Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:11:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: public record, case 13LA09619 won against BFL  (Read 11088 times)
PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1003

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 07:41:42 PM

Interesting details revealed?

http://www.reddit.com/user/orange_bucket
http://www.reddit.com/user/coinpositivedotcom
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1u4v0o/i_sued_bfl_in_kansas_jurisdiction_and_won/

One of them claims to be an Employee. Also claims something about hiring illegal immigrants?
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rammy2k2
Legendary

Activity: 1974

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 09:23:47 AM

U better shave your ass inaba!
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 09:33:48 AM

U better shave your ass inaba!

He won't need to...good ole Bubba will do that for him  Cheesy

Say hi to your bunk mate Josh  Shocked

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
Miner99er

Activity: 310
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 09:48:21 AM

Subbing to see where this goes. I'm sure quite a few of us would like some kind of refund for waiting a year+ (in my case) for some kind of product to be delivered.

Bought From Yochdogx2, Alexmat, SgtSpike, David_Benz, Beaflag VonRathburg, Slaveindebt, Cptmooseinc, Coinhoarder

Donations? SURE! 16foPr8FAjYXKL8ApQAzihnigXm1qNhi8Q

http://pyramining.com/referral/yfab9med7   
http://pyramining.com/referral/ahmc7en6z
http://pyramining.com/referral/pagndq4xc   
http://pyramining.com/referral/79b2gmrzx
http://pyramining.com/referral/e2ghz4asy
GlapLaw

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 02:59:19 PM

FYI - though this has been mentioned, it's worth repeating that a default judgment isn't precedential or indicative of the success of claims against BFL going forward. YMMV.

Source: I am a lawyer.
miaviator
Donator

Activity: 686
Merit: 519

It's for the children!

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2014, 03:15:28 PM

FYI - though this has been mentioned, it's worth repeating that a default judgment isn't precedential or indicative of the success of claims against BFL going forward. YMMV.

In what state/country?

Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2014, 03:21:56 PM

All states, miaviator.

After checking into it this, it looks like we've never actually been served directly.  We are investigating the issue further, but it explains why this is the first we've heard of it. We're still trying to figure out who they actually served (if anyone), but it apparently wasn't us.  Unfortunately, the legal system moves a bit slow.

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
GlapLaw

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 03:32:00 PM

In what state/country?

I'm based in New York, New York, though my practice is national. What I said is the law across the U.S., as far as I understand it.

No comment on this specific case or legal proceedings, just wanted people to be aware before they went bursting into court with this default judgment.
SantaMuerte

Activity: 42

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 04:08:56 PM

In what state/country?

I'm based in New York, New York, though my practice is national. What I said is the law across the U.S., as far as I understand it.

No comment on this specific case or legal proceedings, just wanted people to be aware before they went bursting into court with this default judgment.

BFL paid/employee     <---
GlapLaw

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 04:22:17 PM

In what state/country?

Me? That's not fair. I'm not even commenting on this specific case.

I'm saying that generally speaking, a default judgment, while a victory for the plaintiff in that specific case, isn't precedent for future cases. In other words, if Jim sues Bob for breach of contract, and Bob doesn't show up, Jim will get a default judgment and "win." If Gary then decides to sue Bob for breach of contract and Bob shows up, Gary can't wave around Jim's default judgment and say "Look! He already lost before so he should lose again!"

You don't have to believe me, but I have no horse in this race, I just do my best to educate people on some of the less obvious points of the legal system.
miaviator
Donator

It's for the children!

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2014, 04:39:02 PM

All states, miaviator.

After checking into it this, it looks like we've never actually been served directly.  We are investigating the issue further, but it explains why this is the first we've heard of it. We're still trying to figure out who they actually served (if anyone), but it apparently wasn't us.  Unfortunately, the legal system moves a bit slow.

Sorry Inaba I was quite vague.  I was asking where the poster was licensed to practice law.

miaviator
Donator

It's for the children!

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2014, 04:43:14 PM

In what state/country?

Lets point the arrow at the guy who's posts help BFL *(Captain obvious says that's you SantaMuerte )

If BFL manages un-mangle the case they could still prevail in court.  Bringing up this case while thinking it has precedence will waste your money and could hurt you in the end.

Bicknellski

Activity: 924

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 05:32:45 PM

Just keeping serving them suits to the same address... bet you get a few judgements like this. Probably have one too many mailboxes and can't track. Whoops.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
gbx

Activity: 226
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 03:19:19 PM

I'm saying that generally speaking, a default judgment, while a victory for the plaintiff in that specific case, isn't precedent for future cases. In other words, if Jim sues Bob for breach of contract, and Bob doesn't show up, Jim will get a default judgment and "win." If Gary then decides to sue Bob for breach of contract and Bob shows up, Gary can't wave around Jim's default judgment and say "Look! He already lost before so he should lose again!"

.. I just do my best to educate people on some of the less obvious points of the legal system.

Anything contained in the above post should NOT be taken to constitute the establishment of an Attorney-Client relationship. Anything in the above post should NOT be taken as legal advice, either generally, or for your specific situation. Anything contained in the above post should NOT be taken to indicate my opinion on any legal strategy or approach, or the viability of any legal claims.

So which is it?

I'd be more interested to hear your not-an-opinion-or-on the subject that BFL might have a shot at reopening this case.  On one hand, the address on their business license (official mailing address) is where you would think to send registered mail for service.  However, the place does have a website with an address on it.  So there's the common sense thing too...  what do the courts consider reasonable effort to contact in the legal world these days with email, internet, and google?
GlapLaw

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 05:23:47 PM

.. I just do my best to educate people on some of the less obvious points of the legal system.

Anything contained in the above post should NOT be taken to constitute the establishment of an Attorney-Client relationship. Anything in the above post should NOT be taken as legal advice, either generally, or for your specific situation. Anything contained in the above post should NOT be taken to indicate my opinion on any legal strategy or approach, or the viability of any legal claims.

So which is it?

I'd be more interested to hear your not-an-opinion-or-on the subject that BFL might have a shot at reopening this case.  On one hand, the address on their business license (official mailing address) is where you would think to send registered mail for service.  However, the place does have a website with an address on it.  So there's the common sense thing too...  what do the courts consider reasonable effort to contact in the legal world these days with email, internet, and google?

I don't believe there's conflict in what I said and what my sig says. I apologize if my posts give any other impression.

I am simply explaining that while a default judgment is valid and enforceable (though it may be challenged on specific grounds), it generally does not prevent a defendant from showing up in a subsequent lawsuit brought by a different party and contesting the suit.

In other words, a plaintiff winning a default judgment says very little about another potential plaintiff's chance of winning if defendant shows up in that subsequent plaintiff's case.

YMMV, as always.
joeventura

Activity: 854
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 09:05:33 PM

Interesting.  First I've heard of this... I wonder who they served (if anyone in BFL).  You know you really screwed up your "win" when the defendant first hears about a case on an unrelated 3rd party internet forum, heh.

Should be an open and shut case to get this re-opened and dismissed.

That train has left the station, the next step is about $20k being garnished from the Company Bank Account.

Start moving money around, lets make it a criminal felony case.

nagnagnag2

Activity: 142
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 12:53:57 PM

don't worry!

josh will have a response in two weeks time tm  Grin
rammy2k2
Legendary

Activity: 1974

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 01:05:25 PM

don't worry!

josh will have a response in two weeks time tm  Grin

yea, in about 2 weeks !  Grin Grin Grin
Bicknellski

Activity: 924

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 05:01:51 AM

In other words, a plaintiff winning a default judgment says very little about another potential plaintiff's chance of winning if defendant shows up in that subsequent plaintiff's case.

YMMV, as always.

It does if they can't get their shit together and figure out which "official" place they are a getting registered mail sent to. It looks clear that BFL seems to be blissfully unaware they were sent anything and this judgement was made. Either that or they lied and basically didn't bother showing up hoping that the case would go away without going to court.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1834

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 03:42:55 AM

Hmm, case hasn't been overturned....and it has been 15 days.

I am guessing they were out of luck in getting it overturned. Who will be the next successful litigant?
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: