Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 09:11:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: NSA can rob peoples BTC wallet in new devices such as the iphone  (Read 2541 times)
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4074
Merit: 1303

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 12:02:43 PM

It honestly makes me sad that we have this whole generation of people growing up that find conspiracy sites and take them at face value without even using their brains to question their validity properly, but that's the Internet for you, it's power to spread as much mis-information as real information.

Der Speigel, the Guardian, NYT,  WSJ etc are hardly conspiracy sites. The recent iPhone and WiFi news regarding NSA capabilities was reported there. It makes me sad when facts are ignored or dismissed.

If the capability is there it is naive to think only the NSA will have it for long.
Arksun

Activity: 616
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 12:49:41 PM

It honestly makes me sad that we have this whole generation of people growing up that find conspiracy sites and take them at face value without even using their brains to question their validity properly, but that's the Internet for you, it's power to spread as much mis-information as real information.

Der Speigel, the Guardian, NYT,  WSJ etc are hardly conspiracy sites. The recent iPhone and WiFi news regarding NSA capabilities was reported there. It makes me sad when facts are ignored or dismissed.

If the capability is there it is naive to think only the NSA will have it for long.

Who said anything about The Guardian newspaper website being a conspiracy site?.  Tell me, does it also make you sad when said supposed facts get twisted beyond all recognition into some alternative 'truth'?
Too many blind extremist views, at either end, not enough thinking and common sense...

▄▄█▀▀█▄▄
  ▄▄█████▄▄█████▄▄
████  ███  ███  ████
  ▀▀█████▀▀█████▀▀

▀█▄▄  ▀▀█▄▄█▀▀   ▄▄█
 ▀▀███▄▄     ▄▄██▀██
     ▀███   ██▀  ▄█
██     ██  ██ ▄██▀██
▀██    ██  ███▀  ▄██
 ▀███▄▄██  ██ ▄███▀
    ▀▀███  ▀██▀▀
Just.Bet 

█▀▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄▄
DICE
LOTTERY
PLINKO
COIN FLIP
CRASH
WHEEL
▀▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄▄█
        ███████       ▄▄██▄
                  ▄▄███▀▀██▄
      ██████   ▄███████▄▄███▄
               ▀██  █████████▄
                ▀█████████▀▀██▄
████████████     ▀███▀▀███▄▄██▀
██  ████  ██      ▀██▄▄███▀▀
█████▀▀█████  ██   ▀██▀▀
█████▄▄█████
██  ████  ██   ██████
████████████
DECENTRALIZED
PROVABLY FAIR
ON CHAIN GAMES
█▀▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
PLAY NOW
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄▄█
[/center]
pening

Activity: 245

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 01:09:38 PM

No, but they do tend to mis-understand or mis-report the technical details for a non-technical audience.  An awful lot of the Snowden revelations are either not revelations only confirmation of what was widely known/suspected, and a lot of the rest is technically possible only on a small scale, but the newspapers don't outline any of this.  Some perspective is required.
yatsey87

Activity: 840
Merit: 509

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 03:15:25 PM

the NSA are not that special. so will people stop FUDDing the forums with government conspiracies.

if you want some bitcoin related evidence that NSA are hopeless. look at the DPR news. the NSA had to send DPR's wallet over to the UK's intelligence office to brute force the password. the NSA cant crack encryption, nor do they have the computer power or skill to bruteforce.

Really? You got a link to this?
visaco

Activity: 359

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 08:01:05 PM

can nsa steel my bitcoin if i can't turn off TMP 'trust computing"?

I have told you NEM will make you a millionaire and we have made it ...IOST is the new baby Money making machine.  keep an eye on this little Monster...
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 11:29:55 PM

can nsa steel my bitcoin if i can't turn off TMP 'trust computing"?

It's not completely clear what capabilities exist with which manufacturer's implementations of a TPM chip.

TPM is kind of neat in some ways, and provides some capabilities which really could be useful to more advanced distributed crypto-currency solutions (to my way of thinking) but they are opaque by their nature and by the nature of how design and  manufacture of chips tend to happen these days.  There is a pretty neat vid of someone grinding down one of these chips to have a deeper look inside floating around.  Very few people have the time and skill to do this kind of investigation unfortunately.  Even more unfortunate is that it is necessary.

Laymen, and even people who should know better, have a pretty dim understanding of certain things.  One of them is that it is computer algorithms that do much of the analysis of bulk data collections.  People tend to imagine other people looking through their data.  Of course this is not true (usually) but there is not much difference between my looking at message, or writing a program to look at it.  The big threat is that the data forms a dossier which can be leveraged to attack individuals in the future and thus provides a framework for enduring intimidation.

Another mis-conception which is more pertinent to this conversation is that whatever back-door methods which might exist would almost never be utilized,  Doing so would be dangerous since it is possible (though very tedious and technical) to monitor what happens on one's network.  If there are surreptitious means of leveraging the remote attestation related capabilities of a TPM chip and various other like techniques, it is likely that they would be used only under limited circumstances.  e.g., the target is both very high value and situated in a location where it is unlikely that they have deployed their own packet capture infrastructure or logic analyzers on their hardware or whatever.  I think that one of the many Snowden documents alluded to this issue though there have been so many that I've forgotten.  Anyway, it's obvious enough to someone with an understanding of some of the technology.

edit: add missing sentence for clarity.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4256
Merit: 4525

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 02:21:40 AM

the NSA are not that special. so will people stop FUDDing the forums with government conspiracies.

if you want some bitcoin related evidence that NSA are hopeless. look at the DPR news. the NSA had to send DPR's wallet over to the UK's intelligence office to brute force the password. the NSA cant crack encryption, nor do they have the computer power or skill to bruteforce.

You got to be kidding us, UK intelligence agency has more computing power to bruteforce a password then the NSA Huh

True.  Is there a source to this claim?

many people will think some stuff is fabricated if you simply give them one link.. so how about googleing "DPR GCHQ" and you will find many articles on the issue and you can do your own research to back up its validity.. that way i cannot be blamed for pointing you in the wrong direction if i have given you the key to all the directions to find the information..

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
U1TRA_L0RD

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

CAUTION: Angry Man with Attitude.

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 04:59:35 AM

The NSA are powerless, Anonymous hacking group can take them done but I see why not, they havent done shit in a year.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 06:54:12 AM

The NSA are powerless, Anonymous hacking group can take them done but I see why not, they havent done shit in a year.

Some script kiddies can hammer the NSA's web site into submission for a few hours.  That's what you mean by 'take them down'?  You go ahead and think what you like about the capabilities of the NSA, but, of course, the most common way to get one's ass kicked is to underestimate one's opponent.  For the sake of design, at least, my assumption is that the NSA has capabilities which would blow away almost everyone reading this note including most of the Bitcoin devs who may happen by.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
U1TRA_L0RD

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 06:57:41 AM

Android is safe, I have a encryption option that takes 2 hours to encrypt the whole device.
JekyllIsland

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 10:39:51 AM

The likelihood that the NSA is interested in stealing anyones bitcoin private keys is smaller than winning the lottery every month. Although that doesn't mean they don't have the means to do it, which I believe is the title of this thread if I’m not mistaken. Someone could figure out how to exploit these backdoors...which some have done in the past. Luckily they were presented as opposed to used.

Good thing the majority of security conscious people don't keep their coins on a phone anyway they use Armory, paper wallets, etc.
luqash3

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 06:59:31 PM

Oh that is a sorrowful news for all bitcoin holders. But still I have faith in bitcoins and I guess bitcoin will consider to enhance its security level further to assure the protection of bitcoin holders. By the way fraud is everywhere like credit cards or online banking is also full of risk. 
yatsey87

Activity: 840
Merit: 509

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 07:15:23 PM

Hahaha, come on, dude. Anonymous are a bunch of basement dwellers who DDOS websites.
U1TRA_L0RD

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 12:01:35 PM

Hahaha, come on, dude. Anonymous are a bunch of basement dwellers who DDOS websites.

Im sorry! lol I dont know anything about source coding, I read a book on compiling with C++ for dummies and got bored lol.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: