Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 06:16:48 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How much in % of your savings are in BTC?  (Read 5997 times)
Dr Bloggood

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 04:58:20 PM

My target is to have 50% of my savings in BTC, so what do you think, is this a good strategy?

Oh, and no, 50% is definitely not a good strategy!
jeppe

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 05:38:56 PM

have a lot in bitcoin but only what i can lose !!
btcmonster

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 05:44:36 PM

25% atm but gonna get more Smiley
jackmackg

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 05:55:47 PM

I have $25 worth of Bitcoin I got this week. I don't really want to put much more than that.
Kazimir
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1003

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 06:14:04 PM

The concept of saving is stupid, so 0%.
The concept of spending more than you actually need is even more stupid, imho.

What would you do if you win a price or whatever, resulting in a surplus of $500,000 for example?

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Insert coin(s): 1KazimirL9MNcnFnoosGrEkmMsbYLxPPob
gangstabit

Activity: 31

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 06:49:17 PM

bitcoin is speculative right now, put whatever you can afford to lose.

but then again, the same could be said for fiat Undecided
igorr

Activity: 406

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 07:07:58 PM

0% in BTC,
10% in USD,
50% in RUR,
40% in Yuan

Cлaвьcя, Oтeчecтвo нaшe cвoбoднoe,
Бpaтcкиx нapoдoв coюз вeкoвoй,
Пpeдкaми дaннaя мyдpocть нapoднaя!
Cлaвьcя, cтpaнa! Mы гopдимcя тoбoй!
gambit1

Activity: 980
Merit: 508

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 07:08:04 PM

20% for me and I've no real plans to increase that. I think the OP's 50% is too high. Its just too volatile and insecure.
BitDreams

Activity: 503
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 07:35:14 PM

What was 10% of my savings is now 32% of my savings  Huh but I see no reason for concern about *this trend for a couple of years Wink

* https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=366214.0
nodroids

Activity: 42

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 08:16:35 PM

Well, since our savings were put into bitcoin 10 months ago, our savings have grown greatly. Now we keep all but 3 months of libabilities in BTC, so about %90 of our savings with bitcoin investment from 9 months now being something like %70! oh ya.
If there is any delay in getting new fiat savings into BTC it's an emergency in our family.
gavgav

Activity: 490

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 08:19:58 PM

My target is to have 50% of my savings in BTC, so what do you think, is this a good strategy?

Only put the amount you are able to lose. If you will be out on the street if all your savings disappear then dont bother putting a large percentage into BTC - its far too risky!
nodroids

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 08:30:27 PM

OK, reading this more carefully, I gotta say... What are you people nuts? Less than %50?! This is year 5 of the future of financial services, BTC represents light years jump forward. It's as if you can buy a share of all future productivity of the internets back in 1994-95.

Having been in for 9-10 months now, and having seen it up over %8000 percent this year, (like all time historical best investment zone) how can you expect it to do less than %700 next year? Where else are you going to make that? bitcoin has been rocked by most everything and shrugged it off. The Indians are arresting exchange operators, meh says the market. The fork at the beginning of the 2013, the market corrected less than %24 for a week, and the worst possible technical threat was fixed in under a day!

I feel like we are conservative having 3 months of liabilities in fiat. Even if bitcoin drops again to $300 like it did two weeks ago (on two exchanges and then recovered to over $700 immediately despite the Chinese gov, which executes ppl for financial crimes, coming out 'against it' really just recognizing it and preventing banks from using it (halelujah!)). Then you still have liquidity presuming you didn't bet everything in at the very top of $1200. You can sell a few if you really need the fiat, and sit on the rest until it's back over $1250 in 3 months!

I mean come on! Most people I know just worked harder so they wouldn't have to touch their BTC savings because it was going up like 4 times a month. That's the way to go.

I'm glad to see there are soo many bears left, because we have another $10,000 to deploy in the next 2.5 months and have learned our lesson to not touch or trade our BTC. We are almost guaranteed to go north of $5,000 in 2014 (and only that little because India actually is arresting bitcoin traders) and y'all are dithering about picking up slightly cheaper coin? Bitcoin needs to coin the opposite phrase to "picking up nickels in front of a steam roller." You get fiat, you convert it to BTC as fast as possible. If that rule isn't clear to y'all yet, then well good for the rest of us for whom it is.
jackmackg

Activity: 15

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 09:08:49 PM

I can't tell if you are serious nodroids. All I will say is how would you feel if someone read your post, put more than 50% of savings in Bitcoins because of it, then lost almost all of it. Bitcoin is young so growth is easy, we cant really say that the farther we get into it.
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1464
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2013, 09:50:29 PM

Well, it used to be like <1%...but now it's like 80%

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
RomertL

Activity: 470

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 10:58:35 PM

for the first time I got more money than I need day to day, I put it all on btc. Still small money, but when I get more I'll put about 20% in btc, 5% in other cryptos, 60% in silver and the rest in stock market. Think 50% is a lot right now before the important governments have made up their minds. Most people are pussies, so if they ban it completly price will go down as most businesses stop accepting bitcoin as payments (although I will not)

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████▀
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄███████▀
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████████▀
░░░░░░░▄████░░████████▀
░░▄█████████████████▀
░░░████████████████▀
░░░░██████████████▀
░░░░░██████░░█████▀
░░░░░░██████████▀
░░░░░░░████████▀
░░░░░░░░██████▀
░░░░░░░░░████▀
░░░░░░░░░░█▀

▄████████████▀▀█▄
████▀▀▀▀▀░░░▄ ░██
██▄░░░░░░░▄▀░░███
████▄░░░▄▀░░░████
██████▄█░░░░█████
████████░▄░██████
▀███████████████▀
▄████▀▀▀█▀▀▀████▄
████░▄▀▀▀▀▀▄░████
██▀░░░░░░░░░░░▀██
█▀░░░█▀█░█▀█░░░▀█
█░░░░▀▀▀░▀▀▀░░░░█
█▄░░▀▄░░░░░▄▀░░██
▀██▄▄▄█████▄▄▄██▀

▄█▀███████▀▀████▄
██░░▀███▀░░░░▀▄██
███░░░░▀░░░░░░▄██
████░░░░░░░░░░░██
█████▄░░░░░░░░▄██
██▄░░░░░░░░░▄████
▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▀

▄███████████████▄
█████▀░▀▀▀▀░▀████
████░░░░░░░░░░███
████▄░░░░░░░░▄███
█▀████▄▄░░▄▄█████
██▄▀▀▀▀░░░░██████
▀██████▄▄▄▄█████▀

▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██░██
██░▄███████▄░█░██
██░█▄▄▄▄▄███░█░██
██░▀███████▀░████
███▄▄░░░▄▄▄▄█████
▀█████▄█████████▀

▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
███▀░▄▀█▀██▄░▀███
██░▄█▀░▀░▀▀██▄░██
██░███░▀▀▀ ▀██░██
██░███░████░██░██
██▄░█▄░▄░▄▄▄▀░▄██
▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀

MrPalmer

Activity: 98

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 12:32:38 AM

Wow, some people are really banking on BTC!  I think 10% - 20% is reasonable.  Anymore than that and I'd be too nervous.  Different strokes, I suppose.  50% seems way too risky, IMO. 

fluidjax

Activity: 750
Merit: 601

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 12:59:45 AM

Wow, some people are really banking on BTC!  I think 10% - 20% is reasonable.  Anymore than that and I'd be too nervous.  Different strokes, I suppose.  50% seems way too risky, IMO. 

A % figure can be fairly meaningless, absolute values are relevant also.

Someone with a few $1000 of savings can risk a large percentage, as they could earn the money back in a few months. $100,000 is a different matter for most people, even if it is only 10% of their savings, it would take many months/years to recover that amount.

Of course few here are going to divulge absolute values so we are stuck with it.

Another factor is the increase in value, I started with 2% which has increased to 70%. I think it would be crazy for me to invest 70% of my savings now, but i'm happy to let it play out and see what happens.

I think sometimes you need some balls.
MrPalmer

Activity: 98

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 01:13:38 AM

A % figure can be fairly meaningless, absolute values are relevant also.

Someone with a few $1000 of savings can risk a large percentage, as they could earn the money back in a few months. $100,000 is a different matter for most people, even if it is only 10% of their savings, it would take many months/years to recover that amount.

Of course few here are going to divulge absolute values so we are stuck with it.

Another factor is the increase in value, I started with 2% which has increased to 70%. I think it would be crazy for me to invest 70% of my savings now, but i'm happy to let it play out and see what happens.

I think sometimes you need some balls.

This is true.  The % is subjective, without knowing the values.  We could be talking about the same dollar figure at 70% of my savings, and 2% of yours. 

Definitely takes some balls to throw large sums into investments.  I just don't want to lose my balls either!   

Heathrow

Activity: 36

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 01:55:02 AM

If you have almost no money, then sure, gamble a large percentage of what you can save on BTC (or other alt-coins).  But anybody who has enough money to distribute savings around should only be investing a percentage of their savings in BTC (or other alt-coins).  I'd say no more than 20% in BTC (or other alt-coins) and you're still being somewhat reasonable.
CoinPN

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 01:57:30 AM

Close too 80%  Wink
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: