Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 01:24:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Your thoughts on when BTC will reach $1000 again?  (Read 10338 times)
T.Stuart

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

One Token to Move Anything Anywhere

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 09:10:29 PM

My quote was essentially this.  Give it three years.  Bitcoin will be $10 or $5,000+ a coin.

Three years is much too slow for Bitcoin!   Smiley

███████████████▄▄▄                     ▄█▄     ▀█████▄                     ▄█████▀
████████████████████▄                ▄█████▄     ▀█████▄                 ▄█████▀
              ▀▀█████▄             ▄█████████▄     ▀█████▄             ▄█████▀
                 █████▌          ▄█████▀ ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄         ▄█████▀
                 ▐█████        ▄█████▀     ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄     ▄█████▀
                 █████▌      ▄█████▀         ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄ ▄█████▀
              ▄▄█████▀     ▄█████▀     ▄█▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█████████▀
████████████████████▀    ▄█████▀     ▄█████▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█████▀
███████████████▀▀▀     ▄█████▀     ▄█████████▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█▀
                                    ▀███████▀
                                      ▀███▀
                                        ▀
▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
.◆ ◆ ◆ ONE TOKEN TO MOVE ANYTHING ANYWHERE ◆ ◆ ◆.
▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
segeln

Activity: 602

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 09:24:08 PM

@T.Stuart
I have to agree again ! Cool Cool
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 03:04:45 AM

I want to hear your thoughts on when btc will reach 1000 bucks again, feel free to share.

Here is a chart I made on December 17th. Before BTC fell below 500 the following day.

According to my observations it could be anywhere between mid January and June 2014.  Unless we hit another bull market, then it could take only a couple days. If that happens we maybe headed back to the moon.  Wink

Seems like a reasonable chart. But a chart that says we will hit $1000 again between January and June doesn't really tell me I couldn't guess anyway Wink
skivrmt

Activity: 994
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 03:45:14 AM

I want to hear your thoughts on when btc will reach 1000 bucks again, feel free to share.

Here is a chart I made on December 17th. Before BTC fell below 500 the following day.

According to my observations it could be anywhere between mid January and June 2014.  Unless we hit another bull market, then it could take only a couple days. If that happens we maybe headed back to the moon.  Wink

Seems like a reasonable chart. But a chart that says we will hit $1000 again between January and June doesn't really tell me I couldn't guess anyway Wink

How did you come to your conclusions for the chart? Is it based on resistance and support levels or basically just random "angles" for the lines?
MrPalmer

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 03:54:24 AM

I have a feeling we'll see this $750 range for a while - a few months - and a strong $1000+ before next summer.  That'll grow as more retailers come on board, until finally it pops and either bottoms out, or explodes to the 40k+ we're all hoping for!

matt608

Activity: 882
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 09:54:27 AM

I'm surprised by the bearishness here.  I have 80% confidence that by half way through 2014 bitcoin will be over $1500 and lets call it 65% confidence it will be over $2000 half way through the year, and 30% confidence it will be over $3000 at half way.  By the end of 2014 I expect the price to be between $5000-$10000.
flynn

Activity: 728
Merit: 540

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 10:27:54 AM

Someone posted this link earlier

Best analysis to me so far.

intentionally left blank
Dr Bloggood

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 01:11:26 PM

Question to anyone: What would be the most accurate way to judge BTC volume?

There's a lot of different sites out there to see the volumes on each exchange.  I like and use : http://bitcoincharts.com/markets/  It's fairly simple but does a nice job showing most of the major exchanges in the world.

Shows the 30 day avg price volume etc and also the 24 hour price avg volume etc.  You can see, for example, Stamps 30day vol is 956k, or basically avg of 31k per day for the last 30 days.  Last 24 hour is only 8.8k.

Awesome, thanks a bunch!
Dr Bloggood

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 01:12:43 PM

My quote was essentially this.  Give it three years.  Bitcoin will be $10 or $5,000+ a coin.

Yes, three years is much to slow for BTC.

This will probably happen in 6-12 months.
T.Stuart

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 01:17:21 PM

There's a lot of different sites out there to see the volumes on each exchange.  I like and use : http://bitcoincharts.com/markets/  It's fairly simple but does a nice job showing most of the major exchanges in the world.

Shows the 30 day avg price volume etc and also the 24 hour price avg volume etc.  You can see, for example, Stamps 30day vol is 956k, or basically avg of 31k per day for the last 30 days.  Last 24 hour is only 8.8k.

Remember to look at volumes before the bubble though, and then during the previous bubble and before that also, to give an idea of changes as time goes by and prices change etc.

███████████████▄▄▄                     ▄█▄     ▀█████▄                     ▄█████▀
████████████████████▄                ▄█████▄     ▀█████▄                 ▄█████▀
                                    ▀███████▀
                                      ▀███▀
                                        ▀
▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁
Dr Bloggood

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 01:51:20 PM

Remember to look at volumes before the bubble though, and then during the previous bubble and before that also, to give an idea of changes as time goes by and prices change etc.

Yeah, that's a great idea!

Although I have to disagree with you for the first time here, as this was not a bubble, because the price was moving clearly for fundamental reasons.
skivrmt

Activity: 994
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 02:07:30 PM

Yeah, that's a great idea!

Although I have to disagree with you for the first time here, as this was not a bubble, because the price was moving clearly for fundamental reasons.

Both posts bring up good points.  What is considered a "bubble" and how were volumes effected by the bubbles?  Bubble is a very non-technical term overused mainly for the stock market.  We heard it for the tech bubble in 01, the real estate bubble in 08.  Many consider the current stock market a bubble.  And was the bitcoin jump to $1200+ a bubble?  China was jumping on board and XBT was getting a lot of mainstream press so there was somewhat of a fundamental reason for the price increase.  But more on emotion and new investors also.  If China didn't shutdown (or basically shutdown), would the "bubble" really have been a bubble?
Wilhelm
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1265

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 04:02:06 PM

A "bubble" imo is a positive price movement when there is nothing to back it up anymore.
You can get into a cascading effect where the price is driven sky-high because people are investing in it because the prices are going sky-high turning the whole thing into a self-fulfilling prophecy.
Only when a person or a group, which have a big enough share, figure out that the price is utter bullshit and pull out (or no new investors want in) does the "bubble" "pop". Due to the fact that the price plummets and everyone already knew that the price was bullshit, will everyone start making a run for the exit driving the price into a crash.

With bitcoin it is hard to tell if we are in a "bubble". The price is based on a tekst string and has no usable value, this is equal to fiat where the paper itself has no real value. Is the euro a bubble, is the dollar a bubble? these questions are equally hard to answer. If fiat can survive bitcoin most certainly will survive since nobody controls it. Some virtual coins will therefore become strong like euro's or dollars in fiat-land and others will become virtual Zimbabwian dollars which are completely worthless.

It's all about trust and acceptance and only time will tell which will survive. As we know from historic events like VHS vs Betamax we know that it is not always the best that wins.

Are we in a bubble? Nobody knows. Does it feel like a bubble? Not to me but who am I.

Bitcoin is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get !!
Dr Bloggood

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 05:06:34 PM

A "bubble" imo is a positive price movement when there is nothing to back it up anymore.
You can get into a cascading effect where the price is driven sky-high because people are investing in it because the prices are going sky-high turning the whole thing into a self-fulfilling prophecy.
Only when a person or a group, which have a big enough share, figure out that the price is utter bullshit and pull out (or no new investors want in) does the "bubble" "pop". Due to the fact that the price plummets and everyone already knew that the price was bullshit, will everyone start making a run for the exit driving the price into a crash.

With bitcoin it is hard to tell if we are in a "bubble". The price is based on a tekst string and has no usable value, this is equal to fiat where the paper itself has no real value. Is the euro a bubble, is the dollar a bubble? these questions are equally hard to answer. If fiat can survive bitcoin most certainly will survive since nobody controls it. Some virtual coins will therefore become strong like euro's or dollars in fiat-land and others will become virtual Zimbabwian dollars which are completely worthless.

It's all about trust and acceptance and only time will tell which will survive. As we know from historic events like VHS vs Betamax we know that it is not always the best that wins.

Are we in a bubble? Nobody knows. Does it feel like a bubble? Not to me but who am I.

You described the mechanics of a bubble very well there. In short, a bubble is when price is totally detached from real value (to the upside).

But BTCs latest movements on the upside and the downside were driven by positive/negative news, changing the game in a fundamental way. eg: China is out to a large degree = BTC is worth less now.

But there have been long threads made about that bubble discussion before. It just became totally aparent to me after that crash (I suppose we won't go much lower than the lows we have already seen, otherwise I might have to reconsider) that it hadn't been a bubble at all.

Most people on this forum (not you) think bubble means "extremely fast and high rising price", which is just stupid. Most people on here know about BTCs technical side, but seem to have absolutely no feeling for trading and economics.
T.Stuart

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 05:25:56 PM

Not to me either, although in my opinion it is OK to refer to the rise to $1,200 in November, the rise to $270 in April, etc. as bubbles.

▀███████▀
                                      ▀███▀
                                        ▀
T.Stuart

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 05:30:41 PM

It just became totally aparent to me after that crash (I suppose we won't go much lower than the lows we have already seen, otherwise I might have to reconsider) that it hadn't been a bubble at all.

It depends how short-term you are talking. According to your view I don't think you can say that April was a bubble either. In fact I agree with you that Bitcoin has never been in a bubble - look at the log scale.

But in the short-term it is a valid description, basically applying to panic buying.

Also the first fall came before China bad news. And in my opinion (although it is just speculation) the double top was forming strong regardless. But perhaps we would have just kept going significantly higher.

▀███████▀
                                      ▀███▀
                                        ▀
btcprice

Activity: 434

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 11:51:35 PM

It looks like we are in a gentle upward climb from the low point. Frankly, I prefer this to the wildly climbing prices we've had in the past that were unsustainable. According to my projection chart below we should hit $1000 on Mt. Gox on January 13th. This of course is barring any unforeseen news.

BitchicksHusband

Activity: 378
Merit: 255

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 12:32:27 AM

I expect it to go faster once the new year starts.

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
Lloydie

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 01:12:09 AM

A bubble is something which crashes in price subsequently. If Btc goes up in price due to more widespread adoption then it is not a bubble.  If btcs fall in value due to regulations or protocol problems then it is a bubble.

Personally, I don't think it is a bubble because Btc has not even penetrated 1% of the human population. Also, it's proven pretty difficult to kill the Btc protocol and the blockchain provides an alternate way for people to transact if they don't want third party intervention.

To my mind, another reason why btcs are probably not a bubble is the almost complete absence of direct leverage/credit in driving up Btc prices. The big leveraged bets are yet to be made by speculators. Once the big leveraged bets have been made, it will be possible for Btc prices to fall if the leveraged plays are withdrawn. Until then, IMHO current Btc prices are nowhere near bubble valuations.
segeln

Activity: 602

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 01:25:26 AM

Someone posted this link earlier

Best analysis to me so far.
That post comes from me [Germany]
Yes, it`s really the best longterm-chart
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: