News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Would you go to Pattaya?
Yes
No

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Pattaya  (Read 33955 times)
fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 04:27:04 PM

what is your definition of "trolling"?

Posting just to get reactions, of course. The definition of trolling goes back decades.

As far as I see it, besides belonging to the US far religious right there's no reason for anyone to have any opinions on one out of several places for a conference. If you personally don't like the place (I don't) - then don't go.

It seems to me you are posting just to get a reaction and not even considering how Pattaya could possibly, even just remotely,
be a poor choice for a Bitcoin Conference. How anyone cannot see that is beyond me.. and quite possibly be acting like a troll.

"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
defxor

Activity: 530
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 04:43:28 PM

Oh Come on. Just go up to this post by worldly, to take just one example. This person hasn't just done some search on "conferences in Pattaya" but has actually been there.

Can you find the other posts from people who live in Thailand and who say it's no major issue and it's a good place due to the communications anyway yourself?

could possibly, even just remotely,
be a poor choice

All places can be "remotely" bad choices. When people started to object it was Amsterdam. "It's all just sex and drugs!!!11". To a European, that's simply a joke. The same people continuing to object to Pattaya doesn't make the argument stronger.

If Pattaya is such an obviously bad place for a conference, why is one of Thailand's biggest and most modern conference centres there?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pattaya_Exhibition_and_Convention_Hall
julz
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 05:00:16 PM

All this argument about Pattaya & Amsterdam...    my question is why has the concept of an annual bitcoin conference been fragmented like this anyway???

I'd really like to hear Bruce's reasoning on this. I think a single world bitcoin expo/conference would have much more impact in terms of PR opportunities as well as efficiency for Bitcoin startups looking to spruik their offerings.

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
Colargol

Activity: 85
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 05:07:17 PM

Oh Come on. Just go up to this post by worldly, to take just one example. This person hasn't just done some search on "conferences in Pattaya" but has actually been there.

Can you find the other posts from people who live in Thailand and who say it's no major issue and it's a good place due to the communications anyway yourself?

Yes I have been following all these threads.

Are these the only people we want to appeal to? Have you not seen all the posts by people who feel it is a very bad idea... does it matter they might not have a clear idea on what the place is really like? Are you more interested in getting people interested in Pattaya or in promoting Bitcoin?

Please tell us dexfor. Why is a Pattaya Bitcoin conference so important to you?

I think we know why Bruce Wagner wants a conference there, but why do you seem so adamant a Bitcoin conference takes place in that particular location?

Please donate a few pennies to the singing and dancing bear:
1KUsZU8GkUAQJH5ryqSFtTJGgFtqJnsedE
defxor

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 05:10:48 PM

Why is a Bitcoin conference so important to you?

It isn't and I have no interest whatsoever in visiting Pattaya. I just dislike ignorance, and "many people are ignorant" is not a good argument Smiley

(I will go to the conference in Amsterdam though, since I go to conferences there regularly anyway)
fcmatt
Legendary

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 05:23:31 PM

It isn't and I have no interest whatsoever in visiting Pattaya. I just dislike ignorance, and "many people are ignorant" is not a good argument Smiley

(I will go to the conference in Amsterdam though, since I go to conferences there regularly anyway)

So basically what you are saying is that people are ignorant if they are worried a bitcoin conference in a world wide known
sexual tourist destination might be a bad idea?
defxor

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 05:30:52 PM

So basically what you are saying is that people are ignorant if they are worried a bitcoin conference in a world wide known

No, I'm saying they're ignorant because they claim Amsterdam is only known for drugs & sex, Pattaya is only known for child prostitution, New York is only known for drug related gang wars, San Francisco is only known as a great place to meet friendly bums, Moscow is only known as the place where former KGB agents assassinate journalists etc.

Feel free to answer the question I wrote to you earlier:

If Pattaya is such an obviously bad place for a conference, why is one of Thailand's biggest and most modern conference centres there?

defxor

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 05:38:36 PM

Maybe

"Maybe" is not a good argument. Why should your "maybe" be of significance?

Hey look, in 2009 that same conference center had an expo called "MONEY EXPO Pattaya 2009" - by Thailand's first bank. Must be a really bad place for conferences, especially about money.

fcmatt
Legendary

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 05:45:37 PM

No, I'm saying they're ignorant because they claim Amsterdam is only known for drugs & sex, Pattaya is only known for child prostitution, New York is only known for drug related gang wars, San Francisco is only known as a great place to meet friendly bums, Moscow is only known as the place where former KGB agents assassinate journalists etc.

Every major city has conference center or centers and Pattaya having one or more is hardly surprising. It is a straw man argument.
Since Pattaya has conference centers it must be a good choice for a convention, thus my point has been made. It clearly ignores
that the debate is about the location being a sex tourist destination with a world wide reputation and attaching bitcoin's image to it.
For one person to do that without considering the possible repercussions was short sighted.

As for Amsterdam, by itself it is a pretty darn good choice, but then this thread is not about Amsterdam being an image problem for
Bitcoin.
defxor

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 05:48:56 PM
Last edit: August 28, 2011, 05:59:54 PM by defxor

the debate is about the location being a sex tourist destination with a world wide reputation and attaching bitcoin's image to it

If that was true (and it's also a straw man btw), can you point me to where those organizations that have had conferences in Pattaya has had a sex tourist destination image attached to their reputation?

I'll start by claiming you won't be able to.

edit: Ah, I did remember correctly. You were indeed one of the persons who claimed Amsterdam was a bad choice due to it "being known for weed".

So a city known for old men on vacation having sex with young girls/boys and another city known for weed.
That is really setting a high standard for bitcoin convention places.

That just strikes me as sad. What group of people would decide those are the best two places to hold conferences?
What does that say about them and the people they are hoping to attend via those city attractions?

That's what ignorance looks like.

As for Amsterdam, by itself it is a pretty darn good choice
Bruce Wagner

Activity: 336
Merit: 252

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 05:57:04 PM

Exactly that.

This thread, like most of the threads in this forum, has become overrun by 98% 13-year-old children who are making a concerted trolling attack on the Bitcoin Forums.   Don't fall for it.   That's all they are.... just children trolling for jollies.   Like kids playing telephone pranks.

It is very sad that it is destroying the Bitcoin Community's central point of communication.    Oh for the "old days" when adults discussed topics relevant to bitcoin... with other adults... here in these forums.

Sadly, a certain percentage of real people will come here and read these posts and believe that they are posted by other real people...  And they will begin to believe that there is some percentage of people who believe a certain way...   When, in fact, the entire thread.... and the entire forum... is being "social engineered" by a bunch of 13-year-old kids.

For anyone's information, Thailand is extremely strict about child abuse.   Mess around with anyone under 18 and you are SURE to find yourself in a Thai prison for life.    In New York City ( the states of New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut ), the legal age of consent is 17.   In Thailand, the age is 18.    And EVERYONE checks... in three ways.    So if anyone is thinking about going to Thailand for child-sex....  You'd better think again!     It's not going to happen there without severe consequences.

Also, Be Warned:  Thailand is extremely harsh on illegal drugs.   The smallest amount of an illegal substance brought into Thailand WILL result in the death penalty.   Make no mistake about it.

If you are looking for these things, Thailand is NOT the place for you.

Don't be misled by the false information being posted by 13-year-old kids trolling for laughs here.

Also, as we already announced.....   We are working on Bitcoin Conferences in ALL of the following cities: 

• Dubai
  • Pattaya
  • Sydney
  • San Jose
  • Mumbai
  • Warsaw
  • Moscow
  • Seoul
  • Rio de Janeiro
  • New York City
  • Shenzhen
  • London

I believe that "The Big Conference" will be the one held in New York City each year.

Obviously, everyone can pick and choose which cities they would like to attend.  If you don't care for one of the cities on the list, please do not attend that one.

On another topic, the current state of this Forum has made it almost useless.... with the children who are all about vandalizing the forum with viscous comments and attacking everyone.   I am considering starting my own Forum --- separate from this one --- for adults only.   I don't really have time to moderate a Forum, but I will hire someone to do so if I need to.   We need a Forum for open adult discussion.
julz
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 06:01:51 PM

I believe that "The Big Conference" will be the one held in New York City each year.

Would you consider using a different terminology then?  e.g strictly refer to this as the bitcoin world 'expo' ?

I really think you've 'diluted' the conference idea by having so many locations.. but different terminology might help raise the status of the main one.

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
Colargol

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 06:05:43 PM

It isn't and I have no interest whatsoever in visiting Pattaya.

Then I would suggest you sir have no business in arguing for a Bitcoin conference in Pattaya. You clearly are not even interested in promoting Bitcoin. You just seem to want to score some debate points on a subject that has nothing to do with Bitcoin itself.

I am done with talking with you about this. 

defxor

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 06:07:23 PM

On another topic, the current state of this Forum has made it almost useless.... with the children who are all about vandalizing the forum with viscous comments and attacking everyone.   I am considering starting my own Forum --- separate from this one --- for adults only.   I don't really have time to moderate a Forum, but I will hire someone to do so if I need to.   We need a Forum for open adult discussion.

Agreed - and that's basically what I asked SgtSpike if bitcoinforums.net would do or not: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=37801.0

I'm fully in favor of relaxed moderation, but there's obviously concerted trolling going on here where it's not about expressing opinions anymore.

(I don't believe it's about young or adult though. Just ignorance)

I am done with talking with you about this. 

I would expect so, since you're unable to back up your argument Smiley
fcmatt
Legendary

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 06:10:48 PM

the debate is about the location being a sex tourist destination with a world wide reputation and attaching bitcoin's image to it

If that was true (and it's also a straw man btw), can you point me to where those organizations that have had conferences in Pattaya has had a sex tourist destination image attached to their reputation?

edit: Ah, I did remember correctly. You were indeed one of the persons who claimed Amsterdam was a bad choice due to it "being known for weed".

So a city known for old men on vacation having sex with young girls/boys and another city known for weed.
That is really setting a high standard for bitcoin convention places.

That just strikes me as sad. What group of people would decide those are the best two places to hold conferences?
What does that say about them and the people they are hoping to attend via those city attractions?

That's what ignorance looks like.

As for Amsterdam, by itself it is a pretty darn good choice

To address the second part of your post. When I realized why he choose Pattaya it made me to begin to question why
he choose Amsterdam. Putting them both together is why i was skeptical. That about sums that up.

And you do realize other people can read your posts and come to the conclusion you like to be argumentative, a show off,
and otherwise put people down because you think you are smarter then them. I was reading a different thread today and
thought, "gee, he is an ass", but I will not let that change how I attempt to debate this topic with him.
defxor

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 06:14:54 PM

And you do realize other people can read your posts and come to the conclusion you like to be argumentative

Yes, that is how I debate trolls. If you want serious discussions I suggest you try to base your arguments on facts and not opinions - and I'll treat your posts differently.

Colargol

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 06:18:25 PM

This thread, like most of the threads in this forum, has become overrun by 98% 13-year-old children who are making a concerted trolling attack on the Bitcoin Forums.   Don't fall for it.   That's all they are.... just children trolling for jollies.   Like kids playing telephone pranks.

Really. You include me in that too do you?

I am over 50 years old, and I believe I and many others here have expressed our concerns maturely and logically.
Will you care to respond to them in kind rather than childishly calling us names?

Start by giving us a good reason for choosing Pattaya, given its reputation among many who we don't want to turn off and turn away from Bitcoin.
You do want to get ordinary people interested don't you?

It seems you are fast losing any credibility as a Bitcoin spokesman. Will you please address our concerns?  

defxor

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 06:21:19 PM

Start by giving us a good reason for choosing Pattaya, given its reputation among many

Hey look, in 2009 that same conference center had an expo called "MONEY EXPO Pattaya 2009" - by Thailand's first bank. Must be a really bad place for conferences, especially about money.

they're ignorant because they claim Amsterdam is only known for drugs & sex, Pattaya is only known for child prostitution, New York is only known for drug related gang wars, San Francisco is only known as a great place to meet friendly bums, Moscow is only known as the place where former KGB agents assassinate journalists etc.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2011, 06:43:06 PM

P.E.A.C.H. is the acronym for PATTAYA EXHIBITION AND CONVENTION HALL. It's probably a given the acronym was carefully picked by marketers to reflect its local environment. Seating capacity is only 8,000, therefore not enough space to hold next year's conference since, by then, Bitcoin will have grown by leaps and bounds. I can foresee the ill news now about how not enough thought was given when deciding to hold a World Conference and Expo at such a small venue. A lot of Bitcoiners will become highly upset when they realize that they won't be able to attend the Bitcoin conference in Pattaya due to it being sold out.

Ergo, Pattaya is a now a bad idea on two counts: Location, location, location and size matters.

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2011, 07:14:35 PM

This thread, like most of the threads in this forum, has become overrun by 98% 13-year-old children who are making a concerted trolling attack on the Bitcoin Forums.   Don't fall for it.   That's all they are.... just children trolling for jollies.   Like kids playing telephone pranks.

Really. You include me in that too do you?

I am over 50 years old, and I believe I and many others here have expressed our concerns maturely and logically.
Will you care to respond to them in kind rather than childishly calling us names?

Start by giving us a good reason for choosing Pattaya, given its reputation among many who we don't want to turn off and turn away from Bitcoin.
You do want to get ordinary people interested don't you?

It seems you are fast losing any credibility as a Bitcoin spokesman. Will you please address our concerns?  

YOU GOT TO BE MOTHER FUCKIN' KIDDING ME!!! (forgive me folks--it takes a hell of a lot to get be pissed)

That is how an adult handles a hot topic? On this, and several other threads, most have stated how Pattaya is a bad idea. I, for one, have asked you to come here and offer up your professional insight on how Pattaya is a good idea because maybe we excluded something. I smiled when I first saw your avatar knowing damn well you did just that. Blood starting shooting out of my dick (and eye balls) when I read the first line (quoted). I had to reread the rest of your posts for the first time through I wasn't thinking properly.

You must honestly believe that 98% of the writers on this thread are 13-year-old children, otherwise you wouldn't have wrote it, for you're an intelligent man. Now, you look like a kid who's ready to pick up his bat and ball and go home start a new forum for only adults. All this from a man I look up to, read his posts, watch his videos, pay attention to who advertises on OnlyOneTV, etc. It's comments like that that could lose your credibility and viewership.

Quick poll: Participate by quoting this post and stating your age (approximately will be fine, but be honest) -- I'm 51 Years Old.

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: