Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 07:51:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone "all in" on bitcoin?  (Read 4733 times)
jasonjm

Activity: 1260
Merit: 524

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2013, 06:11:38 AM

Sold all mine at $750, waiting for it to go back to $600s
Prepare for disappointment.

you serious? that is a ridiculous statement.

if you truly believe that, lets set up a bet on one of the bitcoin betting sites, ill take the other side for as many $ as you want.

█████████████████████
█████████████████████████
█████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████████
██████▀███████████▀██████
█████▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀█████
████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████
█████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████
██████▄███████████▄██████
█████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████████
█████████████████████

CRYPTO WEBNEOBANK    
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄██████░░░░░░░░░░███▄
▄████▄▄███████▄▄░░░██▄
▄█████████████████░░░██▄
████░░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░██
████░░██████████░░░░░░░██
████░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░██
▀█████████████████░░░██▀
▀████▀▀███████▀▀░░░██▀
▀██████░░░░░░░░░░███▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
bitcoinguru42

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 06:13:33 AM

How will I be disappointed? It's not like there is looming global stock market crash in our future or anything. It's not like all of central and south America now has access to bitcoin. It's not like there is a debt crisis in the USA. It's not like the Fed is still printing $85 Billion a month.

oh shit.

unless you bought in for less than 750 I assume.  But its not only physical events that cause price changes so he may be right but its highly unlikely
TERA

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 06:18:39 AM

I retook a 75% position at various points in the 600s. Not sure how much longer I'm gonna hodl.
bassclef

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 06:48:54 AM

I'm partially in, having invested a percentage of my savings, some credit cards, and subsequent extra monthly income. When I first read about Bitcoin in April, I was immediately hooked and was glued to my computer for a week learning about it. I had to get invested somehow. My method of acquiring coins, however, is a bit of a roundabout story...

Back in May, I bought thousands of dollars worth of ASIC equipment in bitcoins, thinking it would be a brilliant idea to build miners based on an unfinished open-source project with chips that didn't exist yet. It was risky. At that time Bitcoin had just crashed from an ATH of $266 to $60. It then stabilized around $80-$130, which is when I bought most of my coins to pay for the hardware. Back then, GPU mining was still profitable and ASICS were just arriving on the scene. If we could get the chips and finish the board design on time, we would be second only to Avalon in having working ASIC miners. Those of us with big mining plans were praying for a BTC valuation of $100-$200 toward the end of the year, and certainly none of us would have predicted a valuation of over $500, much less $1000.

Long story short, the ASIC chips we were supposed to receive were sold out the back door, the Klondike board didn't get completed in time, difficulty soared far beyond predictions, and most of us ended up with chip refunds in bitcoins. Thank god for that. I personally lost a percentage of my initial investment and was pretty depressed about it for a few weeks, that is until the price run-up to $1200, where I watched my wallet grow to an amount of fiat I had never seen before.

While I regret my decision to get into mining, I don't regret the coins I bought in the process and I don't regret the excitement of being involved with such a game changing technology. If I hadn't, I'd have likely delayed buying so many bitcoins in May to meet deadlines and would have far fewer right now.
Wilhelm
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1265

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 07:58:12 AM

I went into bitcoin with 10-20% amount of my savings. Now it has become a 60% of my savings and hopefully it will become 10x my savings.

So having 80% in BTC is only impressive if you started today Tongue

Bitcoin is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get !!
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2013, 08:17:00 AM

I work in Afghanistan as a military contractor. I make a lot of money with no expenses (my house back home is being rented for the amount of the mortgage payment).

Every paycheck gets converted to bitcoins.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 08:31:43 AM

I work in Afghanistan as a military contractor. I make a lot of money with no expenses (my house back home is being rented for the amount of the mortgage payment).

You can run silkroad dealership right out of Afghanistan. Wonders of globalization + bitcoin Smiley

i am satoshi
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2013, 08:42:57 AM

You can run silkroad dealership right out of Afghanistan. Wonders of globalization + bitcoin Smiley

Not on a military base on a military network that monitors me more than the NSA monitors US citizens.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Blue Blood

Activity: 19

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 09:13:27 AM

I got in around October 2012, I spent about $5000 on mining hardware and about another $5000 since then. Around July of this year I started mining ALT's because the difficulty of BTC is becoming too high. With-in the past 2 months started trading the ALT's I have mined and feel like I'm doing pretty good. I'm holding almost 60 BTC.
Mining Bytecoin have been most profitable but the mature time is killing me (120 blocks)... I'm guessing this is why no one is mining it but its selling high and fast.
Think god for Poolwarz, before them there were not very many good ALT mining pools.

I've always been a reader, but recently I registered here because I want to start a forum/escrow service/ and maybe an all in one pool for all ATL coins.
This was before I noticed Poolwarz was created so the all in one pool ideal may not happen. I am a coder but Poolwarz is far better than what I had in mind.
I have thought about an exchange as well but I don't even know where to begin coding a site of that complexity by myself.

I have most of the coding on the forum done and about 70% of the escrow portion done. Although I have recently had another ideal on the escrow portion. I was thinking instead of an automated escrow, use people like your self to be part of a team that will be the middle man. Each team member will be bonded. If you are purchasing a product for 10 BTC the escrow team member will have a bond of 10 BTC held by the website. Doing it this way will allow people like your self make a percent of the escrow. Kinda like profit sharing. 1.5% for the escrow 1% to the team member and .5% to the website.

Anyway I have about $10000 invested and by 1/5/14 I will have 60 BTC. So I'm in the black by about $30000 as of today's exchange rates. I'm hoping BTC will be back up around $1000 soon and I figured I would cash out. Although I said the same thing before it was up around $1100 and never cashed out.. So I probably will stay in, but it is becoming harder to mine and I don't have as much time as I use to needed to focus on trading. My wife is bitching about the heat and noise created from the hardware and also me having my eye's glued to the screen 24/7.

My original goal was $100k then cash out but with difficulty too high, mining hardware too high and trading risk too high, I guess I really should cash out and buy my wife a fat ring to try and make up for the past year I have ignored her.

mb300sd
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

Drunk Posts

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2013, 10:02:08 AM

When I got in, bitcoin was worth nothing, probably around 1% of my $5k net worth at the time. Now my holdings are worth like 60x my house, which was paid for by bitcoins. And I'm not selling any more...the house was a huge loss compared to holding and paying a mortgage.

1D7FJWRzeKa4SLmTznd3JpeNU13L1ErEco
piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 10:22:15 AM

Not on a military base on a military network that monitors me more than the NSA monitors US citizens.

that would've been quite a headline though Wink

i am satoshi
superresistant
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1121

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 10:51:58 AM

I'm all in for cryptocurrency.

Putting money in a bank is against my principles.

If I cash out one day I will take cash, silver and gold.
TERA

Activity: 728

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 11:00:33 AM

Really, you have no money in a bank at all? How do you pay your bills. What if you need fiat money really fast? What if something catastrophic happens to the network and now you have absolutely nothing?
superresistant
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1121

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 11:06:35 AM

Really, you have no money in a bank at all? How do you pay your bills. What if you need fiat money really fast? What if something catastrophic happens to the network and now you have absolutely nothing?

I only keep what to pay my rent of course.
I have no interest in material things like house and cars. I can live on very few money.
I don't see why would I need a lot of FIAT.

I convert all my FIAT to cryptocurrency because I believe in the idea behind it. You cannot stop an idea.
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 11:07:25 AM

I only keep what to pay my rent of course.
I have no interest in material things like house and cars. I can live on very few money.
I don't see why would I need a lot of FIAT.

I convert all my FIAT to cryptocurrency because I believe in the idea behind it. You cannot stop an idea.

You can't kill an idea that's true. You sure as hell can slow it down though Wink
UnDerDoG81
Legendary

Activity: 2179
Merit: 1201

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 11:36:55 AM

Actually ~20% in but will go 50% when the price goes down Smiley
Boxman90

Activity: 518

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 01:27:06 PM

All of our savings (besides some of our 401K) is in BTC.  Have not sold any toys.  Not that we have any to sell anyways. Wink  

It did not start out that way.  We threw a little in thinking we would gradually put more in as time went on.  But with BTC we learned fairly quickly that the best strategy can be just to throw it all in as quickly as possible, especially if it can be timed before it hits an ATH.  Wink

Oh, and our savings was nothing really impressive to begin with.  However, even putting a small amount into BTC and holding there for over 8 months can give some amazing returns.

Next year should be fun!  Grin

Oh man I love people like you. Greed is strong in this one.

Let's just put everything on 31 black.
And then ofcourse repeat until all is lost.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcr6opqAFVU

LTC: LKKy4eDWyVtSrQAJy7Qmmz61RaFY91D9yC   BTC: 18fzdnCkuUNthCD8hM36UBGopFa9ij78gG
BobGriffin3

Activity: 23

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 02:01:19 PM

All of our savings (besides some of our 401K) is in BTC.  Have not sold any toys.  Not that we have any to sell anyways. Wink  

It did not start out that way.  We threw a little in thinking we would gradually put more in as time went on.  But with BTC we learned fairly quickly that the best strategy can be just to throw it all in as quickly as possible, especially if it can be timed before it hits an ATH.  Wink

Oh, and our savings was nothing really impressive to begin with.  However, even putting a small amount into BTC and holding there for over 8 months can give some amazing returns.

+1 this sounds really irresponsible for someone with house/spouse/kid? Diversity.
mskryxz (OP)

Activity: 433
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 03:19:45 PM

I think I am gonna put in one of my "toys"

This is a once in a life time technological event, even if it is do or die something like this is very rare.

In 2004, I had $10,000 saved up and I had 2 choices. Invest all in to google at $90 per share or buy a brand new motorcycle.

I ended up buying the Motorcycle for $9,600 or so after taxes and other fees. Had I bought Google, I'd have a nice 100k+.
Motorcycle now is worth less than $3,500.

So now I am presented with another ground breaking opportunity in technology. Sell one of my "toys" and throw in 10-20k in and wait and see?
Or, watch as my toy depreciates and becomes worth less than 7k in 5 years time as it sits there in my garage...
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 03:23:23 PM

+1 this sounds really irresponsible for someone with house/spouse/kid? Diversity.

Don't diversify. There's nothing in the world that can get close to the potential returns of Bitcoin. And no this isn't gambling, it's called calculated risk taking. People with balls do it Smiley
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: