Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:35:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: CoinCard - Buying Amazon $ and gift cards with Bitcoin  (Read 36601 times)
Quantumboredom

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 05, 2011, 08:41:25 AM

I don't really think it's very important to spruce up the design of the sites. They are nice and simple, which is a good thing Smiley

I would however suggest you make it clear that there's an essentially "opposite" service available on each site. Maybe add something like a tab bar at the top of the sites where we can switch between CoinPal and CoinCard (or some other design that makes sense). Just so you're sure everyone realizes there are two similar-but-different services available.

Thanks for the excellent service Smiley
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
riush

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 05, 2011, 03:38:32 PM

I think being able to make paypal payments to other people would be a very big thing!
but i don't use paypal myself, so i don't know whats the established way merchants match incoming transactions - if its automated you most likely have to register your paypal email there?

being a web dev, i prefer simple/functional layouts myself, but i often experience 'novice' users being alienated by those 'little' things Wink

also, just out of curiosity, why did you make an extra site for this and not add it as features to the existing coinpal?

last but not least, i've got ~100 BTC through coinpal (using friend/family paypals) and everything went fine; thank you! Smiley

1MKKiJhUJgqKyfCLeo7bB1bvELNEM8wUbz
slush
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1097

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2011, 04:53:27 PM

but i often experience 'novice' users being alienated by those 'little' things Wink

Yes, and that's the point. First typical question of newcomer is "where I can buy/sell small amount of BTC for test?". So service like coinpal/coincard is very important in the first impression. Two people said me "Are you kidding, this?" when I pointed them to the coinpal Smiley.

As I wish to Bitcoin to be successfull and go to mainstream, I really care about those 'little things', because they SELL. But once again, mndrix is doing great job.

mndrix (OP)
Michael Hendricks
VIP

Activity: 447
Merit: 258

View Profile
March 07, 2011, 02:46:46 PM

I would however suggest you make it clear that there's an essentially "opposite" service available on each site. Maybe add something like a tab bar at the top of the sites where we can switch between CoinPal and CoinCard (or some other design that makes sense). Just so you're sure everyone realizes there are two similar-but-different services available.

Good idea.  I've added it to my list of issues.  The tabbed interface is a good suggestion for once the appearance is spruced up a bit.
mndrix (OP)
Michael Hendricks
VIP

View Profile
March 07, 2011, 02:51:18 PM

also, just out of curiosity, why did you make an extra site for this and not add it as features to the existing coinpal?

I wanted to see how much smaler CoinCard's code base would be compared to CoinPal since the former requires no fraud-prevention logic.  CoinCard is 1474 lines of Perl, CoinPal is 2234 lines.

I also wanted to create an artificial barrier between the two applications so that common Bitcoin logic could be factored out.  That's how Finance::MtGox was born.  I figured that would have added benefit to the community, in the long run.

last but not least, i've got ~100 BTC through coinpal (using friend/family paypals) and everything went fine; thank you! Smiley

You're welcome Smiley
mndrix (OP)
Michael Hendricks
VIP

View Profile
March 07, 2011, 03:07:05 PM

Yes, and that's the point. First typical question of newcomer is "where I can buy/sell small amount of BTC for test?". So service like coinpal/coincard is very important in the first impression. Two people said me "Are you kidding, this?" when I pointed them to the coinpal Smiley.

I agree with slush here.  One reason I started CoinPal was that I wanted an easy way for people to get started with Bitcoin.  If the appearance turns many away, the site isn't reaching its full potential.  Fortunately, plenty of us early adopters don't mind the appearance as much, so it lets the site start out slowly before adding polish to reach a wider audience.

Activity: 102

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2011, 03:15:24 PM

Amazon and New Egg might be possible.  

Any progress towards Amazon or New Egg GCs yet? I dont have an immediate need but could definitely see myself ordering them if they were available
Cusipzzz

Activity: 334
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 07, 2011, 03:24:57 PM

amazon would be excellent !
nster

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 07, 2011, 03:29:15 PM

oh god, Newegg Giftcards would be awesome... all computer geeks will buy that xD

167q1CHgVjzLCwQwQvJ3tRMUCrjfqvSznd Donations are welcome Smiley Please be kind if I helped
dacoinminster
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1031

Rational Exuberance

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2011, 04:19:41 PM

I've been checking prices every couple days waiting to see a price I like to sell some more bitcoins. It would be nice if I could send you bitcoins and tell you the price I want and have your software send me the money when the price hits that number.

I'm sure something similar for coinpal would be nice too, where users could send you money via paypal and a bitcoin price they want, and get sent the bitcoins when the price hits their target.

An easier option might be to buy/sell credit on MtGox, if you aren't looking to become a full market and compete with them.

error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 07, 2011, 04:33:48 PM

Funds are low again.  There haven't been many CoinPal orders to replenish PayPal funds, so I've transferred some additional funds from my bank.  They probably won't post until early next week.  (Fast transfers is one more reason I want Bitcoin to succeed).

I guess the funds aren't available yet? I see the following error:

Code:
Please correct the errors below and resubmit.
Insufficient funds in our accounts. Try again later

Perhaps, since this isn't an error that I can correct, this message could be reworded? Better yet, the form might simply be replaced with a generic temporarily unavailable message?

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8

Activity: 102

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2011, 04:39:14 PM

Funds are low again.  There haven't been many CoinPal orders to replenish PayPal funds, so I've transferred some additional funds from my bank.  They probably won't post until early next week.  (Fast transfers is one more reason I want Bitcoin to succeed).

Code:

Perhaps, since this isn't an error that I can correct, this message could be reworded? Better yet, the form might simply be replaced with a generic temporarily unavailable message?

Would it help if I went and used CoinPal? Cheesy
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2011, 08:43:55 PM

I just bought a Domino's card with coincard.  It worked perfectly!   Cool

mndrix (OP)
Michael Hendricks
VIP

View Profile
March 07, 2011, 09:53:35 PM

Code:

I'm guessing that the large funds deposit won't post until Tuesday or Wednesday

Thanks for the suggestions.  When you see this error, you can try placing a smaller order.  You can also wait an hour or two for some CoinPal orders to come in (which replenishes my balances) and then try again.

It's on my list to show my balances on the home page, but it's non-trivial to implement
dacoinminster
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1031

Rational Exuberance

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2011, 10:17:39 PM

It's on my list to show my balances on the home page, but it's non-trivial to implement

Showing your balances is also a good way to attract hackers to try to break in!

error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 08, 2011, 01:46:07 AM

Thanks for the suggestions.  When you see this error, you can try placing a smaller order.  You can also wait an hour or two for some CoinPal orders to come in (which replenishes my balances) and then try again.

I tried 1 USD. I'm not sure how much smaller I should try! Smiley Though it's working tonight.

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
mndrix (OP)
Michael Hendricks
VIP

View Profile
March 09, 2011, 06:16:28 PM

CoinCard was down for a couple hours while I upgraded the server.  It's back now
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2011, 06:48:52 PM

You can figure this out with trial and error anyway. It would just be a convenience for regular people. He doesn't need to show his entire assets, only what is currently available.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
nster

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 09, 2011, 09:00:01 PM

Oh btw, you can always ge a few more cents by using the USD instead of bitcoins.... just put you bitcoin amount, note down how much $$ that makes, and then try with the USD with 2~5 cents more... should give you back lower or the same bitcoin amount you put originally

167q1CHgVjzLCwQwQvJ3tRMUCrjfqvSznd Donations are welcome Smiley Please be kind if I helped
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 09, 2011, 11:26:57 PM

Yes, that's a concern.

Q.) Willie, wy do you rob banks"?
A.) "Cause that's where the money is."  - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willie_Sutton

And the list of the IP address for thousands of online micro-"banks" is public:
  http://maps.google.com/maps?q=https://smsz.net/btcStats/bitcoin.kml

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █