Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 02:24:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Would you be interested in a "gen-wallet"?  (Read 3175 times)
TradeAnalyst

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 06:57:19 PM

Uniwallet ?

Omniwallet ?

Make it simple for the public

Mywallet simple for sure ....not technical

Or

Ewallet if you prefer something more tech

Richard
www.dogecoin.be

Un problème avec votre chien? A issue with you dog ? I can help you just pm me
BTC: 1P5fJeMTbgSHyrjx2gCaovVvDgrWeKFPz2

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MisterGuacamole (OP)

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 09:01:16 PM

Uniwallet is superb name. I don't like Omniwallet fwiw
Yeah these are just temporary names, but I think I'll go with Uniwallet.

I would like see a plugin based wallet made if its possible.  Something that would allow new plugins to created by other people to support future coins or electrum like networks that be developed for other coins in future. Plugins could co-exist or share the blockchain data with the official wallet for coin, and the main wallet app would show only the coins that user has added the plugins for.
I was going for something like that Wink It sure would be useful to implement wallets as plugins.

Uniwallet ?

Omniwallet ?

Make it simple for the public

Mywallet simple for sure ....not technical

Or

Ewallet if you prefer something more tech

Richard
www.dogecoin.be
Yeah Uniwallet would be representative of what the product is.
Sylook

Activity: 8

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 06:06:29 AM

Although I like the name ''Omniwallet'' (which will be called the ''Omni'', heh a few people might get the reference...) as a Marketing professional I would say that Richard is right and made a couple of great suggestions. I vote for E-Wallet.

empoweoqwj

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 06:21:28 AM

Although I like the name ''Omniwallet'' (which will be called the ''Omni'', heh a few people might get the reference...) as a Marketing professional I would say that Richard is right and made a couple of great suggestions. I vote for E-Wallet.

E-Wallet sounds too generic too me. Might even be in use and / or TM'd.

Anyway, you just need a working title for now. You can brainstorm the final name once the software is nearly ready.
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2013, 06:43:31 AM

We need a code name like KitKat

MisterGuacamole (OP)

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 05:59:25 PM

E-Wallet sounds too generic too me. Might even be in use and / or TM'd.

Anyway, you just need a working title for now. You can brainstorm the final name once the software is nearly ready.
Yeah for now it'll be Uniwallet I think. In my opinion E-wallet sounds too generic while Uniwallet describes simply what the product does.

------- IMPORTANT MESSAGE -------
Let's start a brainstorm on the biggest problem faced by the application: gestion of the subwallets, or "how will the application handle the transactions".

These are the options for now (subject to change with the community's input):
  • bitcoind, litecoind, etc. are downloaded directly on the computer. Disadvantages:
    • we need to support at least 3 versions of the [alt]coind software, one for each major OS
  • bitcoind, litecoind, etc. are on a remote server and we use the Raw Transactions API (https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Raw_Transactions). Disavantages:
    • users have no control over what software version they use, and if one version is infected, every user's transactions will pass by an infected software
    • if the server is down, then Uniwallet is down also
  • allow a system of plugins. Makers of the altcoins would have to build a plugin for Uniwallet for the users to download instead of downloading the whole Qt wallet. Disavantages:
    • defeats the purpose of Uniwallet a little bit
    • lots of code duplication and gestion for the devs

What do you think? If your input is important on other points of the software like the name, it's extremely important that you give me suggestions concerning this particular point!
Thank you, and keep rocking! Smiley

Activity: 144
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 08:00:49 PM
Last edit: December 30, 2013, 08:13:26 PM by 12648430

I think all those options sound good. We could support coins via a plugin API; we'd define a plugin that communicates with *coind's raw transactions API via RPC. A user who doesn't want the disadvantages of option 2 can switch to option 1 for one or more coins by running their own local *coinds.

Besides extensibility in supported coins (which is important since new coins can arise quickly), a plugin architecture allows for multiple backends for a particular coin, i.e. local bitcoind/SPV/electrum depending on the user's security/resource usage tradeoff.
MisterGuacamole (OP)

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 04:48:17 PM

I think all those options sound good. We could support coins via a plugin API; we'd define a plugin that communicates with *coind's raw transactions API via RPC. A user who doesn't want the disadvantages of option 2 can switch to option 1 for one or more coins by running their own local *coinds.

Besides extensibility in supported coins (which is important since new coins can arise quickly), a plugin architecture allows for multiple backends for a particular coin, i.e. local bitcoind/SPV/electrum depending on the user's security/resource usage tradeoff.

Yes, this is a great idea. Plugins would be made by me/us/Uniwallet devs at first, but preferably by the *coins distributors/creators after Uniwallet gains popularity. Making plugins should be simple enough that anybody with a little knowledge can do it.

I'll be back January 2,
Happy new year! Wink
tromp
Legendary

Activity: 978
Merit: 1087

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 04:59:46 PM

or you could call it after what people might use to hold multiple wallets... a purse.

Happy new year!

(also testing my ability to post in non-newbie forum)
empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 03:19:33 AM

or you could call it after what people might use to hold multiple wallets... a purse.

Happy new year!

(also testing my ability to post in non-newbie forum)

No offence, but sounds a bit "feminine" Wink I guess most bitcoin users are male and wouldnt' want to use a "purse" Smiley
bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2014, 04:56:36 AM

Purse is a great name like circle square etc

MisterGuacamole (OP)

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 05:41:45 AM

Watchers, the official thread is here! https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=396757.0
bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2014, 05:57:24 AM

Check this out https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=394311.new#new

empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 03:16:39 AM

Watchers, the official thread is here! https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=396757.0

Great - my only comment is that tremendous as I believe the idea is, the actual implementation is probably a lot of work. Apply to seedcoin or similar for some investment money?
bucktotal

Activity: 232
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 08:22:26 PM

how about something like "OneWallet" or "WalletOne"

?
empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 02:17:41 AM

OneWallet is good.
MisterGuacamole (OP)

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 02:06:52 PM

Great - my only comment is that tremendous as I believe the idea is, the actual implementation is probably a lot of work. Apply to seedcoin or similar for some investment money?

Good idea
empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 02:22:09 AM

Good idea

I might actually invest in SeedCoin if UniWallet was one of the start-ups supported Smiley
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: