Bitcoin Forum
May 18, 2024, 03:28:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [2013-12-28] New York Times (Paul Krugman's blog) : Bitcoin is Evil  (Read 6297 times)
Peter R (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 08:29:11 PM
Last edit: December 28, 2013, 08:40:45 PM by Peter R

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/12/28/bitcoin-is-evil/?smid=tw-NytimesKrugman&seid=auto&_r=1&

More of his usual "I can't figure out what backs bitcoin."  

Now after reading it, I am disappointed because he didn't really explain why he thought it was "evil."  He just made one reference to bitcoin being a tool to escape central banking and limit the government's ability to monitor its citizens' financial transactions and collect taxes.  He then said he "doesn’t like that agenda" but didn't really explain how such an agenda was "evil."

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
Minor Miner
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1012

Be A Digital Miner

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 08:39:30 PM

yes, I am glad I live my life by what Krugman predicts.    His prediction that the impact of the internet to the global economy would be less than the fax machine was brilliant.

cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4032
Merit: 1301

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 08:43:29 PM

Doubt the NYT will show this comment:
Someone who can't even get "BitCoin" correct as "Bitcoin" or "bitcoin" (see the wiki) wants to be believed about all the other stuff?  Paul, you don't just miss the little stuff, you are missing the big picture.  The bitcoin blockchain answers a large theoretical question in Computer Science, provides nearly instant, nearly frictionless transfer around the world.  Hint: Bitcoin could have much more impact on commerce than the fax machine (and internet, lol) did.

Since Krugman thinks the second to last paragraph in his column is a good way to encourage polite discussion, I suspect that Krugman likes Keynesian economics because it pushes his big government, central bank, inflation loving, control-freak fetish which pleases his masters in government.  
cr1776
Legendary

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 08:49:52 PM

Regarding why he thought it was evil, I think this part was what the title referred to:

BitCoin looks like it was designed as a weapon intended to damage central banking and money issuing banks, with a Libertarian political agenda in mind—to damage states ability to collect tax and monitor their citizens financial transactions.

Krugman is an authoritarian statist at heart who wants to "monitor" citizens financial transactions and thinks that is a good thing!  When the state has the power to monitor, it means control and that is their goal.

I find it very telling that the article quotes that part saying that Bitcoin is "intended to damage central banking and money issuing banks".  If he and his masters were not worried about the potential, he would not be obsessing about Bitcoin (or BitCoin as he says - he probably calls the Federal Reserve the "FED" too) repeatedly over the last year.

Krugman et al know that their games that they play with paper money are being exposed by technology and don't like it because it ruins their plans to monitor and control the rest of us.

justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 08:57:01 PM

The "agenda" which Krugman and Stross don't like is the hoi polloi are tired of having their purchasing power stolen by central planners and are starting to realize they don't have to put up with it any more.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 08:59:50 PM

Kk thx for the info bai.

NixZiZ

Activity: 64
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 09:04:00 PM

Well...

I propose that the writer is in bed with the fed right now.  Wink
solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 09:04:15 PM

A glorious antidote to the bile from Krug-I-am-an-idiot-Man.

http://www.krugmaniswrong.com/

Hopefully there will be a rebuttal of the latest idiocy.

justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 09:33:23 PM

A glorious antidote to the bile from Krug-I-am-an-idiot-Man.

http://www.krugmaniswrong.com/

Hopefully there will be a rebuttal of the latest idiocy.
I have it on good authority that Stefan Molyneux will be taking on Krugman and Stross in a combined rebuttal.
Arvicco

Activity: 574
Merit: 501

Please bear with me

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2013, 10:14:33 PM

Now, "Conscientious Liberal" Paul Krugman is really pissed off...  Roll Eyes

undeadbitcoiner

Activity: 896
Merit: 272

Undeadbitcoiner Will not DIE until 1BTC=50K

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2013, 10:32:47 PM

BitCoin looks like it was designed as a weapon intended to damage central banking and money issuing banks, with a Libertarian political agenda in mind—to damage states ability to collect tax and monitor their citizens financial transactions.

I think its his Lack of Education and Information about Bitcoin you need to start from the point in time or space at which something starts.

Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 11:00:28 PM

Isn't this the fellow who praises the welfare state?  It should come as no surprise that a villain would paint a vehicle of good as evil; of course bitcoin would be harmful to men such as he.

BitDreams

Activity: 503
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 11:37:45 PM

SWEET! The N.Y.TIMES allows one to actually TWEET comments INSTEAD of the article!!!

Skip the article, tl/dr, go to comments, locate Jim H from Waco, read it, and Tweet the comment NOT the article.  Cool
cr1776
Legendary

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 12:25:05 AM

Bitcoin is a tool for freedom. The ones who oppose it have their motivations clearly displayed. 
black_swan

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 12:42:32 AM

I mean, what's the point on writing a meaningless (yes it's meaningless, no explanations given on most part) title Bitcoin is Evil?
He probably doesn't even know that a blockchain exists and that's what "backs" bitcoin.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 01:26:53 AM
Last edit: December 29, 2013, 03:39:49 AM by marcus_of_augustus

Hit piece by the paid mouthpiece ... the tools of his tyranny are becoming ever so transparent.

noble prize, not.

Krugman is Evil

"Do no Evil" - Google

EvilPanda

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

Small Red and Bad

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 01:38:34 AM

Now after reading it, I am disappointed because he didn't really explain why he thought it was "evil."  He just made one reference to bitcoin being a tool to escape central banking and limit the government's ability to monitor its citizens' financial transactions and collect taxes.  He then said he "doesn’t like that agenda" but didn't really explain how such an agenda was "evil."
That's exactly why BTC is important, good and supported by the people. If there's anything evil in this world it's the banking system. Govermental control is good? How can he even look in the mirror after talking such bullshit.

oakpacific

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 01:56:21 AM

I am extremely pleased to read such articles by Krugman, being a Nobel laureate, he deigned to come up with so many posts about Bitcoin only shows how panic he is with it. I know you are shaking in your boots Paul, you sense that something inevitable is coming and you are desperate.

https://tlsnotary.org/ Fraud proofing decentralized fiat-Bitcoin trading.
bitbouillion

Activity: 868
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 02:44:20 AM

Essentially Krugman says, any kind of money, which is not government money, is evil.

Peter R (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 03:15:26 AM
Last edit: December 29, 2013, 04:00:24 AM by Peter R

I am extremely pleased to read such articles by Krugman, being a Nobel laureate, he deigned to come up with so many posts about Bitcoin only shows how panic he is with it. I know you are shaking in your boots Paul, you sense that something inevitable is coming and you are desperate.

When I read that article, I could not believe that words and quotes like that would ever be written by a Nobel laureate.  It almost seems that he is feeling genuinely threatened, which actually blows my mind.  We have two other threads analyzing his post in more detail:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=389565.0

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=389545.0

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: