Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 09:45:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [RESOLVED] Another Transaction Gone Sour (dalamchops and Garrett Burgwardt)  (Read 2528 times)
deslok

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

It's all about the game, and how you play it

View Profile
August 26, 2011, 02:00:40 AM

Used computers are a murky subject, so I'll just say that even seperating the bezel would have voided a new laptop's warranty from any manufacturer(except one very specific manufacturer).

On this note i don't know what manufacturer you're thinking of but i can dismantle my entire thinkpad without voiding the warentee every part is avilable as a CRU

"If we don't hang together, by Heavens we shall hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

If you found that funny or something i said useful i always appreciate spare change
1PczDQHfEj3dJgp6wN3CXPft1bGB23TzTM
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
dalamchops (OP)

Activity: 345

View Profile
August 26, 2011, 02:02:51 AM

Used computers are a murky subject, so I'll just say that even seperating the bezel would have voided a new laptop's warranty from any manufacturer(except one very specific manufacturer).

On this note i don't know what manufacturer you're thinking of but i can dismantle my entire thinkpad without voiding the warentee every part is avilable as a CRU

Pretty much all consumer lines. Business class laptops are a totally different story (caters to companies having their own IT guys)

I am just trying to figure out why Garrett thinks i am responsible for the entire cost of the damage, unless someone can tell me how $150 is not more than fair.
Garrett Burgwardt

Activity: 406
Merit: 256

View Profile
August 26, 2011, 02:04:39 AM

Why don't you two try and file the claim first before sitting here assigning blame this fighting may all be a waste of effort.

I can agree to that - file claim, see how that shakes out, extra reimbursement later?

I am just trying to figure out why Garrett thinks i am responsible for the entire cost of the damage.

Simply that the laptop arrived in a damaged state, you are responsible for packaging and shipping damages, and should have insured the package to avoid problems such as this.

-Garrett
dalamchops (OP)

View Profile
August 26, 2011, 02:05:01 AM

Why don't you two try and file the claim first before sitting here assigning blame this fighting may all be a waste of effort.

No insurance was purchased at addition expense.
Garrett Burgwardt

View Profile
August 26, 2011, 02:06:17 AM

AFAIK USPS gives 250 USD worth of insurance with every package, whether you pay extra or not.
pbj sammich

Activity: 272

Fighting Liquid with Liquid

View Profile
August 26, 2011, 02:06:33 AM

file the USPS claim, couldn't possibly hurt

I do agree that if there was a problem with the screen Garrett probably should have just stopped right then and there and notified dalamchops. That being said, barring USPS stepping up and paying for the damage, 50% seems fair on dalamchops part

dalamchops (OP)

View Profile
August 26, 2011, 02:06:51 AM

I can agree to that - file claim, see how that shakes out, extra reimbursement later?

I am just trying to figure out why Garrett thinks i am responsible for the entire cost of the damage.

Simply that the laptop arrived in a damaged state, you are responsible for packaging and shipping damages, and should have insured the package to avoid problems such as this.

-Garrett

If you can prove that my careful packaging was not up to standards, then let me know. Insurance is something that is mutually agreed upon, not something that is added for free as a given.
Hollie

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

This account was a fraudulent account.

View Profile
August 26, 2011, 02:09:16 AM

He declined/ not requested insurance thus he have to pay for the damages to the laptop

This account was a fraudulent account created by a girl in Melbourne, Australia. There is no point messaging this account, continue with reversing all paypal transactions.
Garrett Burgwardt

View Profile
August 26, 2011, 02:13:47 AM

I can't prove your packaging was poor because I didn't video the unpacking with today's newspaper in it, which I'm sure even then would barely be considered proof. I do have pictures of before I touched the screen, but apparently those aren't good enough. I tried something easy to do and safe to see if it was an easy problem to solve, and it wasn't, yet I'm being punished for that?

And for what it's worth, I did notify dalamchops about the screen before I opened it, I opened the bezel before he replied though, and the pictures I sent after that were missing the speck of dust (because again, I cleaned that while I was in there). I thought what I pointed out in the picture above was the dust but that could be wrong - what you can do is take a look at the exif data the pictures contain to see the time difference. Again, I can't prove this as much as you'd like because I didn't think it would be that big of a deal, or rather, I thought it was clear that this was a shipping problem and not something I did (why would I lie about breaking the screen to make him pay for it? I think my track record shows I'm an honest businessman and I wouldn't want to do something to jeopardize that).

-Garrett

EDIT: @Ninja, what? I did not ask for insurance because that is the shipper's responsibility. If asked whether I wanted it I would have certainly said yes, because it's all of what, 5 bucks?
pbj sammich

Activity: 272

Fighting Liquid with Liquid

View Profile
August 26, 2011, 02:14:12 AM

AFAIK USPS gives 250 USD worth of insurance with every package, whether you pay extra or not.

it appears the only "free" insurance from the USPS is for Expedited or overnight packages and that is $100 free, it's on the FAQ at USPS
Garrett Burgwardt

View Profile
August 26, 2011, 02:16:56 AM

it appears the only "free" insurance from the USPS is for Expedited or overnight packages and that is $100 free, it's on the FAQ at USPS

Guess I stand corrected, was looking for that (Whenever I've shipped things they have told me that things were insured for 200 by default, but that could very well have been because I was shipping out of country.
dalamchops (OP)

View Profile
August 26, 2011, 02:30:29 AM

I think i'll just leave the $150 offer up for 24 hours, you can decide to take it or not. I'm convinced that i shouldn't even do anything base on what everyone has said.

Please if anyone else think it's unfair of me, then please speak up.
Garrett Burgwardt

View Profile
August 26, 2011, 02:33:36 AM

Thinking over this whole thing, sure, 50% each way is fine. I still contend that opening the bezel wouldn't void any sort of warranty and that the laptop screen was damaged in shipping, but it's not that big a deal in the long run. Dalamchops has been courteous for the most part and as far as I know has been honest this whole time, and I think he's a good trader. Someone who should buy insurance and/or use UPS, and it's unfortunate that I had to get a faulty product to learn this lesson, but what has happened happened.

-Garrett

And to Dalamchops - sorry you're having bad luck with transactions - hopefully they go better for you in the future. I made an offer to the guy on ebay and couldn't get the price lowered, but got 2 day shipping at the same price, you can send 150 to the email address I've been conversing with you with for your half. Ugh, paypal Roll Eyes

dalamchops (OP)

View Profile
August 26, 2011, 02:36:46 AM

Thinking over this whole thing, sure, 50% each way is fine. I still contend that opening the bezel wouldn't void any sort of warranty and that the laptop screen was damaged in shipping, but it's not that big a deal in the long run. Dalamchops has been courteous for the most part and as far as I know has been honest this whole time, and I think he's a good trader. Someone who should buy insurance and/or use UPS, and it's unfortunate that I had to get a faulty product to learn this lesson, but what has happened happened.

-Garrett

And to Dalamchops - sorry you're having bad luck with transactions - hopefully they go better for you in the future. I made an offer to the guy on ebay and couldn't get the price lowered, but got 2 day shipping at the same price, you can send 150 to the email address I've been conversing with you with for your half. Ugh, paypal Roll Eyes

I will send you $160, to compensate for the fees, I am really trying to do what's right. I think we both learned a lesson to request (as a buyer), and offer (as a seller) insurance for something this delicate.
dalamchops (OP)

View Profile
August 26, 2011, 02:38:57 AM

payment sent.
Garrett Burgwardt

View Profile
August 26, 2011, 02:39:17 AM

If you send as a gift there shouldn't be fees, fyi Wink
dalamchops (OP)

View Profile
August 26, 2011, 02:40:45 AM

If you send as a gift there shouldn't be fees, fyi Wink

it's out of my pocket both ways i do it. I'm just glad we found a reasonable resolution to this.
indio007

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 26, 2011, 06:51:04 AM

Years ago , I used to ship high end stuff (500K+). UPS has 1000 page manuals on how to pack stuff for shipping. Any deviation pretty much absolves them from liability.

UPS abuses packages. I watched a worker crack boxes on the side of our loading dock like he was cracking eggs. He was pissed cause they where heavy.

Computers have to be surrounded info foam with at least 3 1/2 inches internal clearance on all sides. They can not move inside at all.

I believe UPS charges $1.25/$100 and there might be a deductible.

Although I can't help to wonder why anyone would take the screen apart if it was already broken. What would the point be to clean a broken screen?
Garrett Burgwardt

View Profile
August 26, 2011, 07:39:00 AM

Years ago , I used to ship high end stuff (500K+). UPS has 1000 page manuals on how to pack stuff for shipping. Any deviation pretty much absolves them from liability.

UPS abuses packages. I watched a worker crack boxes on the side of our loading dock like he was cracking eggs. He was pissed cause they where heavy.

Computers have to be surrounded info foam with at least 3 1/2 inches internal clearance on all sides. They can not move inside at all.

I believe UPS charges $1.25/$100 and there might be a deductible.

Although I can't help to wonder why anyone would take the screen apart if it was already broken. What would the point be to clean a broken screen?

Since this is resolved, this is just for fun;

again, I removed the cover on the screen to see if there was something between the protector and the screen that was causing the issue, and while I was there I swiped at the dust cause I may as well have since I was already in there - call me optimistic that I would fix it myself.

-Garrett
indio007

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 26, 2011, 09:17:48 AM

call me optimistic that I would fix it myself.

-Garrett

No worries. I have the same "issues". Obviously shipping ompanies aren't exactly gentle. I always get a kick out of "fragile" warnings.

They pretty much get ignored cause they are on every box! I had a shipping company actually shear the steel  bolts of an a Porche engine somehow.
Go figure.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: