Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 06:17:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Infected USB Drive Meets Windows Guest Account  (Read 989 times)
CoinGeneral (OP)

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

The General

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 10:14:53 PM

Hypothetically speaking, is there any protection at all from this?

Let's say you have a USB from years back that you used to back up Bitcoin and other Alt currencies, it may or may not have a virus, let's say you think it does and you are paranoid.

You want to put it into a brand new computer so you can load up the wallet data, however you have no idea if there's a virus on the USB drive or not, and there is a lot of sensitive data on your computer you don't want stolen.

If you make a Windows Guest account with no administrative privileges or access to other user files and then plug in the USB drive while signed into Guest, will that provide any protection whatsoever?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Schleicher

Activity: 675
Merit: 513

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 10:21:30 PM
Last edit: December 25, 2013, 10:36:53 PM by Schleicher

Fortunately Microsoft has disabled the Autorun feature for USB drives some time ago.
If you only want to copy the wallet file then everything should be ok, no matter what account you use.

If you need to run a program that's on the USB drive then a restricted account wouldn't help much.
Either you can't run any program there, not even malware.
Or you can run all programs on the USB drive, including malware.
Either way, you would be screwed.
With a restricted account the infection could only spread to files the account has write rights to.

CoinGeneral (OP)

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

The General

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 02:47:13 AM

Fortunately Microsoft has disabled the Autorun feature for USB drives some time ago.
If you only want to copy the wallet file then everything should be ok, no matter what account you use.

If you need to run a program that's on the USB drive then a restricted account wouldn't help much.
With a restricted account the infection could only spread to files the account has write rights to.

Wow that's awesome.

So I can drag and drop wallet data files into and out of the USB drive and have no problems?

Also it's not possible for a virus to sneak in if I don't see the file in the USB?

grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 03:10:06 AM

So I can drag and drop wallet data files into and out of the USB drive and have no problems?

Also it's not possible for a virus to sneak in if I don't see the file in the USB?
That is correct. The only exception is if the virus planted an exploit in one of the files and you opened it. (extremely unlikely)

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 10:37:01 AM

Wow that's awesome.

Just use a Linux LiveCD to access the USB stick, and be done with it.

Next !

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: