News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Would you go to Pattaya?
Yes
No

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Pattaya  (Read 33948 times)
defxor

Activity: 530
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 07:29:44 PM

most

Don't ever mistake the vocal minority for a majority.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
defxor

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 07:33:38 PM

Take your friend dexfor with you. --- I hope you two have a nice vacation in sex land

How surprising, more ignorance.

I have no interest whatsoever in visiting Pattaya
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2011, 07:46:14 PM

most

Don't ever mistake the vocal minority for a majority.

Stupid me! Thanks, defxor.
ArtForz

Activity: 406
Merit: 257

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 07:57:44 PM

And people wonder why most old timers just switch on their mental killfile on here...

bitcoin: 1Fb77Xq5ePFER8GtKRn2KDbDTVpJKfKmpz
i0coin: jNdvyvd6v6gV3kVJLD7HsB5ZwHyHwAkfdw
makomk

Activity: 686
Merit: 564

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 08:03:51 PM

So, I was catching up with Twitter and I noticed that someone entirely unrelated to Bitcoin had linked this Wikileaked cable about Pattaya. Makes for very interesting reading, between the police corruption and murder of a reporter that covered it, the sex trade, the deaths of American citizens, etc...

Quad XC6SLX150 Board: 860 MHash/s or so.
SIGS ABOUT BUTTERFLY LABS ARE PAID ADS
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2011, 08:19:00 PM

So, I was catching up with Twitter and I noticed that someone entirely unrelated to Bitcoin had linked this Wikileaked cable about Pattaya. Makes for very interesting reading, between the police corruption and murder of a reporter that covered it, the sex trade, the deaths of American citizens, etc...

It's 13-year-olds like you, makomk, that make me sick to my stomach with your posts such as this. I can't believe I'm even quoting it. I'm going to start my own Bitcoin forum for 15-18 y/o boys who'll love Bitcoin as much as I do. In 2 years, you'll be welcome to join, provided, of course, you're bigger mature by then.

Sometimes satire is the highest truth. (I found that phrase via Google)

Colargol

Activity: 85
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 09:05:51 PM

My replies continuing this discussion will be here:  http://onlyonetv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3

Please donate a few pennies to the singing and dancing bear:
1KUsZU8GkUAQJH5ryqSFtTJGgFtqJnsedE
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2011, 09:17:54 PM

My replies continuing this discussion will be here:  http://onlyonetv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3

Thank you, Bruce. I look forward to viewing them. I haven't check, but make sure to supply the same text to the other threads. Thanks, again.

Colargol

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 09:19:55 PM

Btw, isn't it the same group, The Cypherpunks, that are behind such things as pgp and bittorrent etc., who are the same people who are behind wikileaks and Bitcoin?  

I remember back in the late 90's ( edit/ late 80s I meant ) checking out everything they were up to, with the re-mailers and pgp and all the rest... before there was even this new fangled thing called the World Wide Web.  Or maybe I am just a child who happened to hear about that stuff back before I was born.  

But anyway maybe this is their way of trying to point out how a Bitcoin conference in Pattaya is such a friggin bad idea, and this self-appointed spokesman for Bitcoin is becoming a liability.  Or maybe it is a hoax perpetrated by a bunch of children.  

The fact that over 3/4 of the readers of this thread voted "no" should've been enough for Bruce to rethink this whole idea.  Let him and his followers leave to where they can moderate out all disagreement in their own private forum.  

aq

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 09:25:43 PM

Bruce knows Pattaya from first hand experience as he has been there. And it seems that Bruce knows all parts of town. A few seconds using google gave me http://thaiboys.net/guidebook/index.php?venue=thaiboy.net&id_tha=1104&last=6703 where Bruce writes about http://www.boyztown-pattaya.com/. So we can be sure that Bruce has a full picture of Pattaya.
And we know Bruce wants to go there. I am sure that Bruce also knows that some bad press can happen from the Pattaya-Bitcoin link. I mean he runs some media business, so he has to know this himself.

The question is can we trust him that he can keep apart his personal desire from what is good for bitcoin?
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2011, 09:30:47 PM

Btw, isn't it the same group, The Cypherpunks, that are behind such things as pgp and bittorrent etc., who are the same people who are behind wikileaks and Bitcoin?  

I remember back in the late 90's ( edit/ late 80s I meant ) checking out everything they were up to, with the re-mailers and pgp and all the rest... before there was even this new fangled thing called the World Wide Web.  Or maybe I am just a child who happened to hear about that stuff back before I was born.  

But anyway maybe this is their way of trying to point out how a Bitcoin conference in Pattaya is such a friggin bad idea, and this self-appointed spokesman for Bitcoin is becoming a liability.  Or maybe it is a hoax perpetrated by a bunch of children.  

The fact that over 3/4 of the readers of this thread voted "no" should've been enough for Bruce to rethink this whole idea.  Let him and his followers leave to where they can moderate out all disagreement in their own private forum.  

John Gilmore?    Very, very interesting!

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2011, 09:37:27 PM

I believe that "The Big Conference" will be the one held in New York City each year.

Would you consider using a different terminology then?  e.g strictly refer to this as the bitcoin world 'expo' ?

I really think you've 'diluted' the conference idea by having so many locations.. but different terminology might help raise the status of the main one.

Yes.   I had been thinking the same thing.    See:  http://onlyonetv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3

This: http://www.linkedin.com/answers/marketing-sales/advertising-promotion/events-marketing/MAR_ADP_EVM/294079-170718

Colargol

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 09:42:19 PM

The question is can we trust him...

I think at the very least he be asked to change the name of his online show from "The Bitcoin Show" to something that doesn't suggest he is some kind of official spokesman for Bitcoin, just as he should use appropriate labels for these "conferences" he is organizing. 

defxor

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 09:42:53 PM

Two seconds with Google would be the average time needed to disprove that hypothesis.
Colargol

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 10:00:50 PM

Two seconds with Google would be the average time needed to disprove that hypothesis.

Maybe if you spend more than two seconds you might find something like this:

Making Money - Gavin Andresen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4f3E_jddoq0

( I already saw it before which is why I remember the cypherpunk reference. )
Where Gavin talks about Satoshi being "definitely inspired by The Cypherpunks." Who knows if Satoshi was directed linked to them or just inspired. They are of course of a common mind it seems to me. 

Btw, did your google searches find that wikileak thing just recently posted? 

Does that change your mind in any way? 

No, I didn't think it would.

Run away little troll. Run away. 

Or stay and keep trying to disrupt things. You're choice. 

Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 10:03:29 PM

After listening to this song I'm all in! Tongue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQjmLaqUmn4

Oh and "cypherpunk" is an ideology, not a fixed group of people or an asssociation.

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
defxor

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 10:04:16 PM

They are of course of a common mind it seems to me. 

Yes. So is everyone else who got into computers in that era. Myself included.

That "the same" group would be behind the completely different projects you listed isn't any more plausable though, especially since we know the identities of everyone except Satoshi.

Colargol

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 10:06:53 PM

Oh and "cypherpunk" is an ideology, not a fixed group of people or an asssociation.

Yes!   

defxor

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 10:27:44 PM

Yes!   

vs

isn't it the same group, The Cypherpunks, that are

makes no sense.

Anyway, since you wanted to talk about the wikileaks cable. Did you read it?

the most common crimes in Pattaya are petty thefts committed by local youths. When it comes to safety for foreigners, there were universal concurrences from our warden, the Thai Rath reporter, and Thai officials that Pattaya is generally safe for tourists, and that all of the police elements are sincere in keeping things orderly.

For comparison: First time I stayed in San Francisco (Marriott next to the Moscone center) the hotel concierge drew a line on the map, touching the hotel location, saying "don't cross this line after dark".

The opening of Thailand's new Suvarnabhumi airport will also benefit Pattaya, as Thailand's largest international travel hub moves from a location on the opposite side of Bangkok to a location nearest to Pattaya.

Anyways. I have a book suggestion for you. Neuromancer, by Gibson. Cypherpunk (most definitely not a group) was coined much later, but is partly based on that world view.
Colargol

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 10:52:33 PM

Anyway, since you wanted to talk about the wikileaks cable. Did you read it?

Yes I did and like I said I am not surprised you would find support for your own views in it, even though it overall just confirms what a bad choice that place is for a conference, which would promote Bitcoin in the public mind, as opposed to some other kind of conference.

Anyways. I have a book suggestion for you. Neuromancer, by Gibson. Cypherpunk (most definitely not a group) was coined much later, but is partly based on that world view.

I have read most if not all of Gibson's books as well as Neal Stephenson's books and many other "cyberpunk" authors. And as I said I am fairly familiar with the "Cypherpunks" although I don't know the names of all who choose to call themselves that.  And it is so unusual to call people sharing a similar ideology a group isn't it? In any case I don't see how it changes the theory I pondered in any way.  It's just something I found interesting. Nothing to argue about is it? But then you just like being argumentative don't you? Disagreeing solely for the sake of showing you are smarter than another or something.  You are really helpful to this Bitcoin community aren't you? 

*sigh*

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: