Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 09:07:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Children defy police in Washington, purchase lemonade at Capitol  (Read 3552 times)
dayfall

Activity: 312
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 22, 2011, 09:13:02 PM

Um, the police did the right thing.  No reason why they would risk being fired for the sake of some greedy people who want to avoid paying for a permit.  Its not their land so they have no right to use it against the will of the owners.

I am not questioning if they did the right thing.

I can't take you seriously if you think any of this was about greed.  I imagine if your neighbor was fined a million dollars for some minor problem, then you would say "Suck it up and stop being so greedy."  Yes, I think you would.

Perhaps I don't know what "public" means, but if I get your rebuttal correct, then they could sell their lemonade on my property if i gave them permission?  Well, I say, congratulations, you understand the point of the protest.  I am so proud of you.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Hawker
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 22, 2011, 09:28:51 PM

In simple terms, they don't own the land.  They want to use the land to sell stuff.  Lemonade, beer, burgers, clothes, souvenirs, its a great spot.

The owner of the land does not want it used for vendors.

The police, acting on behalf of the land owner, asked them to stop using the owners land and when they refused, the police arrested them.

Thats what police are for; they did the right thing.

Of course its win for the protesters, as the main objective of the protest is to get people to consider rezoning that area as commercial property and at least we are talking about it.  But don't confuse the issue by regarding the police as the problem.  If you don't like the rule, the land owner is the problem.

helloworld

Activity: 266

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 01:30:27 AM

In simple terms, they don't own the land.  They want to use the land to sell stuff.  Lemonade, beer, burgers, clothes, souvenirs, its a great spot.

The owner of the land does not want it used for vendors.

Oh my god.

This has absolutely nothing to do with what this video is about.

Even if the owner of the land said "Hey vendors come and sell lemonade on my land!" they still would be breaking the law* because they didn't get an official license to sell lemonade.

*This is the law they're protesting, not some private/public property issue.
trentzb

Activity: 406
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 01:51:14 AM

Is some sort of license required to sell lemonade on your own private property? I have never heard of such a requirement, but I have never had the need to look into it.
Anonymous

August 23, 2011, 02:16:41 AM

This protest has no respect for property rights. If they want to have the right to sell lemonade on their property without a permit then why don't they do it on THEIR PROPERTY/PROVISIONED PRIVATE PROPERTY?

They make their whole cause look bad.
AyeYo

Activity: 154
Merit: 103

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 03:00:44 AM

This protest has no respect for property rights. If they want to have the right to sell lemonade on their property without a permit then why don't they do it on THEIR PROPERTY/PROVISIONED PRIVATE PROPERTY?

Wow... mark your calendars, folks.  This will be the first and probably only time I agree 100% with Atlas.

Enjoying the dose of reality or getting a laugh out of my posts? Feel free to toss me a penny or two, everyone else seems to be doing it! 1Kn8NqvbCC83zpvBsKMtu4sjso5PjrQEu1
helloworld

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 04:21:22 AM

Wow... mark your calendars, folks.  This will be the first and probably only time I agree 100% with Atlas.

I also 100% agree.

If they had have done as Immatlas Go suggested then people watching the video wouldn't mistake the issue for one of property rights instead of one of vendor-licensing requirements.
trentzb

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 05:02:29 AM

Are you saying that if I set up a lemonade stand on my own private property (in USA) with the intent to sell lemonade, I would need to get a vendor license?
Anonymous

August 23, 2011, 05:07:47 AM

Are you saying that if I set up a lemonade stand on my own private property (in USA) with the intent to sell lemonade, I would need to get a vendor license?

Yes. In my town that is the case.
FlipPro
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 05:08:11 AM

Wow... mark your calendars, folks.  This will be the first and probably only time I agree 100% with Atlas.
+1 Logical thinking. Someone hacked into his account  Cheesy.
hugolp (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1148

Radix-The Decentralized Finance Protocol

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 05:09:27 AM

The police is shutting down a lot of kid stands that try to sell lemonade to earn a few dollars during summer (like they use to do) because they require to pay a license. We can not allow the kids to take business away from the big operators and so we need regulations to keep the big business safe... This was an act of protest against it.

▄████████▄
               ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
              ██▀
             ███
▄▄▄▄▄       ███
██████     ███
    ▀██▄  ▄██
     ▀██▄▄██▀
       ████▀
        ▀█▀
The Radix DeFi Protocol is
R A D I X

███████████████████████████████████

The Decentralized

Finance Protocol
Scalable
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██                   ██
██                   ██
████████████████     ██
██            ██     ██
██            ██     ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄      ██     ██
██▀▀▀▀██      ██     ██
██    ██      ██     
██    ██      ██
███████████████████████

███
Secure
      ▄▄▄▄▄
    █████████
   ██▀     ▀██
  ███       ███

▄▄███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██    ███████████

███
Community Driven
      ▄█   ▄▄
      ██ ██████▄▄
      ▀▀▄█▀   ▀▀██▄
     ▄▄ ██       ▀███▄▄██
    ██ ██▀          ▀▀██▀
    ██ ██▄            ██
   ██ ██████▄▄       ██▀
  ▄██       ▀██▄     ██
  ██▀         ▀███▄▄██▀
 ▄██             ▀▀▀▀
 ██▀
▄██
▄▄
██
███▄
▀███▄
 ▀███▄
  ▀████
    ████
     ████▄
      ▀███▄
       ▀███▄
        ▀████
          ███
           ██
           ▀▀

███
Radix is using our significant technology
innovations to be the first layer 1 protocol
specifically built to serve the rapidly growing DeFi.
Radix is the future of DeFi
█████████████████████████████████████

▄▄█████
  ▄████▀▀▀
  █████
█████████▀
▀▀█████▀▀
  ████
  ████
  ████

Facebook

███

▄▄
       ▄▄▄█████
  ▄▄▄███▀▀▄███
▀▀███▀ ▄██████
    █ ███████
     ██▀▀▀███
           ▀▀

Telegram

███

▄      ▄███▄▄
██▄▄▄ ██████▀
████████████
 ██████████▀
   ███████▀
 ▄█████▀▀

Twitter

██████

...Get Tokens...
FlipPro
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 05:13:08 AM

In my state as well. I actually think it's completely illegal here to sell food/beverages out of your house. It needs to be a business facility with all permits/sanitary inspections made.
trentzb

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 05:36:22 AM

In my state as well. I actually think it's completely illegal here to sell food/beverages out of your house. It needs to be a business facility with all permits/sanitary inspections made.

Interesting, I was not aware of that. Do you know what section of municipal/state code that appears? Business/Corporate code or Health/Safety? I am interested in digging into this more.
helloworld

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 05:40:32 AM

I think a new version of this song/animation is needed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

...one where the authorities come in and shut him down for having no license.
Hawker
Legendary

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 06:40:38 AM

The police is shutting down a lot of kid stands that try to sell lemonade to earn a few dollars during summer (like they use to do) because they require to pay a license. We can not allow the kids to take business away from the big operators and so we need regulations to keep the big business safe... This was an act of protest against it.

If you allow the kids to set up vending stand on someone else's property, then you have to allow the big business to do so as well.

Is that really your utopia?  One where people or corporations can come along, use your property against your wishes, the police do nothing and and you end up resorting to violence?
helloworld

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 07:14:35 AM

If you allow the kids to set up vending stand on someone else's property, then you have to allow the big business to do so as well.

Is that really your utopia?  One where people or corporations can come along, use your property against your wishes, the police do nothing and and you end up resorting to violence?

Holy shit man are you even reading this thread? hugolp said absolutely nothing of using other people's property.
hugolp (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1148

Radix-The Decentralized Finance Protocol

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 07:58:33 AM

Holy shit man are you even reading this thread? hugolp said absolutely nothing of using other people's property.

He is a known troll. Not even worth answering. Just ignore him.

▄████████▄
               ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
              ██▀
             ███
▄▄▄▄▄       ███
██████     ███
    ▀██▄  ▄██
     ▀██▄▄██▀
       ████▀
        ▀█▀
The Radix DeFi Protocol is
R A D I X

███████████████████████████████████

The Decentralized

Finance Protocol
Scalable
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██                   ██
██                   ██
████████████████     ██
██            ██     ██
██            ██     ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄      ██     ██
██▀▀▀▀██      ██     ██
██    ██      ██     
██    ██      ██
███████████████████████

███
Secure
      ▄▄▄▄▄
    █████████
   ██▀     ▀██
  ███       ███

▄▄███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██    ███████████

███
Community Driven
      ▄█   ▄▄
      ██ ██████▄▄
      ▀▀▄█▀   ▀▀██▄
     ▄▄ ██       ▀███▄▄██
    ██ ██▀          ▀▀██▀
    ██ ██▄            ██
   ██ ██████▄▄       ██▀
  ▄██       ▀██▄     ██
  ██▀         ▀███▄▄██▀
 ▄██             ▀▀▀▀
 ██▀
▄██
▄▄
██
███▄
▀███▄
 ▀███▄
  ▀████
    ████
     ████▄
      ▀███▄
       ▀███▄
        ▀████
          ███
           ██
           ▀▀

███
Radix is using our significant technology
innovations to be the first layer 1 protocol
specifically built to serve the rapidly growing DeFi.
Radix is the future of DeFi
█████████████████████████████████████

▄▄█████
  ▄████▀▀▀
  █████
█████████▀
▀▀█████▀▀
  ████
  ████
  ████

Facebook

███

▄▄
       ▄▄▄█████
  ▄▄▄███▀▀▄███
▀▀███▀ ▄██████
    █ ███████
     ██▀▀▀███
           ▀▀

Telegram

███

▄      ▄███▄▄
██▄▄▄ ██████▀
████████████
 ██████████▀
   ███████▀
 ▄█████▀▀

Twitter

██████

...Get Tokens...
Hawker
Legendary

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 09:13:04 AM

Watch the video.  They are using other people's property.
helloworld

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 10:03:32 AM

Watch the video.  They are using other people's property.

No shit, it still doesn't change hugolp's post... however I'll take his advice and ignore you from now on.
Hawker
Legendary

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 10:36:58 AM

Its funny how when people are wrong about something, the answer is "Troll; I'll ignore you."
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: