Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 02:27:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: New message board wish list  (Read 4309 times)
coinrevo (OP)

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 04:53:42 AM

I have no doubt somebody will do a new message board some time in the future (100 years?). If somebody wants to raise BTC let me know. I would strongly suggest using MeteorJS.

my wish list

* proper Bitcoin integration. Use features of AngelList
* new structuring of threads similar to https://github.com/discourse/discourse
* Users with proper images
* notifications
* proper search
* good design, like moot.it
* opensource, build your own
* smart filtering of all the noise and fraud
* voting features
* trust system that makes sense

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
whiskers75

Activity: 658
Merit: 502

Doesn't use these forums that often.

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 06:33:02 AM

If I had the money/time/initiative, I would do something like this in Node.js. However, I'm still screwing around with Apache2 Sad

Elastic.pw Elastic - The Decentralized Supercomputer
ELASTIC ANNOUNCEMENT THREAD | ELASTIC SLACK | ELASTIC FORUM
coinrevo (OP)

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 02:50:07 PM

Checkout meteorJS - it runs on node and is IMO the future of web-development. If you've done Rails/Django or even php, this is orders of magnitude easier and cooler. one can grab some code-bits and concepts from the discourse project (its GPL). I guess with all the Facebooks and Twitters of the world, forums were not improving for a while now. the opportunities are endless if one builds bitcoin into the core.

I can do most of the dev'ing, its just more of a question how to set it up, so that a new, better board serves "the community" (whatever that is). I might code something up over the next months. Should be strictly non-commercial in terms of the operation. If everything is open people can fork if they want.
coinrevo (OP)

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 10:47:06 AM

* improve the platform to become a DAC, see [1]

[1] http://web.archive.org/web/20061230075325/http://www.theiia.org/ITAudit/index.cfm?act=itaudit.archive&fid=216
coinrevo (OP)

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 02:31:30 PM

* integrate github like features with github
* projects and git integration. sharing keys and authority
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 11:49:50 AM

* API!

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
coinrevo (OP)

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 12:40:31 PM

yeah, API would be cool.

how about this: if 10-20 people chime in, we create a club which builds this, and then roll out by method circling, to reduce spam/corporate sellouts. bitcoin community driven projects only.  we need some way to enforce minimal policies, while keeping the ecosystem clean.

suggestions on how to set something like this up, which builds on community efforts, very welcome. I suggest a minimal fee to keep noise out. that fee would go to bounties, in smart contractable way.
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 12:42:39 PM

It's already being built actually

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
coinrevo (OP)

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 12:44:25 PM

URL?

let there be 10 competing clubs. each releases their source GPL'ed and the best one wins. I haven't seen anything like it yet, because there is loads of work required to make the smart contract part work.
coinrevo (OP)

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 12:57:18 PM

advanced stuff

* advanced trust models, using networks. if I <trust> X and X <trust> Y, I can <trust> Y a little bit more. if X <ensures> Y's trust with BTC that's even better. if Y defaults on trust, X has to post me his insured BTC. if I find 10 people who trust Y and each insures him with 1 BTC, I can do 10 BTC volume business with him. This was the goal with ripple, but breaks at beginning with trusting a corp for money supply.

Furthermore: if 10 people trust X they can insure him as a group, creating a mutual account. some trust insurance can be specific to some contracts.

* proof of property. I use keys to prove I own virtual good X. now I can transfer that virtual good.

Problem with all of this, of course, it is subject to a server / admin. but there is no way to execute software on the blockchain securely, so we have to find a different way.
coinrevo (OP)

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 03:17:29 PM

* kickstarter like features
* projects are listed in a separate category (like github links users with projects)
* verify donations (to give feedback)
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 09:17:39 PM
Last edit: January 19, 2014, 09:28:53 PM by Kluge

*Ability to auto-ignore new subforums being added, non-obnoxious notification ("alert bar"?) of new subforums being added which are not ignored by default.

Useful because I have some local language sub-boards unignored, but end up with a handful of new subforums in a language I don't speak adding topics to the "new posts" list.

*Some type of "spoiler" code, as used on other forums, would greatly benefit this forum, which tends to have a high number of exceptionally long and often segmented posts. It'd be nice if images in "spoiler" data were not downloaded unless the "show spoiler" button were clicked.
qwk
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3542
Merit: 3411

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 09:24:02 PM

"ignore thread" feature. Preferably with a checkbox in the thread list. So that when you move on to the next page, all the checked threads are ignored.

Yeah, well, I'm gonna go build my own blockchain. With blackjack and hookers! In fact forget the blockchain.
Akka
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 10:55:36 PM

"ignore thread" feature. Preferably with a checkbox in the thread list. So that when you move on to the next page, all the checked threads are ignored.

+1

Also:

"Ignore Sig" Button, like the Ignore Button in the Sig of Users, to Ignore only specific Sigs (Those Advertising Sigs are annoying). I know this can be done with addblock. But using addblock on this forum causes other problems.

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update
coinrevo (OP)

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 05:10:53 PM

glad there is some activity in this thread.

* filter/sort threads by number of views
* star features, like github
* news. like hackernews for bitcoin
qwk
Donator
Legendary

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 06:11:57 PM

* filter/sort threads by number of views
You can already do that. Well, at least sort by number of views.

Yeah, well, I'm gonna go build my own blockchain. With blackjack and hookers! In fact forget the blockchain.
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 11:16:18 PM
Last edit: January 26, 2014, 11:29:12 PM by Kluge

Rename forum.

(for serious suggestion, some type of option to mark users "important" would be nice. I'd see this as creating a larger border around posts they make so it's easier for me to notice when I'm skimming a thread, or possibly just a little icon somewhere in their post.)
qwk
Donator
Legendary

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 11:46:18 PM

(for serious suggestion, some type of option to mark users "important" would be nice. I'd see this as creating a larger border around posts they make so it's easier for me to notice when I'm skimming a thread, or possibly just a little icon somewhere in their post.)
Something like the trust system now, where you add users which seem important to you, and where their choice of important users would also be considered important to you... "importance scoring", sounds like a nice idea.

theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12985

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 06:52:29 AM

Something like that is fairly high on my to-do list. It'll work just like the Ignore feature, with highlighting when someone is "popular". (Ignore highlighting is currently disabled, of course. That's higher on my to-do list...)

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 11:06:40 AM

Okay, I think this is the one. I think this is critical for BTCTalk 2.0 (or 3.0, I guess?)

Have Weighted Thread Activity ("WTA") display next to threads, maybe color coded. WTA is displayed in percentage and is the cumulative activity score of unique users posting in thread, divided by 10,000.

Stephany has activity of 50 and posts once
Bill has activity of 100 and posts twice
John has activity of 1000 and posts ten times
Betsy has activity of 300 and posts three times

They all post in a particular thread. The WTA for this thread is (50+100+1000+300)/10,000, or 14.5%

This percentage is to roughly guesstimate the "legitness" of the thread. This could have a major impact on astroturf ponzi threads where low-post bought accounts are pumping up the nonsense. Every time a "major poster" posts in a thread while leaving the default-on "add to WTA" option checked, he is adding to the thread's "legitness."

Beyond this, another positive impact can be made with "WTA (decaying)," a column where WTA is calculated normally, but with a 5% (nominal) per day decrease in a poster's WTA contribution since the day he originally posted. This is able to be abused, so once a user posts the first time, that original posting date should be stored by the forum server and unable to be changed, even if the user deletes his original post.

Stephany has activity of 50 and posts once, first on 1/24/14
Bill has activity of 100 and posts twice, first on 1/20/14
John has activity of 1000 and posts ten times, first on 1/11/14
Betsy has activity of 300 and posts three times, first on 1/10/14
It is 1/29/14

The WTA (decaying) for this thread is ([50*.75]+[100*.55]+[1000*.1]+[300*0]), or 1.55%.

WTA (decaying) can be used to find the threads recently most actively posted in by high-activity users, a relatively accurate (IMO) "what's hot?" I'd also suggest something similar to a "what's hot?" button in the main user toolbar, where the top 100 or so threads (by WTA (decaying)) are kept.

I'd imagine this would be very resource-intensive, so the dev should be careful about giving rough estimates over hard real-time statistics (for example, don't calculate WTA contributions by user more than once). This would effectively replace having to ban giveaway threads and help reduce the potential for scams (except, obviously, by high-activity members, whose threads would initially be given more credibility). Trust rating could act as a multiplier to someone's WTA contribution, but that seems like a clusterfuck waiting to happen.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: