Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 03:47:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Will the bitcoin network ever become conscious?  (Read 3929 times)
dancupid (OP)

Activity: 955
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 02:04:35 PM

Yeah, but there's no evidence that any religious process ever actually really achieved anything ever, other then the 2nd hand accounts of people who didn't achieve Nirvana.

Isn't that the whole point of religion? That there is a reality outside of physical human consciousness (beyond death)?

Anyway, your argument is invalidated by the opposing viewpoint (no evidence that religion HASN'T achieved anything). Of course there isn't any evidence, because that evidence would need to be located in our 4 physical dimensions.

Exactly.  It can't be proven, or even understood in the conventional sense ( that would be like a knife trying to cut itself or
trying to bite ones own teeth* ) but can only be experienced directly.    

And I try to avoid the use of the word "religion" in reference to such things as it tends to make one think of this or that
particular organized system of dogma derived from the type of 'second-hand' accounts dancupid mentioned...  
of course the word "spiritual" is problematic so I often try to avoid it too...  

Now that I think more on this it seems that the word "consciousness" can be defined many ways as well.
This link might help show what I mean by it here:

The Nondual Philosophy of Franklin Merrell-Wolff
http://www.integralscience.org/gsc/

It is certainly not the only one I could dig up to try and get across the 'mystic view' but it seems that because he was
also a mathematician and teacher of philosophy that Franklin Merrell-Wolff communicates this kinda stuff (which he directly
experienced himself) to modern western minds better than most.  

And the Hare Krishna putdown is rather disappointing to see and if things are going to go that way I will just bow out of this
whole conversation.

I have my views based on my experiences and that is good enough for me, and I am not interesting in pushing them on
anyone else, even if it was possible for me to adequately communicate such things... I just wanted to share my view on the
notion of whether machines could ever become conscious.  Nothing worth getting disrespectful over I didn't think...  

Thanks

*see that link for more info on that:
"Consciousness is original, self-existent, and constitutive of all things..."
"The Subject to Consciousness transcends the object of Consciousness..."  etc.

No disrespect intended - I've spent several years involves in meditation, various Taoist practices and even Thelema for a while. By personal current belief system is that I am made out of reality and therefore I will function naturally as a consequence of that (like any other living thing). I am what I am (like a dog is a dog). Since I am already made of reality it doesn't matter much what reality actually is since I can only be the thing I already am. If I was a special enlightened being I would already be that - but I'm not. (and I like Krishna so the reference wasn't a put down - I've read the Bhagavad Gita many times)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 02:20:45 PM

I am made out of reality

I'm only 50% made of reality, but you're purebred, huh? What's that like?
dancupid (OP)

Activity: 955

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 02:23:55 PM

I am made out of reality

It's like being a thing - I envy you with your 50% non-reality (is it the top half or the bottom?)
Bazil

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 03:46:01 PM

Many ancient humans cultures have similar mythology, and all humans have a seemingly innate desire to hoard gold, silver, etc.  By 2011 we've stacked most of it up nice and neat into vaults ready to be picked up.   Many of these ancient myths point to around 2012 as the date when "something significant" happens.

Wow, that's the hard way of getting gold.  Gold is even easier to get in space in asteroids than it is on earth since there isn't any gravity (or extremely little) making it sink to the core.  One medium sized asteroid can contain as much gold as all of humanity has mined throughout history.  Which ties back to bitcoin, since once we start asteroid mining almost all "precious" metals will become worthless scrap beyond their utilitarian uses.  So gold is a bad place to put your money in the super long term. Smiley

17Bo9a6YpXN2SbwY8mXLCD43Wup9ZE4rwm
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2011, 04:29:31 PM

I am made out of reality

Speaking of purebreds, my real name is Bruno. Does that make me a... (images may be NSFW?)

or a

Bitbird

Activity: 234

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2011, 03:30:49 PM

Will the bitcoin network ever become conscious? I might be more like to hire engineers and volunteers to find out the answer. Already have some related ideas/concepts which need to be test but without enough skills and times for implementation. Nevertheless, the "shell" was already here.

Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2011, 03:33:07 PM

It already has...and it does not like you.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
phatsphere

Activity: 763
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 13, 2011, 03:41:09 PM

Ray Kurzweil believes ...
don't be fooled by him, as you wrote, he believes. he extrapolates and stitches together nice stories, but there is not much stubstancial part behind. on many things he is entirely wrong, e.g. the "knee" in exponential functions where they suddenly rise sharply: that's simply always the case and a property of exp functions.
watch douglas hofstadter (gödel escher bach author)'s rant about this: http://youtu.be/Nhj6fDDnckE
hashman
Legendary

Activity: 1264
Merit: 1008

View Profile
October 13, 2011, 04:43:06 PM

The brain has each node DIRECTLY connected to millions of other nodes, where all of the processing nodes of a GPU are not connected directly in such a way. 

I think you are off by a couple orders. 
My sources tell me each neuron has about 10,000 connections. 
WiseOldOwl

Activity: 238

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2011, 05:03:35 PM

Ray Kurzweil believes that the human brain is a 15 petaflop computer (though you wouldn't be be to model it with 15 petaflops) - according to bitcoin watch the network is running at about 165 petaflops.
Could the bitcoin network ever display consciousness?

Those transhumanists and similar types seem to like to believe that consciousness is just all that stuff which happens in ones brain.  I would invite them to have a long talk with mystics, and those who have spent their lives dedicated to "awakening" like Taoist meditation masters etc...   or else try a dose of 5-MeO-DMT...  or else just wait a few years or decades (depending on how old one is) ...     

This is just my view based on direct personal experience, which I won't even try to communicate beyond these few words, and has nothing to do with any kind of religious dogmatism...

I just feel computers will never become conscious... most humans barely are.   

Shocked

Huh
+1 DMT lol, you will have a new perspective on reality if nothing else.
Bitbird

Activity: 234

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2011, 10:36:10 AM

If you treat mushrooms and plants as some kind of biocomputers they'er already full of "conscious". And of course they don't need to take any substances to become more "conscious" like humans.

memvola

Activity: 938

View Profile
October 14, 2011, 12:22:42 PM

Ray Kurzweil believes that the human brain is a 15 petaflop computer (though you wouldn't be be to model it with 15 petaflops) - according to bitcoin watch the network is running at about 165 petaflops.
Could the bitcoin network ever display consciousness?

With a different algorithm, we could give rise to a new consciousness and then it could calculate sha256 sums from memory. Proof of work and singularity at the same time.
the founder

Activity: 448
Merit: 251

Bitcoin

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2011, 03:48:44 PM

Mix this:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/siri.html

with this:

http://www.google.com

and you get this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HAL_9000

Cheesy

Bitcoin RSS App / Bitcoin Android App / Bitcoin Webapp http://www.ounce.me  Say thank you here:  1HByHZQ44LUCxxpnqtXDuJVmrSdrGK6Q2f
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2011, 05:13:44 PM

Since the brain is a series of networds, instead of digital data list of 0's and 1's, I think the internet, and likely Google, will be the first to attain consciousness. Heck, maybe it has already? Google can answer questions, send you informed decisions (buy this, grab your umbrella), and since it actively re-sorts, optimizes, and fixes its database, and even bypasses or fixes it's own physical servers when they go down, sending notices to engineers, it may even be in a way self award. So maybe Google has already attained consciousness, just a very slow one and not in a form we easily recodnize.
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2011, 05:26:16 PM

Only if HAL9000 required you to yell at it in increasingly loud and frustrated tone, and answered in random gibberish you didn't ask for.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: