZ8SCoyEtihKcjzZLA7gFjTdmL BTC: 1Q6kgcNqhKh8u67m6Gj73T2LMgGseETwR6
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2013, 06:44:39 AM

There is only one coin that uses Blake hashing anyway.

But, get ASICs as soon as possible, otherwise you are screwed because you are insanely unlikely to get half the GPUs in the world hashing Blake instead of hashing some other type of hash that GPUs are also capable of.

Heck you are quite unlikely even to get half of only those GPUs that are actively used to do mining of one kind or another, or even just half of the multi-GPU rigs that do mining or even half of the huge farms of many many many GPUs that do mining of one kind or another.

-MarkM-

BlueDragon747
Legendary

Solutions Architect

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2013, 06:49:34 AM

There is only one coin that uses Blake hashing anyway.

But, get ASICs as soon as possible, otherwise you are screwed because you are insanely unlikely to get half the GPUs in the world hashiong Blake instead of hashing some other type of hash that GPUs are also capable of.

-MarkM-

its on FPGA and GPU  Cool

not seen a faster more efficient hash than Blake on the GPU or FPGA

ex Bitcoin FPGA's: Lancelot, ztex 1.15y, cairnsmore 1 already have ports of Blakecoin  Grin

some time in 2014 I will release a merged coin to go along with Blakecoin them maybe people will understand that a new better algorithm is on the scene  Cheesy

markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2013, 06:50:32 AM

That just makes it even more vulnerable, as even people with FPGAs can attack it.

Design an ASIC as soon as possible.

You should have designed one before even considering such a coin, ideally even actually had them on the shelf ready to sell to the initial miners. But failing that, start designing one already before the chain is valuable enough to be worth attacking!

Take the damn FPGA firmware/design and hardcopy it (make a "hardcopy" ASIC) for starters just as a stop-gap to help try to discourage attack long enough to get a good well designed 20 nanometre or 28 nanometre ASIC made for it.

-MarkM-

BlueDragon747
Legendary

Solutions Architect

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2013, 06:57:16 AM

That just makes it even more vulnerable, as even people with FPGAs can attack it.

Design an ASIC as soon as possible.

(You should have designed one before even considering such a coin, ideally even actually had them on the shelf ready to sell to the initial miners. But failing that, start designing one already before the chain is valuable enough to be worth attacking!)

-MarkM-

I don't have that kind of investment it costs huge amounts to develop an ASIC and I have no plans to BFL people  Roll Eyes

all my FPGA's and GPU are on Blakecoin so any attacker would need more than that (which is possible) but the 20 block retarget sorts that out very quickly reacting large pumps in network rate

oh and 20nm FPGA are better investment as they are re-usable Wink

are you going to lend me the 200k for a hardcopy batch?

markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2013, 06:59:54 AM

Oh well then just another toy coin too insecure to store serious value in.

Too bad.

Even worse, all these toy coins might be why bitcoin failed to stay more valuable than the coins that moved away from blockchains into Open Transactions due to blockchains being too insecure to store serious value.

Look at the plots at http://galaxies.mygamesonline.org/digitalisassets.html

See how bitcoin dropped from being the most valuable asset?

By rights none of the others should ever have been able to even catch up with bitcoin, let alone surpass it, because bitcoin was and is the only blockchain having enough hashing power that it is pretty much impregnable even to all the supercomputers in the world all put together.

-MarkM-

BlueDragon747
Legendary

Solutions Architect

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2013, 07:00:43 AM

Oh well then just another toy coin too insecure to store serious value in.

Too bad.

-MarkM-

why do you say that?

Asic's are a scam without a mega huge market cap?

you can always sell an FPGA and the hashing power of 20nm FPGA's are not much diffrent to ASIC anyways  Undecided

markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2013, 07:03:52 AM

I was adding to previous post, please re-read.

-MarkM-

BlueDragon747
Legendary

Solutions Architect

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2013, 07:09:56 AM
Last edit: December 25, 2013, 07:21:20 AM by BlueDragon747

I was adding to previous post, please re-read.

-MarkM-

thats why I say Blake-256 gives 2-3x the hash power on same device (ex asic) so your theory would have Blakecoin as more secure maybe just needs 4 years?

once the block reward drops again lets see your love for Bitcoin then unless you have a huge pile you are sitting on Wink

all crypto coins are very volatile including Bitcoin

Edit:
there are work arounds out and recommendations about modification to the wallet to avoid the 51% attack I could always implement them if needed, but like I said they could only do 20 blocks before the retarget

burnum

Activity: 322
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 07:40:07 AM

Have you never put a bag over someones head and have them agree to whatever plan you have knowing that they want to be a part of whatever it is your doing? This is just about how I view crypto currency, all of them, bitcoin and all of its bastards, some very intelligent cryptography experts have sold the rest of the early adopters a chance to come out ahead of the Jones's with "new" (untested) currency for peer to peer trade, with some economic theory that makes all early adopters rich cause it is easy to obtain while in its infancy but will become more difficult and therefore more valuable as it grows, such a truly beautiful design it has Wallstreet sold on it (crooks) and thousands of people worldwide.
It only makes sense to follow in the steps of the most successful coin, the parent coin, and adopt the same rules that it started with and attempt to climb to its same status, give early adopters (supporters) a chance of great wealth, knowing that people talk and it will spread further, spread the information of the new and great currency so the few founder's attain great wealth.
Greed, i think so, or maybe it can be summed up as capitalism , not necessarily greed Per Se, but a personal drive to obtain wealth.
The philosophy behind bitcoin has been disguised and hidden from the masses and has also become directed by the greedy (capitalist)  community, the proof is that the common person cannot easily obtain a fair share of the currency without possibly falling victim to the volatile market, pretty sure everything I read 7 months ago was against people becoming victims of a market and crypto currency was meant to become a fair trade means of bartering peer to peer, when bitcoin became difficult to obtain greed set in, and developers of other coins followed the best path to success.

my 2 cents

Send me a message if you need me to respond to a post, or just send me some  $ADA in an amount that will get my attention = addr1qx7g7vzjtk9mcljxjy0vnewaljk33m67d227d95rsak8mmjdq5erwjygc05l6vftwdzy9qd3t4 9spl5kw5k6684gfawqw9r87w
BlueDragon747
Legendary

Solutions Architect

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2013, 07:52:52 AM

Have you never put a bag over someones head and have them agree to whatever plan you have knowing that they want to be a part of whatever it is your doing? This is just about how I view crypto currency, all of them, bitcoin and all of its bastards, some very intelligent cryptography experts have sold the rest of the early adopters a chance to come out ahead of the Jones's with "new" (untested) currency for peer to peer trade, with some economic theory that makes all early adopters rich cause it is easy to obtain while in its infancy but will become more difficult and therefore more valuable as it grows, such a truly beautiful design it has Wallstreet sold on it (crooks) and thousands of people worldwide.
It only makes sense to follow in the steps of the most successful coin, the parent coin, and adopt the same rules that it started with and attempt to climb to its same status, give early adopters (supporters) a chance of great wealth, knowing that people talk and it will spread further, spread the information of the new and great currency so the few founder's attain great wealth.
Greed, i think so, or maybe it can be summed up as capitalism , not necessarily greed Per Se, but a personal drive to obtain wealth.
The philosophy behind bitcoin has been disguised and hidden from the masses and has also become directed by the greedy (capitalist)  community, the proof is that the common person cannot easily obtain a fair share of the currency without possibly falling victim to the volatile market, pretty sure everything I read 7 months ago was against people becoming victims of a market and crypto currency was meant to become a fair trade means of bartering peer to peer, when bitcoin became difficult to obtain greed set in, and developers of other coins followed the best path to success.

my 2 cents

yeah one of the biggest things I don't like about Bitcoin is the block reward reduction and its in almost all the other coins

I left it out for Blakecoin as it just feels wrong I want to be able to mine for many many years  Cool

also the pre/insta mine type coins are a joke but so many take it as "most profitable" which is crazy as after a few months some of them only offer 1 coin block reward, who is going to mine 1 coin block reward when at the beginning it was 1 million or something  Shocked

hostmaster

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2013, 07:54:59 AM

They are deliberate scams, designed to fail, deliberately not caring that they are insecure because they have no intention of leaving any of the wealth that they scam out of people sitting there in the designed-to-be-PWNed blockchain that they deliberately deployed and hyped despite it being quite clear from the outset that there was no chance that the chain could ever be secured thus in effect it was deliberately designed not only to scam people with a pump and dump but also to be abandoned before the fact that it has less than half of the hash power causes it to be PWNed by some other criminal(s) than its own developers.

Basically being crooks they know damn well their chain is designed to be PWNed but do not care because they plan to run off with the loot before some other gang of crooks does so by using hashpower.

-MarkM-

Good explanation. These shortcuttters really hurt general coin economy. General trust dies slowly.
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2013, 08:01:42 AM

Expect more different types of hashing, it was extremely predictable that the scammers / crooks would start adapting to the "if there are two using the same hash it is extremely unlikely that neither of them has less than half the hashpower" argument by routinely changing the hashing type or even using combinations, sequences, and so on in order to increase the number of different hashings so they can continue to churn out many new scams a day yet still have them all use different hashing.

That has been happening since way back with Quark for example, of course, but day by day the IQ a scammer needs in order to finally catch on goes down so expect even the most stupid scammers to catch on eventually.

It doesn't so much matter which hash or hashes are used as whether they can get more than half of the hardware that is capable of doing that type of hashing to secure their chain.

Which basically means they each need an ASIC unique to their chain.

-MarkM-

BlueDragon747
Legendary

Solutions Architect

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2013, 08:10:36 AM

-MarkM-

Good explanation. These shortcuttters really hurt general coin economy. General trust dies slowly.

this would be less of a problem if the hashing algorithm was faster, scrypt is just awful for mining and can only lead to a slow death for the coin especially if the typical block reward is reduced after x blocks etc..

it is just such a shame that when I develop something new like Blakecoin it get buried in a sea of joke/fake/scam coins  Cry

you don't need Asic against 51% can set rules in wallet

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: