Bitcoin Forum
July 06, 2024, 07:30:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin + Boinc - A truly revolution?  (Read 4325 times)
solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 07:13:26 PM

Am I going crazy or are we putting our electricity in the trash while hundred thousands people die?

Your motives are good but your position against Bitcoin mining as currently implemented is not

Check out Primecoin.

Gridcoin

Activity: 364
Merit: 252

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2014, 10:44:52 PM

Gridcoin, what you're saying sounds like it's a bit centralized, isn't it? If you need a central SQL database to keep track of things, then there has to be an entity in charge of it right?

I've also never heard a solution to the problem of people mining random problems, and then just waiting for one of the solutions to become relevant. Is there a way around that now?

With hashes you can't tell what hash is going to be next. So it's pointless to try and premine the next block. This is how I understand it anyway.
Hi BigJohn,

Centralized: No; we're p2p for the coin, decentralized for the boinc clients, and the 3rd party PoW check is limited to 60 independent boinc apis, and we continue to function when an internet point of failure dies off (or if the APIs die off).

Our SQL servers are p2p; each client runs an sql server.  The ledger is replicated and synchronized p2p.

I do not understand the part about premining.  I was referencing storing generic data in a distributed fashion across multiple SQL servers with the cryptoexchange of new rows contributing to part of the PoW.  Were going to use this for storing our leaderboard info and our cpuminers outstanding payment list, confirms of pool mining payments and transactions etc.

Thanks,
Rob H

Gridcoin: scientia humana libertas
paladini (OP)

Activity: 43
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 01:49:43 PM

Thanks for answer, guys!

I can't reply all, but I read all.

Summarizing, we can't adapt Bitcoin to process relevant data (BOINC, Folding@Home, etc.), right? But... what about developers update the Bitcoin algorithm to do something more usable? Is that impossible too?

And about Gridcoin, this may do what the creator say, but Gridcoin isn't used by 90% of miners of cryptocurrencies in the world, so, this can't help a lot and flees the main subject: adapt Bitcoin to do useful things.
traderman
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 03:07:30 PM

I think at this stage in the game it is too late for Bitcoin to add anything like Boinc.

Gridcoin will grow, just give it some time.
paladini (OP)

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 12:48:17 AM

I think at this stage in the game it is too late for Bitcoin to add anything like Boinc.

So you're saying to forget Bitcoin, the most mined criptocurrency in the world? It's really important do something more useful with the power used mining Bitcoin, don't care if exist other coins with this purpose. Bitcoin is the most used criptocurrency and probably will continue, we can deny and forget this.

traderman
Legendary

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 01:17:26 AM

I did not say forget Bitcoin, I said probably no one will be modifying the bitcoin client to work with Boinc. I am guessing English is not your first language.

So you're saying to forget Bitcoin, the most mined criptocurrency in the world? It's really important do something more useful with the power used mining Bitcoin, don't care if exist other coins with this purpose. Bitcoin is the most used criptocurrency and probably will continue, we can deny and forget this.

joeykrug

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 01:34:58 AM

Also, Gridcoin has a feature coming up that will allow gpus to sleep instead of mining part of the time and use their power towards boinc, and all gpus would wake up in the case of an attack on the network. (difficulty here is relative, e.g. 75% of network sleeping and only hashing 25% of time results in competing against 1/4 the network so you'd still mine coins at the same rate)  Therefore, unlike someone posted above, Gridcoin is not simply the same as running litecoin + boinc in the background, it instead provides a much more computationally and energy efficient mining process that can be used to donate extra gpu processing power to boinc, unlike litecoin
paladini (OP)

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 12:55:29 PM

I did not say forget Bitcoin, I said probably no one will be modifying the bitcoin client to work with Boinc. I am guessing English is not your first language.

Well, that's what I'm trying to do here: convence people to modify bitcoin client. And yes, English isn't my first language. Sorry if my government don't give me good education and I don't was born in a country that speaks english as native language. I must learn it by myself, I'm not on the first world, but I and a lot of brazilians are trying to change it. Again, sorry if I can't speak English you want.
paladini (OP)

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 12:56:50 PM

Also, Gridcoin has a feature coming up that will allow gpus to sleep instead of mining part of the time and use their power towards boinc, and all gpus would wake up in the case of an attack on the network. (difficulty here is relative, e.g. 75% of network sleeping and only hashing 25% of time results in competing against 1/4 the network so you'd still mine coins at the same rate)  Therefore, unlike someone posted above, Gridcoin is not simply the same as running litecoin + boinc in the background, it instead provides a much more computationally and energy efficient mining process that can be used to donate extra gpu processing power to boinc, unlike litecoin

Thanks for your reply, I will take a look at Gridcoin soon, but what I really want is a Bitcoin a bit more useful.
vladyslaff

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 09:06:04 AM

Thanks for your reply, I will take a look at Gridcoin soon, but what I really want is a Bitcoin a bit more useful.

Did you have a chance look into Gridcoin? We have the new version Gridcoin Release. It does resolve many of the issues discussed here.
If you need more details please read this info wiki.gridcoin.us/Main_Page

Consulting services and assistance in setting up your own systems (Lightning Network / Ethereum staking / others) for a fair price
traderman
Legendary

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 12:18:36 PM

You can also read the POR paper: http://www.gridcoin.us/guides/gridcoinpor.pdf

POR wallet download: http://download.gridcoin.us/download/downloadstake/GridcoinResearch.msi
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: