Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 12:31:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Release of open source point of sale system (w/ video)  (Read 6517 times)
joepie91

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 14, 2011, 02:17:19 PM

I hate to say this but this still suffers from all the issues that previous suggestions for point of sale stuff has, in that it takes a great deal of time comparatively to confirm the transaction is actually valid. People aren't going to wait around for a quarter of an hour after buying a stick of gum to wait for a transaction to verify.
If you actually watched the video you would have noticed that the actual payment was recognized within seconds, and if you did any cursory research on the subject you would have realized it's infeasible to do a double spend for a small amount and as such it is very safe to accept small transactions without confirmations.

What do you think, how cheap could a hardware solution based on this be put together? I'm thinking old, used laptop (maybe an Eee PC) plus smallish external monitor. Maybe all in all for $150? Maybe less? .. I think we could reach the point, where this is a straightforward and

Jav, your work is really exciting. but the space is a problem. If a merchant has to find a place for another PC or Laptop in their store, it will not be the ultimate solution.

Many stores are already switching to cash registers with displays for the customer, at least in the Netherlands, so things like this could easily be integrated into existing POS platforms.

This seems like a great solution for smaller stores, but larger stores or chains that use custom POS platforms would benefit a lot from a standardized 'POS API' (as opposed to the usual Bitcoin API) that also allows for communication with a remote Bitcoin client (which will be the case in a store with multiple payment terminals/counters, where everything has to be handled by one central 'cash register server'), and that can be used without a GUI frontend - effectively making it very easy to implement Bitcoin into an existing POS solution without any knowledge about the underlying system.

Like my post(s)? 12TSXLa5Tu6ag4PNYCwKKSiZsaSCpAjzpu Smiley
Quote from: hawks5999
I just can't wait for fall/winter. My furnace never generated money for me before. I'll keep mining until my furnace is more profitable.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jtimon
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2011, 05:20:28 PM

Many stores are already switching to cash registers with displays for the customer, at least in the Netherlands, so things like this could easily be integrated into existing POS platforms.

This seems like a great solution for smaller stores, but larger stores or chains that use custom POS platforms would benefit a lot from a standardized 'POS API' (as opposed to the usual Bitcoin API) that also allows for communication with a remote Bitcoin client (which will be the case in a store with multiple payment terminals/counters, where everything has to be handled by one central 'cash register server'), and that can be used without a GUI frontend - effectively making it very easy to implement Bitcoin into an existing POS solution without any knowledge about the underlying system.

Also, a small shop doesn't need a pc nor a laptop. Smartphones with dual core are sold today. You don't even need dual-core for this. A small screen and a smartphone is something any business can afford today. Two years from now this can easily and cheaply be mainstream.

2 different forms of free-money: Freicoin (free of basic interest because it's perishable), Mutual credit (no interest because it's abundant)
joepie91

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 14, 2011, 07:30:17 PM

Also, a small shop doesn't need a pc nor a laptop. Smartphones with dual core are sold today. You don't even need dual-core for this. A small screen and a smartphone is something any business can afford today. Two years from now this can easily and cheaply be mainstream.

I would say, though, that it'd be rather strange to see a smartphone mounted onto a counter, displaying a QR code Smiley

Actually, you could even get a cheap Android tablet or ebook reader (the latter will work better) from some random Chinese store, and run a simple application on it that will wirelessly connect to your 'payment server', and show the appropriate QR code and payment information. You can get a low-spec Android tablet for <$100 from China, and some simple ebook readers with epaper sell for about $100-$150 (with WiFi capability).

Like my post(s)? 12TSXLa5Tu6ag4PNYCwKKSiZsaSCpAjzpu Smiley
Quote from: hawks5999
I just can't wait for fall/winter. My furnace never generated money for me before. I'll keep mining until my furnace is more profitable.
Mike Hearn
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1129

View Profile
October 15, 2011, 04:13:32 PM

Yeah I think an Android tablet app is a good way to implement this. The bonus is, it's a touch screen, so you can have the user interact with it in interesting ways. Like, after the payment, you could have "And now scan this to collect a coupon!" or some way to sign up for news from your favorite merchants, get a link to their website, select a delivery address using a touchscreen map, etc. Lots of possibilities.

But this video is very cool.
jtimon
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2011, 06:21:27 AM

I was thinking in an smartphone with hdmi connected to a screen, but yes, I tablet would be more powerful.

2 different forms of free-money: Freicoin (free of basic interest because it's perishable), Mutual credit (no interest because it's abundant)
crawdaddy

Activity: 62
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 26, 2011, 12:05:04 AM

I hate to say this but this still suffers from all the issues that previous suggestions for point of sale stuff has, in that it takes a great deal of time comparatively to confirm the transaction is actually valid. People aren't going to wait around for a quarter of an hour after buying a stick of gum to wait for a transaction to verify.

Some thing like this would not take up much room. http://www.hengyu-tech.com.cn/db_picture/pro1/201010310840081320.jpg

"The only security men can have for their political liberty, consists in keeping their money in their own pockets".
Lysander Spooner
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2011, 01:19:38 PM

Some thing like this would not take up much room. http://www.hengyu-tech.com.cn/db_picture/pro1/201010310840081320.jpg
This forum supports embedding images. I bet you find the right button to do it.

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
crawdaddy

View Profile
October 26, 2011, 01:54:25 PM

This forum supports embedding images. I bet you find the right button to do it.

Thank You, LOL

"The only security men can have for their political liberty, consists in keeping their money in their own pockets".
Lysander Spooner
crawdaddy

View Profile
November 02, 2011, 06:30:42 PM

Hi there! Today I'm releasing the first version of a simple Bitcoin point of sale application. It was mainly written to demonstrate the use of the green address feature, but can also be used independently of that. It is written in Python and works in combination with a standard Bitcoin client. It is targeted at standard PC hardware, e.g. laptop (used by merchant) + external monitor (facing the customer).

Here is a video of the system in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o84SfChQ-S8 . (Update: Here is another, shorter video of just the payment being performed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNpcf9rSBIk .)

More details and explanations, the code and a number of screenshots can be found on the project's page on GitHub: https://github.com/javgh/greenaddress-pos-tools .

Looking forward to your feedback! :-)

Do you have a update on this project?

Thank You

Lysander Spooner
jav (OP)

Activity: 249
Merit: 251

View Profile
November 02, 2011, 09:21:19 PM

Thank You

No, I'm afraid there hasn't been much happening regarding this project. Although I have recently started to collaborate with someone (user ne1), who would like to combine this with an Arduino, to get some hardware projects going. Should be interesting to see what comes out of that.

To the tablet comments here: I agree, a cheap Android tablet seems like a good hardware choice.

Hive, a beautiful wallet with an app platform for Mac OS X, Android and Mobile Web. Translators wanted! iOS and OS X devs see BitcoinKit. Tweets @hivewallet. Donations appreciated at 1HLRg9C1GsfEVH555hgcjzDeas14jen2Cn.
crawdaddy

View Profile
November 06, 2011, 04:35:40 PM

Thank You

No, I'm afraid there hasn't been much happening regarding this project. Although I have recently started to collaborate with someone (user ne1), who would like to combine this with an Arduino, to get some hardware projects going. Should be interesting to see what comes out of that.

To the tablet comments here: I agree, a cheap Android tablet seems like a good hardware choice.

Before I ask my question I must first admit I'm not a programmer, but a business man.

Could a idea like yours be integrated into, lets say, a open source POS software system?

The reason I ask is because the only way that Bitcoin becomes widely accepted (in my opinion) is if it can be accepted along with credit/debt cards without the need of additional software or equipment.

It is easier to sell someone a POS system, then it is a new currency 

Lysander Spooner
jav (OP)

View Profile
November 07, 2011, 07:58:48 PM

Could a idea like yours be integrated into, lets say, a open source POS software system?

I think that should be possible.

The reason I ask is because the only way that Bitcoin becomes widely accepted (in my opinion) is if it can be accepted along with credit/debt cards without the need of additional software or equipment.

I am not sure what exactly you have in mind here. Your requirement is no additional equipment as well as no additional software? That seems tricky (?). But I'm not very familiar with current POS software systems and what kind of setups are in use today.

Hive, a beautiful wallet with an app platform for Mac OS X, Android and Mobile Web. Translators wanted! iOS and OS X devs see BitcoinKit. Tweets @hivewallet. Donations appreciated at 1HLRg9C1GsfEVH555hgcjzDeas14jen2Cn.
crawdaddy

View Profile
November 08, 2011, 01:08:28 AM

I am not sure what exactly you have in mind here. Your requirement is no additional equipment as well as no additional software? That seems tricky (?). But I'm not very familiar with current POS software systems and what kind of setups are in use today.

Sorry, i was referring to the idea that some have about building "credit card" processing machines that process just bitcoin transactions.

It seems easier to sell a small business a POS system then a $200 piece of equipment just to process bitcoins. 

Lysander Spooner
jav (OP)

View Profile
November 08, 2011, 08:56:38 AM

Sorry, i was referring to the idea that some have about building "credit card" processing machines that process just bitcoin transactions.

It seems easier to sell a small business a POS system then a $200 piece of equipment just to process bitcoins. 

I'm curious: why do you think that would be easier? That "credit card" processing machine will cost something as well, won't it? And if the solution here can be deployed on a cheap Android tablet where it might be possible to hit a price point of around $100 it seems to me those two options are pretty much the same in terms of up front cost.

And would a small business really be that concerned about a one time cost of $100 if they wanted to try Bitcoin? Actually, it might be interesting to explore alternative businesss models here. Maybe if - for example - Bit-Pay would offer an affiliate model, you could give a tablet like this for free to a small shop, help them get set up and everything and try to get your money back through affiliate earnings. It might be a little early for this kind of setup (probably not enough people would pay with Bitcoin at this point to make enough in affiliate earnings), but it might be an option at some point.

jtimon
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2011, 08:52:16 AM

I'm curious: why do you think that would be easier? That "credit card" processing machine will cost something as well, won't it? And if the solution here can be deployed on a cheap Android tablet where it might be possible to hit a price point of around $100 it seems to me those two options are pretty much the same in terms of up front cost.

Even cheaper.

http://venturebeat.com/2011/10/26/aakash-android-tablet-exclusive/

$60 without subsidies.
And we know these things tend to get cheaper...
I still think that a smartphone could be enough.

jav (OP)

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 08:47:57 AM

This project had been dormant for a while, but I reused it now for a technology demo on how a Bitcoin payment via NFC might look like. See this thread for more details and a video of the solution: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=395469.0 .

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: