Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 12:16:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: HASHFAST warranty just TEN DAYS after delivery  (Read 6450 times)
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2013, 02:01:27 AM

Who the hell fell for this garbage!! Ten day warranty because people may overclock, basing specs on overclocking.. Rofl

10 days is a fairly standard DOA warranty.  HashFast isn't going to pick up the tab for miners who run their hardware too fast/hot.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
RickJamesBTC

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 06:46:33 AM

Who the hell fell for this garbage!! Ten day warranty because people may overclock, basing specs on overclocking.. Rofl

10 days is a fairly standard DOA warranty.  HashFast isn't going to pick up the tab for miners who run their hardware too fast/hot.

STFU troll. Nobody believes anything you say. Standard warranty? You're fooling yourself. Anything I buy in electronics has at least a 90 day warranty. Are you trying to compare these sales to the shit someone may claim as a "warranty" on ebay? That is not a warranty. Neither is this. This is a scam.
gmaxwell
Legendary

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8411

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2013, 09:06:03 AM

Standard warranty?

Uh. I may be remembering incorrectly, but I believe most states have implied warranties of fitness and merchantability which are difficulty to wave, and cannot be waved for goods sold as new with a duration of something like 30 days.

The rationale goes— "You sold me a Bitcoin miner, but instead gave me a device that works for 10 days and quit. That wasn't a Bitcoin miner, it's a defective Bitcoin miner", and no amount of hand-waving about contract terms changes that fact that what you purported to sell was a miner rather than a defective miner. When you sell someone a "bitcoin miner", for the purpose of mining bitcoin and you know what it's to be used for and they know whats its to be used for and you know that they know that you know what its to be used for— well then it darn well ought to actually be useful for that purpose and one that fails in 10 days isn't by any reasonable standard.

Of course, someone can write anything they like into a contract... but if the contract holds up or if their business can survive the loss of goodwill that would come from screwing people with a defective product— are both other matters.

I'd be pretty surprised if anyone considered ten days "standard"... and, in fact, it seems to be so unusual that googling for the phrase "ten day warranty" brings up this thread (amid a sea of other pages talking about 90 day standard warranties, with 10 days to return RMAed goods).
Xian01
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067

Christian Antkow

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 03:45:02 PM

10 days is a fairly standard DOA warranty. 

*Citation needed
Bicknellski

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 10:00:29 AM

10 day money back guarantee...

90 day warranty...

Never seen a 10 day warranty on anything electronic let alone anything at all, most are 1 year right?

---------

Why not just admit what is being sold not unlike the BeagleBoard. Most ASIC's should come with NO WARRANTY to be brutally honest given the testing that is not done on the units being offered across the board.

BeagleBoard Hardware Design

These design materials are *NOT SUPPORTED* and DO NOT constitute a reference design. Only “community” support is allowed via resources at BeagleBoard.org/discuss.

THERE IS NO WARRANTY FOR THE DESIGN MATERIALS, TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW. EXCEPT WHEN OTHERWISE STATED IN WRITING THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND/OR OTHER PARTIES PROVIDE THE DESIGN MATERIALS “AS IS” WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. THE ENTIRE RISK AS TO THE QUALITY AND PERFORMANCE OF THE DESIGN MATERIALS IS WITH YOU. SHOULD THE DESIGN MATERIALS PROVE DEFECTIVE, YOU ASSUME THE COST OF ALL NECESSARY SERVICING, REPAIR OR CORRECTION.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
jspielberg

Activity: 490
Merit: 255

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 12:49:04 PM
Last edit: December 24, 2013, 02:30:02 PM by jspielberg

The difference being that a beagle board is considered disposable at 150 bucks and readily available.  The baby jet is 50 to 60 BTC and not easy to come by a replacement.   Other than that, I agree.  

Even before the exchange rate jump, the pricing of the item was not in the disposable category.
jspielberg

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 02:28:17 PM

the HF chip will be overclockable hence this is a risk that they have to build into the warranty.

That makes no logical sense.   Also, it has nothing whatsoever to do with KnC.  Intel CPUs can be overclocked too, and they come with a three year warranty. http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-009862.htm

sure it does. HF only needs to meet the competition in the asic mining space.  not Intel.  Avalon had no warranties whatsoever and that hasn't stopped ppl from buying their products.

and OC'ing needs to be considered as it is abusive to the equipment as we all know.

We can easily offer a one year warranty for the box, psu, and module (board).

The chip is trickier. We need some way to discourage overclockers from toasting their chips. Offering unlimited replacements for free would be a bad business model.

I'm not suggesting that people overclock this or any chip. But we all know - some people do overclock. Let's not pretend they don't.

I still pledge to have an updated warranty by EOD.

Amy

VP Engineering
HashFast

Amy -

Did the easy one year extension for all parts but the chip get put into effect?

ninjarobot

Activity: 761
Merit: 500

Mine Silent, Mine Deep

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 05:40:10 PM

We need some way to discourage overclockers from toasting their chips.

Especially since the chip runs @ 76 degrees *underclocked* according to HF. Combine that with their warranty statement on ambient operating temperature:

Hashfast shall have no obligations for breach of warranty if the alleged defect or non-conformance is found to have occurred as a result of operation in an ambient temperature other than 5-22 degrees Celsius

Also goes to show how much trust they put in their own thermal throttling system built into the chip:

Die has built in thermal controls that allow the chip to pushed to the edge without damaging cores.
jspielberg

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 06:24:31 PM
Last edit: December 24, 2013, 09:02:52 PM by jspielberg

Getting a year warranty which was mentioned as something they could do easily by their VP of Engineering on the PCB would be worth something.
eroxors
Legendary

Activity: 924

Think. Positive. Thoughts.

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2013, 10:11:20 PM

A 10 day warranty on a new electronic device is bizarre, makes you wonder about the hardware.

Refurbished electronics typically come with a 90-day warranty and most new components come with a 1-year warranty.

Weird.

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2013, 06:40:28 AM

Standard warranty?

Uh. I may be remembering incorrectly, but I believe most states have implied warranties of fitness and merchantability which are difficulty to wave, and cannot be waved for goods sold as new with a duration of something like 30 days.

The rationale goes— "You sold me a Bitcoin miner, but instead gave me a device that works for 10 days and quit. That wasn't a Bitcoin miner, it's a defective Bitcoin miner", and no amount of hand-waving about contract terms changes that fact that what you purported to sell was a miner rather than a defective miner. When you sell someone a "bitcoin miner", for the purpose of mining bitcoin and you know what it's to be used for and they know whats its to be used for and you know that they know that you know what its to be used for— well then it darn well ought to actually be useful for that purpose and one that fails in 10 days isn't by any reasonable standard.

Of course, someone can write anything they like into a contract... but if the contract holds up or if their business can survive the loss of goodwill that would come from screwing people with a defective product— are both other matters.

I'd be pretty surprised if anyone considered ten days "standard"... and, in fact, it seems to be so unusual that googling for the phrase "ten day warranty" brings up this thread (amid a sea of other pages talking about 90 day standard warranties, with 10 days to return RMAed goods).

You have (perhaps intentionally) left out the key word from my post:

10 days is a fairly standard DOA warranty. 

I've now put that key word in GIANT FUCKING RED LETTERS to better penetrate your jaundiced eye.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defective_on_arrival

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
amer

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 07:13:33 AM

It's too bad there is no way to detect that this chip has been overclocked. No warranty is unfortunate. I would like to hear more about this chip replacement program.

tips: 1amerApYUVjsKSuVUtfjxaoi7QXG7Zwao
RickJamesBTC

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 09:47:32 AM

$5000 electronic devices are not sold with doa warranties assclown. Like I said earlier, only used equipment sellers offer that.

I like that ice has a glowing ignore button.
jspielberg

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 02:05:39 PM

Ice -

Welcome back!  Happy Holidays....
I don't know if you are associated with HF or have any communications channels with them, but if you could remind Amy of her pledge to easily extend the warranty to one year for the non-golden nonce components like the hashing module, it would be greatly appreciated.

The chip is trickier. We need some way to discourage overclockers from toasting their chips. Offering unlimited replacements for free would be a bad business model.

I'm not suggesting that people overclock this or any chip. But we all know - some people do overclock. Let's not pretend they don't.

Amy

VP Engineering
HashFast

I have highlighted the important parts of the pledge.

Thanks...
gmaxwell
Legendary

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8411

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2013, 05:12:16 PM

Uhhh. If they don't ship with a firmware that enables this, very, very few people will perform the low level hacking to do so.
Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 06:54:45 PM

Doesn't Eurpoean consumer protection law require a 2 year warranty on electronic goods?  I believe HF offers their products for sale to European customers.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Apple-Warranty-EU-year-change,23072.html

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
SolarSilver
Legendary

Activity: 1112

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 07:03:03 PM

Doesn't Eurpoean consumer protection law require a 2 year warranty on electronic goods?  I believe HF offers their products for sale to European customers.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Apple-Warranty-EU-year-change,23072.html

Only if HF is selling from a European reseller or has a European division or department.

Stuff you import yourself through customs is not protected by this. Otherwise no Chinese company would ever ship to Europe.
jspielberg

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 03:14:35 AM

Shamelessly self-quoting/bumping for visibility.lll

Amy

VP Engineering
HashFast

I have highlighted the important parts of the pledge.
Hashfast --- please follow through on your pledge and extend the PCB warranty to 1year.

Thanks...
GalaxyASIC

Activity: 130
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 05:44:48 PM

Amy

VP Engineering
HashFast

Still no reply from HashFast about providing reasonable warranty of 12mo

HashFast REFUND ! I am a HashFast's Batch 1 customer and I want full 100% BTC refund.
jspielberg

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 09:30:16 PM

Amy

VP Engineering
HashFast

Still no reply from HashFast about providing reasonable warranty of 12mo

No... it seems quite clear, that they won't warrant anything they have produced themselves for more than a handful of days.  Speaks volumes for potential future customers (among all the other shennanigans HF has been pulling).
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: