Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:00:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: OpenLeaks accepts Bitcoin  (Read 4026 times)
kseistrup (OP)

Activity: 566
Merit: 500

Unselfish actions pay back better

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2011, 03:07:36 PM

Hi,

Earlier today I emailed OpenLeaks to suggest that they start accepting Bitcoin donations, and got the following answer:

We know all about bitcoins Smiley  It is just that we have been extremely busy with other tasks and have not yet added them to our donation page, but that should be done soon.  If you are impatient, you can send some bitcoins to 12mnS4CWnrZoW7kSi7Ab8dEWTjbL5uDnn3 (temporary address).

Cheers,

Klaus Alexander Seistrup
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
February 27, 2011, 03:31:49 PM

Nice try Wink

genjix
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1071

View Profile
February 27, 2011, 03:34:33 PM

Nice try Wink

I doubt the OP is a scammer. He's made helpful posts in other threads.
kseistrup (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2011, 03:57:14 PM

Nice try Wink
No matter who posted the address above, you would have no ways of knowing where the bitcoins ended up at.

I can assure you that the citation is a direct quote from the email I received from Max @ OpenLeaks, but I cannot prove it.  I guess it would be better for everyone to wait for the correct (i.e., permanent) address to show up on OpenLeaks' website.

Cheers,

Klaus Alexander Seistrup
grondilu
Legendary

View Profile
February 27, 2011, 05:09:19 PM

I doubt the OP is a scammer. He's made helpful posts in other threads.

I was joking of course.

Mahkul

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Every saint has a past. Every sinner has a future.

View Profile
February 27, 2011, 05:35:04 PM

Next target: Wikileaks.
Drifter

Activity: 364

View Profile
February 27, 2011, 05:40:29 PM

When organizations like Openleaks and Anonymous begin accepting bitcoin, it's impossible to ignore that bitcoin has successfully taken root and will not die. This year is going to be big.

kseistrup (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2011, 05:50:22 PM

When organizations like Openleaks and Anonymous begin accepting bitcoin, it's impossible to ignore that bitcoin has successfully taken root and will not die. This year is going to be big.
Yeah, and EFFSmiley

Cheers,

Klaus Alexander Seistrup
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2011, 09:13:50 PM

Nice try Wink
No matter who posted the address above, you would have no ways of knowing where the bitcoins ended up at.

I can assure you that the citation is a direct quote from the email I received from Max @ OpenLeaks, but I cannot prove it.  I guess it would be better for everyone to wait for the correct (i.e., permanent) address to show up on OpenLeaks' website.

Cheers,

Yeah, I'm assume OP is fine, but it's terrible practice. If people get used to giving based on 3 party info there is going to be some major scamming eventually. Don't send to unverified addresses there is no recourse.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
kseistrup (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2011, 10:10:36 PM

Yeah, I'm assume OP is fine, but it's terrible practice. If people get used to giving based on 3 party info there is going to be some major scamming eventually. Don't send to unverified addresses there is no recourse.

You're quite right, I didn't use my brains…

Cheers,

Klaus Alexander Seistrup
SmokeTooMuch
Legendary

Activity: 860
Merit: 1021

View Profile
February 27, 2011, 10:41:48 PM

How shall Anonymous be able to accept donations ?

Date Registered: 2009-12-10 | I'm using GPG, pm me for my public key. | Bitcoin on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/btc
error

Activity: 588

View Profile
February 27, 2011, 11:00:34 PM

Anonymously?

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
Anonymous

February 28, 2011, 12:50:46 AM

Anonymously?

lol

Anonymous is not an organisation its more like cat herding. Would be more appropriate if 4chan started accepting bitcoin - maybe in return they would remove some of the advertising.
Drifter

Activity: 364

View Profile
February 28, 2011, 02:53:57 AM

I didn't mean you could pay anon's paycheck, just that the news platform known that anon would use, takes bitcoin donations. However they use it is up to them, however I doubt they don't communicate/organize and doubt they wouldn't share the wealth if it did build.

Cryptoman

Activity: 726

View Profile
February 28, 2011, 03:05:52 AM

It's also a terrible practice to have the Charitable Donations page in the wiki editable.  Someone (sirius?) should do something about that.

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history." --Gandhi
grondilu
Legendary

View Profile
February 28, 2011, 08:24:37 AM

A first it seemed weird to me too, that an "organisation" such as Anonymous could accept donations.

On second thought, when you donate, you give bitcoins to whoever has made the website available, providing you use the bitcoin address that is actually displayed on this website.  So it does make sense.  You reward whoever has published the news you read.

ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
February 28, 2011, 10:18:15 AM

It's also a terrible practice to have the Charitable Donations page in the wiki editable.

I removed the receiving addresses from that wiki page. There's no legitimate reason to have a donation-receiving address anywhere except on the organization's own website.
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
February 28, 2011, 10:00:57 PM

If you had the message from the OL guy be pgp signed (with an identity people trust is his) then it would be more likelly people would donate straight to the address on the quote instead of suspecting scam

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
f3ndot

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2011, 08:16:35 PM

If you had the message from the OL guy be pgp signed (with an identity people trust is his) then it would be more likelly people would donate straight to the address on the quote instead of suspecting scam

Max, as far as I know, always signs his emails. OP should post it here.

Personally, I think everyone should just be patient and wait for OpeanLeaks to get their ducks in a row. Don't want a crash to happen to that temporary address or something else in the haste of setting up OL.
kseistrup (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2011, 01:48:51 PM

Max, as far as I know, always signs his emails. OP should post it here.

Max didn't sign his two emails to me.

Personally, I think everyone should just be patient and wait for OpeanLeaks to get their ducks in a row.

I agree.

Cheers,

Klaus Alexander Seistrup
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: