Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 08:31:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: FIXED: Lost Bitcoin when transfering to different wallet!  (Read 1739 times)
mik3 (OP)

Activity: 245
Merit: 104

View Profile
August 22, 2011, 11:14:38 PM
Last edit: August 30, 2013, 01:04:58 AM by mik3

Hi there i would really appreciate if any one could solve my problem or explain what has happened!

Yesterday (AUG/21/2011) i opened my main wallet in my usb drive and mounted to the bitcoin folder and opened and everything was perfect, blocks up to date. so i needed to take out 10coins from that wallet to my temp wallet so i used a valid key from the temp wallet that i previously used to deposit.
so as soon as i send the 10coins to the valid address i got the msg saying payment send! and -10 coin in transaction.
but when i mounted the temp wallet i didn't see the unconfirmed or anything regards to that transaction till now still nothing not even a gray notification NOTHING!

so i went and deleted the bitcoin folder and downloaded all the blocks again and mounted the wallet and still nothing. i used the wallet in different computer and nothing!

so i went back to my main wallet and in transaction it says the same -10 and 0 unconfirmed.

so i did another test using same valid address but for .50 coin and right away i saw the transaction in my temp wallet and after 1hour i got few confirmation.

NOW i need to know where the hell did that 10 coin went i copy and paste a valid address (checked it 50000times)

solution:
thx to PLATO

1. close the bitcoin from task.
2. run bitcoin from cmd (bitcoin.exe -rescan)

to avoid this problem dont close your wallet right away after transaction!!

Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
PLATO

Activity: 493
Merit: 250

Don't trust "BBOD The Best Futures Exchange"

View Profile
August 22, 2011, 11:16:43 PM

doesn't show up here:
http://blockexplorer.com/address/1AWfEBQmneu44YhpQszeVditvQ9GnzqmTx

put the first wallet file back. exit bitcoin. launch bitcoin.exe from the command line with the launch option -rescan

All posts by me after 2012 were a compromised account. Probably by "BBOD The Best Futures Exchange". SORRY Y'ALL
mik3 (OP)

View Profile
August 22, 2011, 11:55:17 PM

doesn't show up here:

put the first wallet file back. exit bitcoin. launch bitcoin.exe from the command line with the launch option -rescan

oka so you mean put the wallet that i sent the coin From?! or the wallet that i send the coin to!?

if that is the case i will try to see what happens i let you know

thx
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 12:35:29 AM

doesn't show up here:

oka so you mean put the wallet that i sent the coin From?! or the wallet that i send the coin to!?

if that is the case i will try to see what happens i let you know

thx
The wallet you sent the coins from
Actually you didn't sent them, for some reason the transaction hasn't been broadcasted (you closed the client too early or didn't give enough fee or whatever)

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
PLATO

Activity: 493
Merit: 250

Don't trust "BBOD The Best Futures Exchange"

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 12:35:46 AM

the wallet that you sent the coin from. it didn't actually go through, or it would be in the blockchain.

open a command line using start > run > cmd

type cd "C:\Program Files\Bitcoin" or wherever you installed it... you need the quotes if you have spaces anywhere in the file path
type bitcoin.exe -rescan

All posts by me after 2012 were a compromised account. Probably by "BBOD The Best Futures Exchange". SORRY Y'ALL
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 12:37:26 AM

You probably closed the wallet before it had time to properly broadcast the transaction.  I'd leave it open for a few minutes after hitting "Send" to be sure it really does get propagating through the nodes.
mik3 (OP)

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 02:00:20 AM

i did a rescan and its fixed i think when i closed it fast that's why! and the only solution that worked it was the rescan i did everything else re-downloaded the chain and nothing, only fixed with -rescan

i think this option should be integrated in the bitcoin program under help or something.

Smiley
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 04:40:07 PM

i did a rescan and its fixed i think when i closed it fast that's why! and the only solution that worked it was the rescan i did everything else re-downloaded the chain and nothing, only fixed with -rescan

i think this option should be integrated in the bitcoin program under help or something.

Smiley
Hah, that it should!  It'd be one step closer to making Bitcoin intuitive for even the newest of users.
Pieter Wuille
Legendary

Activity: 1072
Merit: 1174

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2011, 05:27:05 PM

It is very unlikely that -rescan helped - all recent versions of bitcoin do rescanning automatically when necessary.

My guess is that you switched to the second wallet before the transaction from the first wallet made its way into the block chain. When switching back, it resubmitted, and the second wallet got it.

I do Bitcoin stuff.
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 06:32:32 PM

It is very unlikely that -rescan helped - all recent versions of bitcoin do rescanning automatically when necessary.

My guess is that you switched to the second wallet before the transaction from the first wallet made its way into the block chain. When switching back, it resubmitted, and the second wallet got it.
How does the recent client determine when rescanning is necessary?
Pieter Wuille
Legendary

Activity: 1072
Merit: 1174

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2011, 06:40:47 PM

How does the recent client determine when rescanning is necessary?

It stores some hashes of blocks in the current tip of the block chain in the wallet file. On startup, the latest common ancestor of the block chain database and the wallet file is searched for, and a rescan starting at that point is performed.

I believe this was added in 0.3.21 or 0.3.22.

I do Bitcoin stuff.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: