News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Would you go to Pattaya?
Yes
No

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Pattaya  (Read 33957 times)
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2011, 05:15:26 AM

http://thailandlandofsmiles.com/2011/03/02/pattaya-jet-ski-scam

Make sure to also read the comments.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pattaya

Read it ALL!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2011, 03:05:54 PM

http://thailandlandofsmiles.com/2011/03/02/pattaya-jet-ski-scam

Make sure to also read the comments.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pattaya

Read it ALL!

The beaches are very dirty.  I prefer Phuket.

Somewhat better. http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=Phuket+vs+Pattaya

From what I have ascertained after gleaning from the various online sources, I envisioned a Bitcoin conference speaker's presentation after pulling an all-nighter in Pattaya: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzAXb7qCCAo (you'll enjoy this clip)

fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 26, 2011, 03:58:16 PM

I am concerned there is no polite way to discuss why I think Bruce choose Pattaya without
it ending poorly. So I just gave up in the other thread and decided people will have to decide
for themselves.
fcmatt
Legendary

View Profile
August 26, 2011, 04:04:21 PM

I am concerned there is no polite way to discuss why I think Bruce choose Pattaya without
it ending poorly. So I just gave up in the other thread and decided people will have to decide
for themselves.

Would trying to attract money launderers as investors in Bitcoin be one of the reasons perhaps?

That did not even cross my mind.
fcmatt
Legendary

View Profile
August 26, 2011, 04:09:50 PM

Why are you posting that?
etotheipi
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2011, 04:35:18 PM
Last edit: August 26, 2011, 05:26:31 PM by etotheipi

I absolutely love Thailand.  I've spent 6 weeks there, and I am mildly conversation in the Thai Language .  Yet, the one place my girlfriend and I never want to go again, is Pattaya.  We went there because it was close to Bangkok, but it was a huge mistake.  I should say I have nothing against homosexuals at all, but this place was disturbing.  Seeing 50 yr old men walking around in Speedos arms locked with a 15 year old boy, and the countless young boys and girls running around asking for money or making sexual gestures.  The beach seemed to be full of guys wearing speedos getting massages from Thai boys wearing speedos.  

I was looking forward to the BTC conference in Thailand, but I will have second thoughts if Pattaya is the choice location.  There's plenty of other beaches near Bangkok that would be appropriate.  Alternatively, it's a very short plane ride, or a $20 overnight train-ride to get to Chiang Mai, which I think is the best part of Thailand.  It's way in the North where it sometimes actually cools down, and it's even cheaper and the people are even friendlier.  

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2011, 05:11:35 PM

for themselves.

Would trying to attract money launderers as investors in Bitcoin be one of the reasons perhaps?

That did not even cross my mind.

it ending poorly.

Hence this poll and post, to discuss the ramifications of hosting a Bitcoin convention in Pattaya, leaving all other issues off the table in this thread. Sure, decades ago, hosting a convention in Las Vegas was not a good idea, being how it had a bad rap. I wonder how many start ups failed because they opted to hold their first convention in Las Vegas. I'm only bringing this issue to the forefront to make sure we're not repeating, or causing, the same mistakes. In this digital age, image is everything. Why fuck up a good thing--Bitcoin--because not enough thought was put into a certain venue. I'll offer up a fictitious analogy to state my case: The first NRA meetup in the woods went well, with 150 members participating, although most of those attending forgot to bring a video camera gun. See how easily mistakes can be made even when planned months in advanced?

The money laundering aspect can easily be done over the internet. Holding a convention in some local wouldn't need to take place to lock any deals. It's more the other overtones concerning Pattaya that have my feathers ruffed, although ML could be an issue as well.

Meatpile

Activity: 277
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 26, 2011, 05:24:54 PM

A crime occured in a country??? OH god lock down all the borders and dont ever let anyone go there again!

If people changed their lives based on the actions of the immoral, we would never do anything ever.

I can only assume Mr Wright would never go to such a place because he couldn't handle himself and would be fucking all the children in sight if he went there? Its called self control, use it.  And if you want to be slightly more proactive: if you see someone fucking a child, beat them physically.

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2011, 05:33:46 PM

A crime occured in a country??? OH god lock down all the borders and dont ever let anyone go there again!

If people changed their lives based on the actions of the immoral, we would never do anything ever.

I can only assume Mr Wright would never go to such a place because he couldn't handle himself and would be fucking all the children in sight if he went there? Its called self control, use it.  And if you want to be slightly more proactive: if you see someone fucking a child, beat them physically.

Some cities have more crimes than others. We're discussing the image issue. Pattaya seems to be the wrong choice for many reasons, not just crime. NYC could easily be eliminated on the crime issue alone. But NYC doesn't have an image problem when it comes to hosting a convention there. And either does Las Vegas, now, of which, I believe, is the number convention city in the world (correct me if I'm wrong--short on time to confirm).

etotheipi
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2011, 05:52:09 PM

Of all the great places in Thailand, Pattaya must be one of the worst choices possible.  It is really shitty (for reasons mentioned in my last post), and I've had locals in other cities there tell me not to go there due to the organized crime elements, among other things.

Seriously, Thailand is a phenomenal country for so many reasons:  there no other country you can go that simultaneously is so inexpensive, yet also relatively safe and has amazing people everywhere you go... except for Pattaya.  I'm sure there's other places that are shady too, but there's no reason to pick any of them.  If the beach is preference Phuket, Ko Phi Phi, or Hua Hin are excellent choices.  Phuket and Hua Hin are at least as easy to access as Pattaya, but without the reputation as child sex havens.

If beach isn't required, I think Chiang Mai should be first choice, which I believe is one of the best cities in the country, especially for tourists.  It's astoundingly cheap, it gets cool at night (unlike the rest of Thailand which is right next to the equator), it's a lot more laid back than the city-scape of Bangkok, and even after spending two weeks there I never met anyone I didn't like (besides other tourists).  There's also an airport for folks to fly into directly, or take an overnight air-conditioned sleeper train from Bangkok for $20 (I love the train). 

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
The_Duke

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

Lead Core BitKitty Developer

View Profile
August 26, 2011, 05:53:19 PM

The more I read about Bruce and his ideas about what constitutes a good conference, the more I see that Pattaya is the perfect place for Brucecon Bitcon.

NOT a member of the so called ''Bitcoin Foundation''. Choose Independence!

Donate to the BitKitty Foundation instead! -> 1Fd4yLneGmxRHnPi6WCMC2hAMzaWvDePF9 <-
Steve

Activity: 868
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2011, 05:54:28 PM

I liked Jeff Garzik's suggestion that major financial hubs would be ideal locations for bitcoin conferences.  NY, London, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Dubai.

(gasteve on IRC) Does your website accept cash? https://bitpay.com
Tasty Champa

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 26, 2011, 06:28:05 PM

I like Trannies.
someotherguy

Activity: 94

View Profile
August 26, 2011, 07:19:55 PM

I liked Jeff Garzik's suggestion that major financial hubs would be ideal locations for bitcoin conferences.  NY, London, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Dubai.

+1

We need to drive innovation in Bitcoin services though these public events.  We need to exchange information with financial market experts for both their needs and Bitcoins.  We need to reach out to the media in a meaningful way that will also benefit their readers/viewers.

We need a comprehensive plan.  And some have already communicated this basic idea on this forum.

evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
August 26, 2011, 07:37:21 PM

Clearly Pattaya is highly contentious. I see no reason to hold an event there, when so many other fantastic locations exist, both in Thailand (amazing country!) and elsewhere.

A conference is about networking, development, fun, and PR. All parts are important - and Pattaya seems terrible for that forth criteria, and if it is dangerous and super awkward, then it'll be terrible for the third as well.

Bruce - let's rethink the location.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2011, 07:46:47 PM

Clearly Pattaya is highly contentious. I see no reason to hold an event there, when so many other fantastic locations exist, both in Thailand (amazing country!) and elsewhere.

A conference is about networking, development, fun, and PR. All parts are important - and Pattaya seems terrible for that forth criteria, and if it is dangerous and super awkward, then it'll be terrible for the third as well.

Bruce - let's rethink the location.

+1

Thank you, evoorhees, for expressing your sentiment so clearly.

BitcoinStars.com

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 26, 2011, 08:01:47 PM

Love Phuket  Cool
thefussydutchman

Activity: 142
Merit: 100

BTC- Its not a bubble.

View Profile
August 26, 2011, 08:53:44 PM

why not just have it somewhere in Europe? Roll Eyes
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2011, 09:05:18 PM

Is the Bitcoin market dropping because of this Pattaya issue?

Tasty Champa

Activity: 84

View Profile
August 26, 2011, 09:16:53 PM

As your attorney I recommend opening up that main world map of nodes MagicalTux made.
Then find the most highly concentrated area of nodes and put the conference there.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: