Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 09:28:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Double geometric method: Hopping-proof, low-variance reward system  (Read 75438 times)
Graet
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2011, 01:51:02 AM

Ozcoin Pooled Mining now offers DGM  Grin

Thanks Meni  Cheesy

| Ozcoin Pooled Mining Pty Ltd https://ozcoin.net Double Geometric Reward System https://lc.ozcoin.net for Litecoin mining DGM| https://crowncloud.net VPS and Dedicated Servers for the BTC community

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Meni Rosenfeld (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2011, 05:28:48 PM

Thanks Meni  Cheesy
Cool. Smiley Good luck.

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4480
Merit: 1800

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
January 01, 2012, 01:08:04 AM

Thanks Meni  Cheesy
Cool. Smiley Good luck.
So ... how does this fare with someone who only mines 18 hours a day?

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
Meni Rosenfeld (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2012, 05:50:40 AM

Thanks Meni  Cheesy
Cool. Smiley Good luck.
On average you get exactly your fair reward, with a relatively low variance.

Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
kano
Legendary

View Profile
January 01, 2012, 06:08:22 AM

Ozcoin Pooled Mining now offers DGM  Grin

Thanks Meni  Cheesy
Cool. Smiley Good luck.
"Fair reward" is a meaningless statement as you well know.

But these 'geometric' methods are affected by start/stop times to deal with hoppers.
Basically the whole reason they exist.

So it has NO negative effect at all on someone who stops and starts mining?
Or are you just using that vague "Fair" word to mean your definition of "Fair" is that yes you will get less BTC because that's fair?

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2012, 07:11:47 AM

Ozcoin Pooled Mining now offers DGM  Grin

Thanks Meni  Cheesy
Cool. Smiley Good luck.

But these 'geometric' methods are affected by start/stop times to deal with hoppers.

Or are you just using that vague "Fair" word to mean your definition of "Fair" is that yes you will get less BTC because that's fair?

Could you be a little clearer? It's easier to show you where you're wrong if I can follow what you mean.

To start with, what does
mean?

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
Meni Rosenfeld (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2012, 07:39:55 AM

By "fair reward" I mean pB per share, where p = 1/difficulty at the time the share was submitted and B is the block reward at the time the share was submitted. This is what you'd get with PPS (disregarding fees).

If you use a mining reward calculator to find what you'll get per day for mining with your hashrate, then for mining 18 hours per day you'll get on average exactly 3/4 of that amount - the reward is proportional to the work you put in. If you mine for a minute a day you'll get on average 1/1440 (1440 minutes in a day) of what you'd get for mining the whole day with the same hashrate, though your variance will be high (though not nearly as high as with high-variance methods like Geometric).

This indicates a misunderstanding of how these methods work. DGM doesn't care at all when you started or stopped mining. It doesn't try to detect hoppers and punish them. It rewards each share separately, in a way that is independent of the past and thus does not offer any incentive to hop.

Correct.

I think you'll find that my interpretation of "fair" as described above is reasonable.

Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2012, 05:48:11 PM

Some of the confusion I think I'm seeing with DGM is the lag time between cause and effect.  Most people seem to have figured it out, but occasionally there will be some new people or what have you that don't understand that what you do right now won't necessarily affect your payout for another 4 - 7 blocks.

For example, on EMC, if you stop mining right now, your Proportional Differential will be higher than if you had kept mining for the current block.  However, 4 - 7 blocks down the road, your prop differential is going to start taking a bit of a dive until it evens out the increase you saw on the block you stopped mining on, then it will start picking back up to neutral territory.

It makes for some confusing cause and effect if you aren't prepared for it or understand what's going on. 

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
Meni Rosenfeld (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2012, 06:23:57 PM

Some of the confusion I think I'm seeing with DGM is the lag time between cause and effect.  Most people seem to have figured it out, but occasionally there will be some new people or what have you that don't understand that what you do right now won't necessarily affect your payout for another 4 - 7 blocks.
It makes for some confusing cause and effect if you aren't prepared for it or understand what's going on. 
I like to think of it as a capacitor. If you have a light bulb and capacitor in parallel connected to a DC source, the bulb won't be lit right away. As the capacitor charges more current is routed through the bulb and it becomes brighter, until it reaches its maximum brightness as if there was no capacitor. If the power source is disconnected, the bulb gradually fades as the capacitor discharges its stored energy through the bulb. No energy is lost.

Of course there are many other real-life examples of this dynamic. Electric radiative space heaters come to mind - you turn them on and only after a while they become hot and heat the room. The dynamic is the same also quantitatively - in all 3 cases it can be modeled with (dx / dt) = a - bx, where a becomes 0 when the source is discontinued, and where x is itself the derivative of some quantity of interest.

For example, on EMC, if you stop mining right now, your Proportional Differential will be higher than if you had kept mining for the current block.  However, 4 - 7 blocks down the road, your prop differential is going to start taking a bit of a dive until it evens out the increase you saw on the block you stopped mining on, then it will start picking back up to neutral territory.
This comment confused me until I realized you meant that you stop mining and resume sometime later.

Inaba
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2012, 10:11:42 PM

Yes, a capacitor is a good analogy, though I think the heater is a better layman description for people to get the concept.  I think I'll use that going forward. 

Sorry about being confusing, I actually thought to myself I should clarify that but then promptly forgot to do so before posting. But yes, I did mean to imply that you resumed mining at some point.

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
kano
Legendary

View Profile
January 01, 2012, 10:42:58 PM

By "fair reward" I mean pB per share, where p = 1/difficulty at the time the share was submitted and B is the block reward at the time the share was submitted. This is what you'd get with PPS (disregarding fees).

If you use a mining reward calculator to find what you'll get per day for mining with your hashrate, then for mining 18 hours per day you'll get on average exactly 3/4 of that amount - the reward is proportional to the work you put in. If you mine for a minute a day you'll get on average 1/1440 (1440 minutes in a day) of what you'd get for mining the whole day with the same hashrate, though your variance will be high (though not nearly as high as with high-variance methods like Geometric).

This indicates a misunderstanding of how these methods work. DGM doesn't care at all when you started or stopped mining. It doesn't try to detect hoppers and punish them. It rewards each share separately, in a way that is independent of the past and thus does not offer any incentive to hop.
Sorry - they were also meant to be "?" like the 2 lines after them Smiley

-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2012, 03:14:14 AM
Last edit: January 12, 2012, 05:01:43 AM by ckolivas

Don't forget to poll every DGM pool to find which is currently paying the most per share and hop to that site till the value drops on the next block they find...

Edit: If it wasn't obvious, this was me explaining how DGM is hoppable.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
Meni Rosenfeld (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2012, 05:05:58 AM

Don't forget to poll every DGM pool to find which is currently paying the most per share and hop to that site till the value drops on the next block they find...

Edit: If it wasn't obvious, this was me explaining how DGM is hoppable.
Yes, it was obvious that you do not understand how DGM works. DGM is hopping-proof, the expected payout per share is constant.

Inaba
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2012, 05:08:07 AM

I don't see how you explain DGM is hoppable - can you explain exactly which/what pools list an amount they are paying per share?  There's exactly two DGM pools that I know of and neither of them pay a set amount per share.

Meni Rosenfeld (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2012, 05:12:51 AM

I don't see how you explain DGM is hoppable - can you explain exactly which/what pools list an amount they are paying per share?  There's exactly two DGM pools that I know of and neither of them pay a set amount per share.
Presumably he means checking the parameters of each pool and its current state and calculate the reward from this... Which leads us back to the the expected reward being completely independent of the current state, since it depends only on the future and not the past.

kano
Legendary

View Profile
January 12, 2012, 05:50:07 AM

Hmm will be interesting to see my total payout after I stop mining Ozcoin some time in the future (also after I get all the after amounts)
Coz I joined them a few days ago when their luck was showing high, but I guess that doesn't mean I get more ...

-ck
Legendary

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2012, 06:00:45 AM
Last edit: January 12, 2012, 06:14:32 AM by ckolivas

http://ozco.in/content/share-payout-comparison-bitcoin

It seems to me if a pool has a long enough run of luck, you join in and benefit while the value slowly works its way back down as the luck turns.

-ck
-ck
Legendary

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2012, 06:19:50 AM

http://ozco.in/content/share-payout-comparison-bitcoin

It seems to me if a pool has a long enough run of luck, you join in and benefit while the value slowly works its way back down as the luck turns.
By the way, I'm not saying this disadvantages the long term miners in any way...

-ck
kano
Legendary

View Profile
January 12, 2012, 07:37:53 AM

Yep Hopping doesn't have to mean your gain is someone else's loss.
Maybe many think those two ideas are directly connected - but obviously in this case - they aren't.
What I guess DGM does is allow you to capitalise on the fact that when a pool is lucky, that luck extends beyond the time when it occurs
Thus you can get part of that luck after the fact.

Meni Rosenfeld (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2012, 10:15:41 AM

In the capacitor analogy, every miner has a capacitor which is charged as he submits shares, and its charge level affects how much he gets per future block found. The pool at large does not have a capacitor which charges as blocks are found and affects the reward for future shares submitted. The pool's history has no effect whatsoever on the rewards for future shares.

Hmm will be interesting to see my total payout after I stop mining Ozcoin some time in the future (also after I get all the after amounts)
Coz I joined them a few days ago when their luck was showing high, but I guess that doesn't mean I get more ...
The pool's luck in the past has no effect on your rewards. The pool's luck only affects you if your capacitor is charged at the time.

No. If you read the method's description you'll see that finding a block has two effects:
1. Giving out rewards to miners who currently have a score
2. Decrease the score of miners who currently have a score
It has no effect whatsoever on future miners (or on the rewards of current miners for shares they will submit in the future - only those that they submitted in the past).

Yep Hopping doesn't have to mean your gain is someone else's loss.
Maybe many think those two ideas are directly connected - but obviously in this case - they aren't.
Yes it does. With a given total hashrate, a pool's average reward is constant. If one miner gets on average more than his fair share, it means another gets less. In a hopping-proof method like DGM everyone gets their fair share on average.

What I guess DGM does is allow you to capitalise on the fact that when a pool is lucky, that luck extends beyond the time when it occurs
Thus you can get part of that luck after the fact.
Absolutely not. The luck extends backward in time, not forward. You can't get part of the luck after the fact.

To be completely honest, I'm growing weary of having to repeat the same thing over and over again.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: