Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 01:51:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin PR effort  (Read 4144 times)
Piper67 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 26, 2011, 04:20:53 PM

Yooter InterActive can help SEO anything you guys come up with.....   we're bitcoin friendly.

You'll do the SEO... who can do a good website?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Colargol

Activity: 85
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 26, 2011, 04:54:12 PM

[ caption needed? ]

Please donate a few pennies to the singing and dancing bear:
1KUsZU8GkUAQJH5ryqSFtTJGgFtqJnsedE
fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2072

View Profile
August 26, 2011, 04:55:49 PM

[ caption needed? ]

Someone please wipe this black makeup off my face?
Piper67 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 26, 2011, 04:55:56 PM

[ caption needed? ]

Love her if she's blowing, hate her if she's sucking?
btcmerchant

Activity: 60

btcmerchant

View Profile
August 26, 2011, 05:07:47 PM

I agree that more positive PR needs to be done with bitcoin. I think although the bitcoin community is very strong, as of now it seems like most people that are involved are either techies or financial professionals. What we need is a stronger PR and marketing presence.

I'm currently working on a user friendly bitcoin merchant directory at btcmerchants.com which will (hopefully) promote businesses accepting bitcoin as a form of payment and I'd like to offer up any help needed in this PR campaign.

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2011, 05:25:28 PM

Heigh-Ho, Everybody!

Think Rudy Vallée.

someotherguy

Activity: 94

View Profile
August 26, 2011, 07:37:16 PM

I was just watching Jeff Garzik's presentation at the Bitconf (really? Bitcon? was someone asleep?), and he mentioned the need for a PR effort to bring a higher level of bitcoin education to the general public.

As I happen to agree, and have a background in communication and journalism, it resonates with me.

So I thought we might start a discussion as to what this Bitcoin PR would look and feel like. Here are some ideas:

- A clearing house for expertise on the different aspects of bitcoin, that puts out regular press releases to media outlets, then guides the incoming queries through the appropriate channels.

- A repository of all previous coverage of bitcoin in the media.

- A proactive effort to contact levels of government, banking, trading, law enforcement, etc... towards showing that bitcoin, while truly revolutionary as a concept, isn't necessarily "dangerous" and can in fact be complementary to already existing policies, systems and paradigms.

- Perhaps some inroads into academia, to see if some bright students want to make bitcoin the object of their dissertation, or to channel the knowledgable people to give talks at universities and colleges.

Any other ideas? A name would be great... too bad Bitcoin Consultancy is already taken.

Or, this PR effort could be rolled into an existing entity, like Bitcoin Consultancy.

The key is that it has to be done professionally. So far, most attempts at bringing bitcoin to the public at large have had a certain whiff of amateurishness to them. We need to raise the bar a tad.

Cheers,

PM sent
Piper67 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 27, 2011, 01:52:44 AM

Check your inbox someotherguy.
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 27, 2011, 02:03:51 AM

- A proactive effort to contact levels of government, banking, trading, law enforcement, etc... towards showing that bitcoin, while truly revolutionary as a concept, isn't necessarily "dangerous" and can in fact be complementary to already existing policies, systems and paradigms.

This one's essential to legitimising Bitcoin but it's also a bit tricky at the moment with so many Bitcoin associated services operating in legal grey areas.

Perhaps the issue of Bitcoin services - and especially the exchanges - moving towards compliance with local regulations could be put on the agenda for the Melbourne conference.    I think that at least 3 exchanges will be represented at that conference, so it would be a good opportunity to get an idea of whether they're willing to take the kind of steps which government, banking, law enforcement would view in a positive light or whether they wish to continue operating in grey areas which are likely to attract negative attention from those entities.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 27, 2011, 04:05:34 AM

people that are involved are either techies or financial professionals.

and libertarians.

Ask five different Bitcoiners why they are interested in the currency and you might get five different answers.  That's good having more than one core selling point but that's also bad because that means it gets harder to come up with a single message to deliver.

There are things that nearly all have in common -- a distaste for banks.  Using Bitcoin to marginalize banks to where they become an insignificant part of our lives is something we would all love to see happen.  I wouldn't know where to even start in trying to communicate that message though.

This is a relevant thread: http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=12842.0

Rick Falvinge has some great posts exploring the "why"s of Bitcoin.  His series starts here: http://falkvinge.net/2011/06/16/bitcoins-four-drivers-part-one-unlawful-trade 

Getting Bitcoin used as a payment method can happen after grass roots interest from consumers, but more likely it will get traction when merchants, game developers and ecommerce organizations start to see how bitcoin brings benefits over alternatives (no chargebacks, significantly lower transaction fees and nearly instantaneous "settlement").

Perhaps directing some more attention toward identifying the merchants that should be using bitcoin and convincing them to consider it is the most beneficial (to bitcoin) first step for this PR initiative?

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2011, 04:45:39 AM

people that are involved are either techies or financial professionals.

and libertarians.

Ask five different Bitcoiners why they are interested in the currency and you might get five different answers.  That's good having more than one core selling point but that's also bad because that means it gets harder to come up with a single message to deliver.

There are things that nearly all have in common -- a distaste for banks.  Using Bitcoin to marginalize banks to where they become an insignificant part of our lives is something we would all love to see happen.  I wouldn't know where to even start in trying to communicate that message though.

This is a relevant thread: http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=12842.0

Rick Falvinge has some great posts exploring the "why"s of Bitcoin.  His series starts here: http://falkvinge.net/2011/06/16/bitcoins-four-drivers-part-one-unlawful-trade 

Getting Bitcoin used as a payment method can happen after grass roots interest from consumers, but more likely it will get traction when merchants, game developers and ecommerce organizations start to see how bitcoin brings benefits over alternatives (no chargebacks, significantly lower transaction fees and nearly instantaneous "settlement").

Perhaps directing some more attention toward identifying the merchants that should be using bitcoin and convincing them to consider it is the most beneficial (to bitcoin) first step for this PR initiative?

Yep! Watch it again, everybody: http://www.ted.com/talks/simon_sinek_how_great_leaders_inspire_action.html

BitcoinBabe

Activity: 84

Side-stepping the matrix | Bit by bit

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2011, 07:59:52 AM
Last edit: August 27, 2011, 01:00:00 PM by BitcoinBabe

We need a TED talk.

It would be amazing PR directed at the perfect demographic. Best of all: it would be free.

Anyone have any idea how to make this happen?

A TED talk would be fantastic... a TED talk by Bruce would be a nightmare.

No offence, Bruce, I love you and what you're trying to do for Bitcoin, but we need less of an evangelist and more of a charmer. Actually, I'm thinking Rick Falvinge would be ideal for TED.

I beg to differ on Rick Falvinge being ideal for a TED talk. He's brilliant on the facts but his delivery leaves a lot to be desired. The best TED talks tend to be insightful, informative and inspirational. Rick inspires me to want to go to sleep... and I'm a bitcoin enthusiast.

His image is a little sloppy too. If he's going to wear a business suit and tie, then he could stand to look a bit sharper; otherwise, he could try going for the sartorial style of Steve Jobs or Peter Thiel - different (in the normally staid business/commercial field) but not threatening - both men who know how to present new, innovative ideas, and ideas that went on to break new frontiers no less.

So, while Falvinge is a great resource, for a successful TED talk you need someone with a balance of oratory and presentation skills combined with knowledge. Sadly, Falvinge aint it.

D.H.

Activity: 311
Merit: 250

Bitcoin.se site owner

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2011, 04:11:08 PM

- A clearing house for expertise on the different aspects of bitcoin, that puts out regular press releases to media outlets, then guides the incoming queries through the appropriate channels.

- A repository of all previous coverage of bitcoin in the media.

- Perhaps some inroads into academia, to see if some bright students want to make bitcoin the object of their dissertation, or to channel the knowledgable people to give talks at universities and colleges.

Good thread. I think that each country needs to get initiatives like this going. Bitcoin enthusiasts in Germany/Sweden/Whatever have to get together to contact the German/Swedish/Whatever government. The media in each country should have somewhere to turn to for expertise etc.

Personally I'll try to get some sort of community/forum going on www.bitcoin.se soon. Hopefully some of the people visiting will be interested in PR work.

www.bitcoin.se - Forum, nyheter och information på svenska! (Forum, news and information in Swedish)
defxor

Activity: 530
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 27, 2011, 10:43:39 PM

So, while Falvinge is a great resource, for a successful TED talk you need someone with a balance of oratory and presentation skills combined with knowledge. Sadly, Falvinge aint it.

While I can understand where you're coming from, some of the interviews lately have been a bit monotonic, Rick actually does great presentations. He did one at Reboot11 about the Pirate Party that was very well received.

http://video.reboot.dk/video/510337/pirates-go-to-parliament-by (from 2009)

(Reboot is an unconference happening more than a carefully planned TED conference which shows though)

S3052
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 12:05:02 AM

I was just watching Jeff Garzik's presentation at the Bitconf (really? Bitcon? was someone asleep?), and he mentioned the need for a PR effort to bring a higher level of bitcoin education to the general public.

As I happen to agree, and have a background in communication and journalism, it resonates with me.

Great that you started this thread. Let's work together. I will sent back some feedback and ideas soon.

Weaver

Activity: 207
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 12:08:27 AM

I'll post again in this thread when the resources site is up. We will be giving away all our content for free.
indio007

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 12:23:10 AM

BTW what is the BTC best case scenerio? I think this needs to be worked out. Having just another form of currency doesn't do it for most people. It's simply reinventing the wheel.

Also decentralization is too abstract for most sheeple.

I think the best selling point is the fact the BTC is the electronic equivalent of cash. How that is great in a practical way needs to be built upon.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2011, 03:24:27 AM

BTW what is the BTC best case scenerio? I think this needs to be worked out. Having just another form of currency doesn't do it for most people. It's simply reinventing the wheel.

Also decentralization is too abstract for most sheeple.

I think the best selling point is the fact the BTC is the electronic equivalent of cash. How that is great in a practical way needs to be built upon.

Always keep in mind Simon Sinek's Golden Circle.

BitcoinBabe

Activity: 84

Side-stepping the matrix | Bit by bit

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2011, 09:20:28 AM

While I can understand where you're coming from, some of the interviews lately have been a bit monotonic, Rick actually does great presentations. He did one at Reboot11 about the Pirate Party that was very well received.

http://video.reboot.dk/video/510337/pirates-go-to-parliament-by (from 2009)

(Reboot is an unconference happening more than a carefully planned TED conference which shows though)

Ah, I take it back! He does have some life in him after all.

In the first link possted in this thread where he is Max Keiser's guest he looks a little constipated and lacking in sparkle. This, on the other hand, shows him to have humour and a depth of character rather than just a robotic talking head. And yes, TED Talks would certainly make this same presentation look more appealing, so the fact that he still comes across OK here drives your point home all the more.

Piper67 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 11:02:42 AM

Ok, so let me try to advance this idea a little bit. Some of us are already starting to move forward and we could use help from people here.

If you have a background in PR, advertising, writing, media, website development or academia, and want to participate, feel free to send me a private message, let me know what your strong suit is (what you feel you might be able to contribute) and I'll try to keep you in the loop.

Cheers,
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: