Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 11:26:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Just got some Xmas money, looking to invest in Crypto, what's hot right now?  (Read 2088 times)
maphmatix (OP)

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 09:42:24 AM

I only recently just got my head around the technology of Bitcoin, having spent a solid 2 weeks of researching and learning and I as a result, I have become a firm believer in the amazing potential it has to offer the world.

Feeling as though I may have missed the bitcoin boat as it were is a little peeving, especially as I've been hearing about it regularly from Max and Stacy for well over a year now........but anyway, it's always easier to make calls with the benefit of hindsight.

As a result of embracing the world of Bitcoin however I am aware that there are still going to to be a whole load of amazing opportunities to get behind, ideas that complement and evolve the technology. 2 technologies that I have been looking into seriously lately are Ripple and Mastercoin. Does anyone have any good or bad things to say about these? How could I invest in either of these 2 options? Any other recommendations that I should be looking at investing a little spare cash into? All feedback and replies appreciated.

Thanks & Happy Christmas Smiley
guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1195

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 10:10:45 AM

I only recently just got my head around the technology of Bitcoin, having spent a solid 2 weeks of researching and learning and I as a result, I have become a firm believer in the amazing potential it has to offer the world.

Feeling as though I may have missed the bitcoin boat as it were is a little peeving, especially as I've been hearing about it regularly from Max and Stacy for well over a year now........but anyway, it's always easier to make calls with the benefit of hindsight.

As a result of embracing the world of Bitcoin however I am aware that there are still going to to be a whole load of amazing opportunities to get behind, ideas that complement and evolve the technology. 2 technologies that I have been looking into seriously lately are Ripple and Mastercoin. Does anyone have any good or bad things to say about these? How could I invest in either of these 2 options? Any other recommendations that I should be looking at investing a little spare cash into? All feedback and replies appreciated.

Thanks & Happy Christmas Smiley

What makes you interested in Mastercoin and Ripple? They're apparently both scamcoins.
bitcoinBull
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1001

rippleFanatic

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 01:40:58 AM

What makes you interested in Mastercoin and Ripple? They're apparently both scamcoins.

I agree with you on MasterCoin.

But I beg to differ on Ripple. Current USD gateway cap is $2,630,696.87 -- $2.2 million of which is held as Bitstamp USD. That's "gateway capitalization" - literally dollar funds held in the form of bitstamp USD on Ripple. It is NOT "market cap" - where you take the price of coin and multiply it by the total float, to get some outrageous number for a 2-day-old alt-scam-coin claiming the total market is worth a hundred million dollars. Just to be clear - "gateway cap" is NOT "market cap".

To the OP, whichever tickles your fancy, I highly recommend you dollar-cost average your investment over several months (6-12 months). Do not jump in head first!  Best of luck & have fun!

College of Bucking Bulls Knowledge
infinitybo

Activity: 28

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 09:04:24 AM

@Maphmatix Effectively the world of BTC is about to be universal furthermore there is a bunch of amazing opportunities.
jonanon

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 09:28:29 AM

You've got to be careful investing in alts - lots of pointless coins.

There are a few good ones though - try Anoncoin for a start, Peercoin, Worldcoin and Feathercoin to name a few respected ones.

Make sure to do your research!
Parazyd

Activity: 812
Merit: 587

Space Lord

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2013, 09:30:43 AM

You should buy Bitcoins Wink

Altcoins are in no way superior to BTC, have no infrastructure, literally nobody accepts them for payment.
Maybe LTC, but that's it.
jonanon

Activity: 154

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 09:32:03 AM

Altcoins are in no way superior to BTC, have no infrastructure, literally nobody accepts them for payment.

That's a good point. There is a small chance that a few alt currencies will make it big - the trick is knowing which one will before it actually does  Cheesy
hizzari

Activity: 27

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 09:35:08 AM

The following coins are ones that I would suggest investing in, based on their recent behaviour:

Argentum
http://digitalcoin.co/forums/index.php/board,11.0.html?PHPSESSID=48309ae021e3e2d8a98befe2343b44ee
http://argcurrency.org/

MemoryCoin
http://memorycoin.info/

GameCoin
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=263600.560
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B49exKIsGBn5QlNoVGNtMXZhVlE/edit?pli=1
https://apps.memopal.com/e/KQWU74UL

http://www.coin-base.org/game/
http://gme.crypto-expert.com/

http://gamecoin.kicks-ass.net/
http://gmeblockexplorer.is-very-good.org/

EZcoin
http://www.ezcoin.org/

Noirbits
http://www.noirbits.com/

PhoenixCoin
http://phoenixcoin.org/
https://cryptocointalk.com/forum/186-phoenixcoin-pxc/

Florincoin
www.florincoin.org/

Fedoracoin
www.fedoraco.in

If you want to trade, be a bro and join Ecrypto using this link:

http://ecrypto.net?ref=405
Msile

Activity: 658
Merit: 503

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 09:35:13 AM

Altough this is true, Altcoins do grow more rapidly if BTC grows. Let's take Peercoin, When BTC was 620-660, PPC was close to 3.
Now BTC is 700 and PPC is 3.7. It just grows more rapidly and therefor will give you more profit, but the risks ofcourse are higher because an altcoin doesn't have infrastructure. Same with newer coins, how newer and less known how more risk and probably more profit too.
Parazyd

Space Lord

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2013, 09:36:54 AM

That's a good point. There is a small chance that a few alt currencies will make it big - the trick is knowing which one will before it actually does  Cheesy

Only LTC has some "potential", as being one of the first, but I don't see any newer altcoins "making it".
guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 09:39:15 AM

I agree with you on MasterCoin.

But I beg to differ on Ripple. Current USD gateway cap is $2,630,696.87 -- $2.2 million of which is held as Bitstamp USD. That's "gateway capitalization" - literally dollar funds held in the form of bitstamp USD on Ripple. It is NOT "market cap" - where you take the price of coin and multiply it by the total float, to get some outrageous number for a 2-day-old alt-scam-coin claiming the total market is worth a hundred million dollars. Just to be clear - "gateway cap" is NOT "market cap".

There seems to be a lot of info on what a scam Ripple is:

http://ripplescam.org/
http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/11172/is-ripple-a-scam
bitsoaps

Activity: 3

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 09:39:33 AM

My advice is to invest in bitcoins.

What is very important is that you choose a business that accepts bitcoin and SPEND some of it. This way you are helping widespread adoption, and gives merchants more confidence. That is one of the keys to success for crypto currency. If everyone bought bitcoins to hoard, there would be no value.  
Msile

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 09:42:18 AM

That's a good point. There is a small chance that a few alt currencies will make it big - the trick is knowing which one will before it actually does  Cheesy

Only LTC has some "potential", as being one of the first, but I don't see any newer altcoins "making it".

I think Peercoin and maybe some more have more potential than LTC. Peercoin has really some new things like Proof of Stake while LTC is pretty much just a clone.
maphmatix (OP)

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 10:42:50 AM

Wow! Thanks for your responses guys. I have been looking into a lot of alt-coins but none are really doing it for me. I had already bought some bitcoins, when they were at a near high of $982. I wish I had of waited a week though as I could have bought in the $600+ mark. I'm kind of kicking myself that I went all in on my first trade and didn't dollar cross average over a longer period of time. I have learnt a valuable lesson though, making this trade on the high side hopefully pay off, through experience in the long run. This is my first dabble at trading and as such it's all a bit of a learning curve. I will definitely being buying more BTC but will not be making the same mistake again.

Anyway, the reason that I like Mastercoin as a concept is that it is actually built as a new protocol layer on top of the already existing Bitcoin protocol, utilising the massive hashing and network power. These points alone seem to lend Mastercoin to possibly being the next big thing in the world of bitcoin, adding additional functionality whilst utilising the immense infrastructure of the blockchain and network. I have read a lot of positive things about the potential of Mastercoin. No fans here then?

I have also set my MacBook up to 'mine' Ripples through joining the 'computing for good' program by RippleLabs. Whilst not technically mining, you get given Ripple XRP for contributing computer processing power to scientific causes. I have also read some really positive stuff about Ripple, with some predictions saying that Ripple is he future of Cryptocurrency and a Fiat lending and trading and that in essence it compliments Bitcoin perfectly and would only serve to enhance and Strengthen the Bitcoin protocol and the bitcoin currency. What are your thoughts on that?

Also, is anyone here digging Protoshares/Bitshares? I think the new Coda consortium could be a really positive thing for the Bitcoin world as it effectively groups together Mastercoin, Bitshares and Coloured Coins into a self regulating consortium made up of and linked in to a lot of Bitcoin programmers, so the support is there. Also, Mastercoin has just hit Cryptocoin Market cap in 3rd position, it looks like it means business. A lot of points made and questions asked I know, thanks for any further responses and suggestions. Anything you think is particularly hot right now? I just noticed that LTC is like up 23%, nice! (If you hold some that is)
hostmaster

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2013, 10:54:26 AM

Bitcoin and Quark very promising for the future.
guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 10:57:07 AM

I have also read some really positive stuff about Ripple, with some predictions saying that Ripple is he future of Cryptocurrency and a Fiat lending and trading and that in essence it compliments Bitcoin perfectly and would only serve to enhance and Strengthen the Bitcoin protocol and the bitcoin currency. What are your thoughts on that?

Also, is anyone here digging Protoshares/Bitshares? I think the new Coda consortium could be a really positive thing for the Bitcoin world as it effectively groups together Mastercoin, Bitshares and Coloured Coins into a self regulating consortium made up of and linked in to a lot of Bitcoin programmers, so the support is there. Also, Mastercoin has just hit Cryptocoin Market cap in 3rd position, it looks like it means business. A lot of points made and questions asked I know, thanks for any further responses and suggestions. Anything you think is particularly hot right now? I just noticed that LTC is like up 23%, nice! (If you hold some that is)

What positive stuff? I see mainly negative and scam accusations. All altcoins have somebody saying they're the future etc.

And it's in third position on coinmarketcap because the markets are being fraudulently manipulated.
Msile

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 12:59:22 PM

I haven't researched Quark. But could you tell me why Quark is promising?
DodoB

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 01:02:08 PM

You can try dogecoin,its getting more popular everyday.
Parazyd

Space Lord

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2013, 01:21:30 PM

I haven't researched Quark. But could you tell me why Quark is promising?

Some people say it's promising and some call it a scam.
Best to leave it alone  Smiley
Aki4real

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 01:22:17 PM

Wait for LOT to be enlisted on exchanges..
Also CSC is a possible winner!
whiskers75

Merit: 502

Doesn't use these forums that often.

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 01:27:06 PM

This is not cryptocointalk.org.  Angry

Elastic.pw Elastic - The Decentralized Supercomputer
ELASTIC ANNOUNCEMENT THREAD | ELASTIC SLACK | ELASTIC FORUM
zertop

Activity: 4

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 01:29:18 PM

CSC coin very hot, https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=258090.0 check it out Smiley
Parazyd

Space Lord

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2013, 01:30:05 PM

This is not cryptocointalk.org.  Angry

+1, although a lot of stuff is being discussed here.
ABitBack

Activity: 524
Merit: 502

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 01:39:40 PM

DGC - great community and developers behind it and relatively cheap, I think it will explode soon.

Parazyd

Space Lord

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2013, 01:40:37 PM

DGC - great community and developers behind it and relatively cheap, I think it will explode soon.

It's a troll coin that could actually be worth something.
sypack

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 01:47:31 PM

I'm new to this, have some time and a spare pc with a 270x gpu.

What should i mine that gives me the most profit. Fortunately i have solar panels so the powercost is neglectable for me Smiley

I've also created a nxt account that should mine (forge) without cpu power (sounds great) but how do i get some coins in that account?
SilverandBitcoins

Activity: 187

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 03:27:05 PM

To original poster:  I've done the best with the big boys, long-term - BTC and LTC, PPC.  The smaller, lesser known coins are much more volitile and you have to watch them very closely.

Cause, I aint proud - BTC: 1DyXSR8nsB56yhTUhR5HMKLzB6UpytiWnK
moolagwapeno

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2013, 04:02:49 PM

so just off that would you say now is a time to get into LTC or BTC? if you havent already bought into either? from the analysis ive done btc might take a $300 dive in the next few weeks
movingchair

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 09:06:22 PM

If you look for long term invest, BTC, LTC are pretty safe, otherwise i think top 12 coinmarketcap coins are better for trading.
Parazyd

Space Lord

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2013, 09:09:14 PM

I don't agree that LTC is safe. Careful there...
SilverandBitcoins

Activity: 187

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 09:43:09 PM

so just off that would you say now is a time to get into LTC or BTC? if you havent already bought into either? from the analysis ive done btc might take a $300 dive in the next few weeks
. That's a tough question.  Have you considered some of both since you don't even have BTC yet?

Cause, I aint proud - BTC: 1DyXSR8nsB56yhTUhR5HMKLzB6UpytiWnK
movingchair

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 02:39:53 AM

If you want to make some quick money by trading, I think most coins listed on coinmarketcap are pretty much all good, because they nomally rise with bitcoin, sometime faster than BTC.

There is an article about BTC will reach 100K, so you believe in it, BTC will be good buy and hold for long term.

There is always a risk to invest in alt coins, make sure do some research before you decide anything.

I wonder why u think ripple and mastercoin are good. Huh
infinitybo

Activity: 28

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 10:16:16 AM

@Parazyd More importantly some people are doubting however if you are an investissor that's anormal to doubt about your choices.
guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 10:23:34 AM

LTC needs some merchants behind it for it to go anywhere.
Parazyd

Space Lord

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2013, 10:25:38 AM

That's what I've been telling to everyone. Altcoins have no infrastructure and that's why they aren't "making it".
Also, we don't actually need altcoins, there's enough BTC for everyone.
guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 10:40:14 AM

That's what I've been telling to everyone. Altcoins have no infrastructure and that's why they aren't "making it".

Yeah, but a lot of peeps think BTC is out of reach/too expensive now so they look for the next best thing. All these alts will die once mining becomes unprofitable unless they can get places to actually accept them as currency.
Parazyd

Space Lord

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2013, 10:43:29 AM

How can it be expensive Huh
You don't have to buy an entire Bitcoin, you know?
1 mBTC is less than a buck.
tearfereon

Activity: 138

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 10:43:33 AM

Altcoins are good for GPU mining, as long as someone buying altcoins, it make my GPU mining profitable.
Parazyd

Space Lord

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2013, 10:47:44 AM

That's true. I've had my fair share in some altcoins too, but exchanged it all for Bitcoin.
guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 11:04:25 AM

Well I'm aware of that but it seems to be the logic and excuse of many newbs. I guess they just want to hold at least one of something or would rather try get rich quick another way.
Parazyd

Space Lord

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2013, 11:08:01 AM

Well I'm aware of that but it seems to be the logic and excuse of many newbs. I guess they just want to hold at least one of something or would rather try get rich quick another way.

I was going to suggest it to promote that (the fact it isn't necessary to buy 1+ BTC) to the Bitcoin Foundation, but we're kinda lazy, and just my vote isn't enough Undecided
justascrypto

Activity: 3

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 11:17:40 AM

Well, as it might sound a bit funny, but now is the time to invest into Dogecoin. It spreaded super fast as no other coin did and it's still growing. There are numerous things being developed for dogecoin and the whole community is big and supportive. Just take a deeper look into it and do some research Smiley Good luck!
Parazyd

Space Lord

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2013, 11:18:24 AM

That's crazy talk.
sunnyverv

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 11:25:51 AM

dogecoin won't be worth alot more then it is now. I would invest in more stable coins like LTC,NMC. Personally i do mine Lottocoin as i can get 30$ a day with two gpus
moolagwapeno

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2013, 11:23:50 PM

. That's a tough question.  Have you considered some of both since you don't even have BTC yet?

im doing what i can to get a little of both so far i have 0.003 BTC ive got for free using faucets and I'm giving bitcoin-trader.biz a try you can buy shares for $20 if anybody has any info on that site it would be greatly appreciated
Jiyome

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 11:52:51 PM

Bernankoin is the future!
You heard it here first! Wink

And by the way, hello everyone! Smiley

MrPalmer

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 12:21:47 AM

Hard to tell the pump and dumps these days.  Mastercoin seems interesting. 

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: