Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 01:06:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin PR effort  (Read 4146 times)
Piper67 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 01:20:17 PM

I was just watching Jeff Garzik's presentation at the Bitconf (really? Bitcon? was someone asleep?), and he mentioned the need for a PR effort to bring a higher level of bitcoin education to the general public.

As I happen to agree, and have a background in communication and journalism, it resonates with me.

So I thought we might start a discussion as to what this Bitcoin PR would look and feel like. Here are some ideas:

- A clearing house for expertise on the different aspects of bitcoin, that puts out regular press releases to media outlets, then guides the incoming queries through the appropriate channels.

- A repository of all previous coverage of bitcoin in the media.

- A proactive effort to contact levels of government, banking, trading, law enforcement, etc... towards showing that bitcoin, while truly revolutionary as a concept, isn't necessarily "dangerous" and can in fact be complementary to already existing policies, systems and paradigms.

- Perhaps some inroads into academia, to see if some bright students want to make bitcoin the object of their dissertation, or to channel the knowledgable people to give talks at universities and colleges.

Any other ideas? A name would be great... too bad Bitcoin Consultancy is already taken.

Or, this PR effort could be rolled into an existing entity, like Bitcoin Consultancy.

The key is that it has to be done professionally. So far, most attempts at bringing bitcoin to the public at large have had a certain whiff of amateurishness to them. We need to raise the bar a tad.

Cheers,

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MattscheAN

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2011, 01:37:51 PM

As you say professionaly ..... it will show up some financial problems ... theres no central Organisation interessted in Bitcoins future that could spend anything. Lobbying and PR usually costs money (or Bitcoin). Therefore an Organisation is needed to coordinate this. And this Organisation will depend on donations.

My first Step, if i were a guy with background in PR lile you, where to find some other guys with PR Knowledge and Expierience. Found an Organisation, a Website and get Donations. Then making tactical discussions on the net.

I like this Idea and i think interested Companies that are in Bitcoin allready would do some donations. But IMHO at first you need a Concept for this PR-Group itself. Maybe it will be something like a Companies driven Interest Group (B.I.C. Bitcoin Interrest Group!). Once you have Money, you have what you need to start tactical Campaigns.

I would welcome such a Group, but someone have to take this serious and on a professional manner like you said.
Disposition

Activity: 121
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 01:56:42 PM

great minds think alike http://bitnavigator.info/?p=149

we got some plans in motion for the city of new york, stay tuned ;)
Weaver

Activity: 207

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 02:07:33 PM

A couple guys and I are hard at work making a site for press releases and academic dissertations... It should be done within the week... PM me if you want to help out! Smiley
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2011, 03:04:18 PM

4 posts with 53 spelling errors. Yes, I counted them, but I'm no grammarian, let alone a Grammar Nazi.  http://www.collegehumor.com/video/6060107/grammar-nazis

I opted not to site any of the posts, but would like to bring one error to attention. I think this PR campaign should start with always capitalizing Bitcoin when used as a proper noun.

But that's not what I came here to post about, although it was heavy on my mind upon reading the four posts.

PR is very important in bettering Bitcoin's position. I applaud your efforts.

Now an important note: Although bitcoinconsultancy.com is already taken, bitcoinconsultancy.org is available, and would clearly be the domain of choice for your endeavor. I hope that this relative information helps with the much needed PR effort.

Two more: BitcoinRelations (.com or .org) & BitcoinSphere (.com or .org)

Piper67 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 03:10:17 PM

4 posts with 53 spelling errors. Yes, I counted them, but I'm no grammarian, let alone a Grammar Nazi.  http://www.collegehumor.com/video/6060107/grammar-nazis

I opted not to site any of the posts, but would like to bring one error to attention. I think this PR campaign should start with always capitalizing Bitcoin when used as a proper noun.

But that's not what I came here to post about, although it was heavy on my mind upon reading the four posts.

Now an important note: Although bitcoinconsultancy.com is already taken, bitcoinconsultancy.org is available, and would clearly be the domain of choice for your endeavor. I hope that this relative information helps with the much needed PR effort.

53 spelling errors? On my posts? Here, I must protest!

I agree fully with capitalising Bitcoin, I often don't out of sheer laziness, but will make more of an effort from now on.

Bitcoinworld.com/org and Bitcoininfo.org are not taken either.

Really? 53 spelling errors? Would you care to place a little wager on that?
spruce

Activity: 140

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 03:27:10 PM

4 posts with 53 spelling errors. Yes, I counted them, but I'm no grammarian, let alone a Grammar Nazi.  http://www.collegehumor.com/video/6060107/grammar-nazis

Achtung!

-----

Dollar is not capitalised in normal use. Maybe it should be capitalised when used as a subject, but not as a currency unit. As in, "I just paid 1.7 bitcoins (or BTC) for a book about Bitcoin."
Graet
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 980

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2011, 03:41:01 PM

Great timing!

"The key is that it has to be done professionally. So far, most attempts at bringing bitcoin to the public at large have had a certain whiff of amateurishness to them. We need to raise the bar a tad." yes, Yes and YES!!

Bitcoin AU 2011 emerged from the IRC chanels and onto https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=38867.0 last night

Any and all help to publicise this event would be appreciated.

(Hoping AU PR type ppl are attracted by this thread title ) Smiley

| Ozcoin Pooled Mining Pty Ltd https://ozcoin.net Double Geometric Reward System https://lc.ozcoin.net for Litecoin mining DGM| https://crowncloud.net VPS and Dedicated Servers for the BTC community
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2011, 03:47:33 PM

Achtung!

-----

Dollar is not capitalised in normal use. Maybe it should be capitalised when used as a subject, but not as a currency unit. As in, "I just paid 1.7 bitcoins (or BTC) for a book about Bitcoin."

You are absolutely correct! With that said, is this correct?

A repository of all previous coverage of bitcoin in the media.

Colargol

Activity: 85
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 25, 2011, 04:50:30 PM

I was just watching Jeff Garzik's presentation at the Bitconf (really? Bitcon? was someone asleep?), and he mentioned the need for a PR effort to bring a higher level of bitcoin education to the general public.

As I happen to agree, and have a background in communication and journalism, it resonates with me.

So I thought we might start a discussion as to what this Bitcoin PR would look and feel like. Here are some ideas:

- A clearing house for expertise on the different aspects of bitcoin, that puts out regular press releases to media outlets, then guides the incoming queries through the appropriate channels.

- A repository of all previous coverage of bitcoin in the media.

- A proactive effort to contact levels of government, banking, trading, law enforcement, etc... towards showing that bitcoin, while truly revolutionary as a concept, isn't necessarily "dangerous" and can in fact be complementary to already existing policies, systems and paradigms.

- Perhaps some inroads into academia, to see if some bright students want to make bitcoin the object of their dissertation, or to channel the knowledgable people to give talks at universities and colleges.

Any other ideas? A name would be great... too bad Bitcoin Consultancy is already taken.

Or, this PR effort could be rolled into an existing entity, like Bitcoin Consultancy.

The key is that it has to be done professionally. So far, most attempts at bringing bitcoin to the public at large have had a certain whiff of amateurishness to them. We need to raise the bar a tad.

Cheers,

Here, here...  thumbs up...   +1   

and whatever phrase I can think of to show that I support this effort. 

Smiley

Please donate a few pennies to the singing and dancing bear:
1KUsZU8GkUAQJH5ryqSFtTJGgFtqJnsedE
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2011, 02:59:45 AM

53 spelling errors? On my posts? Here, I must protest!

I agree fully with capitalising Bitcoin, I often don't out of sheer laziness, but will make more of an effort from now on.

Bitcoinworld.com/org and Bitcoininfo.org are not taken either.

Really? 53 spelling errors? Would you care to place a little wager on that?

Please forgive, Piper67. I pulled the 53 number out of my ass. I was not in reference to just your post, but to the first four, of which your post is included.

Your suggestion of PR is on point. It just hit me the wrong way, THEN, to see quite a few common spelling errors, especially on the subject of having a PR campaign. After reading the first four posts, but before commenting, this is how I visualized the PR site's homepage  would read:

Hello, all. My name is Bob, and I build this site to introduced you too bitcoin PR.

Basically, that's what I saw in my mind's eye, hence my post. It just irked me the wrong way.

With that said, let's get this damn PR thingy (like that word?) on track. I noticed Weaver and friends has something in the works. I look forward to seeing what he has, soon.

Once again, Piper67, please accept my apology. One more thing, when I made my dumb comment, I didn't look to see who started the thread or, if I did, I didn't retain that information when I posted. I guess I was to much into the PR state of mind. In fact, if I would of taken a second to see who started this thread, I would not have posted my remark. I hope that says something without me outright saying it.

(I apologize to my fans for not supplying an image to this post)

Piper67 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 26, 2011, 03:08:12 AM

No apology necessary. In fact, I was chuckling the whole way with the 53 spelling errors.

The more I look at this, though, the morenit makes sense to start some form of PR for Bitcoin. In don't know the first thing about web design (I imagine a cool website would be a first step towards getting a PR campaign started).

I'll send a message to Weaver and see what those guys are up to, but it can't be stressed enough that this has to ooze professionalism.

Cheers,
fennec

Activity: 76
Merit: 87

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2011, 10:27:32 AM

We need a TED talk.

It would be amazing PR directed at the perfect demographic. Best of all: it would be free.

Anyone have any idea how to make this happen?

Preev – simple Bitcoin converter with live exchange rates
FlipPro
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 26, 2011, 10:31:55 AM

Phinnaeus Gage

WE NEED YOU Smiley !

We need a grammar freak just like you to perfect our press releases and make them Gosu. I am willing to give up my time for free to write these press releases, as long as Phinnaeus Gage
proof reads and edits them, and piper distributes them through his wired pr network.

Lets get to work gentlemen.
Piper67 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 26, 2011, 12:23:32 PM

We need a TED talk.

It would be amazing PR directed at the perfect demographic. Best of all: it would be free.

Anyone have any idea how to make this happen?

A TED talk would be fantastic... a TED talk by Bruce would be a nightmare.

No offence, Bruce, I love you and what you're trying to do for Bitcoin, but we need less of an evangelist and more of a charmer. Actually, I'm thinking Rick Falvinge would be ideal for TED.
fennec

Activity: 76
Merit: 87

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2011, 01:32:25 PM

Actually, I'm thinking Rick Falvinge would be ideal for TED.

Agreed! I thought he did a great job in this interview.

Preev – simple Bitcoin converter with live exchange rates
Xenland
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1003

I'm not just any shaman, I'm a Sha256man

View Profile
August 26, 2011, 02:17:55 PM

I plan on doing social experiments on my up and comming amazon clone for bitcoins only website. I hope to teach customers how bitcoins work while they shop, they will learn by doing which I find is best to learn things that are complex. Any ideas on social experiments I can put to the test?
BCNA

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 26, 2011, 02:40:26 PM

Good Work
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2011, 03:56:13 PM

Phinnaeus Gage

WE NEED YOU Smiley !

We need a grammar freak just like you to perfect our press releases and make them Gosu. I am willing to give up my time for free to write these press releases, as long as Phinnaeus Gage
proof reads and edits them, and piper distributes them through his wired pr network.

Lets get to work gentlemen.

Your comment flattered me, FlipPro, but the truth of the matter is I ain't no wordsmith. Like most here on this board, it only takes a second for an idea to pop into my head upon reading what someone else wrote, most of the time sparked by some keyword or key phrase. It takes me about a minute or two to pen a quick posts to share my thoughts with this community. But, it takes me no less than five minutes to edit what I wrote prior to posting. Upon posting, I then double check my spelling and grammar, still finding errors to correct. It's not that I want to come across as some brainiac (uncovered that word a few weeks ago via a Google search), but because I learned a couple decades ago from a fat man who smokes a cigar and drinks Snapple--Words Mean Things. That phrase always stuck with me upon hearing it the very first time. I now wish I paid more attention in school when it came to the English language. I had no problems in math, though. In fact, to this day I believe I have a simpler proof (not quite a proof yet, otherwise it would have been published) for Fermat's Last Theorem, if anyone is interested (no BS).

With that said (still hate dislike that phrase), I would love to proofread anything you, or anybody else, writes, to weed out the simple spelling and grammar errors, but by no means should my editing be the final edit. I also love doing research...AND IMAGES (lol).

the founder

Activity: 448
Merit: 251

Bitcoin

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2011, 04:11:21 PM

Yooter InterActive can help SEO anything you guys come up with.....   we're bitcoin friendly.

Bitcoin RSS App / Bitcoin Android App / Bitcoin Webapp http://www.ounce.me  Say thank you here:  1HByHZQ44LUCxxpnqtXDuJVmrSdrGK6Q2f
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: