Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 09:56:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: CoinTerra Engineering Update: Fabout and Bumpout Done. Sorting and Packaging Now  (Read 3189 times)
cointerra (OP)

Activity: 113
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2013, 08:08:13 PM

We are pleased to announce that the fabout and bumpout milestones have both been successfully completed for the initial GoldStrike™ I wafers, and that the next two steps – wafer sorting and packaging – are underway.

Full Engineering update and pictures here:
http://cointerra.com/engineering-update-goldstrike-fabout-bumpout-completed-sorting-packaging-underway/

http://cointerra.com/engineering-update-goldstrike-fabout-bumpout-completed-sorting-packaging-underway/

www.cointerra.com - Professional grade Bitcoin mining equipment.
If you have any questions for us, we're happy to help at info (at) cointerra (dot) com
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoinorama

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 08:11:31 PM

Congrats!

Make my day! Say thanks if you found me helpful Smiley BTC Address --->
1487ThaKjezGA6SiE8fvGcxbgJJu6XWtZp
bitblazing

Activity: 109

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 08:17:27 PM

This is fantastic news!!!! I love how open cointerra is. Something that can not be said for HASH FAST!!!
Powell

Activity: 486
Merit: 262

rm -rf stupidity

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 09:49:02 PM

Awesome!!!  Looking forward to even more updates.  Though maybe its a Texas thing we don't screw around!  Wink
bobsag3

Activity: 546

Owner, Minersource.net

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 10:31:32 PM

We are pleased to announce that the fabout and bumpout milestones have both been successfully completed for the initial GoldStrike™ I wafers, and that the next two steps – wafer sorting and packaging – are underway.

Full Engineering update and pictures here:

Props on the achievement- you guys also have a fantastic photographer
Kenshin

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 10:33:03 PM

Well done.  Smiley
RoadStress
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 10:48:45 PM

Someone estimate how long until chips are available for testing?

aerobatic

Activity: 702

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 11:06:55 PM

perhaps a week
Mabsark
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1004

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 11:27:25 PM

It took KnC 13 days before they got samples back and it took HashFast 23 days. So 2-4 weeks probably.
darcimer

Activity: 66

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 01:00:26 AM

I read that packaging has nothing to do with shipping, it's another chip manufacturing step, so is this still good news regarding possible delays? AFAIK, it's the only big news lately.
minternj

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 01:34:00 AM

Correct,  packaging refers to the IC packaging.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integrated_circuit_packaging

Warning about Nitrogensports.eu
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=709114.0
testerx

Activity: 608

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 05:26:20 AM

So I'm guessing the earliest working units will be around mid-January at this point.  Guess we're hanging in there!
aerobatic

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 06:11:06 AM

It took KnC 13 days before they got samples back and it took HashFast 23 days. So 2-4 weeks probably.

the hashfast problems with their substrates has been well reported... but what info do you have on knc?  i thought their process was much faster... and that they went smoothly and quickly through all the processes of production.  13 days sounds much too long for knc..!

i still reckon we've a chance to see working silicon demonstrated within a week - early jan.
Cheshyr

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 08:21:43 AM

I'm just looking for the option to purchase bare chips, so the DIY community has something reliable to work with for a change. Nice to see progress though.
aerobatic

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 08:25:43 AM

I'm just looking for the option to purchase bare chips, so the DIY community has something reliable to work with for a change. Nice to see progress though.

if you bought bare chips would you have the know how and confidence to make them work?  these aren't as simple as avalon or bitfury chips...

-- Jez
Cheshyr

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 09:27:22 AM

if you bought bare chips would you have the know how and confidence to make them work?  these aren't as simple as avalon or bitfury chips...

-- Jez
It would depend on their documentation, but my day job is embedded system design for custom instrumentation, so yeah... I'm fairly confident I could make them work. I hadn't seen any indication they were considering chip sales though... Only complete systems.  There are a glut of chips coming out, but the transparency I've seen here makes me more confident in their product than many of the others.
aerobatic

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 09:42:23 AM
Last edit: December 29, 2013, 09:55:06 AM by aerobatic

if you bought bare chips would you have the know how and confidence to make them work?  these aren't as simple as avalon or bitfury chips...

-- Jez
It would depend on their documentation, but my day job is embedded system design for custom instrumentation, so yeah... I'm fairly confident I could make them work. I hadn't seen any indication they were considering chip sales though... Only complete systems.  There are a glut of chips coming out, but the transparency I've seen here makes me more confident in their product than many of the others.

when they first launched their web site I'm pretty sure they were offering both systems and bulk quantities of chips on the site, but they seem to have stopped offering bulk chips  - presumably due to lack of demand.

since it was their original intention (and it must be easier for them to sell chips instead of boxes) i suspect if you contact them directly they'd still consider selling the bulk chips..   however the support burden is quite high as they have to have pretty solid documentation and tech support to support the sale of chips.. and I'm pretty sure all their tech staff are super busy right now getting their systems ready to ship (they just showed their wafers are back so the next step (after packaging) is the board bring up, which hopefully happens in the coming week)

you sound like you have the right background to know what to do with the chips...  (they will require significant power and cooling compared to common or garden mining chips).  well, you can see from the photos what they did on their system... and its heavy duty stuff..!

my own personal opinion here.. but i think the electronics knowledge and skill required to wire up the avalon or bitfury chips (and any sub 100 GH chip) is at the hobbyist and tinkerer level.. whereas what knc, hashfast and even more so, what cointerra is doing is at the extremes of high performance computing.. and requires high end boards with high currents and serious cooling etc (as Sam from KnC always says 'Power IN, and Heat OUT' are the biggest challenges)...  this is wayy beyond what most of the amateur electronics people are doing in bitcoin mining with the low end chips.   that said, hopefully cointerra will make their board and system designs available as reference designs and allow other system designers to utilise them (either publicly on github or privately via nda)

-- Jez
Cheshyr

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 10:02:48 AM

The 4-chip system with liquid cooling is a nice touch. I guess it would be an advanced hobbiest level. And I thought I remembered direct chip sales on their site, but it was gone now, so I wasn't certain. At this point, it's probably in their best interest to keep things internal and focus on delivering this batch. If they're reading this thread though... There is an interest in DIY chip sales. It's a bit awkward and haphazard at the moment, usually taking the form of group buys and/or redistributors, but it's there. We just need to find a way to make it both accessible for us, as well as profitable and safe for them.

Either way, nice work guys and gals. Thanks for the update.
Bitcoinorama

Activity: 532

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 03:32:21 PM

the hashfast problems with their substrates has been well reported... but what info do you have on knc?  i thought their process was much faster... and that they went smoothly and quickly through all the processes of production.  13 days sounds much too long for knc..!

i still reckon we've a chance to see working silicon demonstrated within a week - early jan.

I think he means the packaging time from silicon complete at fab, across countries, packaged, more countries to chips in hand in Stockholm, which I believe was 10, or 11 days.

Make my day! Say thanks if you found me helpful Smiley BTC Address --->
1487ThaKjezGA6SiE8fvGcxbgJJu6XWtZp
Xian01
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067

Christian Antkow

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 03:44:55 PM

Looking into these units. Curious about the March pricing being the same as April pricing, as one would expect April pricing to be cheaper.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: