Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 12:21:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: SolidCoin 1.01 Released  (Read 7540 times)
CoinHunter (OP)

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 25, 2011, 02:14:19 AM
Last edit: August 25, 2011, 09:41:28 AM by CoinHunter

SolidCoin 1.01 has been released! Read bottom of post for what's new

Download Here

Binaries For Windows, Mac OSX, Linux (32bit and 64bit)
Source also available

^ this screenshot is of the bounty wallet. 25000 SolidCoins have been given away in bounties so far. A bit over 6000 SC has been donated.

What's new

v1.01 - August 25, 2011
-Added security checkpoints at block 10000 and 20000
-Fixed bug in "Create New Address" dialog which stopped it being the right size with certain font sizes
-Fixed bug in "Send Funds" dialog which didn't start at correct height in some situations
-Fixed crash bug when opening options
-Fixed startup bug which wouldn't locate already running SolidCoin.exe on Windows
-Improved main screen interface flow. Also added a logo button which takes you to SolidCoin website.
-SolidCoin RPC/JSON API extensions added which return SolidCoins as integer amounts (like banks operate in) as strings

instead of as "Real". Fixes some issues which can be experienced on PHP and other languages that exist in Bitcoin and other

chains.
-Still 100% backwards compatible with the old Bitcoin API, new functions added are just the beginning to help developers.

-These are the new methods which you can query that return both INTEGER and REAL (for human eyes) amounts

"sc_getbalance"
"sc_getfee"
"sc_getinfo"
"sc_getreceivedbyaddress"
"sc_gettransaction"
"sc_listaccounts"
"sc_listtransactions"
"sc_listreceivedbyaddress"
"sc_listreceivedbyaccount"
"sc_move"
"sc_sendfrom"
"sc_sendtoaddress"
"sc_sendmany"

v1.00 - August 21, 2011 (initial release)

This is a graph showing SolidCoin difficulty, hash rate and exchange price. As can be seen, unlike the other chains SolidCoin's protocol is designed to encourage network reliability. A steady increase in price also shows the market is diversified enough that a mere few people cannot manipulate it.

Also of note is the current hoarding of SolidCoin's. Only 10% of the available SolidCoins are available to purchase.

Try SolidCoin or talk with other SolidCoin supporters here SolidCoin Forums

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
naypalm
Legendary

Activity: 1272
Merit: 1012

howdy

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2011, 02:49:51 AM

Looks like a lot of hard work went into this new release! The button to the website is a nice touch! Congrats on having quite the solid and robust bitcoin alternative! Cheesy

Anonymous

August 25, 2011, 02:53:39 AM

Looks like a lot of hard work went into this new release! The button to the website is a nice touch! Congrats on having quite the solid and robust bitcoin alternative! Cheesy

+10

Im excited by the rate of development with solidcoin. I know the issue with bitcoind locking up with php is annoying because we have that issue at witcoin.
FlipPro
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 25, 2011, 03:09:58 AM
Last edit: August 25, 2011, 03:27:56 AM by FlipPro

Have fun getting scammed when this comes back to bite you guys in the ass

"The vast majority of the Bitcoin network receives blocks within seconds of a miner finding them. Seconds! So yes 3 minutes is easily enough time, it's a simple fact that 10 minutes is too long!

Slow clients/nodes on the SolidCoin network aren't wanted, there are alternatives to running a node, such as using an exchange or ewallet service to hold your SolidCoins.

Visa and Mastercard transaction networks aren't run on dialup modems, they are run on optic fiber. SolidCoin aims to facilitate a movement to faster nodes to improve network throughput and response.

The move to 3 minute blocks ensures the network is going to process transactions much faster than the Bitcoin network and allows a new range of services to take advantage of this power (ie. near instant processing of orders based on a low risk management system)."

10 minutes was the magic number. Cheesy I wouldn't stray away from the fundamentals people..

EDIT: Honestly how do you prevent a double spend attack in your system?
CoinHunter (OP)

View Profile
August 25, 2011, 03:34:21 AM

How does Bitcoin? The only way is to try and balance the network. Difficulty is irrelevant as to whether the network is balanced or not.

FlipPro
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 25, 2011, 04:07:11 AM

How does Bitcoin? The only way is to try and balance the network. Difficulty is irrelevant as to whether the network is balanced or not.
To my understanding speeding up the block-chain production weakens the security level of every transaction. So basically you still have to wait the same amount of time to be 100% secure of the transaction, yet all you're doing is moving the confirmation time down, thus giving everyone a false sense of improvement while further weakening the security fundamentals that have made Bitcoin so solid. Honestly why not spend your time making a direct credit wallet that credits POS systems instantly (even faster than your blockchain) with the ability to charge-back and have some level of fraud protection all based on TESTED technology. That's something the community is looking for. Not some crap copy of Bitcoin meant to pump and dump your greedy pockets.
joulesbeef

Activity: 476

moOo

View Profile
August 25, 2011, 04:13:38 AM

development, nice, it's sign of a real alternative coin, I think I will stop calling solidcoin a gambling app. Tongue

Now we just need more places to spend them

mooo for rent
CoinHunter (OP)

View Profile
August 25, 2011, 04:38:39 AM

To my understanding speeding up the block-chain production weakens the security level of every transaction.

I'll just cut you off there as you are mistaken. Provided the network is balanced, having 3 minute blocks is just as secure as 10 minute blocks. This premise you need to wait "60 minutes" for a valid confirmation is a misnomer. You have to wait a certain number of blocks, and a certain number of minutes to reduce the likelihood of a double spend down to something that is as likely as a meteor hitting you. How many blocks, how many minutes depends on the implementation. 3 blocks and/or 10 minutes is reasonably secure for most businesses in SolidCoin. People may want to do 5 blocks and 15 minutes for a little extra security.

The current difficulty of the chain does not equal security, it just increases the COST to attack the network. The bitcoin network can currently be forked for about 15 million US dollars. Deepbit is approaching the power needed to do this and it won't need to spend a cent to do it. So tell me how secure are 10 minute blocks? It completely depends on the network balance.

On the other hand we are seeing many benefits from having a high block rate, people love the ease of banking on the SolidCoin network because it's fast and reliable with small variance.

So to sum it up for those who don't care to read it all. SolidCoin is just as secure as Bitcoin (and soon will be more secure due to development environment improvements, ie reduce chances of mybitcoin.com happening again), yet it's also faster and more stable.

AnonymousBat

Activity: 111
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 25, 2011, 06:00:14 AM

For some reason I'm constantly getting "problem communicating with bitcoin RPC" when using the various mining tools.

It'll kick in for a few seconds and give me a hash rate, and then die for a period of time, it comes back and goes. So it's communicating but keeps dying.
Anonymous

August 25, 2011, 06:15:36 AM

Not some crap copy of Bitcoin meant to pump and dump your greedy pockets.

Have you seen ixcoin and i0coin in the past few weeks?

ixcoin = 1 person holding 500 000 coins

i0coin = a few miners holding all the coins and increasing the difficulty to unnaffordable levels.

SolidCoin = there are almost no people with massive coin holdings and fair rewards rather than some miners getting everything. What you do get is fairly earned.

ie solidcoin is an attempt to give people a real alternative. The first 30 000 coins are all bounties and the commmunity had donated another 6000 or more. Thats not the sign of a pump and dump its the sign of a healthy community.
digger

Activity: 322

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2011, 09:15:01 AM

I think when a coin published, the first difficult should begin with 256 or higher.

if from 1, the first some people will collect too many coins easily.

doge pool: http://dog.ltcoin.net ,yac pool: http://yac.ltcoin.net ,bbq pool: http://bbq.ltcoin.net ,Litecoin pool, http://ltcoin.net dig feathercoin , http://fc.ltcoin.net bitbar pool: http://btb.ltcoin.net wdc pool: http://wdc.ltcoin.net
Grouver (BtcBalance)

Activity: 530
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2011, 09:25:18 AM

I cannot download the windows client for some reason.
Its saying the download got interrupted in Chrome and in Firefox it says the source is not longer available.

CoinHunter (OP)

View Profile
August 25, 2011, 09:40:51 AM

Just want to update that Linux binaries (32bit and 64bit) have been uploaded, as well as a universal Mac / OSX binary.

CoinHunter (OP)

View Profile
August 25, 2011, 09:43:26 AM

I cannot download the windows client for some reason.
Its saying the download got interrupted in Chrome and in Firefox it says the source is not longer available.

Working ok here, I'll move the server to something more reliable soon and host all downloads natively.

Lorna Morgan

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

I like Bitcoin, Monero and BCash

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2011, 09:45:54 AM

development, nice, it's sign of a real alternative coin, I think I will stop calling solidcoin a gambling app. Tongue

That's what I believe, well said.

i0coin = a few miners holding all the coins and increasing the difficulty to unnaffordable levels.

SolidCoin = there are almost no people with massive coin holdings and fair rewards rather than some miners getting everything. What you do get is fairly earned.

ie solidcoin is an attempt to give people a real alternative. The first 30 000 coins are all bounties and the commmunity had donated another 6000 or more. Thats not the sign of a pump and dump its the sign of a healthy community.

I'm fully behind SC. Well done @CoinHunter this seems to really have legs.  Wink

Love Lorna xxx want to show your appreciation? 18wniNA6JfAVdZJi8if9k4JEHZgEu6kNRA
Lorna Morgan Facebook | Twitter
ThomasV
Legendary

Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2011, 09:46:48 AM

IMPORTANT SECURITY WARNING : DO NOT USE THE SOLIDCOIN BINARIES. COMPILE FROM SOURCE CODE.

Note: my personal opinion is that Solidcoins are a scam, but I understand that some users
may disagree with me on that, and this opinion has nothing to do with the present warning.

If you want to test SolidCoin, you are very likely to also own Bitcoins, and this makes you an ideal target for wallet theft.

When someone releases their code with a binary, there is no proof that the binary that was released corresponds to the code they provide.
The binary could contain malicious code that steals your wallet.

Therefore, if you want to test this software, I strongly advise you compile the code on your machine, and to make sure that the code has been independently reviewed.

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks
CoinHunter (OP)

View Profile
August 25, 2011, 10:13:26 AM

Note: my personal opinion is that Solidcoins are a scam, but I understand that some users
may disagree with me on that, and this opinion has nothing to do with the present warning.

If you want to test SolidCoin, you are very likely to also own Bitcoins, and this makes you an ideal target for wallet theft.

It's actually rather easy for people to test whether Bitcoin's wallet.dat will be accessed. There are sandboxes, string searches, etc. You might as well say "never run another binary again because it may steal your wallet". The fact is the bitcoin binaries themselves can even steal your wallet, better not run the client at all. Smiley

Or "Leave your computer turned off - only when it's on can the wallet be stolen!!"

You are right that people should be hesitant to trust anything new, trust takes time to build. However your alarmist attitude sounds more like someone who is afraid of what SolidCoin represents to Bitcoin. Also with wallet encryption coming up in the bitcoin client (already in SolidCoin) I hope people become less concerned with their wallets being stolen as they will be useless to thieves and hackers.

ThomasV
Legendary

Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2011, 10:23:58 AM

It's actually rather easy for people to test whether Bitcoin's wallet.dat will be accessed. There are sandboxes, string searches, etc. You might as well say "never run another binary again because it may steal your wallet". The fact is the bitcoin binaries themselves can even steal your wallet, better not run the client at all. Smiley

Or "Leave your computer turned off - only when it's on can the wallet be stolen!!"

You are right that people should be hesitant to trust anything new, trust takes time to build. However your alarmist attitude sounds more like someone who is afraid of what SolidCoin represents to Bitcoin.

The official bitcoin client code and binaries are scrutinized by a large community; any attempt to introduce a trojan would be spotted immediately.
In contrast, you are alone releasing solidcoin, you can do pretty much what you want.

Again, I am not saying that this particular solidcoin update does contain a trojan.
I am saying that people who execute a binary released by a single individual are exposing themselves.

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks
doublec
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 25, 2011, 10:28:14 AM

The official bitcoin client code and binaries are scrutinized by a large community; any attempt to introduce a trojan would be spotted immediately.
In contrast, you are alone releasing solidcoin, you can do pretty much what you want.
At some point the bitcoin binary is compiled and released by a single individual. It's possibly for them to slip something in that steals wallets too and hard for anyone to find out. How are you to know they source they compiled the binary with is the source that was scrutinized?
Anonymous

August 25, 2011, 10:30:06 AM

That's what I believe, well said.

I'm fully behind SC. Well done @CoinHunter this seems to really have legs.  Wink

We are fully behind you too Lorna.  Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: